Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Movies are popular and run at 24 fps

Ah, I get it Nintendo is the MCU of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What's the last good Nintendo game? Probably Wind Waker if we're being generous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm probably still getting a steam deck eventually and installing a hundred emulators on it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

Also poo poo now I want some Taco Bell

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

What's the last good Nintendo game? Probably Wind Waker if we're being generous.
animal crossing new horizons ftw

wait i forgot about famiclub remakes and metroid dread. those were sick

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

absolutely moron poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaius Marius posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nintendo refuses to do a drat thing with Eternal Darkness and that is the gravest of sins.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol small indie companies are really having to penny pinch in order to pay their employees.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I like the PS5 as a supplement to my PC + Switch combo (God's combo, so to speak). I also have a, likely atypical, setup where the PS5 is in a different room than my PC and I don't always have access to one or the other.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

its not magic, its just a pcie4 ssd instead of a pcie3 one. unfortunately nothing has used it except for ratchet and clank because every other game is on ps4 and will be getting pc port.

Would be cool if that got some more use- kind of a bummer that one of their big touted hardware features is sorta locked to stuff that will only ever be on PS5

I guess they could pull some amazing implementation of it out of their rear end later on down the road but Sony also has been porting a few of their big games like Horizon and GOW to PC so I dunno

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gaius Marius posted:

Donkey Kong and that's being generous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone talking about price hikes reminded me that over the years I have seen my local taco truck go from dollar tacos to 2.20 tacos...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Now that Baja Blast is available in stores my Taco Bell consumption has dropped off dramatically. Its too bad the Cheesy Gordita Crunch is objectively one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Games in general went downhill after the Magnavox Odyssey

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I only play Tiger handhelds. 1-game, 1-console, just the way god intended.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the highest grossing game adjusted for inflation is still Space Invaders so it's been a hard slide since then

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now do Xbox.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

As a Person of Playstation Ownership I am feeling harrassed and unsafe

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Splatoon 3 is out in 2 weeks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Spider-man is one of the few games where I avoid the fast travel because swinging in the city is just so much fun. Pulling off the tricks and seeing how fast I can go is incredibly satisfying. In fact, I would say it has one of the best movement styles in the whole of video gaming.

My one gripe is that swinging is so fun I basically never spent any time walking on street level and they actually put a ton of nice detail down there. Not quite Yakuza but I mean pretty close for such a massively bigger space to shrink down. Anyway, please add web slinging to next Yakuza game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Nintendo dream is they flop out of the console business like Sega and just focus on the one thing they do well, making games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

its not magic, its just a pcie4 ssd instead of a pcie3 one. unfortunately nothing has used it except for ratchet and clank because every other game is on ps4 and will be getting pc port.
It's not just a faster SSD, it's also that the hardware and software are specifically designed to work together to maximize data throughput from disk to memory. Windows games have to load everything from disk through the Windows I/O stack, plus decompress on the CPU and send data to the GPU. Once the disk gets fast enough, the CPU becomes the bottleneck. The PS5's "magic" is that they engineered the entire thing from start to finish specifically to be fast at doing what games need to do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sega’s average game quality dropped like a stone three years after dropping out. It’s too bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Volte posted:

It's not just a faster SSD, it's also that the hardware and software are specifically designed to work together to maximize data throughput from disk to memory. Windows games have to load everything from disk through the Windows I/O stack, plus decompress on the CPU and send data to the GPU. Once the disk gets fast enough, the CPU becomes the bottleneck. The PS5's "magic" is that they engineered the entire thing specifically to be fast at doing what games need to do.

It was a great idea unfortunately they forgot to actually make games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there’s one thing Sony has always done well, it’s providing brilliant bespoke titles that are only available on its platforms. And now that platform is the PlayStation 5. With fast-as-you-like SSD speeds and gargantuan power to deliver 4K HDR graphics directly to your eyeballs, we’re seeing more beautiful worlds being created than ever before. These come in the form of remasters of beloved franchises, new entries in continuing series, and completely new PS5 exclusives built from the ground up for their shiny new system.

