Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think it's more likely the new wife is an rear end in a top hat than the entire family is obsessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for asking about my share of inheritance?

OP should just start calling her parents by their first names because they're definitely not her mom and dad.

Actually, she should call them by the WRONG first names. And change the names constantly, even during the same conversation.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

hawowanlawow posted:

I think it's more likely the new wife is an rear end in a top hat than the entire family is obsessed

Probably, but it's not impossible. It really depends on whether it's an unreasonable amount - the difference between an empty seat or small memorial at the wedding vs a five minute remembrance video played behind the first dance.

My stepmother was a heinous, selfish woman who went through something similar with my mom, and while she was absolutely an rear end in a top hat about it, I've learned now that my family was absolute garbage about comparing her constantly to a dead woman's unbeatable standard.

Here's one where the villain is more clear cut

AITA For firing an employee for driving his personal vehicle to job sites

quote:

I own and operate my own contracting company. I've been in business for almost a decade now and have almost 50 people working for me. I usually ask that my workers drive to the office in the morning and take company vans or trucks to jobsites, but I understand that isn't always the easiest option for people, so I do allow them to drive personal vehicles to jobsites if they need to. However, there has been one guy, Steve, who I have gotten a few complaints about from customers.

Steve drives a big, lifted, customized truck. It's a nice truck and I know he takes a lot of pride in it. But, the thing is covered in political stickers. Now, if you work for me I don't care what your political views are as long as you're good at your job. And Steve has been with me for about 5-years now and he's good at what he does. He's knowledgeable and efficient and overall has been a quality employee.

But, Steve has been driving his truck to jobsites pretty regularly because his kids are in daycare and it's easier for him to drop them off in the morning and then go directly to a job rather than to the office. We've talked about this and I approved it to make it easier for him.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue for me. But the last 3 customers that Steve was working with complained to me that he was parking his truck in front of their houses and they weren't comfortable with the political messaging on his truck. The last one even took pictures of his truck and posted it to social media and tagged my company on it.

I had a talk with Steve about driving his truck to jobs and told him that he's going to need to come to the office in the morning and take a company vehicle. He complained about the hassle of dropping off his kids and I told him he's going to need to figure that out, but for now I want him to leave his truck at the office as it is causing me and the company headaches.

He complied for the rest of that last job, but when we started a new one last week he started driving his own truck again. Sure enough, 3 days into the job and I got complaints from the customer about Steve's truck.

I had another talk with Steve and told him that this was no longer negotiable and that I am requiring him to take a company vehicle. He accused me of discriminating against him and it turned into a heated argument. We both said some harsh things and I eventually told him he was fired.

He has since posted a lot of negative stuff on social media about me and my company. He has also talked to a lot of my employees and some of them have taken his side and think I was in the wrong to fire him. I've had to hold a company-wide meeting about this and I have revoked the option to drive personal vehicles to jobs and now require everyone to take company vehicles, no exceptions.

Now I have people pissed off at me for taking away that option when they never got complaints, so maybe I'll have to revisit that idea, but I don't think I was an rear end in a top hat for firing Steve.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Are there countries besides the US where vehicles are used as mobile billboards for viewpoints? The most I've seen in the UK is one of those fish symbols ("I'm a christian") or a National Trust sticker ("I vote Conservative").

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for asking about my share of inheritance?

I started Binging this a bit just out of curiosity (here it's not possible to disinherit a child just by leaving them out of a will, and really quite difficult to disinherit a child at all, and children adopted after 1980 are counted as "breast heirs") and ran into this doozie:

quote:

It depends on the inheritance laws in your state. Some states require that the adopted child receives up to 50 percent of the estate before the biological children are allowed anything (Arkansas, for example).

I don't disapprove but I wonder what prompted that legislation. (Or if it's even true.)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

sephiRoth IRA posted:

NTA for firing him, but YTA for restricting current employees based on the bad actions of a dude you fired. It was never a problem, then one dude made it one and got fired. Why change it now? The bad actor is gone!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

NTA for firing him, but YTA for restricting current employees based on the bad actions of a dude you fired. It was never a problem, then one dude made it one and got fired. Why change it now? The bad actor is gone!

