Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thank you so much for that response…it really walked me through the reasoning and I appreciate that!

I’m enough of a nerd to want to squeeze a few more mb from my connection, but also dumb enough to know when to let it go and simply be happy with what I’ve got. It may shock some here, but 15d/5u and true, actual unlimited data are orders of magnitude better here than we’ve had available since 2007. I may take a few hours to download “Death Stranding” on Steam, but 99% of the time I can play Eve Online and watch a 1080p YouTube video at the same time so I’ll just deal with it and be happy. That answer was definitely what I needed to hear and it saves me from starting a 3 daisy-chained-adapter electrical fire to boot :science:! Thanks again for the :effort:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

KS posted:

There is no reason an AC system shouldn't handle those use cases, and it'd really be better to upgrade all the way to 6e to take advantage of the 6 ghz band. I'd focus on what might be wrong with your current system.

This , if you’re not already AX wait for consumer 6E gear and leapfrog ahead then. 6GHz may not matter at home depending on how much free spectrum you have now, but the router should support AX and you may have updated some of your devices by then.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not sure if this is the right thread - I'm trying to get port forwarding set up, I have an xfinity router, but when I go to advanced settings it says port forwarding and other options are only on the xfinity app. but I cant use that app because my phone is old as hell. is there some sort of workaround or do i have to contact them directly?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 20, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

actionjackson posted:

not sure if this is the right thread - I'm trying to get port forwarding set up, I have an xfinity router, but when I go to advanced settings it says port forwarding and other options are only on the xfinity app. but I cant use that app because my phone is old as hell. is there some sort of workaround or do i have to contact them directly?

If it's one of their lovely xfinity gateways you might need to use the app, but you might try their webpage admin tool just to see if it works as an alternative no matter what you have:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway

They of course want you to put their app on your phone so that they can sell more data about you and try to compete with your cell service provider since they do cell phone service now, too.

When I've had to deal with the xfinity gateways I've ended up putting them in bypass mode/bridge mode which attempts to turn it into a dumb modem with no routing and then use my own router (well it's not for me but for a business I do some work for). You should consider buying a modem and router since they're going to charge you a monthly rental fee for their hardware and it's not good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rexxed posted:

If it's one of their lovely xfinity gateways you might need to use the app, but you might try their webpage admin tool just to see if it works as an alternative no matter what you have:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway

They of course want you to put their app on your phone so that they can sell more data about you and try to compete with your cell service provider since they do cell phone service now, too.

When I've had to deal with the xfinity gateways I've ended up putting them in bypass mode/bridge mode which attempts to turn it into a dumb modem with no routing and then use my own router (well it's not for me but for a business I do some work for). You should consider buying a modem and router since they're going to charge you a monthly rental fee for their hardware and it's not good.

I'm in an HOA so we have some deal with them, we don't pay any sort of fee for the devices afaik, it's like 50/month for cable and internet together

I had used their webpage admin tool, but I got this. So apparently I have an "xfi" gateway not an "xfinity" gateway, hence I have to use the app

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 20, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

actionjackson posted:

I'm in an HOA so we have some deal with them, we don't pay any sort of fee for the devices afaik, it's like 50/month for cable and internet together

I had used their webpage admin tool, but I got this. So apparently I have an "xfi" gateway not an "xfinity" gateway, hence I have to use the app

That's annoying. Sometimes for earning service phones I'd just get cracked screen phones on ebay for $30 or less. The idea would be to just use it on wifi to run the one app. Otherwise you could get your own router and put the device in bridge mode.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I currently have RCN (recently rebranded to Astound) cable and the quality is declining while the price is increasing. I get service at my address for RCN, Comcast, and FiOS. FiOS seems like the better option, but I had a question on the setup. Currently the RCN cable is coming into the basement where it's linked in to a coax that goes to a junction box in a closet that then splits it to three different outlets.

For FiOS would a new cable need to be run to where I want the modem at, or can the modem connect to the coax which could then connect to the router?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I currently have RCN (recently rebranded to Astound) cable and the quality is declining while the price is increasing. I get service at my address for RCN, Comcast, and FiOS. FiOS seems like the better option, but I had a question on the setup. Currently the RCN cable is coming into the basement where it's linked in to a coax that goes to a junction box in a closet that then splits it to three different outlets.

For FiOS would a new cable need to be run to where I want the modem at, or can the modem connect to the coax which could then connect to the router?

For Fios they run an optical cable to the house and terminate it in a box (Optical Network Terminal) that has the optical transciever and breaks out the functions into ethernet, coax, and phone. It's also got your 12v battery for power outage backup of phone service. You can use coax from there to where the modem/router is if you want to do it that way, although technically the ONT can act as the modem and you can use your own router from the ethernet port if you want to (you have to contact them to enable that). I've just kept using the fios router and turned off WiFi to use my own access points, but whatever you prefer.

In your case they'll be installing the ONT wherever the optical cable goes to. Either on the outside of your house or just inside through an exterior wall, most likely in your basement near where the coax cable is coming in. Then, typically if you already have coax since it's an existing install, they'll just hook that up to the ONT and you can put the router wherever. You won't be using the same modem you have now but a FiOS specific one and they're combo units.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There is not really the concept of modem there, but there is a router and a “box” (ONT). They’ll put it where you want it, though the fiber is a contiguous piece and not something that is easily cut, spliced, etc. Mine is on the far side of the basement from where the line enters, near the rest of the coax/Ethernet. Might be a charge for a more complicated install but honestly the ONT is a utility item and doesn’t need to be at point of use.

The field tech that came out to “activate” mine removed the battery box, said they no longer deploy them. AFAIK it was only really for the phone.

Some installations may support using coax to get to where you want your router, though it may be speed limited. Ask about having the field tech run an Ethernet drop for you if you don’t have one, or DIY if you’re up to it.

Verizon here (Western NY) offers 300/300 for $39.99 - that’s like a no brainer to grab when available.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is probably a weird question to ask, but I have a few network devices that are small, low-voltage devices powered by wall wart, that could genuinely use a battery backup, but don't need anything nearly as involved as a UPS.

Does anyone have a lead on anything like an inline battery box that accepts the wall wart's power and plugs into the device to keep a power bank ready to kick in when it loses power?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 21, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is probably a weird question to ask, but I have a few network devices that could genuinely benefit from small, low-voltage devices powered by wall wart, that could genuinely use a battery backup, but don't need anything nearly as involved as a UPS.

Does anyone have a lead on anything like an inline battery box that accepts the wall wart's power and plugs into the device to keep a power bank ready to kick in when it loses power?

It probably doesn't have seamless transition but Anker makes the Power core Fusion which can act as a wall wart and a battery. I'm not aware of anything else like it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could build one, but the only type I’m aware of with off the shelf products is designed for 13.8V. Great for anything that can run out of a car/RV, or even USB devices, but not exactly as easy as a small UPS from office depot.

Don’t let this thread scare you into thinking everything has to be prosumer or low end enterprise to be good , you can get a shoebox UPS that will take one 7Ah battery relatively cheap . It won’t filter power though , but it can keep you going for a bit anyway. A power bank plugged into one will just siphon the power out of it , would take a moment to roughly compute how long you need to back it up , or how many refills, and go from there .

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rexxed posted:

For Fios they run an optical cable to the house and terminate it in a box (Optical Network Terminal) that has the optical transciever and breaks out the functions into ethernet, coax, and phone. It's also got your 12v battery for power outage backup of phone service. You can use coax from there to where the modem/router is if you want to do it that way, although technically the ONT can act as the modem and you can use your own router from the ethernet port if you want to (you have to contact them to enable that). I've just kept using the fios router and turned off WiFi to use my own access points, but whatever you prefer.

In your case they'll be installing the ONT wherever the optical cable goes to. Either on the outside of your house or just inside through an exterior wall, most likely in your basement near where the coax cable is coming in. Then, typically if you already have coax since it's an existing install, they'll just hook that up to the ONT and you can put the router wherever. You won't be using the same modem you have now but a FiOS specific one and they're combo units.

