Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
shut up about the catholic church already, we're here to talk about different rich pedophiles who people shouldn't support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

shut up about the catholic church already, we're here to talk about different rich pedophiles who people shouldn't support

Unfortunately Biden is technically Catholic so there is minor overlap.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

they were right to say it was a bad idea to vote a papist into office, only problem is they were wrong about why it was a bad idea.

democrats and catholics: two groups who should never be left unattended around children

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Americans adopting the worst Catholic values while hating Catholics is a storied history from the segregationist evangelicals adopting the pro-life banner to the Hayes Code to probably a bunch of other goofy poo poo I don’t know about too

e: it’s probably 100% an attempt to reconcile the asceticism of the Puritans whose hatefulness we do adore with the gilded cupidity of capitalism. hey Catholicism is gaudy! like a bizarre version of Oscar Wilde becoming Catholic because the pomp made it the gayest religion

eSports Chaebol has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Aug 25, 2022

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

eSports Chaebol posted:

Americans adopting the worst Catholic values while hating Catholics is a storied history from the segregationist evangelicals adopting the pro-life banner to the Hayes Code to probably a bunch of other goofy poo poo I don’t know about too

e: it’s probably 100% an attempt to reconcile the asceticism of the Puritans whose hatefulness we do adore with the gilded cupidity of capitalism. hey Catholicism is gaudy! like a bizarre version of Oscar Wilde becoming Catholic because the pomp made it the gayest religion

I mean plenty of this thread have re adopted the Puritan strain of conspiracy mongering papist plots now they just need to proclaim double predestination.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

"see, pope francis wants to end child abuse within the church someday but only for opus dei members therefore we should still support the mother church"

lmao some of y'all have no loving standards at all.
no I'm more of a

see, pope francis wants to make opus dei subject to the same rules as the rest of the church someday

and I sure as poo poo don't support the church, I just am willing to give him credit for this exact specific thing, even if no action has yet been taken so it ain't gonna be much credit there either

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean plenty of this thread have re adopted the Puritan strain of conspiracy mongering papist plots now they just need to proclaim double predestination.
have they?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I think the old style Papism fear is less popular now if only because it requires viewing politics as competition between groups with shared interests, and that sort of thinking is too materialistic to be considered mainstream any more

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Crowsbeak posted:

You get used to it in Canada where Protestant anti-Catholicism became “secular” in the 60’s and 70’s but it’s the same poo poo.

“The final strain of anti- Catholicism is largely emptied of ethnic, linguistic or theological hostility. It is still present in the mainstream and often centres on the alleged socio-cultural and sexual backwardness and distortedness of the Church in the modern world. This form is best characterized by Mark Massa who has dubbed the set of beliefs underlying it “social- scientific anti-Catholicism.” Anti-Catholicism in this sense is a process of “boundary- making” by non-Catholics, perceiving religion as being thoroughly privatized; yet Catholicism has consistently refused this conception of society and the rigid divide between public and private religion it entails into the twenty-first century. Therefore, while public culture in North America has often attempted to become or appear fully secularized, the Catholic Church had stubbornly continued to assert its authority over moral matters which it sees as natural, raising the ire of many within this public culture.”

“John Saddy of London, Ontario, perhaps best summarized this recent strain of anti-Catholicism when he appealed to the centuries-old stereotype of Catholic priests and officials as sexual perverts, a trope that is also contained in some of the rhetoric surrounding the recent revelations regarding the Church obfuscating the fact that a small group of priests were committing sexual assault and acts of pedophilia for decades around the world. Clearly, according to Saddy, anyone comfortable with their own sexuality would have no problem with same-sex marriage, something impossible for a celibate clergy engaged in systematic hypocrisy: “when the world’s largest employer of homosexuals and lesbians, the Roman Catholic Church, condemns gay weddings, it is the epitome of hypocrisy.” This writer confusingly seems to be equating joining the priesthood or becoming a nun with unprofessed homosexuality, a sweeping generalization which in itself castigates homosexuality as an abnormal development while simultaneously defending the rights of same-sex marriage. Celibacy, or homosexuality for that matter, simply did not fit into this correspondent’s vision of the modern world and anyone who chose it was clearly perplexed about their own, “natural,” sexuality. Philip Jenkins notes that the trope of the priesthood as refuge for the homosexual, interpreting this as evidence that the Catholic Church promoted depraved sexuality, was a prominent theme in sensationalistic nineteenth century anti-Catholic literature. When adapted to contemporary society this stereotype has become used to promote a defence of sexual pluralism while rebuking the hierarchy for hindering the “psychosexual development” of its clergy; the Church thus acted as a form of “institutionalized closet.”

- Anti-Catholicism and English Canadian Nationalism

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

the real irony is that now that the Supreme Court is vaguely as WASPy as America, that’s when Roe v Wade gets struck down

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Amy Coney Barrett is a crypto snake handler and the Pontiff has made major moves this year to rein in the Opus Dei. Given time, the SJ and OP will be able to clear out the factions PJP II empowered in the name of anti-Communism.

lol any day now

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, opus dei priests deserve to take part in the pedo shuffle just as much as the regular, rank-and-file clergy.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

even if no action has yet been taken

that's what's sticking me on this. democrats say they value a woman's bodily autonomy but if their actions do not reflect that stated value, then why even give them credit for lip service?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crowsbeak posted:

Nah I grew up in the church that's why I know it sucks and is just a big Ole cover for pedos.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

hmm
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1562882136046436352

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Frosted Flake posted:

You get used to it in Canada where Protestant anti-Catholicism became “secular” in the 60’s and 70’s but it’s the same poo poo.

