Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mozi posted:

ok sorry that was just a joke

the actual picture is here :nws:

I can see why the frogs are turning gay, yowza. :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Does anyone know if the show cause hearings tomorrow are going to be streamed?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mozi posted:

ok sorry that was just a joke

the actual picture is :nws:

It is Wednesday my dudes

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So what's the current schedule for the CT goings on? I remember hearing about jury selection like a week ago but nothing really since.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/_frankigraziano/status/1562810857238646784

Boo. Pattis is pleading the 5th.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That's an early sign that this is going to be hilarious

If you ask someone why they mishandled files so badly and their response is "I'm exercising my right to not implicate myself in criminal conduct", you know it wasn't just a simple whoopsie

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Really pushing for never being allowed to handle secure documents ever again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

That's an early sign that this is going to be hilarious

If you ask someone why they mishandled files so badly and their response is "I'm exercising my right to not implicate myself in criminal conduct", you know it wasn't just a simple whoopsie

That's not going to help Jones, if anything it makes it look like Jones requested this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pixaal posted:

That's not going to help Jones, if anything it makes it look like Jones requested this.

I think he’s trying to help himself at this point, not jones

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

the yeti posted:

I think he’s trying to help himself at this point, not jones

I'm aware, but this thread is about Alex Jones, it's funny that defending himself will likely hurt Jones.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Reynal is going for it though

https://twitter.com/ChristineDeRos7/status/1562826050341523457

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A true believer I guess. Bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works for him.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pleading the 5th during a disciplinary hearing seems to be something you would want to avoid if possible

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
An interview with Mark Bankston just dropped on the Law&Crime Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI_xOXVt8qI

E: He says that the 2 jurors who did not sign on to the compensatory damages thought the total should be higher. Also some Jones fans sent CSAM to him and the judge.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 25, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've lost track of this clown car wreck. Can someone sum up what's been going on? Is AJ going to jail for purgery?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You can go to the 11 minute mark of the interview linked above for purgery talk from Bankston but essentially, yes they are pursuing it but "it's a difficult thing to prosecute"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
News story covering the first part of the show cause hearing (they took a break that just ended).

quote:

The trail of the files, which were stored in a folder called “CT Sandy Hook offload,” goes from Pattis to a Texas bankruptcy attorney, and then to Andino Reynal, whom Jones hired as a defense attorney in the Texas lawsuits.

Reynal says that back in June, the bankruptcy attorney handed him a white external hard drive. But the bankruptcy attorney said he did that at Reynal’s request. Reynal said Thursday he doesn’t remember doing that.

“I’m not saying it couldn’t have happened – it could have – I’m saying I don’t remember that conversation,” Reynal said.

Reynal said he didn’t look at what was in the files until “everything blew up.”

“It was incredibly embarrassing,” Reynal said, about when he learned of the improper record sharing.

Edit: it's back on and not going well for Reynal

https://twitter.com/_frankigraziano/status/1562883026551709697
https://twitter.com/_frankigraziano/status/1562884001928396800

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 25, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hungry Computer posted:

An interview with Mark Bankston just dropped on the Law&Crime Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI_xOXVt8qI

E: He says that the 2 jurors who did not sign on to the compensatory damages thought the total should be higher. Also some Jones fans sent SCAM to him and the judge.

What is SCAM?

Lol

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ilmucche posted:

What is SCAM?

Lol

I assume he meant CSAM. (child sex abuse material)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
yeah, it was a typo

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Hungry Computer posted:

yeah, it was a typo

Somehow I knew that's what you were referring to as well because that's just the type of poo poo the far right does

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Somehow I knew that's what you were referring to as well because that's just the type of poo poo the far right does

Super cool that people are employing this incredibly reprehensible stuff to attack others in an effort to get them swatted or raided because the giant beet they worship is going to face consequences.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

B-Rock452 posted:

I assume he meant CSAM. (child sex abuse material)

at least it wasn't CSPAM, brrrr

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
I wouldn't wish CSPAM on anyone.

pixaal posted:

This is good for Bitcoin Alex Jones.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 25, 2022

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mr. Merdle posted:

Super cool that people are employing this incredibly reprehensible stuff to attack others in an effort to get them swatted or raided because the giant beet they worship is going to face consequences.

Oh, but it's just a joke man. CSAM is funny. If you can't laugh at that you're a square and a libtard, you know? *

*Not actually what I think please don't ban me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Oh, but it's just a joke man. CSPAM is funny. If you can't laugh at that you're a square and a libtard, you know? *

*Not actually what I think please don't ban me

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Boo. Pattis is pleading the 5th.
That makes sense to me because it seems like he's in more potential trouble:

- Pattis gets access to confidential files in discovery and is covered by a court order controlling how he can disclose them
- It seems like Reynal might join that case (in which case he would have legitimate access and be covered by those orders)
- Pattis sends Reynal the files even though Reynal hasn't actually joined yet
- Ultimately, Reynal never joins
- Reynal distributes the files to others

Pattis distributed stuff in violation of the order, Reynal is a random 3rd party (he was never supposed to have access to begin with). He has a general ethical obligation to fix it if he notices he got something improperly (like Bankston did), but he can also argue "Pattis sent me a bunch of prep stuff, but then I didn't join the case so I never looked into what exactly it was. I assumed that nothing he sent at that point in time was confidential"

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Foxfire_ posted:

he can also argue "Pattis sent me a bunch of prep stuff, but then I didn't join the case so I never looked into what exactly it was. I assumed that nothing he sent at that point in time was confidential"

As someone who deals with data retention it seems kinda wild that in this situation you don’t immediately destroy what material you have since you have no immediate use for it anymore.

Maybe competent lawyers do that?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

the yeti posted:

As someone who deals with data retention it seems kinda wild that in this situation you don’t immediately destroy what material you have since you have no immediate use for it anymore.

Maybe competent lawyers do that?

Yes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If this was a normal case and Alex/Reynal weren't being such gigantic shitheads, would "please disregard" have been enough for Mark to not use the files out of professional courtesy?

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 26, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If this was a normal case and Alex/Reynal weren't being such gigantic shitheads, would "please disregard" have been enough for Mark to not use the files out of professional courtesy?

Bankston has said that if Reynal wasn't being such a dick the judge probably wouldn't have let it go ahead.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, it’s very possible. Too bad (for him and his client) Reynal acted like a stupid rear end in a top hat the whole time.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

NAL, but the data included stuff that should have been turned over earlier, so I don't think any lawyer would "please disregard" anything they ought to have.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

That makes sense to me because it seems like he's in more potential trouble:

- Pattis gets access to confidential files in discovery and is covered by a court order controlling how he can disclose them
- It seems like Reynal might join that case (in which case he would have legitimate access and be covered by those orders)
- Pattis sends Reynal the files even though Reynal hasn't actually joined yet
- Ultimately, Reynal never joins
- Reynal distributes the files to others

Pattis distributed stuff in violation of the order, Reynal is a random 3rd party (he was never supposed to have access to begin with). He has a general ethical obligation to fix it if he notices he got something improperly (like Bankston did), but he can also argue "Pattis sent me a bunch of prep stuff, but then I didn't join the case so I never looked into what exactly it was. I assumed that nothing he sent at that point in time was confidential"
You have a gap in step 3 where Pattis send Reynal the files directly... instead he gave them to a bankruptcy lawyer to handover without mentioning what the contents of the files were.

The odder part of Reynal's whole story so far is he's claiming he was given a white hard drive without knowing the contents, then somehow it came into his law office and got put onto dropbox with a share link that then got send to opposing counsel. Are any devices that goes near his office getting copied onto dropbox with no one inside knowing what the contents are? How sure are we that this hard drive was the only copy Pattis made? We're trusting the bankruptcy lawyer as an intermediary, but this whole story just makes it look worse for anyone barred.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In general, from what I understand, yes. From what I understand of the timeline, Reynal sent the files, was informed that he sent the wrong files, said "Can you pwetty pwease dewete the files uwu", and then proceeded to act like a complete douchbag to Mark in court, complete with swearing and offensive gestures, and to to top it off, never even tried sending a figleaf cover of "here's a link to some related materials so you have no reason to keep the other files".

That to me is the most damning part of the whole thing. It would be one thing if Reynal was acting like a dick in court but cooperating with Mark behind the scenes, because Alex Jones probably expects his lawyers to be loud and bombastic jerks, but when he can't actually follow through with something as simple as "I threw some files into a Google drive link and sent it to Mark to cover my own rear end after my fuckup"... well, you get what you get.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are formal procedures to be used when things have been shared in error and should be memory holed. He did not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If this was a normal case, Mark would have had those files already. Jones lost the case because he and his team refused to comply with discovery, so no one was inclined to be merciful when his team accidentally sent a bunch of stuff that they'd refused to provide during discovery.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sometimes chronically lovely people rely on most people not being lovely. If they are the shittiest guy in the room it gives them an advantage. Prisoner's dilemma where you gain a benefit from hitting Betray, but only as long as no one else does it too.

So he bases his career on not being professional or courteous to others, but is all shocked Pikachu face when another lawyer doesn't extend professional courtesy to him anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

goatface posted:

There are formal procedures to be used when things have been shared in error and should be memory holed. He did not.