Thanks. I live in a 2 family building with a shared basement, so I'm just trying to figure out how the service would be wired. The other unit has FiOS already, so FiOS is saying the building is already wired and I just have to plug it in, but as far as I can tell this is not accurate in that my unit is not wired for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Parents' house ate a lightning strike last week and a bunch of network gear got ghosted. :rip: modem, router and 2 switches. Everything's been replaced but they're currently limping along on an old Cisco router that I don't even remember where I got, and I don't remember what credentials I set for the management login so it would take a factory reset to get back into the admin portal and I don't want to do that while it's the only router they have.

So I'm asking for recommendations for a router with an emphasis on wifi performance/coverage. The modem/router are centrally located in an upstairs loft so physical coverage has always been OK, I think they're most interested in being able to stick some Ring cameras around the exterior for an ad hoc security system. A few pages back someone was asking something similar and got recommended this Asus, is that still a solid bet for what I'm describing?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Might also wanna get an Ethernet surge protector, one with a built in gas discharge tube.

They range in price from $27 and up but it's a whole lot cheaper to replace the protector than your whole rig..

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Desktop PC WiFi modules and handheld two way radios are the only things I can think of that still have external antenna.

In the end, I'm glad this was an easy fix for NLJP because so much of the time network poo poo can be a bitch.

Anything that’s got alota metal tends to have an external antenna, it’s just hidden. We’re at a point where antenna tech on premium devices (non-plastic) is designed to be hidden.

On iPhones, those little notches on the corners are antennas. On some of the 5g devices, it’s also that sim card shaped thing.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For FIOS, it depends entirely on what you’re getting speed wise. For the lower tier (300m), you can run the router off coax.

For 1gig (and maybe some plans below 1gig) they run Ethernet direct from the ONT to your router, provided by Verizon. The ONT is basically the modem.

If you have FIOS tv, you need to use the FIOS router as the dvr/tv guide stuff comes off the router. If you have internet only, you can technically do your own router, but it can get complicated.

As far as your home setup, some multi-family homes have a main ONT on the side of the house and a smaller ONT inside the unit. Some will just run multiple lines off the outside ONT.

The tech from Verizon should run the cabling from the ONT to where you need it unless it’s an insane distance, but expect the dude to grumble about it if it’s far and for it not to be pretty.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Thanks. I live in a 2 family building with a shared basement, so I'm just trying to figure out how the service would be wired. The other unit has FiOS already, so FiOS is saying the building is already wired and I just have to plug it in, but as far as I can tell this is not accurate in that my unit is not wired for it.

I am in a similar situation , basements are separated but separate FiOS service . Two fibers . They have MDU type installs but in your case they should have two services established unless it’s like an in law apartment sort of thing. You can call or chat, say it’s unit B or whatever - they may have to make an adjustment in their system to show its multiple units at that address.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Might also wanna get an Ethernet surge protector, one with a built in gas discharge tube.

They range in price from $27 and up but it's a whole lot cheaper to replace the protector than your whole rig..

In this case we're pretty sure the problem came in through the coax cable, after a new modem still couldn't connect they started poking around outside and found this on the cable splitter:

That's the ground wire blown completely off the splitter :stare: But an ethernet surge protector might help keep the damage contained to just the modem so I'll shop around for one of those as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, they have coaxial protectors too: https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Satellite-Lightning-Protector-5-2500MHz/dp/B07525CLKR/r

I only have the Ethernet one installed because the cable modem isn't my property, if it gets fried it's on them.

They (cable company) claimed that after my setup got fried a few years ago that they installed lightning arrestors (?!) for my lines and that I shouldn't worry.

I do notice these big drum-like things that appear to be a new addition to my over-land cable lines that look like black, ribbed ferrite coils but I remain skeptical as they don't look like the verticaly stacked arresters I know from power lines.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m very thankful that all of our electrical/coax is buried so unless a strike on the pedestals in my front yard occurs, we’re safe. In the 11 years of living in this neighborhood we’ve had only a handful of adverse power events, usually because of a substation transformer blowing or whatever.

