Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Having to bike back to get the car (thankfully not an expensive sticker) and now standing up is a struggle. I think I will just sit the rest of the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lex Neville posted:

my condolences :(

(hope you have a good trip!)

Gamescom is crazy big. Rode the bike there and parked it (folded) at the coat check. No worries.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my condolences were in relation to biking in amsterdam specifically ;)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I like cycling in Amsterdam, but you have to avoid the little tourist laden streets because traffic flow there sucksss

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

LimaBiker posted:

I like cycling in Amsterdam, but you have to avoid the little tourist laden streets because traffic flow there sucksss

Yeah I’m there on Tuesday afternoon and it was incredibly crowded. The bike traffic was a total surprise. I guess the nice weather had people just taking off to enjoy it.

There are a surprising number of bicycle commuters in Cologne as well. I got stopped by one who had never see an eyeglasses mounted mirror. I explained that in California we’re cycling with the automobiles. Cologne isn’t as setup as Amsterdam but it’s still pretty neat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IyBm98E

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like I may be able to get the Tarmac I'm looking for shipped to a Bikesource near me. :toot:

No reason to wait for a 2023 right? Are they coming soon?

The 2023s will have different paint jobs, that's about it. No sign of a new Specialized road race bike coming yet.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I miss Dutch bike infrastructure so so much after moving back to Germany.

I mean look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1561732934557728768?s=20&t=i-oiX_HzOfdArP8v8d4bhA

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

I miss Dutch bike infrastructure so so much after moving back to Germany.

I mean look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1561732934557728768?s=20&t=i-oiX_HzOfdArP8v8d4bhA

Where I live (North San Diego County) the teens and pre-teens are now on eBikes. The best part of this is their presence has made the auto drivers far more aware of cyclists.

Oh and yeah, Amsterdam is easier to bike in than Cologne. I did find a good route over the river, there’s a bike/walk path on the railroad bridge,

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The Facebook group I'm a member of has a couple of folks who met a couple of folks who were riding across a big part of the US last year. They caught up with them in Alton, Illinois, and helped them get on the "levee trail" (the MCT Confluence Trail, which I live close to), which is a fun trail if you like the river. They crossed at the Clark Bridge, which has a bike lane but it is insanely scary to me. From the Illinois side, you can look down and see the trail, but yeah, it's pretty hard to get to if you don't know exactly how to do it; it doesn't connect directly to US 67.

The next day, they headed up the MCT Heritage Trail to Marine, Illinois, where they headed further south on regular rural highways, and the video series continues.

I'm glad to see this area represented, even if it is just by some YouTube cycling tourists. And they picked a great trail in the Heritage, because it's gorgeous, especially the wooded parts. So many little bridges. If anyone is in the area, I recommend it.

They get to West Alton, Missouri a little over halfway through this video; Third Chute West Alton (there're ones in Alton and Grafton) is a place I only found out about this year. My wife appreciates the Bethalto representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596U8VfConw

The Heritage Trail ride is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_Amd7zaSo

I enjoyed seeing other people experience these trails and roads that I ride and drive so often. And props for riding on MO-94, because gently caress that road forever as a car driver; I can't imagine trying to cycle it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I plan a small, roughly week long, group ride with friends and family every year. It's a ton of fun to ride, and I am a planner so I enjoy that part of it too. This year we're doing USBR 30 across Wisconsin.

My wife and I also make the food for everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for lunch food that I can carry in a backpack on the ride that will hold up for 4 hours without refrigeration. I've traditionally just done PB&J with snacks, which works great, but I'd like something to mix it up so we don't have that 5+ days in a row. Thoughts?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Grumpwagon posted:

I plan a small, roughly week long, group ride with friends and family every year. It's a ton of fun to ride, and I am a planner so I enjoy that part of it too. This year we're doing USBR 30 across Wisconsin.

My wife and I also make the food for everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for lunch food that I can carry in a backpack on the ride that will hold up for 4 hours without refrigeration. I've traditionally just done PB&J with snacks, which works great, but I'd like something to mix it up so we don't have that 5+ days in a row. Thoughts?

Onigiri (sushi rice wrapped around fillings) works super nice as ride food. You can make them whatever size so they can be individual snacks or full meals.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
similar to the onigiri but more of a variable base recipe: https://efprocycling.com/tips-recipes/team-recipe-on-the-bike-rice-cakes/

Not sure if this is feasible for you in terms of cooking gear / refrigeration but it’s something I first heard about in this thread and now it’s something I try to take on every ride. Great energy source, easy to digest, can be sweet or savory and holds up pretty well if you wrap in foil.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still feeling like im having occasional shifting issues where my chain will get caught up in the FD under high load on big ring...starting to wonder if my chainring is wearing out. i have a newish chain (300-400 mi?) and new cassette (200-300) so i think those can be ruled out.

took a pic with a roller in between the teeth

gravel bike that has been rode in dry and lots of wet conditions but still not yet hit 6k miles on it.

from the park tool video about chainrings:

my teeth arent quite as pointy but the space of engagement looks similar

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BraveUlysses posted:

still feeling like im having occasional shifting issues where my chain will get caught up in the FD under high load on big ring...starting to wonder if my chainring is wearing out. i have a newish chain (300-400 mi?) and new cassette (200-300) so i think those can be ruled out.

took a pic with a roller in between the teeth

gravel bike that has been rode in dry and lots of wet conditions but still not yet hit 6k miles on it.

from the park tool video about chainrings:

my teeth arent quite as pointy but the space of engagement looks similar

Those teeth are supposed to be flat on top, yours looks pretty worn out to me so most likely the culprit.

New ring for comparison:

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 26, 2022

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah Jesus those are worn. Surprised you're not skipping when putting a lot of power into the pedals

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My quite new 52t front ring looks like this:

Your teeth look quite low compared to mine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Edit: an accident

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well its Very Cool that i can't find replacement shimano 50T chainrings in stock

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sounds like it’s a good time to get stronk and run a 55/42 like god intended

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol i wish but i absolutely need to keep gearing where i'm at since i'm a big boi and we have lots of elevation changes

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

your knees will thank you for not succumbing to macho big chainringism

spin to win

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

well its Very Cool that i can't find replacement shimano 50T chainrings in stock

Merlin Cycles has them in stock.

eBay also has a ton.

Yes, you will pay like $150 for a loving 50t chainring, it sucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
namaste

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Performance has DA rings for only a few bucks more

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

BraveUlysses posted:

I’ve got a spare 105 11s 50T because I accidentally double ordered, dm me- it’ll be cost plus shipping

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
My wife wanted to do cardio day outside after work, so instead of the gym, we hopped on our bikes. Unbeknownst to me, she decided to set her e-bike on the highest power assist rating to see what it was like, how long the battery would last, etc. So, beep beep boop, to level 3 it went. She led our little pack. I kept up pace, but it wasn't a cakewalk at all. For a ten-mile ride, I got the workout I usually get in about 20 miles. At the last couple of miles, I did go ahead and zoom past her, sprinting to the trailhead. When I got to the descent down the levee, I slowed up since the road is there, and she had caught up.

It used about half her battery, but we were really moving. At a more reasonable pace, she uses that much battery power in more than twice the distance.

Most importantly, though, I have my riding partner back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Double post because ouch.

So I did 40 miles today on the new bike, which handles the gravel road better than I thought it would but not as well as my Escape. Thing is, I never went all the way down to the end of the trail I rode today before, and I assumed the gravel stopped quickly. Nope. Five miles of it. And five miles back after I'd gone ahead and turned around at the end of the ridable trail (a small section at the very end is closed due to construction of a rail bridge).

So, gravel is hard for me. This bike handles it pretty good, and the advantages I get on the pavement are worth it. Thing is, I was not prepared for what 10 literal bumpy-rear end miles would do to my... uhm, bumpy rear end, I guess.

So now I know I need some gloves and something for my nether regions.

Oh... and dumb question for the gravel folks out there: is it normal to have 10 miles of gravel feel like 15 or so of pavement? I swear it just starts sapping my strength.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Gloves can only do so much - double wrapping or putting gel beneath the bar tape is going to be more effective (but both involve rewrapping the bars)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's definitely harder work riding gravel than pavement.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My last metric was in November.

With my new job, I set a goal of one by the end of August, with a secondary of under 4 hours. I figured I could get the first part, but the second maybe.

:toot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Oh... and dumb question for the gravel folks out there: is it normal to have 10 miles of gravel feel like 15 or so of pavement? I swear it just starts sapping my strength.

The century ride I try to do at least once a year is 85% on gravel and it loving blows. when you're coming back and hit the paved area about 13 miles from the start it turns into the easiest 13 miles you'll ever do in your life

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

tarlibone posted:

Double post because ouch.

So I did 40 miles today on the new bike, which handles the gravel road better than I thought it would but not as well as my Escape. Thing is, I never went all the way down to the end of the trail I rode today before, and I assumed the gravel stopped quickly. Nope. Five miles of it. And five miles back after I'd gone ahead and turned around at the end of the ridable trail (a small section at the very end is closed due to construction of a rail bridge).

So, gravel is hard for me. This bike handles it pretty good, and the advantages I get on the pavement are worth it. Thing is, I was not prepared for what 10 literal bumpy-rear end miles would do to my... uhm, bumpy rear end, I guess.

So now I know I need some gloves and something for my nether regions.

At my cycling club the rule of thumb is to tackle gravel rides at 2/3 of your flat pavement pace or slower. It takes a lot out of you.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
This all makes me feel better. I mean, I'm not stupid; I figured gravel was at least a bit tougher than pavement. But that segment I'm talking about is one I've never gone more than a mile or two down; the furthest I went was when I crossed the old Chain of Rocks Bridge, which is a couple miles into it. I had no idea it went for five miles, and this isn't crushed limestone or anything like that--just a plain ol' gravel road, except for a few spots where there is an old paved road that hasn't degraded enough to require being covered with gravel yet. (And no, not oil and chip. Just a Midwest country road with gravel about half the size of a golf ball.)

There's one spot next to the canal bridge where the gravel is especially deep, and you're basically swimming in it. The Escape handles it OK because of the wider tires, and the Contend AR did OK-ish.

I've got one more trail to do end-to-end by year's end. Next week is another group ride, right before some bicycle race in the STL. And one of my runner friends (she's the runner, I am not) tagged me in a challenge to do 150 miles in September for charity.

we do this because we like ourselves, right?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The century ride I try to do at least once a year is 85% on gravel and it loving blows. when you're coming back and hit the paved area about 13 miles from the start it turns into the easiest 13 miles you'll ever do in your life

... we do this because we like ourselves, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got my bike slightly over three years ago (Aug 22nd, 2019). I paid around 1500 for it. Something around that, plus accessories, etc.

I've put over 12.6k recorded miles on it, more money into it, neglected it for a few months this year, but poo poo, I don't regret buying it at all, more so now that I'm using it as my main mode of transportation to and from work.

For me though, there's a big reason why I should keep going: heart issues, well, in the future. Heart disease runs on both sides of my family, so I want to keep that from taking root as long as possible. Add in potential complications from HRT, and yeah, cardio is a big deal for me. Yeah I slacked off when I changed jobs in November, but gently caress, I missed riding more than I wanted to admit.

I'm back, bitches.

And yes I want fries with that :v:

For what it's worth:

The day I got my bike:

My bike now (or as of the 14th)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Good bike, well ridden, OP

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread, I bought a pannier for my bike because I hate wearing a backpack while I ride. Is this likely to get stolen? I feel like it would be beyond easy to steal one. But it's annoying to feel like I should remove it and bring it inside with me when I go to a store / the gym etc. Is there a way to actually secure it to my bike frame?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread, I bought a pannier for my bike because I hate wearing a backpack while I ride. Is this likely to get stolen? I feel like it would be beyond easy to steal one. But it's annoying to feel like I should remove it and bring it inside with me when I go to a store / the gym etc. Is there a way to actually secure it to my bike frame?

It is likely to get stolen. Bring it inside with you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Come do McLain Farms Gravel next year. It’s absolutely the hardest century you’ll find nearby

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sab669 posted:

You could zip tie it in place, but any opportunist with a pocket knife could still get it. Much more normal to bring it inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I've used mine for grocery store runs. It is the kind where the side bags can be zipped up into the sides of the trunk, so I carry it around like a purse or plop it into the shopping cart when I'm using it for errands. When I'm done, I mount it, unzip the sides, and fill them up.