Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ah, I missed that the Steelbook set was still on Amazon. I was comparing the Steelbooks to the regular 4 pack. So the $23 just for Raiders against $61 for all 4.

I ended up just getting Raiders because it's just so much better than the other 3 and the only one I will ever really pick given an equal choice of what to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Police Story 3(Supercop) UHD coming in December. Love it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That's right, Jamelle Bouie of the New York Times.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1562808091812323328?t=p9S--96gjraROM-giMAcVg&s=19

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Wayne’s World UHD in November. Never have I been so pleased with my resolve to cease buying standard blus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't mind seeing some more 90s comedies get UHD releases. Stuff like the early Sandler movies and the Farley movies like Tommy Boy and Beverly Hills Ninja.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

Wayne’s World UHD in November. Never have I been so pleased with my resolve to cease buying standard blus.

They almost got me when the steelbook was $11 on Amazon.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol just bought the two movie collection like two months ago

oh well glad to see more older comedies get 4k editions

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing some more 90s comedies get UHD releases. Stuff like the early Sandler movies and the Farley movies like Tommy Boy and Beverly Hills Ninja.

:hai:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Orange Carlisle posted:

lol just bought the two movie collection like two months ago

oh well glad to see more older comedies get 4k editions

thank you for your sacrifice

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

seconding this and tossing in Dirty Work as well.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

dorium posted:

seconding this and tossing in Dirty Work as well.

The lack of respect for comedy classics of that era hurts the second most.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Cabin Boy 4k

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

tonedef131 posted:

The lack of respect for comedy classics of that era hurts the second most.

what? Base mentioned Beverly Hills Ninja.

or are you expecting more like both Brady Bunch Movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You have been exposed as someone who has not rewatched Dirty Work recently

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Give me both Brady Bunch movies in UHD. They are still hilarious. I want every 90s trash comedy in UHD

Carpool 4K when

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TheMopeSquad posted:

Cabin Boy 4k

The Physical Media Thread: Cabin Boy 4K

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Brady Bunch movies are not trash they're amazing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
lol
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1562861249398210561

but also, DAY ONE on this.
everyone should watch american movie once, never thought it would escape DVD

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1562456487263617031

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:catstare:

I loving hate Elf

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I’ve never seen Elf. I have no kids so that’s probably why, but it’s absolutely a beloved title based on the opinions of practically every person I’ve ever worked with in my entire adult life.

I’m not super eager to buy a bunch of 4k comedies, especially if they’re movies that I already own. A blu ray of Step Brothers is perfectly fine imo. Of course I support any and all 4K releases and hope my comedy bros love them, and I’d likely think about upgrading those comedies that I really love the looks of (for instance, The Apartment 4K looks great.)

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2022

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I can't wait for the Arrow 4K Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Alan Rickman gonna devour my TV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PinkoBastard posted:

I’ve never seen Elf. I have no kids so that’s probably why, but it’s absolutely a beloved title based on the opinions of practically every person I’ve ever worked with in my entire adult life.

I think the ability to enjoy Elf is tied to your ability to enjoy Will Ferrell, at his most obnoxious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Elf is a fun movie, but I'm not the kind of person who would buy a 4K disc that you really only can watch at a certain point in the year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edward Mass posted:

Elf is a fun movie, but I'm not the kind of person who would buy a 4K disc that you really only can watch at a certain point in the year.

I'm going to be buying the Planes Trains and Automobile 4K :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PinkoBastard posted:

I’m not super eager to buy a bunch of 4k comedies, especially if they’re movies that I already own. A boy ray of Step Brothers is perfectly fine imo. Of course I support any and all 4K releases and hope my comedy bros love them, and I’d likely think about upgrading those comedies that I really love the looks of (for instance, The Apartment 4K looks great.)

Part of it is that comedies are very underrepresented in my collection, for whatever reason I just wasn't focused on them when I started collecting blu rays about 10 years ago. I did have Happy Gilmore on VHS back in the day.

The other factor is that watching a UHD of pretty much anything that was shot on film is like an oasis in the desert these days. So 90's comedies are a mostly untapped source of that for the UHD format.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

but also, DAY ONE on this.
everyone should watch american movie once, never thought it would escape DVD

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1562456487263617031

Kick-fuckin'-rear end

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Edward Mass posted:

I would 100% buy Fanny and Alexander on 4k and I only watch that at Christmas!!!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Part of it is that comedies are very underrepresented in my collection, for whatever reason I just wasn't focused on them when I started collecting blu rays about 10 years ago. I did have Happy Gilmore on VHS back in the day.

Oh yeah that totally makes sense, if you’re going to buy a comedy that you really like (and/or that you find aesthetically compelling for one reason or another) you might as well spring for the 4K.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

Seasonal stuff is my bread and butter, I love building up those sections of my collection and then looking forward to watching them each year. Obviously I have lots of stuff that I only watch in October, but then there's also Bond movies and Thanksgiving movies in November, Christmas movies in December and summer blockbusters in July/August. There's even some other, smaller pockets of movies for holidays like New Years and Passover/Easter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm going to throw out what's probably going to be an unpopular opinion here. I don't think a lot of 90s comedies would need to be on UHD. The cinematography and overall aesthetics of those films don't really demand to be seen on a premium format. Blu-ray is just fine.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Edward Mass posted:

have you ever seen the average Elf fan? these people would watch that movie on a 4K disc three times a week, every single week of the year lol

I want motherfucking Dunston Checks In on 4K. make it happen, Jason Alexander

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'd really like The Sandlot on UHD. I know that just got a fancy schmancy blu-ray that I did absolutely buy, but I'd double dip.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

IThe cinematography and overall aesthetics of those films don't really demand to be seen on a premium format.
Nostalgia is a death trap but I pine for low-rent '80s comedies shot on film, that poo poo looks pretty in 4K.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to throw out what's probably going to be an unpopular opinion here. I don't think a lot of 90s comedies would need to be on UHD. The cinematography and overall aesthetics of those films don't really demand to be seen on a premium format. Blu-ray is just fine.

One of the first UHDs I ever saw in the store was “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” and you cannot convince me that movie needs or deserves the treatment.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He sees you

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1562936214667378688?s=20&t=cviSkcbm0TI6s-_FCOfDOA

When you’re sleeping

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

90s comedies are too good, there's a magic to even the lower tier ones. Enjoyed rewatching Captain Ron recently, classic Kurt. Chris Farley is top tier for sure.

Adventures of Ford Fairlane, oh!! Hudson Hawk too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Heavy Metal posted:

Adventures of Ford Fairlane, oh!! Hudson Hawk too.

What sort of masocist are you?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CPL593H posted:

What sort of masocist are you?

Oh!! Truth be told, I love this film, and I love Dice in general. My friends quote this one often. "Clint Eastwood? I hosed 'em! Ohhh!"

I acknowledge this is my Howard the Duck or something like that. Well, I also do like Howard the Duck, mainly the first half or so when he's rompin' around town.

edit: Hudson Hawk, well, I believe it speaks for itself. What can I say, Bruce in his prime, kooky stuff.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 26, 2022

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

dorium posted:

what? Base mentioned Beverly Hills Ninja.

or are you expecting more like both Brady Bunch Movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sczun-f_Uiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Odd they’re doing that one before Rudolph which seems to be much more universally known. Rankin Bass made a lot of holiday specials that just didn’t take off and nobody knows about these days. Look at this:

https://youtu.be/LlcQ3hO-EPY

Edit:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1562937148990337024?s=20&t=lc2YBzlYLRoi-8_CIt4GeA

Oh

Hudson Hawk is absolutely worth watching these days. I will say it was a whole lot dumber than I remembered it being. I was going to show it to my mom when I was home for Christmas but ended up just watching it myself. I have a feeling it would have ended up being one of the movies she ends up hating and I’d never hear the end of it. I’m upgrading to the nicer Blu-ray when it comes out.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 26, 2022