Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Rolling zoonotic pandemic thread: Climate Change is giving you a bad rash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I know I'll eat a sixer for this but it makes me so sad I'll never probably eat in a restaurant or see a concert or fly on a plane again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

slurm posted:

I know I'll eat a sixer for this but it makes me so sad I'll never probably eat in a restaurant or see a concert or fly on a plane again

Well if it was any consolation, your ordered a sixer to eat and it was served promptly. Like being in a good restaurant.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

slurm posted:

I would prefer to PM you this, but since you don't have plat, be aware that you need to improve your posting in this thread or you will be threadbanned due to the pattern of unsupported claims, insinuation and personal posting across your alts. Your posts ITT should have sources when necessary, make their points directly, and not rely on your personal feelings or worries about COVID. There are many places you can have a more casual conversation about COVID, and you need to bring your A game when posting about it in D&D.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

slurm posted:

I don't eat in restaurants any longer but I've been able to go to concerts and fly in planes with n95 masks. The concerts were timed deliberately when the wave of hospitalization in my area was trending down. It sucks not being able to enjoy a pint at the show but it's cheaper to pre game anyway.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koos Group posted:

you need to bring your A game when posting about it in D&D.

Please cite your sources.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’ve been sock puppeting and they just get a warning?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

They’ve been sock puppeting and they just get a warning?

It's not against the rules to post with multiple accounts as long as you don't use them to agree with yourself.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koos Group posted:

It's not against the rules to post with multiple accounts as long as you don't use them to agree with yourself.

A polite, respectful, multi page argument between two accounts both citing data, journals, and various other resources - all posted by one very bored person - is the platonic ideal of D&D, is it not

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

McCracAttack posted:

Please cite your sources.

mastershakeman posted:

A polite, respectful, multi page argument between two accounts both citing data, journals, and various other resources - all posted by one very bored person - is the platonic ideal of D&D, is it not

That's enough shitposting, thank you.

slurm is not posting on multiple accounts itt

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
First step for approval of variant boosters is done.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1564984619849719808?t=5OjN9eEPB3P6SaQ0tHtiCw&s=19

Jethro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 31, 2022

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
What's everyone think is a good time frame from a 4th shot to this one?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

four months, usually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am so loving horny for this vaccine. Why does every article about it quote two immunologists who are down on it? Paul Offit is always horny for vaccines—I don’t know why he’s complaining about the need for human trials now. I understand mouse studies have limitations, but how could this booster be worse than doing nothing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

COVID-19: I am so loving horny for this vaccine.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why does every article about it quote two immunologists who are down on it? Paul Offit is always horny for vaccines—I don’t know why he’s complaining about the need for human trials now. I understand mouse studies have limitations, but how could this booster be worse than doing nothing?

It's worth bearing in mind that COVID has basically punched a big gaping hole in the normal regulatory process for vaccines, which used to be the most ringfenced category of FDA approvals. It's fair to be concerned about the diminished evidentiary standards being applied, especially if they stick around- just as long as they're not a trojan horse for antivaxx bullshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scipiotik posted:

Two months

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...19-vaccines-use posted:

at least two months following primary or booster vaccination

CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices can make the wait longer if they want.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 1, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

how could this booster be worse than doing nothing?
Weirdo strange side effect that ends up harming a bunch of people because you're recommending it for 330 million people (and getting it in ~150 million+ probably). It's not very likely since it's not very different from the past one and we know more about how that one behaves, but it is possible that something unexpected happens.

FDA has to balance among:
- people harmed because there's no better booster while waiting for longer safety trials
- people harmed if some one-in-ten-thousand occurrence serious side effect slips by (mitigated by how likely we think that is to happen given it's similar to the old one)
- people harmed if some serious side effect slips by and it convinces people to become antivax nutjobs and not vaccinate in general

and all that is complicated further by uncertainty about how much better a variant specific booster would be vs just doing another round of the probably-less-effective-but-more-known-safety-profile existing one. There's no right answer and it'll depend on the people deciding making fuzzy best guesses about risk/benefit.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Discendo Vox posted:

I AM GRANDO posted:

COVID-19: I am so loving horny for this vaccine.

I;m thinking about thos Vaccines.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mojo1701a posted:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

OK it's probably not making much difference, but why the hell are the new vaccines in America restricted to people who've already been vaccinated?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

OK it's probably not making much difference, but why the hell are the new vaccines in America restricted to people who've already been vaccinated?

Probably only tested them at a certain dosage. The dosages for the first 2 shots are much higher than the boosters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a semi‐justifiable technical reason in that the new shot are booster sized.

