Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lotus Cobra at uncommon would’ve been absolutely pure Limited hell, Llanowar Elves and Elvish Mystics are fine at Uncommon, Deathrite, BoP, Ragavan… you don’t want those just flooding limited environments and destroying the format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I can’t help but judge Wizards for not having come up with a coherent identity for what a Lotus is. It seems to just mean “gives you mana, probably any color, rare or mythic”. It compares unfavorably with what they’ve done with Mox cards. They should have stuck with the theme that you have to sacrifice something to get the mana, at least.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TT or Kenrith for a Hermit Druid list?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like there's some cool poo poo you can do with this. I wanna build around it! It's a really unique concept.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really want to build a King Darien deck now, tbh. But I already have Lathril and two go-wide tokens decks based in green might be too much. I bet if I make Darien mostly white and more anthem focused, he’ll feel pretty different.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Framboise posted:

I feel like there's some cool poo poo you can do with this. I wanna build around it! It's a really unique concept.

Apparently it works with mutate, thats nice

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

Apparently it works with mutate, thats nice

Nifty, but sadly the only mutate creature I'd see useful in even a semi-cEDH deck is the octopus with the curiosity effect. Most of the others in simic are overcosted and need to be built around mutation to begin with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Likewise with bestow. They're all hugely overcosted garbage.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Disturb a lot. Katilda has somehow been relevant in every game I've gotten her out in. Turns out there are a lot of vampires in the format!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I'm sure someone will like this: http://mythicspoiler.com/dmu/cards/vesuvanduplimancy.html

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

This hole was made for me

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I tap my liquimetal torque targeting Vesuvan Duplimancy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm so glad I bought a Whim of Voltath when it was 30 cents

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Target a Gilded Lotus and go ham.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
How does Whim of Volrath relate to that card? I'm confused.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

It's a card that targets any kind of permanent that is easy to recur.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heath posted:

Clockspinning, Mind Games, Whim of Volrath and Memory Crystal gonna spike hard

Orvar just got a lot better

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Framboise posted:

it can freely target anything, doesn't matter if its effect can't do anything, and it has the cheapest cost+buyback combo.

Clockspinning would work too for 1 more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ohhhh.

Well poo poo, I missed the bus on that one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Target a Gilded Lotus and go ham.

Oh I have

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Framboise posted:

Nifty, but sadly the only mutate creature I'd see useful in even a semi-cEDH deck is the octopus with the curiosity effect. Most of the others in simic are overcosted and need to be built around mutation to begin with.

My poor boy Lore Drakkis, already forgotten.

It was a bad combo to be fair.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

My poor boy Lore Drakkis, already forgotten.

It was a bad combo to be fair.

Not simic, sadly. I was speaking in context of Ivy.

The more I think on her, the harder she is to build around in a way that could even possibly keep up with cEDH decks. If only she were bant or sultai, then it'd have better stax or better tutors.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hmmm....

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A three mana rock that's actually maybe kinda good in this powercrept environment? Huh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Hmmm....

Another card for Esika Ascendancy combo. Yaaaaaaay. :woop:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Hmmm....

A multi-use springleaf drum in some decks? I don't hate it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

Hmmm....

Arcane signet was a design failure.

Hold my beer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I loving love devoting a slot in every single deck to a specific card

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
To be clear, I think Relic2 and Cursed Mirror are the proper way to get 3cmc rocks: Make a card that does something and staple a rock to it, as opposed to the other way around. 2drop rocks can be rocks with a little bonus (torque/mind stone), but 3drops need to be a real card first.

And, no I don't think this is an every-deck, or even most-decks, card. But it's good and I'm glad they made it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Heath posted:

I loving love devoting a slot in every single deck to a specific card

What are you even talking about? Are you trying to say this rock is an auto include in every deck?

I will say it's a slam dunk for Magda.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

What are you even talking about? Are you trying to say this rock is an auto include in every deck?

I think they're talking about Arcane Signet? Which yeah is a problem imo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aranan posted:

It slots into most good decks really well.

It's less relevant for battlecruiser stuff but the play pattern it will evoke and it's ability to create even more mana when you run partners or utility legendaries, of which there are an increasing number of, it's a drat strong card.

Pretty much any partner, combo, or 3+ color deck i'd consider it, and depending on what the deck is trying to do i'd strongly consider it for a lot of mono and dual color decks.

It's like a worn powerstone that taps for colored mana and comes into play untapped but also can tap for more than worn powerstone, and can do it one at a time, and further leverages cards that do things like cause untaps.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

I think they're talking about Arcane Signet? Which yeah is a problem imo.

Yes, that. Arcane Signet is even a good include in a mono colored (besides green I guess) deck. I'd like less of that kind of thing, personally

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think Arcane Signet is good for the same reason Command Tower and Exotic Orchard are good-it’s good to have some basic staples for all commander decks that anyone and everyone has access to and aren’t expensive. Like, sure, they’re boring. But they’re boring like the ABUR duals are boring, except actually accessible to the public.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Framboise posted:

A multi-use springleaf drum in some decks? I don't hate it.

Read it again, you don't have to tap the rock for the second mode lmao

poo poo's gonna pop off in legend heavy decks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They learned their lesson and didn’t let it tap enchantments and planeswalkers this time at least.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

That's why they said "Multi-use".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

Batterypowered7 posted:

That's why they said "Multi-use".

Bingo. Card is pretty great. Slam dunk in partner decks tbh, you've got at least 2 dorks on hand at any given time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Aphrodite posted:

They learned their lesson and didn’t let it tap enchantments and planeswalkers this time at least.

yeah and equipment lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aphrodite posted:

Honor-worn Shaku didn't tap planeswalkers when it came out, and it was considered a nice upside that you could tap Hondens for it.