These titles use Sony’s PS5 hardware not just with increased resolutions, frame rates, and graphics, but they utilise all the unique aspects of it, too. The DualSense controller’s haptic feedback provides more accurate vibration than its predecessors, and its adaptive triggers allow for gameplay mechanics not available anywhere else, increasing trigger tension when your in-game character pulls a bowstring or shoots a gun. Throw in 3D audio delivered via the console’s Tempest Engine hardware chip and PS5 exclusives are shaping up to be an area to keep your eye on.

So, here is a comprehensive list of all PS5 exclusives that are both out now and coming out in the future. This list includes titles coming to PC — but with no plans for an Xbox release as of yet — and also titles that are cross-gen with the PS4. But let’s face it, the PS5 is going to be the best place to play these games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The Nintendo dream is they flop out of the console business like Sega and just focus on the one thing they do well, making games.

the switch is the best console anyone has made for three generations of hardware

Volte posted:

It's not just a faster SSD, it's also that the hardware and software are specifically designed to work together to maximize data throughput from disk to memory. Windows games have to load everything from disk through the Windows I/O stack, plus decompress on the CPU and send data to the GPU. Once the disk gets fast enough, the CPU becomes the bottleneck. The PS5's "magic" is that they engineered the entire thing from start to finish specifically to be fast at doing what games need to do.

yeah but this stuff is coming to pc as well with directstorage and whatever the nvidia and amd gpu things are called, and pcie5 is already on the way. its a temporary advantage that theyve refused to use for some reason, the only outcome is they spent part of the console budget on this thing theyre not using while the xbox spent it on a better gpu.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
If someone offered to trade me a top of the line gaming pc for my ps5 I'd probably tell them thanks but no thanks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fridge corn posted:

If someone offered to trade me a top of the line gaming pc for my ps5 I'd probably tell them thanks but no thanks

I'd trade one for yours

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd trade one for yours

Thanks but no thanks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Did this post time travel from 2015

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

gamesplooge.com/best-ps5-games-2022

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

Did this post time travel from 2015

the "every Japanese developer should simply quit making anything but phone games" era is a throwback

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm when was the last time Nintendo won SA GOTY?
:thunk:

Sorry but the writings on the wall. Rip

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

stev posted:

Now do Xbox.
if i'm being fair and judging first/second party ps4/ps5 exclusives vs xb1/xbs exclusives... microsoft has the numbers game at least

sony kind of crushed jp studio into dust.. they've got ghost of tsushima, last of us, sackboy, R&C, nioh, spiderman, dreams, mlb the show, god of war, horizon, bluepoint souls, astrobot, returnal, destruction allstars, and death stranding

while microsoft has flight sim, gears, ori, halo, sea of thieves, grounded, AOE, pentiment, forza, avowed, hellblade 2, outer worlds 2, perfect dark, redwall, indiana jones, starfield, ESO6, FO5, and whatever iD and DoubleFine are working on, and now WoW, overwatch 2 and call of duty i guess.

at least in terms of what's upcoming though, it's heavily tilted towards xbox... sony's got spiderman 2 and wolverine? i think that's it? xbox has, as mentioned before, avowed, pentiment, hellblade 2, outer worlds 2, perfect dark reboot, redwall, indiana jones, starfield, eso6, fo5, COD (not that COD is really worth caring about here). also benedict fox which looks cool

i own a ps5 so, you know, i'd like it to have more poo poo on it. but sony seems like they'd rather make movies of their dormant franchises than actual followups (gravity rush....)

e: plus as we all know, AAA games are poison and fail anyway, while indie games reign supreme

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 25, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bethesda games as a system seller is p lol ngl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

e: plus as we all know, AAA games are poison and fail anyway, while indie games reign supreme

this op

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Bethesda games as a system seller is p lol ngl

Well they are hugely popular

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Outside of our fun forums bubble Bethesda games are ridiculously popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU