Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tuition has gone up partly due to stupid spending by administration, but it's mainly due to states cutting their higher ed funding continuously for the last 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Hooboy, glad I never gave any money to my school after graduation

quote:

A guided snorkeling tour in Puerto Rico, a $20,000 bowling outing, tickets to Disney World and Broadway shows, and luxury hotels in Paris and London. Those are some of the items in the nearly $10 million in spending by the Rutgers University athletic department over the last five years. Reporters Jean Rimbach and Abbott Koloff of NorthJersey.com spent months poring through thousands of the university’s financial documents and used nearly 100 public records requests investigating the so-called cost of joining the Big Ten conference.

Their investigation revealed not just lavish spending, but that Rutgers athletics debt grew to more than $250 million — and the university stepped in to loan the department $84 million to help pull it out of the red, all while raising tuition and fees on students, furloughing workers and cutting other costs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

A Fancy Hat posted:

Seems pretty goddamn easy to get up to $150k if your family doesn't have any savings, if you run into some kind of financial emergency while attending school, or if you don't qualify for many scholarships.
I owed over $100,000 from my doctorate, since you have to agree not to hold any outside jobs while in classes/before starting your dissertation and that was three years of loans right there (edit: yes I am aware people no doubt did, but god drat it takes up a lot of time and my ex- would have left me even sooner if I had taken up the rest of my free time with a job). This is made funnier by the fact that I even had my tuition costs waived, so that was mostly rent, utilities, and grad-student-caliber food for three years.

I started right after the Public Service Loan Forgiveness plan was announced, so I figured things would be fine whether I was in academia or government. I did not anticipate how hard it might be for me one day to get a full-time job in either of those fields though! Still got about five years of repayment to go before (if the plan/America still exists) that would kick in.

Literally all Biden's move did for me personally was reduce my total back to how much I owed before interest raised it about $10,000 (due to how little I am repaying per my salaries).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I owed over $100,000 from my doctorate, since you have to agree not to hold any outside jobs while in classes/before starting your dissertation and that was three years of loans right there. This is made funnier by the fact that I even had my tuition costs waived, so that was mostly rent, utilities, and grad-student-caliber food for three years.

I started right after the Public Service Loan Forgiveness plan was announced, so I figured things would be fine whether I was in academia or government. I did not anticipate how hard it might be for me one day to get a full-time job in either of those fields though! Still got about five years of repayment to go before (if the plan/America still exists) that would kick in.

Literally all Biden's move did for me personally was reduce my total back to how much I owed before interest raised it about $10,000 (due to how little I am repaying per my salaries).

I have never regretted my decision to leave academia for manufacturing and continue to not regret that decision, regardless of how much money I make as a result as a history major

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

In contrast to the many, many mistakes I made in life, I am infinitely grateful that I did not go for a doctorate as many of my professors suggested. Mostly I chose not to go because I was sick of school and sick of living in poverty, but still....good choice, past me.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Veterinary school and dental school are some of the worst debt to income ratios. Looking it up now it looks like optometry is the worst.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Some of my classmates are like 300k in debt. I kept it lower by going in state for school but it's still ridiculous. Pls forgive me Biden you're my only hope

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dixville posted:

Veterinary school and dental school are some of the worst debt to income ratios. Looking it up now it looks like optometry is the worst.

Is this why American dentists operate like used car salesman?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I worked in a vet center in high school, one memory that really stood out was a doctor that was well into adulthood, prolly late 40’s/early 50’s, celebrated paying off their loans. Even as a teenager with fairly mediocre grasp on finances understood that was a bad look.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I had about 15k in moderate interest undergrad debt but then proceeded to be involved in the following classic mistakes

Went to grad school
Professor didn’t get grant money so he lost stipend funding and left the university
Took out 40,000 in loans to cover living costs and finish the degree
Graduate and turn down a job offer (lmao) to follow a girl to another city (LMAO)
Struggle to find stable work for a year and a half and coast off the loan money instead of using it to pay back half the loan

Balance was back to the original 55,000 after several years of dumping any bonus/windfall money into it. Since the payment freeze I’ve been diverting money into house funds. I’ll be eligible for the 20,000 reduction and a spot of dead parent money will push the student debt into the realm of a car payment I’ll be able to pay off within a few years.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Steve Jorbs posted:

I had about 15k in moderate interest undergrad debt but then proceeded to be involved in the following classic mistakes

Went to grad school
Professor didn’t get grant money so he lost stipend funding and left the university
Took out 40,000 in loans to cover living costs and finish the degree
Graduate and turn down a job offer (lmao) to follow a girl to another city (LMAO)
Struggle to find stable work for a year and a half and coast off the loan money instead of using it to pay back half the loan

Balance was back to the original 55,000 after several years of dumping any bonus/windfall money into it. Since the payment freeze I’ve been diverting money into house funds. I’ll be eligible for the 20,000 reduction and a spot of dead parent money will push the student debt into the realm of a car payment I’ll be able to pay off within a few years.

What do liberal arts grad students study, like the history of fingerpaints or something? Were you going to be an underwater basket weaving historical research assistant?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat, but why did you get $150k in debt over a degree? Like, how did you plan to pay it off? I know American tech/fin bros, plastic surgeons and lawyers can make obscene life changing amounts of money through a day job. Was that your plan?

My plan was to finally get a degree and get my life on a better track even if it meant carrying debt forever. I went back to school in 2011 and was already in my 40s, and over the next 6 years or so I knocked out an associate's, a bachelor's, and a master's. I had no savings, no scholarships, and was way too old and tired to try to work and go to school at the same time. Prior to going back to school my highest educational achievement was a GED in 1989. Maybe going into that kind of debt for education doesn't make sense to you, but it absolutely did to me.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Smugworth posted:

What do liberal arts grad students study, like the history of fingerpaints or something? Were you going to be an underwater basket weaving historical research assistant?

lmao

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i know a person with a ed.d and their dissertation was on student bathroom usage during the school day and its relationship to their stress levels.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i know a person with a ed.d and their dissertation was on student bathroom usage during the school day and its relationship to their stress levels.

That seems like an important topic. What did they discover? Was there a relationship?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think my student loan debt was like 15k suck it nerds

School doesnt matter just get a piece of paper and ride off into the sunset (of cube work till u die) oh also cancel student loan debt

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

we learn how to learn. this takes years and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Uncle Enzo posted:

That seems like an important topic. What did they discover? Was there a relationship?

its not an important topic but yes

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

its not an important topic but yes
It is, sorry you forget how it feels to be a 10-year-old who has to go to the bathroom badly and the teacher will not let you because someone else already went

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Smugworth posted:

idfk, my stemlord salary is the only reason I’m not completely underwater.

My wife is the smart one. She has two graduate degrees in English and we didn’t pay a lick for her to get them.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

2002: follow your dreams. you can be anything you want if you work hard.
2022: I heard there's a plumber shortage. have you thought about trade school?

omg even the dates

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
As an adult you can poo poo whenever you drat well please. Also everyone has calculators and nobody writes cursive.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Gutcruncher posted:

As an adult you can poo poo whenever you drat well please. Also everyone has calculators and nobody writes cursive.

Can confirm that as an adult I poo poo wherever the drat well I please. This has lost me a few friends, but were they really my friends if they couldn't handle my autonomy?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is, sorry you forget how it feels to be a 10-year-old who has to go to the bathroom badly and the teacher will not let you because someone else already went

i just don't think it takes a doctoral dissertation to figure out that you should just let kids go to the bathroom when they need to

but that's also not what it's about. it's just if more stressed students go to the bathroom often. which they do. To be fair at the school this person is a VP at it is the rule that kids go to the bathroom whenever they want and you can't tell them no, which is a good rule.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I got my dumb liberal arts degree and came out with around 40k in debt, but then I hit a weird luck lottery where I got hired in my field and will be squeezing in at juuuust under that 125k cap if they'll retro my payments. I would never go to art school again in a million years, though. I still can't believe it worked out.

As for what I learned, I learned to fake perspective because my eyes don't do that poo poo on their own.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i just don't think it takes a doctoral dissertation to figure out that you should just let kids go to the bathroom when they need to

but that's also not what it's about. it's just if more stressed students go to the bathroom often. which they do. To be fair at the school this person is a VP at it is the rule that kids go to the bathroom whenever they want and you can't tell them no, which is a good rule.

If it's so obvious why do teachers and schools have rules that say otherwise?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Because for a certain group of people in politics and education, exerting power over children is more important than helping them live happy and healthy lives

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

because lots of teachers and administrators are powertripping, neurotic assholes who think that controlling a student's every move down to when they can take a piss is even more important than their state test scores, which are obviously the most important thing.

just because I work within this bullshit school system doesn't mean I fuckin like it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tax spending on tax breaks for the mega wealthy, good
tax spending on forever foreign wars, good
tax spending on predatory loans targeted at 16 year olds that can't be expunged thru bankruptcy, only their own death or decades-long indentured servitude in a country where you're not legally trusted to buy alcohol until you're 21, bad

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

because lots of teachers and administrators are powertripping, neurotic assholes who think that controlling a student's every move down to when they can take a piss is even more important than their state test scores, which are obviously the most important thing.

just because I work within this bullshit school system doesn't mean I fuckin like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Not sure if Pink Floyd band members got liberal arts or STEM degrees but the message is still meaningful today

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Hooboy, glad I never gave any money to my school after graduation

The last time rutgers called asking for money i just started demanding money from them right away "hey man, i don't got a job. rutgers is loaded, i got bills. please. please" and that was like 7 years ago.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Smugworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Not sure if Pink Floyd band members got liberal arts or STEM degrees but the message is still meaningful today

Roger Waters met the other band members at architecture college apparently

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

beep by grandpa posted:

tax spending on tax breaks for the mega wealthy, good
tax spending on forever foreign wars, good
tax spending on predatory loans targeted at 16 year olds that can't be expunged thru bankruptcy, only their own death or decades-long indentured servitude in a country where you're not legally trusted to buy alcohol until you're 21, bad

This all tracks as well and good, yes

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
I went to school for archaeology but ended up in tech advertising so that was a whiplash and I couldn’t adequately explain to my then-interviewer-now-boss why I ended up here.

Would have absolutely gone the PhD route for archaeology but I networked enough in college to get a job as a student arch assistant and learned that the field wasn’t right for me.

If I could do college over again I’m not sure I’d do STEM instead for a variety of reasons. But having either 10k or 14.5k forgiven overnight is still some huge blessing I can’t fully believe is still happening.

FAFSA’s site is still down so who knows if I’m on the hook for the 4.5k. Also my credit history is going to take a hit because my loans were my first forms of credit and that’ll make my average account age get way younger. And also I guess I’m penalized for not having enough open credit accounts open (currently have 8, 6 of which are the fed loans). America really wants us playing with credit huh

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

buglord posted:

FAFSA’s site is still down so who knows if I’m on the hook for the 4.5k. Also my credit history is going to take a hit because my loans were my first forms of credit and that’ll make my average account age get way younger. And also I guess I’m penalized for not having enough open credit accounts open (currently have 8, 6 of which are the fed loans). America really wants us playing with credit huh

Yeah, I've been gaming my credit hard for the last couple years, and having so much student debt has the stupid silver lining of buying me at least a couple more years of having older accounts on my history. I've opened a couple secured credit cards and got an unsecured credit card and I pretty much just use them to set up autopays or otherwise have a buffer between online payments and my main accounts. Since late 2020 I've managed to increase my credit score over 100 points mostly just moving my own money around.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
id like to know how many people who are upset about poor/middle class kids getting their debt forgiven were in frats/sororities

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I for one plan to use my loan forgiveness cash on a few thousand of those Obama phones. I’ll be rich!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The whole argument that it's unfair to people who have paid off their debt is not only weird Boomery "I had to suffer so everyone else should" or populist "it only helps the elite who went to college" doesn't take into account how much damage it can cause having defaulted loans of any amount if you are trying to secure housing. The whole West Coast has been having a multi-year housing crisis, and poo poo like a few thousand dollars of defaulted student loans is one of the things that can make it harder to rent a place.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Anyway, joke’s on you Biden, I still have tremendous medical hahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The whole argument that it's unfair to people who have paid off their debt is not only weird Boomery "I had to suffer so everyone else should" or populist "it only helps the elite who went to college" doesn't take into account how much damage it can cause having defaulted loans of any amount if you are trying to secure housing. The whole West Coast has been having a multi-year housing crisis, and poo poo like a few thousand dollars of defaulted student loans is one of the things that can make it harder to rent a place.
Basically every right-wing argument is based on the tummyfeels they think all triggered libs base their opinions on

ALL I KNOW IS IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT