Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 17, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

These old comics seem to have a lot of people proposing marriage within days of meeting each other. "It's been almost a week and we've had at least four whole conversations - mostly on a single topic - so isn't it about time we got married?"

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 17, 2000)
So these are supposed to be bad/annoying people, right? The phone system guy and the political strategist, I get. The sports agent I don't, but that's just completely out of my wheelhouse. But what's wrong with newsreaders?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a cordless vac?!

This took me ages to understand since it's directly under Giant Ethicist's post and I was reading it right-to-left over again for almost 3 minutes.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 25, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes ()

This strip in particular always cracks me up, because there's a lot in the comic as a whole to suggest that Calvin is a genius. Not talking about his speech patterns that Watterson used as a deliberately joke, but there's several places that show he grasps concepts quite easy once he's given an incentive to care, and his troubles in school are very typical of those faced by kids that are much smarter than their peers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Big Nate

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a cordless vac?!

This took me ages to understand since it's directly under Giant Ethicist's post and I was reading it right-to-left over again for almost 3 minutes.

Bernice-senpai...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tiggum posted:

These old comics seem to have a lot of people proposing marriage within days of meeting each other. "It's been almost a week and we've had at least four whole conversations - mostly on a single topic - so isn't it about time we got married?"

Yeah, people didn't beat around the bush about marriage and kids, you had to finalize your life plans by the first weekend into dating.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lotta loveless marriages, lotta abusive homes. The good old days.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Tiggum posted:

There's a couple of of the And He Did! comics where the first panel is just some guy going "well I guess I'll go find a wife" like it's a decision you give no more thought to than what to have for dinner. This sort of thing maybe helps explain why there are also so many "married life is terrible!" strips.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 07, 1952)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzHMmDDTBI

Slammy posted:

Sweatin’ It Out August 1, 1945

Ah, haha, ah ha, oof.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 25, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

WHO CARES?! You apparently have tons of these things! Just give them to everyone! Why would you even build in a fail-safe like this?! This is Hollbrook-level stupid.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (November 20-22, 1919)

I find this one incredibly charming. The idea of an eight year old getting a cab, telling the cabbie what's up, and the cabbie agreeing with it is just...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vargo posted:

Curtis

WHO CARES?! You apparently have tons of these things! Just give them to everyone! Why would you even build in a fail-safe like this?! This is Hollbrook-level stupid.

Tomorrow we learn that everyone from the park attempted to sell theirs immediately, none of them work anymore and there are no more neverending salad bowls* for some dumb reason. It's a lesson about human greed, literally as great as any of Aesop's works.

*(Except at Olive Garden)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Green Intern posted:

Ah, haha, ah ha, oof.

Could you red rover it for me. 12 point is like, a deer hunting term right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the point score system they used to determine who would return from deployment first. The guy had a kid (who he might barely have seen) and having children got you points.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

goatface posted:

It's the point score system they used to determine who would return from deployment first. The guy had a kid (who he might barely have seen) and having children got you points.

Ah! Oof!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tiggum posted:

So these are supposed to be bad/annoying people, right? The phone system guy and the political strategist, I get. The sports agent I don't, but that's just completely out of my wheelhouse. But what's wrong with newsreaders?
I believe the joke is that the 2000 election season is underway and due to the fact most of these people are involved in tech, news or culture, they no longer want to deal with the election cycle and are happy to just be on an island away from it all.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

I believe the joke is that the 2000 election season is underway and due to the fact most of these people are involved in tech, news or culture, they no longer want to deal with the election cycle and are happy to just be on an island away from it all.

I agree that's it's election-related, but interpret it as JJ wanting to send these folks to an island without hope of rescue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Huxley posted:

I agree that's it's election-related, but interpret it as JJ wanting to send these folks to an island without hope of rescue.

Yeah, that's definitely how I read it since one of them at the end is pointing out that they're supposed to be voted off, but they actually seem to have been abandoned there.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 19-25, 1983)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is probably kinda dumb, but because of this strip, I imagined a cymbal crash after every time Vader talked about destiny in the OT.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "418 - Jucika And The Theatrical Success"

"419 - Jucika And The Connoisseur"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i simply cannot read arnold because i find the art so utterly repellant. it might have to best writing in the world but i refuse to give in

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No Swearing Around The Fortnite MILFs

IT'S MARCH BABEY, TIME TO gently caress MY WIFE, JUST FUCKEN GET UP IN THERE AND CAUSE AN INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT LEAVING HUNDREDS DEAD AND MORE UNACCOUNTED FOR ALONG WITH CRIES FROM OTHER NATIONS DEMANDING ACCOUNTABILITY FOR MY SEXUAL ACTIONS

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Curtis

If anything, it's a huge gently caress you to someone who might be in poverty but food secure(and therefore would need the money more than endless salad).

Although if we're thinking about this more than Billingsley did(read: at all), what happens if someone tries to sell the salads they get from the bowl but keeps the bowl itself? Is that allowed?

kidcoelacanth posted:

i simply cannot read arnold because i find the art so utterly repellant. it might have to best writing in the world but i refuse to give in
It's mostly just kinda meh from what I've read, very much a 'has one joke and never feels like finding a second joke' strip. Not that that's surprising since from the background info given, it was mostly notable for being edgy for the day.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 5, 1934)

Peanuts (August 28, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Another reminder of how this strip has completely lost its own plot: the school they went to was demolished in 2007.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater begins a new story! Sort of... (March 27, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 4-6, 1939)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Okay, the lower-case "a" anarchy symbol got me good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

A perfect time to repost the best Nancy of all time

Dustin

Mandrake

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

This is true. It also describes a lot of strips, like Our Boarding House and Life in Hell and a bunch of others, that beg the question of whether they would be better as short stories instead of a lot of blather hanging over a static picture.

All that talk can be well written, but if the art could be made with a stamp every time, half the job is a failure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Arnold is really leaning on the imagery and it only occasionally hits.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

"Well, if you want to pay me to come back every three days with more duct tape and wd-40, and still have to buy a new air conditioner, we can do that instead..."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

"Well, if you want to pay me to come back every three days with more duct tape and wd-40, and still have to buy a new air conditioner, we can do that instead..."

We did that once, "Well, I can fix it for a $1k, but I'll be back out here next year telling you the fix gave out and it'll cost you $6k to replace it. Or we can replace it this week for $6k."

The fix gave out after about 6 months and there we were.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

maltesh posted:

And we all know that's what he's going to do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is Kell putting the used diapers in the diaper bag? You're not supposed to put the used diapers in a diaper bag. PSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

kidcoelacanth posted:

It doesn't have the best writing in the world, but it has its charm.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Turns out the poster on CK who has been posting the Sunday A3Gs put up the week that was skipped in the CK archive, so here I present the thrilling conclusion to the Bradley Halverson story:

Not particularly exciting but there it is.