I did consider Ethernet protectors for my outside cameras but running ground wires wouldn’t really have been worth it. OTA antenna is in the attic so no risk there either.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm moving soon and looking at revamping my networking as I will have a much larger area to cover, and my router (currently a UDM) will not necessarily be centrally located. I am considering 3 simple requirements:

1) 2 APs with roaming (dedicated wireless backhaul a plus)
2) Separate SSID/VLAN for IOT devices
3) multicast repeater/reflector so you can actually use your IOT devices without setting static IPs for every drat thing
4) Ability to set basic firewall rules (guess I should add this one because who knows with SOHO routers)

I am renting so running ethernet is not possible. I'm also not trying to run a homelab or play sysadmin at home other than keeping my IOT poo poo away from my NAS. Seems like my options here are:

1) Eero Pro (SXK50 pair). Breakeven cost after selling the UDM.
2) Use a Unifi AP wirelessly. $100-$150 and no dedicated backhaul.
3) Use a Unifi AP with backhaul over powerline. $200+ with unclear benefits until I see how nicely the house wiring plays.
4) Use a Unifi AP with backhaul over MoCA. $200+ and benefits unclear as the cable outlets are clustered in one half of the house.

I guess my question is - is the Eero Pro the no-brainer it seems like on paper?

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 23, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I suspect my final generation Airport Extreme is kicking the bucket (I'm getting random disconnects and high pings), so I've been casually looking for a replacement. I was made aware of what looks to be a solid deal on the Netgear Nighthawk MK62. The mesh system is probably overkill (I've been rocking the single AP just fine for 2.5 years in this house without significant issue,) but that price seems good.

It's been a long rear end time since I've shopped for a wireless AP, and I feel like the lack of consensus in here means there's no longer, like, an obvious best choice or anything that's catastrophic. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it, but otherwise I'll probably pull the trigger here.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've just been telling people to get something with wifi 6 lately, it helps with VR and modern devices and hopefully it's not bottom tier if it includes it.

Speaking of brownouts and such toasting network equipment, I have a UPS surge protector and battery on my gear now, but I got sick of my stuff going bad every 2-4 years and just bought it from Costco

If it goes bad too soon I'll take it back.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The little SLA batteries are good for 3-5 years depending on how often they are loaded . The UPS should periodically test but the little box jobs don’t do much other than see if it’s there - they don’t do any real load testing or cal . I just budget the $30ish to swap the 7Ah out of the one I use for a lamp and maybe a USB charger.

If your power is unstable enough to be having brownouts or frequency dips or whatever, an online UPS is a decent investment to protect your stuff, but it is an investment.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

RoboBoogie posted:

i cant seem to find a low voltage electrician that would even respond to my inquiry.

I'm in this boat, trying to get someone to replace some wires in my house. Everyone I contact only does commercial jobs.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Glimm posted:

I'm in this boat, trying to get someone to replace some wires in my house. Everyone I contact only does commercial jobs.

I've had luck in the past of home audio peeps getting back to me with quotes much more regularly than other peeps, granted the costs were pretty silly, so I just bought some pull rods and premade cable and ran my own.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I haven't tried reaching out to home audio folks-I'll try that! Thanks

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Glimm posted:

I haven't tried reaching out to home audio folks-I'll try that! Thanks

I literally did that for cat6 all over the place + cameras and such. it was far more reasonable than anything else i could find. i'd def try at least

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been having issues with my internet slowing down or cutting out for awhile, packetloss in games, dropped Teams calls for both my partner and I. This is what my modem says. I'm assuming such a high level of Uncorrectables is on the ISP? We've had this ISP for 7 years, and this is the first time we've had issues like this (started a week or so ago), and the ISP CSR folks have said everything is fine on their end. We have an install for FiOS on Monday, so we have one and a half work days to make it through.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It looks like you have DVB-C over DOCSIS, so if Reed-Solomon codes can't cope with the error rate, it's typically because the copper is old, if all other equipment has been replaced.

Scratch that, not with those frequencies, and not if you're in Usania.
Still, if the error correction that's used is Reed-Solomon (used in everything from RAID, CDs, DVDs, BluRay, DVB-C/S, ATSC, WiMAX, QR codes and many other things) or newer, and it can't cope, there's something wrong with the medium it's being sent on.

EDIT: It is using Reed-Solomon, so tell them to replace their lovely copper and stop claiming "everything is good on their end".

EDIT2: Oh, also I forgot how far DVB-C goes nowadays:

699MHz is still outside the range you'd find in any European network though, so I wasn't completely off-base.