Original shots were 100 µg/30 µg Moderna/Pfizer. New shots are 50 µg/30 µg and split between mRNA that codes the spike of BA.4/BA.5 and code for Wuhan‐Hu‐1.

I still question the decision, but it’s the conservative choice given that and the extensive trials and history of use of the original formulation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its been eons since ive last posted. The only thing i've really been keeping up on are the weekly TWiV episodes which have been great coverage about Covid & Monkeypox. I have some questions though about both things, assuming that there's at least a few goons here who are getting vaccinated with the latter vaccine or follow it a great deal:

1) Does carefully timing my 4th mRNA covid shot to provide maximum protection during winter do much? Seeing that the BA4/5 vaccine is slowly making its way out, should I just get when I can? Not sure if there's more potential harm in trying to min/max things. For what its worth, I got covid in early jan 2021, and have had repeated extremely close calls all year without getting sick again, somehow.

2) Googling shows that we don't really know how effective the BA4/5 boosters are. If they're a "dud", so to speak, are they at least going to be as good as the original vaccines?

3) Should I get my second monkeypox dose on a different day than my covid booster? are there any dangers of back to back vaccines?

4) kinda a weird one - does a close call covid exposure re-up my immunity in any way? I was shoulder to shoulder with a guy in an enclosed room for 2 hours who was extremely positive and I somehow didn't catch covid. Did that event put my immune system on alert for next time, or does it not work that way unless I actually get infected/get a shot?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

buglord posted:

1) Does carefully timing my 4th mRNA covid shot to provide maximum protection during winter do much? Seeing that the BA4/5 vaccine is slowly making its way out, should I just get when I can? Not sure if there's more potential harm in trying to min/max things. For what its worth, I got covid in early jan 2021, and have had repeated extremely close calls all year without getting sick again, somehow.

Maybe. The original boosters fall off in protection pretty significantly between months three and six. We’ve long had analogous guidance for the flu vaccine, specifically for older adults, that the government doesn’t want them to get flu shots in August because if they only get one shot per year, it’s better to risk exposure in the low‐activity weeks of August and September in exchange for better protection through March and April, when activity is usually higher.

That said, the coronavirus landscape is very different than the flu, the burden of disease from COVID is quite high even during summer. Flu doesn’t do that.

Would you like to hear what the nation’s foremost authority on infectious disease has to say about it?

https://lemonadamedia.com/podcast/ten-questions-for-dr-fauci-from-boosters-and-polio-to-retirement/ posted:

Andy Slavitt 09:18

Okay, second question is about the bivalent booster. We got a number of questions on this. In fact, I talked to Califf this morning, and he was more enthusiastic than we usually hear—this is the FDA commissioner for those of you don’t know. So I think the question people have is, when will they be able to get it? Should they wait, if they haven’t been boosted for bivalent? And then if it comes out in September, should they get it right away? Or does it make sense to wait because we don’t know how long it’ll last and we want it to go through the winter. Those are the questions we got on the bivalent.

Tony Fauci 09:56

Okay. Okay, three parts. A, it’s gonna be available the first or second week in September, from Pfizer, and probably the end of September, beginning of October for Moderna. Number two, if you are an elderly person with an underlying condition, and you have not been vaccinated in calendar year—boosted in calendar year 2022—you shouldn’t wait. Because given the degree of viral dynamics with BA five right now, as you and I are speaking, you’re in danger. So I wouldn’t wait. If you’re an otherwise healthy person, a young person, or even someone who’s a little bit older, but still very few if any any underlying conditions, I would wait because the chances if you’re vaccinated, but unboosted, of getting a severe illness is low. If you really want to get the updated booster of a BA.5, I would wait. And the third part of your question is, when it does become available, should you get it right away? Or should you wait? You know, one of the dangers Andy in waiting for an outbreak to occur is that by the time you know it’s occurred, you may be one of the vulnerable people that got infected. So if I had not been boosted, in, let’s say, the last six months or so, and it came out in the middle of September, I would probably get it right away, or try and coincide it with the influenza vaccine, tried to get them both at the same time.

The machine transcript is very poor. I gave it a one‐pass cleanup, but errors may remain.

Now, this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me unless these elderly people are offered a midwinter booster, but that’s Fauci’s view.

quote:

2) Googling shows that we don't really know how effective the BA4/5 boosters are. If they're a "dud", so to speak, are they at least going to be as good as the original vaccines?