Presumably because the employees who were mad that Steve's gone threatened to do up their own trucks or some other annoying poo poo that got a good thing ruined for everyone else.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Steve had a yaou anime truck

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah everybody seems to gloss over the fact that those poor SOB's won't figure out that birds aren't real on their own now....

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Uncle Enzo posted:

Not making it a blanket policy is a good way to get yourself into a wrongful termination lawsuit. It not entirely out of the realm of possibility that a good lawyer could convince a stupid-enough jury that this firing was because of the dude's politics. (And even though a win for the Birds Aren't Real guy isn't likely, defending himself in that suit would still be expensive.)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

LanceHunter posted:

Not making it a blanket policy is a good way to get yourself into a wrongful termination lawsuit. It not entirely out of the realm of possibility that a good lawyer could convince a stupid-enough jury that this firing was because of the dude's politics. (And even though a win for the Birds Aren't Real guy isn't likely, defending himself in that suit would still be expensive.)

Political affiliation isn't a protected class. You can fire someone for voting for the wrong candidate, and yes, employers are allowed to ask.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Are there countries besides the US where vehicles are used as mobile billboards for viewpoints? The most I've seen in the UK is one of those fish symbols ("I'm a christian") or a National Trust sticker ("I vote Conservative").

Japan

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LanceHunter posted:

Also if the rest of the crew is defending the guy I guaranteed that stickers would start showing up on everyone else's trucks in solidarity.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Starting a union to fight for my right to fly a "gently caress UNIONS" flag.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

watch, by "contracting company" OP actually means " pool cleaning company," and the dude's monster lifted (let's be honest, Trump) truck was being used to haul a couple nets and a vacuum

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

Political affiliation isn't a protected class. You can fire someone for voting for the wrong candidate, and yes, employers are allowed to ask.

In all 50 states?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not correcting my daughter's food order for her?

quote:

A little background: my daughter (14) is shy to speak up and has an issue with advocating for herself. My husband and I have been trying to help her with this since she was a kid but too often, my husband caves in and just does things for her, which I do not think helps at all. This has been a consistent source of disagreement between us.

Tonight, I took her and my son (11) out to dinner. My daughter ordered a burrito with no beans, she absolutely hates beans. When her food came out, you guessed it, it had beans in it. She complained to me about it and I told her to get the waiter's attention and correct it. She whined and asked me to do it for her and that she was too nervous. I told her that it was ok to be nervous but that she would feel so much better if she did it herself. I offered to roleplay with me as the waiter so she could practice if she wanted. She refused and repeatedly asked me to "please just do it."

I don't want my daughter to grow up dependent on other people so I feel it is important that she do this herself. I told her that I wasn't going to say anything and that she was a young woman more than able to handle a simple interaction. I even gave her the exact line to say to the waiter but she wouldn't budge.

So she just sat there, very sullenly eating around the beans in her burrito, not talking to me for the rest of dinner. When my husband came home from work, she immediately told him her sob story about what an awful unsympathetic mother I am. He got upset at me and said that while he understood what I was trying to do, it was "heartless" (literally his exact word) to just sit there and watch her when it would have taken me two seconds to correct the situation. I told him it wasn't about the time, it was about me wanting to do things for herself.

I will NOT raise a meek daughter who cannot speak up for herself. I feel that we've already been too lax with her and the situation is out of hand. However, I am curious what the "general public" think.

AITA for going to a family wedding my brother wasn't invited?

quote:

I am 4 years older than my brother Mark. I never got myself into trouble and was always a great student. I graduated and found myself a great job, a loving wife and all I've dreamed of.

Mark is doing good, all things considered, but he sure went the long way. When he got to high school he would constantly hang with the wrong crowds and got himself in trouble very often. He barely graduated and after that his life went off the deep end. He flunked college, only got himself dead-end jobs and only got by with mine and my mother's help. He also got himself into drugs though I don't know how bad. Still, all things considered, he was always a very good person. Honest and he never made excuses for himself. He was just lazy and had no direction in life.

During this time he was our extended family's black sheep, specially from our mother's side. Our aunt Mary, specially. Mary is very cool but does act a bit pretentious. Her kids worshiped Mark and when the stories about his life started going around (half of them were lies) she started putting some distance, but would talk to Mark the same as me when we did met.

Eventually, Mark turned his life around. I don't know what happened, but I know it was really bad. Long story short, he got himself clean. One year after that he was unrecognizable. He was happy, extroverted and pretty much left his old life behind.

After 8 years, he was engaged, with a job and a future. Our family knows of this and they're happy for him. Unfortunately, Mary never abandoned her old views. She occasionally puts him down because he never went to college and doesn't respect his job. Every time I visit she likes to show me off as her lawyer nephew...but she never invites him or even mentions him. As far as her friends know, my mother only has one son. Mark knows this and it hurts him.

Two years ago, Mary's daughter got married and they planned this huge wedding. Both me, my wife and my mother got invited but not Mark. We didn't know how to handle this. We asked Mary's daughter why was Mark left out and she admitted her mother didn't want him there because it would make them look bad. We decided to go without telling him, so he wouldn't get hurt. He was never even aware Mary's daughter was getting married.

Of course, eventually he found out when he saw pictures in social media. He was absolutely crushed. He confronted us and said that if we were family we should've refused to go without him. I disagreed. We fought and he went NC. To this day my mother feels guilty about it.

This was 2 years ago. A couple of weeks ago my mother found out that Mark just had a kid and had introduced it to our other uncles. She was very hurt since she never even knew his partner was pregnant.

She asked him why he didn't tell us about his child. His answer "I love [son]. I will always be there for him, no matter what. I will not expose him to a family that will feel ashamed of him and turn him into a pariah because of some stupid choices".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DemoneeHo posted:

quote:

She asked him why he didn't tell us about his child. His answer "I love [son]. I will always be there for him, no matter what. I will not expose him to a family that will feel ashamed of him and turn him into a pariah because of some stupid choices".

I mean :shrug: that's about right

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

teen witch posted:

The realization that woof, this is going to happen a lot more

AITA for blaming my grandparents for me being deaf?

NTA. Play antivacc games, win antivacc prizes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

lol

quote:

He was doing too much weed, that is a fact, by his own admission. And probably MDMA casually.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
My husband is overly affectionate and I don’t know how to tell him to cut back without hurting his feelings

quote:

Edit: **I love cuddling and kissing and hugging on him as much as the next person but…..this is extremely excessive. It gets in the way of me focusing on anythingI need to do. I sometimes (like every day) have to hold my my bladder because he will grab me on the way to the bathroom and won’t let go. Not just me not wanting to be touched and loved on. I also explained at the beginning of our relationship that I like space and I am not used to being touched and loved like that but it has become extremely excessive to the point where I don’t want to be around him so I can just breathe.

As the title says, my husband is super affectionate. As in he wants to hug and kiss on me every 10 minutes. Any time I enter the room or try to leave the room he needs to hug me. When I walk by him he needs to hug me. I will be on the couch chillin and he will probably come over and hug me 2 or 3 times in the same hour.

We have been together for 5 years and every time I bring it up and tell him I need space he acts like I hate him and want to divorce him. I don’t know what to do and I’m losing my mind.

I love him to death but he is smothering me and pushing me away.

But it's his *~Love Language~*!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm the "very cool" Aunt who, like all "very cool" people, is extremely judgmental and pretentious. That's what the kids today mean when they call someone "very cool", right?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

FMguru posted:

I'm the "very cool" Aunt who, like all "very cool" people, is extremely judgmental and pretentious. That's what the kids today mean when they call someone "very cool", right?

Oh wild, on my first read I was parsing that as the opposite of being warm towards something, sort of a standoffish persona and it made a bunch of sense but I think your read is what’s actually being said.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Hey, you wanna come with me to the Cool Aunt's house? Oh, no, actually, you're a stoner, aren't you? She doesn't like stoners. Or queers, communists, hip-hop music, free love... Well, sucks you can't come, she's real cool."

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It's Clingy Partner day!

My27F, BF24 is breaking up with me over not being in constant contact with him.

quote:

We have been together 1.5 year. We have our good and bad moments.

The bad moments are usually started with fights from his side accusing me that I give him little time.

We usually meet 5 times week. Most of the time, we spend more than 4-6 hours together and sometimes with sleepover. Sometimes we spend less, like a 1 hour walk. He still finds that barely enough.

We also text each other every 3 or 4 hours. We text for about 30 minutes each time.

I sometimes am very tired, or exhausted from work, or not in the mood to fire up a conversation. I of course chat with him, but I am more to the point or very concise or not that “always happy mood” and I will also try not to drag a conversation. I also will not send him first without any specific reason (like we usually do). This happens around 1-2/month.

Every time this happens, he feels that I am “abandoning him”, that “I am getting cold” and” I distance myself from him”. Which of course are not my intentions and I have explained that to him extensively – which he insists that this is intolerable for him.

He told me that for him to feel in a relationship, if we don’t meetup every single day, at least we have to chat every 3 or 4 hours every day. He feels very, very bad and cant tolerate if we do not chat so frequently. He feels that the relationship is being destroyed and feels me “distant”. He feels that he cannot function and obsesses over why I act like that.

I, on the other hand, consider that you do not have to be having a constant contact with your SO and that doesnt deteriorate the relationship. Let alone firing up a chat every 3-4 hours. I don’t think it should be a problem if we chat 2-3 times per day or less. And to be honest, I feel suffocated, anxious that I have to contact him, and that nothing is left for me.

He told me, that if I cant “fix that” we cannot continue this relationship.

So this leaves me with feeling like an obligation to either be together every day or chat every few hours or else…

Also, I feel that “my time” is nowhere to be found in a relationship like that.

Any suggestions how to navigate that?

quote:

What's exhausting is that the way he puts it feels like an obligation or else he feels bad.

Yes, some days I can be grumpy, or I will be tired for an unrelated reason. So I won't be talkative to texts, or send only 2-3 times a day just to see all things are good.

This is extremely dysphoric to him, and he "cant live like that".

I explain to him, that we are still in a relationship - but he insists that in a relationship "you dont become distant whenever you want".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I always find it hilariously lovely when someone "takes the long way around" to getting their life on track and is called "lazy" for it. Like yeah, those wounds were self inflicted but successfully digging up and out rather than down takes a lot of work.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bonster posted:

It's Clingy Partner day!

why the gently caress is OP trying to "navigate" this, does this guy have the last functioning dick on earth or what

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

why the gently caress is OP trying to "navigate" this, does this guy have the last functioning dick on earth or what

Yeah, neither of them are happy, they want fundamentally different things, and they don't even bother framing the relationship as great "aside from this". Seems like a gimme.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Bonster posted:

It's Clingy Partner day!

...I think I talk less with my husband, and we live together!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Reddit is p.much in unison going "hey you should probably break up because at best he's being insensitive and at worst he's being controlling" while a bunch of former codependent people are going "yeah I was like this when I was younger and it took years of therapy to even start getting my head on straight."

OP is trying to answer questions without apparently internalizing any of what's being said to her.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DoubleNegative posted:

Reddit is p.much in unison going "hey you should probably break up because at best he's being insensitive and at worst he's being controlling" while a bunch of former codependent people are going "yeah I was like this when I was younger and it took years of therapy to even start getting my head on straight."

OP is trying to answer questions without apparently internalizing any of what's being said to her.

well she managed to type all that up and post it without the slightest hint of realization, so the odds of any of this sinking in aren't great

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you check Family Guy Mom's post history, she had to post her AITA thread twice, because the mods instantly removed it the first time for violating Rule 5: No Violence.

Tbf there will almost certainly be violence when he inevitably meets an equally hyperfixated kid in a chicken suit

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

"Hey, you wanna come with me to the Cool Aunt's house? Oh, no, actually, you're a stoner, aren't you? She doesn't like stoners. Or queers, communists, hip-hop music, free love... Well, sucks you can't come, she's real cool."

eh, who knows what the extended list was, could be anything.

But it seems a strong reaction to not getting invited to your cousins wedding even if some of your other direct family do. Him going LC on the Aunt/cousin I can understand but going LC on your own parent/siblings over going to an event they were invited to looks like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

I had two cousins living in London together sharing a flat, I don't know what the cause* was but they went NC on each other even as they shared the apartment for years afterwards (wrote formal emails to each other for apartment related business, no other conversation, avoided each other otherwise and didn't verbally speak unless it was an emergency). They still happily called home to Aus to their own and each others parents because they didn't apply their grudge for each other to other family members.

*I THINK it was cousin Veronica said a nasty comment to cousin Betty, Betty said I am not speaking to you gently caress you, Veronica said ok, I didn't ask for this but your decision, Betty said "Hi" a week latter, Veronica kept Betty to her word and they have since not spoken to each other in about eight years despite being inseparable since they were small kids.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Electric Wrigglies posted:

But it seems a strong reaction to not getting invited to your cousins wedding even if some of your other direct family do. Him going LC on the Aunt/cousin I can understand but going LC on your own parent/siblings over going to an event they were invited to looks like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

I dunno, op and his mom actively engaged in the exclusion of his brother and didn't even tell him about the wedding at all. If that doesn't send the message that your immediate family doesn't support you, then i don't know what will.

It would be different if op had told his brother about the wedding before it happened, and then discussed whether or not they should go. But we don't live in that hypothetical universe.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Ziv Zulander posted:

I used to know somebody named oceana except she pronounced it oh-sheen-uh

That’s my story thanks for listening

Oh
Oceana
Let me love you till the morning comes
Oh, Oceana, change your name into a normal one

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for saying "yup, just some more stupid purchases" when my fiance came home from the store with poo poo he didnt need?

quote:

We have separate finances and bank accounts so no he isnt spending my money but he 100% would if I let him. He is a damm good guy. The only problem is financial. Which is huge in my eyes. I want to save money and better our future. He on the other hand thinks I'm too concerned with money that we could "just earn back". Often says that money holds nothing to being able to experience certain things. Therefore, he is terrible with money because he doesnt see anything as a big deal. I have had several conversations with him regarding his spending habits and it falls on deaf ears. He just tells me to live a little and to "treat" myself with material items that I have no use for.

He has a habit of going shopping just because, buying random things and then never even taking them out of the package- losing said item and then going back to the store for the same item months later because he cant find the original thing he bought. He also has a habit of buying things that he thinks would be useful, which turn out to never be useful. He never takes my advice either. Like fans.. he wanted a garage fan which I understood completely. We go and I tell him which one he should get and he ignores it and gets a much smaller one. The next day he went and bought the one I told him to get in the first place and never returned the other one. So over $300 for 2 fans. Or he went and bought more ram for his computer and got the most expensive one he could for no reason cause he hardly uses it. Realized he bought the wrong one so he bought another one and never returned the original because he "might need it later".

Well, yesterday he came home with like 4 bags of stuff from the store. Like 8 things of Air in a can, butanol torch, a spice rack that we dont need, camping chairs, a new mop, several dog coats for his dog, a new knife set, etc. You get my point. I just walk past him because I'm admittedly getting pissed and rethinking everything over this spending and he asks me to come look at what he got and I said no. When he asked why I said "because it's just some more stupid purchases". He says I'm an AH for ruining his excitement.

ETA: You guys are right. It is not my money he is spending. But it is going to be my money supporting him later on in life because he has no desire to protect his future or our future.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for saying "yup, just some more stupid purchases" when my fiance came home from the store with poo poo he didnt need?

hm buying poo poo he doesn't need then refusing to get rid of anything 'cuz he "might need it later". congratulations on getting in on the ground floor of your soon-to-be-husband's hoarding habit. good thing you put a ring on that, wouldn't want him getting away

e: oh hey and i'm right, it's hoarding:

quote:

Its slowly becoming hoarding. Our 2 car garage cant even fit a single vehicle in it because of how much poo poo he has bought and never touched but "may be useful" later in life. He bought a snowblower last year and we live in a state with no snow.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

yeah, no need to be angry at his spending habits. Just leave him and his incompatible beliefs behind.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

datajugend posted:

Mom took her share

That’s my take too. If it was grandma being a bitch in the will, Mom could’ve just said that instead of acting sketchy. The OP probably made out better than anyone and Mom’s covering it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sammus posted:

That’s my take too. If it was grandma being a bitch in the will, Mom could’ve just said that instead of acting sketchy. The OP probably made out better than anyone and Mom’s covering it up.

I don't think you guys understand what happened: The lawyer thing is talking about MOM'S will. The grandma will incident is why she decided to draw up her own will, so there wasn't a fight over her own assets.