Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Serperoth posted:

There's an entire group of folks in New Vegas that talk like Elvis, but ONE person with an Irish accent is a bridge too far for that guy apparently

yeah but they dont let girls in so it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
It's possible Irish communities could retain their accent over time, although it would change and grow as they interacted with their neighbours more. Some dialects in countries once colonized by Europeans end up remaining closer to their older forms than the mother country, in terms of grammar, pronunciation or word choice, due to the isolation over time. Then again, a bunch of those end up splintering into even more subdialects and are generally agreed to sound like hot garbage to anyone from the old country. waves Newfoundlandishly

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

oldpainless posted:

Irish expats?

In my community?

They could be hiding in your tomato bushes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mx. posted:

yeah but they dont let girls in so it's ok

this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mtg is a person of gender and disallowed in the kiwi farms

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

I have Asperger's and therefore phrenology is real.

https://twitter.com/BadMedicalTakes/status/1562545532647575553?t=bN6EDtPtxxUliZVrtPdP_g&s=19

Also I'm pretty sure anyone who calls it Asperger's in 2022 definitely self diagnosed.

Forgive my ignorance, but what Twitter rules are discriminating against her? If she has an aversion to telling lies, how is that against Twitter?

Or is she a nutjob conspiracy person that thinks "Communist lizard people from Mars invented the vaccine to turn us all gay" is the gospel truth, and twitter will ban her for saying that?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"biological realism" tells me she hates trans people.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what Twitter rules are discriminating against her? If she has an aversion to telling lies, how is that against Twitter?

Or is she a nutjob conspiracy person that thinks "Communist lizard people from Mars invented the vaccine to turn us all gay" is the gospel truth, and twitter will ban her for saying that?
She's not allowed to be openly bigoted to trans people, op.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

She's not allowed to be openly bigoted to trans people, op.

That's worse than what I thought.

Both her reasoning, and the whole bullshit "you are the real bigot for calling me out on my bigotry" stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arivia posted:

For sure, I just wanted to point out that Obsidian did the worldbuilding to substantiate it and Bethesda didn't.

Irish people in Boston definitely requires worldbuilding to believe.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

"If they come for me, I'll sue"
ok, nobody is coming for you. Internet bird company may cease allowing you the privilege of using their services. But that's something different.

The initial post in outrage over the teacher, and how she was dressing had me a bit baffled, and remembering a quote from Lemmy, PBUH. He was talking about how things were different when he was a kid, and one could be "Thrown into paroxysms of joy at the sight of a well turned ankle"
Like SHOCK! HORROR! Would you just look at that scandalously short skirt! And in the classroom, no less.

The later analysis reveals more nuance.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I dunno how bad Europe got it in the Fallout universe, but it's perfectly plausible that people found or repaired boats capable of traversing the Atlantic. Hell, the Brotherhood has an airship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Right, but couldn’t an Irish expat community have also preserved their accent for generations, much as many Amish communities have done in the US? I mean, of all the implausible things in Fallout 4, that’s one of the less implausible.

I feel like postapocalyptic bostonions cultivating an aggressively affected irish accent is probably the most likely outcome, so cait should have been voiced by a non-irish person trying very hard to do an irish accent.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Lady Damascus as a teacher, sign me and any thing my cum creates, right the gently caress up.

They'll be pros at being introverted and know how to avoid bad situations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

drunk mutt posted:

Lady Damascus as a teacher, sign me and any thing my cum creates, right the gently caress up.

They'll be pros at being introverted and know how to avoid bad situations.

It's Dimitrescu
:goonsay:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

yea it's 100% "Oh I simply CAN'T lie so I HAD to call her a man, because biologically she IS, you can't be mad at me!!!!" trash

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

oldpainless posted:

Irish expats?

In my community?

more like old braghless

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Saagonsa posted:

There are a whole lot of people who were diagnosed with Aspergers as children and don't really keep up with things enough to know why it isn't being diagnosed as such anymore. It's not all that uncommon.

The idea that it makes you averse to lying though is absolutely insane, however.

Oh no, that part is actually true for a lot of people on the spectrum. I can't catch the body language that tells others you're lying to me, so I will fall for halfway convincing lies unless I get other information, like "This person has lied to me before, I probably shouldn't trust them.", or "I have heard this sort of thing before and it was a lie.". So I definitely don't like lying or being lied to. For a random example, if someone tries to convince people that hating trans people and misgendering them is a completely justifiable biological thing because of autism? That's a lie and I hate that.

(Seriously though, I dislike lying to the point where I have mastered the art of not-really-lying. I'll answer a question like "What book are you reading?" with "I recently bought *book that sounds more socially acceptable than current book*" or "I really like *author*." These statements are entirely true, but not related to the question I was asked. People rarely catch that or chalk it up to me being weird, so everybody's happy.)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I dunno how bad Europe got it in the Fallout universe, but it's perfectly plausible that people found or repaired boats capable of traversing the Atlantic. Hell, the Brotherhood has an airship.

The European Union Commonwealth tore itself apart during the Resource Wars before the bombs dropped, but otherwise we don't know much specifically. Tenpenny is actually a British man who crossed the Atlantic, which was supposed to show how bad off Britain is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
New Vegas has a woman with a New Zealand accent completely apropos of nothing, who was supposedly born in the American wasteland.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Oh gently caress, of course it's a trans thing. I was thinking it was a race thing

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Skwirl posted:

Oh gently caress, of course it's a trans thing. I was thinking it was a race thing

Porque no los dos?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Skwirl posted:

Could be both, the most racist, homophobic and transphobic person I've ever known used exactly that logic to justify it. She was also on the autistic spectrum and used that as a gotcha whenever you called her out on her poo poo.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

I know people who were diagnosed as Aspergers and still use the term as there's kinda a sentimental attachment to it.

Also, I've worked in schools for a looong time and I'm pretty drat sure that if I was found out to be posting pics of students while I was teaching on my personal Instagram, I'd have been hauled straight out and blacklisted. Although there are rules about which students can have photos taken and put in public, that's only for school things like newsletters. This is the UK though, not USA.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

moonmazed posted:

that poo poo is ai generated as hell. look at her feet

Buddy, you don’t need to tell me twice 👀

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

sugar mouse posted:

I know people who were diagnosed as Aspergers and still use the term as there's kinda a sentimental attachment to it.

Also, I've worked in schools for a looong time and I'm pretty drat sure that if I was found out to be posting pics of students while I was teaching on my personal Instagram, I'd have been hauled straight out and blacklisted. Although there are rules about which students can have photos taken and put in public, that's only for school things like newsletters. This is the UK though, not USA.

Japan also has VERY strict laws/rules about what information about our students we are legally allowed to disclose.

If I shared pictures of any of my students on my personal social media, I would be sacked in a second and my visa revoked. And the recruitment company that hired me/does all the foreigner wrangling would be in big trouble.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

sugar mouse posted:

Also, I've worked in schools for a looong time and I'm pretty drat sure that if I was found out to be posting pics of students while I was teaching on my personal Instagram, I'd have been hauled straight out and blacklisted.

When I worked in Australian schools there were very strict rules about use of personal social media accounts. Even for school-managed social media we had to carry out privacy impact assessments before going ahead. Even platforms like Compass and Seesaw that were designed to be used in schools needed parents to opt in. The rules were taken seriously enough by everyone that I only ever heard of one case of serious fuckery and the person involved got pretty much blackballed from the entire field.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bargearse posted:

Could be both, the most racist, homophobic and transphobic person I've ever known used exactly that logic to justify it. She was also on the autistic spectrum and used that as a gotcha whenever you called her out on her poo poo.
I know this one person that's trans (identifies as female) that virulently hates HATES drag queens that uses that their Autism to justify lovely behaviour :confused:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Mtg is a person of gender and disallowed in the kiwi farms

red deck wins, i guess

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Croccers posted:

I know this one person that's trans (identifies as female) that virulently hates HATES drag queens that uses that their Autism to justify lovely behaviour :confused:

Some people will hide behind anything if it means they don't have to change their behaviour.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

Irish expats?

In my community?
Centipaddies

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
anyone pointing to their autism to justify their bigotry is full of poo poo anyway because there's a correlation between autism and identifying as trans. maybe because we can recognise that gender policing is yet another illogical arbitrary social rule that people self-impose to make themselves and others miserable? or maybe because we are very good at noticing when things are uncomfortable, irritating, and ill-fitting and need to be disregarded?

"biological realism" lol. clearly gender isn't that idiot's special interest, if it were they'd know just how objectively wrong they are.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Twitter will never ever do anything meaningful to remove transphobia from its platform cos it's poggers for engagement innit. People need to just stop using that poo poo, myself included.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/_elizabethmay/status/1562711670035980289?s=21&t=JjLgUAtYGMVZxRS9_O_GMw

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I just loving hate when people like Newsom are considered being "on the left." Like, yeah he's to the left of DeSantis, but George W Bush is to the left of Hermann Göring.

Also discussing him is basically pointless because Gruesome Gavin’s bullshit will get him nowhere outside of California

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Also discussing him is basically pointless because Gruesome Gavin’s bullshit will get him nowhere outside of California

Your lips, God's ears.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

I feel like the rhyme of Gruesome Newsom works better than the alliteration.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Skwirl posted:

I don't think she's doing anything wrong but she's definitely going to affect what physical traits her students are into after puberty.

Yeah, those kids might grow up to be into T&A like a bunch of freaks!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/1562820837140742144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Not just saying the quiet part out loud, but SCREAMING it. :smith: