Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Nadeshiko? I almost always use her, she has really good emotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bilirubin posted:

also how much did you have to whale to get that character?

I think I've spent... $100, maybe $130 total on the game? Something like that. I don't actually have all that much from the gacha, I'm just a sucker for red pandas so I did however many pulls it took to get enough of whatever currency it is to direct purchase her.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you get about one free ten-pull a month if you do the five bucks a month and collect all the jade. I just save it all up until there's an event with a rate-up i want

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nighthand posted:

I think I've spent... $100, maybe $130 total on the game? Something like that. I don't actually have all that much from the gacha, I'm just a sucker for red pandas so I did however many pulls it took to get enough of whatever currency it is to direct purchase her.

Red pandas are cool and good and so is that character.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Relyssa posted:

Red pandas are cool and good and so is that character.

Her bond emotes are tops.

I use the panda scare a lot in the "chatty" rooms, and the angelic one is great for when you tsumo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whatever character I use has an emote that's just her looking absolutely miserably wasted surrounded by bottles of what I assume is alcohol and I use that a lot

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

SixteenShells posted:

you get about one free ten-pull a month if you do the five bucks a month and collect all the jade. I just save it all up until there's an event with a rate-up i want

I did this once and pulled Nadeshiko with the resulting jade. I suspect I will never buy it again now, although of course I realize that is what a lot of people say.

The $5/mo deal is by far the best one in the market, but it's also a really obvious psychological ploy to get you logging in and thinking about premium currency every day.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Zan was the first character I pulled and I love that he has two different "well gently caress me" emotes.

Small deal-in:

Large deal-in:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
large deal-in is only lore accurate with a sanbaiman hand next to it

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I spent a year on the Fortune Charm plan in Mahjong Soul to help motivate me to stick with it and to get some decorations to help me stand out from a sea of Mikis and Ichihimes. I haven't yet reached my goal of Master rank, and as my rank has increased, it seems like there's been a natural diversification in avatars and decorations. But overall, I think the investment worked according to plan, I'm satisfied with it.

As for the current Peerless Ichihime event, it sounds like I need to play more. I'm not so concerned with getting the tablecloth, but it would be nice to get a couple of spare summoning scrolls, and I'm only halfway there. This past week has been doldrums for my 4-player account, but I'm starting to get close to bringing my neglected 3-player account into Expert. It's been a good 'safety valve' for this event which emphasizes winning lots of hands. (And for some reason I don't really like the idea of playing in unranked. Not really sure why.)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Heath posted:

Whatever character I use has an emote that's just her looking absolutely miserably wasted surrounded by bottles of what I assume is alcohol and I use that a lot

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yes this one

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Japanese like to drink their energy drinks from silly little bottles like these.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Her bond emotes are tops.

I use the panda scare a lot in the "chatty" rooms, and the angelic one is great for when you tsumo.

The panda scare one just might be my favorite emote. It's extremely good.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Adept 2 in 3 player, its quite fun

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah I'm Adept 1 and it's real fun to jam games, go full aggro, and not care if I get hit for all my blood.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Seriously game? you're gonna do this to me? After all we've been through?

Time to start a losing streak I guess.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
"I have 30 minutes before I need to do a thing. I should have time for one 4-player east game while I wait"

*25 minutes later*

"Okay the game is on south-3 due to cavalcade of incrementally tinier Rons on previous rounds. But now I can finally go to 8-tile wait, at least 5-han Riichi that should end the game. Just let me discard this bambu 3.."

Ron! Green Dragon, 1 han, 1000 points.

Game goes to south 4.

Can someone tell me what I have done to displease the Demons of Mahjong?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I finally did it. Broke the streak at 50+ at least twice.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Looking to see if I have that is how I discovered there's an achievement for 3000 days of logging in. Will MahSoul be around in 8.2 years? Who knows!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Looking to see if I have that is how I discovered there's an achievement for 3000 days of logging in. Will MahSoul be around in 8.2 years? Who knows!

Dear god, I'm less than 200 days off of the 1000 one, and was under the impression that was the last one.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Relyssa posted:

Dear god, I'm less than 200 days off of the 1000 one, and was under the impression that was the last one.

I took a look cause i also thought it only went to 1,000 and while yes theres a 3,000 days its not needed for a title. As in, the cheevos are seperated by groups and if you complete all cheevos in certain groups you get a title. The 3,000 logins is in one of the groups with no title, for good reason.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

I took a look cause i also thought it only went to 1,000 and while yes theres a 3,000 days its not needed for a title. As in, the cheevos are seperated by groups and if you complete all cheevos in certain groups you get a title. The 3,000 logins is in one of the groups with no title, for good reason.

Oh thank christ, I was worried that getting that title would be basically impossible.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

just hit Adept 3 in sanma, not bad having just started playing this style like a week ago? Should get that table cloth tomorrow

Also got my first Sanbaiman today so :toot:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Do you ever just feel bad for what you do to people? This game ended in East 1 because I won every hand.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nighthand posted:

Do you ever just feel bad for what you do to people? This game ended in East 1 because I won every hand.

drat I have not murdered anyone quite like that but yes, when I click over to like the 4th repeat on my East deal I'm kind of hoping someone else sneaks in there

e. lol it wasn't even the dc'd cat you murdered either

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Never show mercy, and take advantage of those opportunities as much as you can. For you know that random chance is whimsical, and you'll eventually get a yakitori game where you can't even get into tenpai, much less win, to balance that lucky streak out.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've definitely had my share of games where I'm either never in tenpai or get it right before someone else wins, yeah. Just the, "well, I sure did get to watch this game happen around me" feeling.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Nighthand posted:

I've definitely had my share of games where I'm either never in tenpai or get it right before someone else wins, yeah. Just the, "well, I sure did get to watch this game happen around me" feeling.

Funniest thing is when you get second place in a game like that. Luigi gets second place by doing nothing.

I also got my first Sanbaiman. Praise Sanma. It was the first hand of the game, too.

Hraathgar fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 28, 2022

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Just had this nonsense of a hand and it made me wonder. Can you combine chiitoitsu with other yaku? If you build 7 pairs out of just honor tiles, is that counted as the "all honors" yakuman? Can you have chiitoitsu + half color or chiitoitsu + all honors and terminals?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hraathgar posted:

Just had this nonsense of a hand and it made me wonder. Can you combine chiitoitsu with other yaku? If you build 7 pairs out of just honor tiles, is that counted as the "all honors" yakuman? Can you have chiitoitsu + half color or chiitoitsu + all honors and terminals?

https://riichi.wiki/Chiitoitsu#Compatibility

(yes)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 28, 2022

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Hraathgar posted:

If you build 7 pairs out of just honor tiles, is that counted as the "all honors" yakuman?

Yes, there's even a house rule (local yaku) that counts it as the double yakuman Daichiisei/Great Seven Stars.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Yeah you can stack some of those yaku on chiitoi. Some of them are house ruled double yakuman. The compatibility chart is sad to look at: https://riichi.wiki/Chiitoitsu

Lmao too slow

Congrats on the lucky hand though!

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Thanks. It is unlikely that I will need this information, but it is fun to know. It seems that all honors chiitoitsu is called "Big Seven Stars". That's cool.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

SixteenShells posted:

Congrats on the lucky hand though!

It was a lucky hand. Unfortunately it was defeated by my eternal nemesis, the Tiny Ron.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hraathgar posted:

It was a lucky hand. Unfortunately it was defeated by my eternal nemesis, the Tiny Ron.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hraathgar posted:

Funniest thing is when you get second place in a game like that. Luigi gets second place by doing nothing.

I also got my first Sanbaiman. Praise Sanma. It was the first hand of the game, too.

what skin is that

meanwhile, final level before tablecloth, have died. Tile gods say no

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Bilirubin posted:

what skin is that

You can buy it from the store. Worth 800 tickets, which is 800 jade. I thought it was worth 4 spins.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hraathgar posted:

You can buy it from the store. Worth 800 tickets, which is 800 jade. I thought it was worth 4 spins.

its cool looking for sure

Finally got that table cloth so I can stop playing sanma for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

its cool looking for sure

Finally got that table cloth so I can stop playing sanma for a while.

And the table cloth is kinda busy and the contrast is doing in my eyes lol