Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

MasterBuilder posted:

Has anyone done a convention mystery booster draft? I've never drafted in person and I figure it would be a little more relaxed than a standard set draft.

I don't know what your definition of "relaxed" is, but there are a TON of different abilities on these cards and not all of them have reminder text. It's a chaos draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

https://twitter.com/ArtistEliMinaya/status/1562513348104638465
The card is goodn't but the art is VERY good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I love my opponent so much I'm going to spend three mana to let them draw two cards that they get to use first

(Just kidding, I know the actual text of the card is "2W - Create a 1/1 Bird token with flying. Put a +1/+1 counter on two creatures you control.")

kalel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 25, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
FTK lost its Flame Tongue :(

and got:

Creature - Phyrexian Kavu

First Strike

As an additional cost to cast red permanent spells, you may pay 2 life. Those spells cost {R} less to cast if you paid life this way. This effect reduces only the amount of red mana you pay.

Whenever you cast a red permanent spell, ~ deals 1 damage to any target.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
For as much as they have boosted creatures since the times of Planeshift, they really don’t want to print a new Flametongue Kavu into standard huh. (Black and White seem to be able to get similar creatures but too much for Red maybe?)

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 25, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mike N Eich posted:

For as much as they have boosted creatures since the times of Planeshift, they really don’t want to print a new Flametongue Kavu into standard huh. (Black and White seem to be able to get similar creatures but too much for Red maybe?)

Kind of baffling that they refuse to reprint FTK because it seems pretty in line with the power level of creatures these days. Given that it doesn't hit Planeswalkers it might not even be that high. It's an aggressive utility card with some upside in the right matchups, rather than the auto include it was back in the day.

Maybe they'll bring it back in one of the upcoming Dominaria centric sets but yeah, very weird.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's because it has a drawback

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's true but there's nothing stopping them from printing a version that only targets opponent's creatures. It wouldn't even be overbearing I don't think.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Someone please link the Patrick Sullivan rant about Ravenous Chupacabra

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Basalt Ravager is your FTK at home.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lametongue kapoo

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I am grateful today for this card because it's opening up slots in my Cube for more of my pet-card nonsense.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lmao why is that rare and not uncommon

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat straight into vintage cube wow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

It's really good.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Silhouette posted:

A bunch of modes on a 2/1 body is actually quite good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silhouette posted:

It would be too strong for limited at uncommon imo.

It's a very versatile card where all of its modes are at least decent for the cost.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Silhouette posted:

There was the black one in stixhaven and the white prince in eldraine. They put these 'pick one of three basic etb effects' at rare, maybe for draft balancing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I am grateful today for this card because it's opening up slots in my Cube for more of my pet-card nonsense.

drat that's good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lone Goat posted:

Someone please link the Patrick Sullivan rant about Ravenous Chupacabra

He overreacted. That card didn't dominate standard or anything. There are way too many things that punish creatures that just come into play without an ETB than this card. They wouldn't be good if it didn't exist.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

AngryBooch posted:

Wasn't the same guy in the last 5 sets in uncommon or even common in white. Was his black version rare? I don't really remember.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AngryBooch posted:

I feel like this is just short of being good enough for Modern Humans but I'm sure people will try it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I feel like this is just short of being good enough for Modern Humans but I'm sure people will try it.

It’ll fit right into the bant coco blink list that spike was playing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kalel posted:

I love my opponent so much I'm going to spend three mana to let them draw two cards that they get to use first

(Just kidding, I know the actual text of the card is "2W - Create a 1/1 Bird token with flying. Put a +1/+1 counter on two creatures you control.")

Hullbreacher really loves the Love Song of Night and Day, a true aesthete

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’ll fit right into the bant coco blink list that spike was playing

Yeah its going to be really good in that. that deck is much better than it’s meta share

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time posted:

Yeah its going to be really good in that. that deck is much better than it’s meta share

I’ve played against it on modo and it’s pretty obnoxious if they manage to go off lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

snyprmag posted:

There was the black one in stixhaven and the white prince in eldraine. They put these 'pick one of three basic etb effects' at rare, maybe for draft balancing.

I really like the black one and put 1x into my janky Grixis Control deck that I toy around with on Arena. It's always relevant in some way when I draw it. Right now nuking graveyards is more relevant than bouncing something, I think, but this card is still great.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

mcmagic posted:

He overreacted. That card didn't dominate standard or anything. There are way too many things that punish creatures that just come into play without an ETB than this card. They wouldn't be good if it didn't exist.

I haven’t watched it in a while but I always thought his rant was more about how Ixalan was marketed as a tribal set and chupacabra was not part of any tribe and thus not pushing the sets themes into constructed rather than a straight up power level rant.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Wasn't the same guy in the last 5 sets in uncommon or even common in white. Was his black version rare? I don't really remember.

Three mana 2/1s that draw a card? Those are commons or uncommons typically. Priest of Ancient Lore, Inspiring Overseer, Cloudkin Seer, etc. Man-o-wars / Frost Lynx variants are usually commons or uncommons too.

But having this much modality is usually on a rare like Callous Bloodmage or the two-mana 2/2 Charming Prince.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Cards that do three things tend to be higher rarity than cards that do one thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I forget does Magic consider the complexity of the card when deciding rarity or was that just Hearthstone?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I forget does Magic consider the complexity of the card when deciding rarity or was that just Hearthstone?

Historically yes but the promise has been broken by cards like Brazen Borrower which was Mythic rarity purely because of its efficiency.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yes. (Theoretically.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The old take is that mythic rarity is reserved for cards that are too complex, which is why there's lots of bad mythics.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

resistentialism posted:

The old take is that mythic rarity is reserved for cards that are too complex, which is why there's lots of bad mythics.

Cast Through Time, now there’s a mythic!
I think I have a playset of those somewhere, along with my playset of lighthouse chronologists which are now worth $15 each apparently.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

insanely sick

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

insanely sick

Are there a lot of cleric token makers? I know it doesn't say tokens but wondering

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

insanely sick

First thought is I want to sac a mutavault to this.

I don't even care what creature I go get

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Are there a lot of cleric token makers? I know it doesn't say tokens but wondering

Hallowed Haunting is the only meaningful one in Standard. If you go a bit further back, Westvale Abbey and original Heliod would be the standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Isn't Hallowed Haunting spirits?