EDIT3: The fact that the EMI is spread over such a big part of the spectrum suggests that you should maybe also contact your local signal authorities, because there shouldn't be that much noise, and those parts of the spectrum are probably not allowed to be used at power levels enough to affect shielded copper.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been having issues with my internet slowing down or cutting out for awhile, packetloss in games, dropped Teams calls for both my partner and I. This is what my modem says. I'm assuming such a high level of Uncorrectables is on the ISP? We've had this ISP for 7 years, and this is the first time we've had issues like this (started a week or so ago), and the ISP CSR folks have said everything is fine on their end. We have an install for FiOS on Monday, so we have one and a half work days to make it through.

The downstream power levels are very low, on the edge of being out of spec and that's probably affecting SNR as well. Try eliminating any splitters in the path between the modem and the drop entering your home, if there are any, and see if that makes a difference. Or not and enjoy FIOS. I wish I had a fiber provider to switch to.

It's difficult to impossible to convince cable companies that there's a problem, particularly when using your own modem. I had 5 different techs come out and they collectively replaced every inch of cable, every connector, and every passive (ground block, splitters) between the pole tap and my modem and it made no difference in the high rate of uncorrectable errors on every downstream channel as observed on my modem status page. The techs' own meters showed a green check mark so they were not allowed to escalate to the network side. Bureaucracy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Service provider support personnel will claim that the problem is not on their end, because they're hired to read from a script that tells them to say that if all other troubleshooting steps have failed.
They've got your money, and for the vast majority of people they're the only option, so they don't need to worry about providing good service.

If you think this is a problem, talk to your local politicians.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What could cause something like this to pop up after 3 years of stable service?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What could cause something like this to pop up after 3 years of stable service?

A connector could work loose from thermal cycling, damage somewhere in the network, amps out of calibration, or they could have added a subscriber whose wiring is introducing noise to the network. Cable networks are not static and unchanging, and even weather changes require adjustment to keep the RF in spec.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

We had power outages here a couple of years back because migrating storks had chosen a particular place to nest. For like five days, exactly at sundown they'd collectively land on some wire or something and the weight would interrupt some connection, making the power go out for half a second.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

Try eliminating any splitters in the path between the modem and the drop entering your home, if there are any, and see if that makes a difference.

Had one splitter that split it to three different rooms, but it was only being used in the room with the modem. Removed the splitter to a continuous connection coming in to the modem, power levels are now between -4.2 to -6.8 so it helped a bit. Should hopefully help long enough to keep out internet connections stable enough until the FiOS install on Monday.

On the FiOS front, are you required to use a FiOS router, or can I set up my own??

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Had one splitter that split it to three different rooms, but it was only being used in the room with the modem. Removed the splitter to a continuous connection coming in to the modem, power levels are now between -4.2 to -6.8 so it helped a bit. Should hopefully help long enough to keep out internet connections stable enough until the FiOS install on Monday.

On the FiOS front, are you required to use a FiOS router, or can I set up my own??

That depends on the level of service and your connection. If you have FIOS TV, you need their router for TV guide to function.

All their routers have significantly more control Than most ISP provided routers, and it’s really easy to bridge mode them if you want.

If you have fiber based FIOS and your ONT is Ethernet connected, you can roll your own router without theirs, but they won’t provide you any support and blame everything on your router.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If an ISP does GPON, you can get SFP(+) adapters that have GPON stripping built-in from FiberShop.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is only tangentially on-topic, but the last couple days I've been housesitting and playing around with GeForce Now and been pretty impressed, but holy hell does it use a lot of data. No cap on the data here so not a problem, but I understand better why the Xfinity data caps can get onerous pretty quick.

It's been pretty cool being able to play Far Cry 6 on my definitely non-gaming laptop here and it looks and runs pretty good, and I'm able to keep playing the save I have on my actual gaming desktop at home.

So, tl;dr - I get complaints about data caps on home Internet service better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Scored a switch upgrade from work. Went a lot faster to configure this time even though I couldn’t find my notes from the previous 3750. Still need to get the fiber hooked up for the 2nd floor switch but it’s all working for now.