Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

twistedmentat posted:

This reminds me how cool Sark's Command Carrier is

I love that the command deck is this tower that sticks out of the side rather than on the top. Its probably horribly impractical for a bridge due to limited visibility.

In a 3d operating space a tower on the top is similarly restricted, it's just that we're used to designs with no ventral field of view because surface ocean-going warships don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

tbh windows on a spaceship are for decoration- it'd be all sensors and cameras.

Sensors and cameras can always fail or go buggy or get blocked, so it's important to have simple fallbacks.

If the ship is a carrier, that also means that you need to do air traffic control as well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sensors and cameras can always fail or go buggy or get blocked, so it's important to have simple fallbacks.

Space battles would be fought at inhuman distances and speeds, looking out the window isn't going to help.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Space battles would be fought at inhuman distances and speeds, looking out the window isn't going to help.

*peeks out window* Uhhh captain, flechettes approaching at 0.95c

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Brawnfire posted:

*peeks out window* Uhhh captain, flechettes approaching at 0.95c

Liutenant, you worry to much about the little things in life, you need to like vibe way waaaaay more? Besides, they'll get stuck on the deus ex machina shields anyway. You're totally anti-science dude

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bridge has to be on the side so you can roll the window down at the drive thru

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Now you're just arguing about what made-up science you want to apply.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now you're just arguing about what made-up science you want to apply.

Not really. All your guns are going to be computer targeted anyway, what are you going to to, aim them by eye by squinting out the window? If your sensors are blind you're pretty hosed, windows or not.

EDIT: Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Until we figure out how we'll actually fight in space most answers will either be hypothetical or fall under the broad canopy of "very clumsily"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sark’s command carrier looks almost exactly like a prototype of the ship from Aliens because of course Syd Mead did both and he’s the fukken best.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Uhh, clearly you're all referring to The Hastings?

Man, what a weird game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm pretty sure space ships will have giant robot arms to do fist fights with each other.

Anyone got any spaceships with fistfight arms?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

rrrrrrr! Nnnngh!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deformed Church posted:

I'm pretty sure space ships will have giant robot arms to do fist fights with each other.

Besides Outlaw Star's Grappler Ships you've also got the SDF Macross (shut up it counts as a space ship) throwing punches.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Deformed Church posted:

Exactly what it says on the tin: "SDF-1 fists a Zentradi battleship"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqT_NsPomk

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Deformed Church posted:

What about spaceships that are fistfight arms?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Three novelty dildos orbiting one another.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

What about spaceships that are fistfight arms?

which of course lead to a scene where the nightmarish kaiju monster incubating at the core of the planet manifested a hand that punched up through the crust and attempted to take down the hand-spaceship

Bonus scene: a giant voltron except the two arms are fighting the body in fisticuffs

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 26, 2022

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MikeJF posted:

Bonus scene: a giant voltron except the two arms are fighting the body in fisticuffs

A Giant Woman!
(Cue shiny eyes of wonder)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SageNytell posted:

Uhh, clearly you're all referring to The Hastings?

Man, what a weird game.

Holy poo poo, someone else who played that game!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Thank you all for the very cool punching spaceships.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

A Giant Woman!
(Cue shiny eyes of wonder)

Giant women piloting even gianter women! Giantwomenception!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

Giant women piloting even gianter women! Giantwomenception!

Somewhere, a sci-fi writer and/or artist is masturbating over this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A normal-sized woman who serves as a sort of homonculus within a giant woman who pilots a gianter woman mecha as part of a team of other giant women who are also all lovers BUT their respective homonculi hate each other

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think all discussions of spaceships with arms should include Bob Layzell's mining ship:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Madurai posted:

I think all discussions of spaceships with arms should include Bob Layzell's mining ship:

If only there was sound in space so we could hear the nomnomnoms

E: on second thoughts im not sure it's eating that

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Exactly what it says on the tin: "SDF-1 fists a Zentradi battleship"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqT_NsPomk

Goddamn those sounds are all wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfd5lcdNza8&t=1257s

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

sebmojo posted:

What *is* happening? Are there two ships or one in that picture? It looks almost like a ship that has a four-legged body and a little neck with a green head that pivots around.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

What *is* happening? Are there two ships or one in that picture? It looks almost like a ship that has a four-legged body and a little neck with a green head that pivots around.

I have zero background knowledge to support this, but I'm pretty sure that spaceship is bending that asteroid over and gently caress-mining it from behind. In other words...

sebmojo posted:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

A normal-sized woman who serves as a sort of homonculus within a giant woman who pilots a gianter woman mecha as part of a team of other giant women who are also all lovers BUT their respective homonculi hate each other

Are you talking about Fight! Iczer 1?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

My uncle owned a book (mentioned upthread) that had all these spaceship images with some text added to create a kind of spotter's guide to spacecraft. It was peak 70's and included an absurdly optimistic timeline with entries like "1981, first base built on Mars" and "1995, faster than light drive perfected."
Anyway, since there was nothing to do at my relatives' place besides read that spaceship book cover to cover, I can confirm that yes, this is an asteroid-mining ship designed to grip into stuff with those "legs" while the green-coloured highly mobile fusion furnace blaster whatever melts the rocks down.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. The UEDF ship also makes use of its disconnected floaty bits to rotate parts around when you use the console.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Picard S3 looks to be bringing in the Elachi from Star Trek Online, using one of my favorite looking ships in the Elachi roster:

To compare, the Qulash class as seen in the game:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

My uncle owned a book (mentioned upthread) that had all these spaceship images with some text added to create a kind of spotter's guide to spacecraft. It was peak 70's and included an absurdly optimistic timeline with entries like "1981, first base built on Mars" and "1995, faster than light drive perfected."
Anyway, since there was nothing to do at my relatives' place besides read that spaceship book cover to cover, I can confirm that yes, this is an asteroid-mining ship designed to grip into stuff with those "legs" while the green-coloured highly mobile fusion furnace blaster whatever melts the rocks down.

Yeah I have that it fuckin owns

It is loving that asteroid to death

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Humanity went from the first jets and rockets in the mid-40s to landing on the moon in 1969.

It seemed like Kubrick’s vision of what 2001 would seem like was easily attainable… but then Nixon and Republicans got involved.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Brakiri ships from Babylon 5.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Brakiri ships from Babylon 5.

Minbari but Soviet. :ussr:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Minbari but Soviet. :ussr:

Minbari but capitalist :eng101:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Minbari but Thunderird 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Minbari but Thunderird 2

:hmmyes: