Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

as I understand gdpr, auth is a totally valid reason to retain phone number pii, and Twitter's waivers for monetization probably hold water.

however that's only the right to forget part of the equation;EU resident pii protection is the component that would create a significant liability here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

as I understand gdpr, auth is a totally valid reason to retain phone number pii, and Twitter's waivers for monetization probably hold water.

however that's only the right to forget part of the equation;EU resident pii protection is the component that would create a significant liability here

Acquiring phones are fine as long as they are used ONLY for the reasons the user consented for. Twitter asks the users for accessing their accounts, mfa and recovery purposes. If their employees accessed the numbers for anything but the original consent purposes the realm of violence they are getting into will make hellraiser looks like heidi.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BonHair posted:

Sounds like everyone in Twitter IT had access to change tweets by anyone.
This is hilarious to me, because they never implemented editable tweets, and it seems like they couldn't think of any way to do it except give everyone admin access? :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Turns out the whole platform runs on top of an open-source release of BlackBerry Messenger

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The relevant issue for GDPR is that this could negatively impact the lives of the users in a way they didn't consent to. If there's a risk of users getting their life ruined, that's a huge fine basically. And I'd say subtly editing pedophilia into your posts could do that...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BonHair posted:

The relevant issue for GDPR is that this could negatively impact the lives of the users in a way they didn't consent to. If there's a risk of users getting their life ruined, that's a huge fine basically. And I'd say subtly editing pedophilia into your posts could do that...

Slander via post editing is not covered by GDPR. Having the user mobile numbers easily accessible and possible to ship to third party is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/chrisrohlf/status/1562152113190354946

:jerkbag:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If Twitter stores any EU user's personal data in the USA, or gives access to any EU user's PII to anyone in the USA, they're noncompliant with GDPR anyhow.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

If Twitter stores any EU user's personal data in the USA, or gives access to any EU user's PII to anyone in the USA, they're noncompliant with GDPR anyhow.
Ehhh. That's lots of SaaS solutions. Most of them are now using standard contractual clauses and transfer impact assessments to fulfill their "due care" in light of Schrems 2 and just hoping for the best.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Diva Cupcake posted:

Ehhh. That's lots of SaaS solutions. Most of them are now using standard contractual clauses and transfer impact assessments to fulfill their "due care" in light of Schrems 2 and just hoping for the best.

Oh, yeah, agreed but it's building on shaky ground with the hope the EU folds on privacy because the USA simply utterly fails the equivalent protection requirement.

Ed: obviously you can magic a solution where all data stored in SaaS is encrypted before it leaves your control and you keep the keys. Also it's not like Azure is *cheap*.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes yes yes this is all well and good but how does this affect Elon Musk

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hopefully it damages both of them

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This could make prosecuting people for, say, inciting a violent insurrection via Twitter posts more difficult. "Prove beyond a reasonable doubt that none of several thousand Twitter employees modified my tweet. Also there are no logs."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

This could make prosecuting people for, say, inciting a violent insurrection via Twitter posts more difficult. "Prove beyond a reasonable doubt that none of several thousand Twitter employees modified my tweet. Also there are no logs."

You are not going to suggest blockchain for social media posting, are you?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

You are not going to suggest blockchain for social media posting, are you?

No, just logging in production and a limited ACL. Maybe distinct userids with lots of automated alarms if used for break-glass accounts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Also any logs can be accessed and changed by those same employees.

I think you can technically argue that phone numbers carry a low risk for the users, especially since it's semi public information. It wouldn't hold up in court, but you could argue it for a while.

But on the flipside, I think your opinions, which are expressed on Twitter, count as personal information, including sensitive if you tweeted about sexuality, politics or any of the other sensitive topics. I would argue that it could seriously harm at least public figures if they appeared to be on record as saying they supported pedophilia, or just something more innocent like worker's rights. Think of the backlash of right-wing nutjobs if some well known influencer was "outed" as being pro choice. Besides hurting their revenue from Patreon, it could lead to various more or less credible threats and harassment.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/alsutton/status/1562140431319810048

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Holy poo poo. Did they hand out SSL keys to root domains while they were at it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BonHair posted:

Also any logs can be accessed and changed by those same employees.

I think you can technically argue that phone numbers carry a low risk for the users, especially since it's semi public information. It wouldn't hold up in court, but you could argue it for a while.

But on the flipside, I think your opinions, which are expressed on Twitter, count as personal information, including sensitive if you tweeted about sexuality, politics or any of the other sensitive topics. I would argue that it could seriously harm at least public figures if they appeared to be on record as saying they supported pedophilia, or just something more innocent like worker's rights. Think of the backlash of right-wing nutjobs if some well known influencer was "outed" as being pro choice. Besides hurting their revenue from Patreon, it could lead to various more or less credible threats and harassment.

GDPR has been used for phone numbers with success with rather drastic fees but NOT for posting stuff. That's slander + hacking not GDPR.

GDPR is a sure fire way to get their rear end, slander + other stuff is likely a slap on the wrist.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 24, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean, I think the intent here is not to deflect criticism of the organization or the reality of the situation, but to emphasize that it's important we not start publicly hunting down folks who have the misfortune to have Twitter and Security in their bio on LinkedIn this week who are almost certainly prohibited from making any specific statements to defend themselves in the court of public opinion.

As we've seen repeatedly in this thread, sometimes your org just does stupid rear end poo poo despite your best efforts and you have to hold on till you either find a better paycheck or you die inside.

I agree it shouldn't need to be said, but anecdotally I work in fintech and I've straight up had people message me on LinkedIn when their money wasn't where they expected it to be or something, so I 100% don't trust people to be rational and to understand that "works for" doesn't mean "is solely responsible for every aspect of".

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

looks like plex got popped. they seem to be handling it well though

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Achmed Jones posted:

looks like plex got popped. they seem to be handling it well though

Yeah just got that email as well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yup.

Now the hackers have my list of futurama episodes :ohdear:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I think SANS has a 'how to handle your ransomware incident' course. Like seriously have a communications plan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rust Martialis posted:

I think SANS has a 'how to handle your ransomware incident' course. Like seriously have a communications plan.

Yup, and be transparent. It pays to be transparent and upfront. Even if you don't know the full impact yet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, and be transparent. It pays to be transparent and upfront. Even if you don't know the full impact yet.

Yep, if you hide stuff, it's either gonna be super obvious that you're hiding stuff or it's gonna be revealed by someone else. Or both. And you're gonna contradict yourself later.

Own up, shut down and start over.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would have liked it if, instead of requiring everyone to login and change passwords + invalidate logins, simply auto-invalidated all logins forcibly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I would have liked it if, instead of requiring everyone to login and change passwords + invalidate logins, simply auto-invalidated all logins forcibly.

Maybe plex access tokens won't react if the credentials are the same?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I use google to log into it, and as such this literally required no action from me, apparently

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol https://blog.lastpass.com/2022/08/notice-of-recent-security-incident/

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

lol another one

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

FAQ kind of fixates on the wrong thing (intentionally?). If you use a password manager, you should be prepared and semi-comfortable with the idea that someday somebody will get their hands on your encrypted vault. The real risk here with someone getting into their development environment is sneaking something nasty into the software/webpage/browser plugin that then gets pushed to you via auto updates or via the web interface.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rescue Toaster posted:

FAQ kind of fixates on the wrong thing (intentionally?). If you use a password manager, you should be prepared and semi-comfortable with the idea that someday somebody will get their hands on your encrypted vault. The real risk here with someone getting into their development environment is sneaking something nasty into the software/webpage/browser plugin that then gets pushed to you via auto updates or via the web interface.
or the vault not actually being tied to the master password as they led the users to believe and them having a way into it anyway

like the last breach where they claimed the same thing about no one getting access inside the vaults. meanwhile a researcher was disclosing to them that the vault can be breached, but let's not tie those events together

it's somewhere in my post history itt

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

or the vault not actually being tied to the master password as they led the users to believe and them having a way into it anyway

like the last breach where they claimed the same thing about no one getting access inside the vaults. meanwhile a researcher was disclosing to them that the vault can be breached, but let's not tie those events together

it's somewhere in my post history itt

Oh definitely, I don't consider lastpass trustworthy anyway. Frankly I don't have a lot of confidence in any of the cloud-based password managers that use your master password as the login to the website (all of the big ones). Though I seem to be in the minority about that. This exact scenario is the kind of thing where, oh somebody got into the build environment and maybe snuck something tiny into the webpage js for a couple months... there go all your master passwords.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://dawnproject.com/

Gotta love that tagline

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 26, 2022

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

If you have been able to produce software that never fails and can’t be hacked for the last 25 years why aren’t you a billionaire?

I am a billionaire, but my software has been mainly used by the military, and I have kept a low profile until now.

Wtf

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

So why are you now working on stopping cyberattacks on our infrastructure?

Because companies that don’t know how to make software that never fails and can’t be hacked use commercial software with millions of bugs and security defects to control and connect all the systems that our lives depend on into a gigantic interconnected “Internet of Dangerous Things” that enables hackers to kill us all with the click of a mouse.

i wanna be this guys friend. or maybe we're internet friends already, im like 85% sure he posts in yospos

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Re LastPass... I have a meeting about it in a couple of hours. We have a small department that uses it.

I plan to say: you do not need to change your passwords, and this was not An Incident on us (my company) at this point. However we should explore getting some other password management solution in the future that isn't lastpass because their reputation is just totally hosed at this point IMO.

Is this a good message? The main thing is I think someone in the meeting will suggest "let's change all the passwords" and I want to know if there's ANY reason to do that, because it doesn't sound like it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No it is not. If they're not trusted enough to remain your password solution after this incident, how can you have trust the PWs are secure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Good question. I think the reason is while I don't think our password db is compromised RIGHT NOW, the source code compromise could lead to bigger risks in the future as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. But maybe I'm thinking about this completely wrong.

Do you think the users should change all their passwords stored in lastpass? What's the bet advice to give to current lastpass customers?