Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Lady Radia posted:

university of michigan, the champions of the west, the winningest team of the Big 10

CO State - w
Hawaii - w
Connecticut - w
Maryland - w
Iowa - w
those drat hoosier bastards - w
penn state - w
michigan state - w
rutgers - w
nebrasks - w
illinois - w
osu - w

will get washed immediately out of the playoffs.

It'll be tough to win in Ohio State, but agreed with the rest of this. The schedule is soft this year, i'd be surprised if more than 1-2 games are within 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What’s the best way for watching games without cable? Finally cut the cord and not sure what the best service is these days

I use Hulu Live TV because with the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle it's a bit cheaper than YouTube TV. It has all the same channels as YouTube TV. Only missing the vaporware Pac12 Networks. The only thing I will say about Hulu in general, and the live TV bit specifically, is that the UI is awful. Takes a bit of getting used to to navigate well on my Apple TV. However it also has ESPN+ games in the same app as linear TV so that does make things a bit more convenient.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Plus YouTube TV is reportedly adding multi-picture viewing, so you'll be able to watch up to 4 channels at once.

Yeah that’s a PlayStation Vue feature I missed when it went under.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

I use Hulu Live TV because with the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle it's a bit cheaper than YouTube TV. It has all the same channels as YouTube TV. Only missing the vaporware Pac12 Networks. The only thing I will say about Hulu in general, and the live TV bit specifically, is that the UI is awful. Takes a bit of getting used to to navigate well on my Apple TV. However it also has ESPN+ games in the same app as linear TV so that does make things a bit more convenient.

Hulu live is practically unusable on the newest chromecast (the one with the remote). So just make sure you have a decently powerful streambox if you go with that.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

wa27 posted:

Hulu live is practically unusable on the newest chromecast (the one with the remote). So just make sure you have a decently powerful streambox if you go with that.

This is good to know. I've only ever used it on the computer(ok) and Apple TV(bad but workable). The UI really is something awful.

It also has a DVR, but I think that YouTube TV has one too.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is good to know. I've only ever used it on the computer(ok) and Apple TV(bad but workable). The UI really is something awful.

The problem is you have to scroll through the guide to change the channel, and the guide is so laggy that sometimes it takes over a minute to scroll through the whole thing. Sometimes it stops responding and you have to kill the app. I would use the favorite channels guide to make a smaller guide, but I haven't been able to figure out how to add a channel, even after googling. :shrug:

It does work great for watching DVR'd content, which is what I do 95% of the time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

Unless they’ve changed it, Hulu charges extra for the DVR and caps it at 50 hours or something like that; YouTube’s DVR is no additional charge and unlimited.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd missed this silliness:

https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1562782544898433028

quote:

Why a name change? It boils down to a disagreement between the bird’s original owners — Mary Snelling and Ron Albertelli — and the new owners, Beth and Van Clark, over whether or not the animal’s “comb” on its head should be trimmed. According to a report from The (Charleston) Post & Courier, the original owners trimmed the rooster’s comb — the red, fleshy area on its head — to make the bird look more like a fighting Gamecock. The Clarks have opted to keep the comb intact, citing the health benefits to the bird. An agreement with the original owners allowing the use of the Sir Big Spur name has expired. USC is guiding the process to select a new name.

Cock Commander...

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Unless they’ve changed it, Hulu charges extra for the DVR and caps it at 50 hours or something like that; YouTube’s DVR is no additional charge and unlimited.

Hulu now has an unlimited uncapped DVR just like YouTube TV.

In my opinion the only differences between the two are price and UI. Price different wasn't huge when we made the decision, but Hulu was cheaper when you factored in the bundle, which since we have Disney+ and ESPN+ already made sense for us. The 4 show at once thing YouTube TV launched recently is interesting if you're into that, but really I don't think there's a difference in terms of what you can watch on either service.

wa27 posted:

The problem is you have to scroll through the guide to change the channel, and the guide is so laggy that sometimes it takes over a minute to scroll through the whole thing. Sometimes it stops responding and you have to kill the app. I would use the favorite channels guide to make a smaller guide, but I haven't been able to figure out how to add a channel, even after googling. :shrug:

It does work great for watching DVR'd content, which is what I do 95% of the time.

Yeah that's similar to the issue on the Apple TV. Launching the guide is the only way to change the channel. But I've never had it crash or anything. Really my issue is that the Hulu main menus are annoying, and then when you go to live TV it defaults to the last channel you were on, not the guide. That may be a setting, but I haven't found it yet. Honestly by now Hulu has learned that I like CFB, so it puts most every game on the home screen, and the sports tab is actually helpful for this as well since it puts ESPN+ games there too for me.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 25, 2022

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Plus YouTube TV is reportedly adding multi-picture viewing, so you'll be able to watch up to 4 channels at once.
it's going to revolutionize lovely Bowl Season and I cannot wait

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sir Spur? Jesus Christ Suzie it's 2022. You apologize this instant.
Cluck Norris prefers to be called Cock Commander, lil lady!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm making do with the HD antenna this year. I'm lucky enough if I have the freedom to catch a broadcast game. Biggest downside is missing some of those primetime ESPN games.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hulu has some of the worst UX I've ever seen in any product, ever.

"I want to find an episode from a show I like." Well tap left four times, then down, then up again, then right, then...oh also it'll gently caress out and skip to the next episode and you get 4 minutes of ads if you try to go back

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

YouTube TV has basically everything you’d want except PAC-12 Network, which no one has. All the ESPNs (including SECN, ACCN, and LHN), access to whatever is on ESPN3, CBSSN, FS1, and Big Ten Network. Probably just want to make sure it carries your local network stations (it usually does, but there can be exceptions).

Fubo has PAC12N, I think Sling does too?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Someone at The Daily Gamecock once accidentally ran a filler caption under a picture of Cocky at a pep rally with "I AM THE COCK COMMANDER. ALL OTHER COCKS MUST BOW BEFORE ME." It was used as an example of what not to do in journalism classes, but I mean, was anyone really mad?

Anyway, this whole thing seems pretty absurd, but it's ultimately funny as hell and a peak example of what I love about college football.

General Dog posted:

Yeah that’s a PlayStation Vue feature I missed when it went under.

Man, RIP Vue. So cheap and so good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Man, RIP Vue. So cheap and so good.

Yeah :/

It was really great.

Hulu is fine and I like the package deal with ESPN and Disney. Having ESPN app with the login helps with finding obscure games. The UI is loving awful though, and I wish it had AMC.

We used Sling for awhile years back, but it just crashed constantly on Roku, or lagged so badly it was unusable.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Regnevelc posted:

It'll be tough to win in Ohio State, but agreed with the rest of this. The schedule is soft this year, i'd be surprised if more than 1-2 games are within 10.

yeah if I’m honest with myself Ohio is probably an L but I wouldn’t be surprised if Harbaugh pulls an anti-Stroud strategy out of his rear end again, focusing on the rivalries over playoff contention (since that instantly reupped his contract last year :D)

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I miss Vue. My only complaint was that it wouldn't record local stations.

I tried Hulu Live but just couldn't handle the UI. We have the Disney+ bundle without the live still, but I had to go back to YouTube TV. One nice thing about YouTube is that you can suspend it for up to 6 months, so if you're using primarily for college sports you can just not pay over the summer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just noticed these rule changes for the year:

quote:

* If a ball carrier simulates a feet-first slide, officials will declare the runner down at that spot.

* Defensive holding will remain a 10-yard penalty but will always carry an automatic first down.

Here's a whole article on those and more

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I miss Vue. My only complaint was that it wouldn't record local stations.

That was weirdly market specific; if I remember right CBS was the only one I couldn’t record. It was laggy at the end and I preferred YouTube TV until they started increasing the price every week culminating with the $15 Viacom increase for channels I had easily lived without for a year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Hed posted:

Slide rule needed to happen. QBs were going to start getting lit up on legit slides with dudes faking

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hed posted:

I'll be honest, if you quizzed me I'd have thought defensive holding was already an automatic 1st down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Over-the-air antenna on the TV for one game, pirate internet on the computer screen for all other games.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
How do we feel about Ewers as the starter in Texas? Someone tell me how i should feel about the Longhorns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

How do we feel about Ewers as the starter in Texas? Someone tell me how i should feel about the Longhorns.

Texas is back, baby

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Looks good in a win over OU, everyone gets excited; they still manage to lose 4-5 games.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Looks good in a win over OU, everyone gets excited; they still manage to lose 4-5 games.

PostNouveau posted:

Texas is back, baby

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I can't wait for the takes to flow after Week 2 Alabama. If its even a remotely close game Texas football will be back! However, if its a true beat down...well that will be interesting too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

Texas is back, baby

Default setting, but as a step on the Kubler Ross scale.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

soggybagel posted:

Seat warmer till Arch shows up next year. Horns are forever rebuilding back

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Default setting, but as a step on the Kubler Ross scale.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

No announcement yet but it sure sounds like TJ Finley actually won the starting job

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
FuboTV has all that YouTubeTV does, is more sports focused and already has multi channel viewing

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Doesn't have TNT/TBS though, so there's some sports gap

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

soggybagel posted:

I can't wait for the takes to flow after Week 2 Alabama. If its even a remotely close game Texas football will be back! However, if its a true beat down...well that will be interesting too.

They're going to get beat to a pulp.

and i miss vue so much. it's been the best tv streaming platform i've used so far. youtube tv isn't bad, but it's. no ps vue.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 25, 2022

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I like the yttv layout the best and unlimited recordings is a plus. I only sub to live TV during the football season and I'll probably be going the hulu route this year since my parents started using it and I can always steal their account info. Their ui is still garbage and I can't believe they haven't changed it yet.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/grizzlyadams16/status/1562852927529963525?s=21&t=cSInUNT4iZPbVKbiKbYoAA

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm not sure if the acronym itself or the fact that they made a negative version in the same photo is funnier.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So, winners and losers are both Really Hard™?

Coaches are such dingalings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Didn't realize Tom Herman was on the Auburn staff.

I still think about champion levels of hydration.