That is the expectation. The boosters were made bivalent specifically so as not to be inferior in any way against non‐Omicron variants.

quote:

3) Should I get my second monkeypox dose on a different day than my covid booster? are there any dangers of back to back vaccines?

Waiting four weeks has been suggested by ACIP because there is the potential that both shots could carry myocarditis/pericarditis risks and they could compound, but the rate is low for the mRNA vaccines and entirely theoretically for Jynneos—it’s never been observed, simply assumed that it may happen because it does with smallpox vaccines of the first and second generation.

Those vaccines have very different side effect profiles as a whole. It’s possible that Jynneos, as a non‐replicating vaccine, doesn’t share their myocarditis/pericarditis risk at all, but on the other hand, the clinical trials were small and could not be expected to reveal myocarditis/pericarditis if they occurred at low rates.

https://doi.org/10.15585%2Fmmwr.mm7122e1 posted:

Clinical studies have not detected an increased risk for myopericarditis in recipients of JYNNEOS. Persons with underlying heart disease or three or more major cardiac risk factors should be counseled about the theoretical risk for myopericarditis following vaccination with JYNNEOS given the uncertain etiology of myopericarditis associated with replication-competent smallpox vaccines such as ACAM2000.

quote:

4) kinda a weird one - does a close call covid exposure re-up my immunity in any way? I was shoulder to shoulder with a guy in an enclosed room for 2 hours who was extremely positive and I somehow didn't catch covid. Did that event put my immune system on alert for next time, or does it not work that way unless I actually get infected/get a shot?

Maybe. People can get subclinical (or “inapparent”) infections that boost their antibody titers, which is how these infections are identified in the first place, but it’s not guaranteed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I’m really excited for this bespoke vaccine. It will remove the icky feeling I’ve been having about the original vaccine.

Gio fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 2, 2022

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

IIRC it's because in testing and trials it's only been tested as a series with at least two or the original COVID vaccines first. It hasn't been tested to be used as like, the two shots in an initial series of vaccination.

Nothing is stopping someone who is unvaccinated from getting it they just need to get two OG COVID shots first (which are still available).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mojo1701a posted:

The vaccines would've been way more popular if they were advertised as a performance enhancer.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

How long ago was this? Anecdotal, but I recently got covid and the incubation period must have been almost two weeks. My partner got it, and I was exposed heavily for days. After a week with no symptoms, I figured I was clear, but then another week passed and I developed symptoms. I spoke with some co-workers about it (we're teachers, so we've all gotten it at this point) and a few reported similar stories.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mojo1701a posted:

got me a monkeypox vaccine part 1

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

litany of gulps posted:

How long ago was this? Anecdotal, but I recently got covid and the incubation period must have been almost two weeks. My partner got it, and I was exposed heavily for days. After a week with no symptoms, I figured I was clear, but then another week passed and I developed symptoms. I spoke with some co-workers about it (we're teachers, so we've all gotten it at this point) and a few reported similar stories.

It's a bit surprising but your partner getting covid doesn't guarantee that you get it, the rate of household contacts getting it is something like 40% (not sure how those account for vaccines/prior covid). There's a possibility that you got covid from someone else and not from your partner.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the info on all this. Much appreciated.

litany of gulps posted:

About a month ago. Maybe 5 weeks?

I've had several of these events this year where I was around someone who ended up testing positive days later so either I have fantastic luck (doubtful, i have terrible luck) or either some really good genes or divine intervention or something.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You could have been asymptomatic the first time and then got some protection after that. Bodies are weird.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Do folks think it's a good idea to get the flu shot at the same time as this new omicron booster or to space them out (might be a bit early for flu shots)? I'm thinking of getting them both on this upcoming Tuesday since my polling place is near a CVS that has availability

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Do folks think it's a good idea to get the flu shot at the same time as this new omicron booster or to space them out (might be a bit early for flu shots)? I'm thinking of getting them both on this upcoming Tuesday since my polling place is near a CVS that has availability

My pharmacist talked me into getting a flu shot on the same day as my ‘rona booster last year so it’s probably safe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I get them at different times because I have sworn off getting shots in dominant arm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m getting both so that I don’t forget the flu one or just put it off until it’s too late.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

I get them at different times because I have sworn off getting shots in dominant arm.

You can do same arm for covid/flu but only if you enjoy your arm really hurting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt early/the 1st half of Sept. a bit "too early" to get the flu shot?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PhazonLink posted:

isnt early/the 1st half of Sept. a bit "too early" to get the flu shot?

I thought so too. Looking it up most of the advice online is "September or October" or "before the end of October" so it's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Our health dept is recommending it just suggesting one in each arm.