“The final strain of anti- Catholicism is largely emptied of ethnic, linguistic or theological hostility. It is still present in the mainstream and often centres on the alleged socio-cultural and sexual backwardness and distortedness of the Church in the modern world. This form is best characterized by Mark Massa who has dubbed the set of beliefs underlying it “social- scientific anti-Catholicism.” Anti-Catholicism in this sense is a process of “boundary- making” by non-Catholics, perceiving religion as being thoroughly privatized; yet Catholicism has consistently refused this conception of society and the rigid divide between public and private religion it entails into the twenty-first century. Therefore, while public culture in North America has often attempted to become or appear fully secularized, the Catholic Church had stubbornly continued to assert its authority over moral matters which it sees as natural, raising the ire of many within this public culture.”

“John Saddy of London, Ontario, perhaps best summarized this recent strain of anti-Catholicism when he appealed to the centuries-old stereotype of Catholic priests and officials as sexual perverts, a trope that is also contained in some of the rhetoric surrounding the recent revelations regarding the Church obfuscating the fact that a small group of priests were committing sexual assault and acts of pedophilia for decades around the world. Clearly, according to Saddy, anyone comfortable with their own sexuality would have no problem with same-sex marriage, something impossible for a celibate clergy engaged in systematic hypocrisy: “when the world’s largest employer of homosexuals and lesbians, the Roman Catholic Church, condemns gay weddings, it is the epitome of hypocrisy.” This writer confusingly seems to be equating joining the priesthood or becoming a nun with unprofessed homosexuality, a sweeping generalization which in itself castigates homosexuality as an abnormal development while simultaneously defending the rights of same-sex marriage. Celibacy, or homosexuality for that matter, simply did not fit into this correspondent’s vision of the modern world and anyone who chose it was clearly perplexed about their own, “natural,” sexuality. Philip Jenkins notes that the trope of the priesthood as refuge for the homosexual, interpreting this as evidence that the Catholic Church promoted depraved sexuality, was a prominent theme in sensationalistic nineteenth century anti-Catholic literature. When adapted to contemporary society this stereotype has become used to promote a defence of sexual pluralism while rebuking the hierarchy for hindering the “psychosexual development” of its clergy; the Church thus acted as a form of “institutionalized closet.”

- Anti-Catholicism and English Canadian Nationalism
I think people don't like the Catholic Church because they've presided over and covered up innumerable sex crimes against children

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think people don't like the Catholic Church because they've presided over and covered up innumerable sex crimes against children

No, that was all done by the deep state crypto protestants. We have to trust the plan and be ready to strike when Donald Trump Pope Francis calls for the true Americans Catholics to rise up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

that's what's sticking me on this. democrats say they value a woman's bodily autonomy but if their actions do not reflect that stated value, then why even give them credit for lip service?
it feels like the equivalent of what Francis did for the Democrats and abortion would be a mostly-toothless executive order or something, right? like literally more than has been done. but you're not wrong also, so yeah.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think one problem is that "the vote" becomes the be-all-end-all horizon of political activity (liberalism) rather than just using it as one tool. it being the end-all is a talisman like you said, a magic charm for the liberals to cast away the evil. but i think if the choice is between a lion eating your face and a pause button to temporarily slow down the lion from eating your face, you should hit the pause button because that's still the rational thing to do in the circumstances even when everything you just said is true at the same time. also it doesn't take much effort.

yup, it's super easy to reward failure, not much effort involved at all

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
another rare biden admin W

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916200866267138

it's a whole thread

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Issuing correction on previous post of mine (all of them), you do, under these exact and unrepeatable circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1562911041226346499

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

ever wonder how many kids the dude who hears your confessions has hosed?

drat that’s dark lmao

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anyway, back to topic.

Anything that inspires this much unusual behavior in biden is... worrysome. I am very much concerned they're aware of something we aren't and they don't like it. There's some sort of shoe gonna drop.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/uhactually/status/1562862681891016704

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, back to topic.

Anything that inspires this much unusual behavior in biden is... worrysome. I am very much concerned they're aware of something we aren't and they don't like it. There's some sort of shoe gonna drop.

They realized there's an election in a little over 2 months that no person under 40 was planning on showing up to

And no it's still not enough

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the libs will enjoy blaming leftists for this humiliating defeat and i'll enjoy taking credit for it despite not really doing much of anything. it's win-win!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1562979933458030593

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the caesars looking for 2 mins at a brandon hair sniff montage going like whoah this guy is too sick for us

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1562952586981830657

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StratGoatCom posted:

i'll put $5 on "china cuts us off from the manufacturing base our leaders exported to them"

in the sense that he won't rise to acknowledge accolades because he shat himself and didn't want senators to know?

because, gently caress, i can certainly buy that.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Aug 26, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

glorified sect cum

I know you did

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Until recently, Opus Dei operated under the unique title of “Personal Prelature,” meaning that its entire global structure was its own separate Diocese headed by an appointed bishop. You don’t need to know much about Catholic hierarchy to realize that this ends up placing the OD on a more equal footing compared to any other religious order or diocesan priests and bishops (diocesans are those not affiliated with any order or congregation). Who gave the OD this special category? John Paul II.

Why was the OD given this heightened status? Because it’s a religious order made by and for wealthy and conservative Catholics. The other major Catholic congregation/order tailored to the wealthy are the Legionaries of Christ founded in 1941. They were implicated in child abuse. Who protected the Legionaries? PJP II.

The Opus Dei is a glorified sect cum secret society for the rich, powerful, and sexually repressed that demands strict obedience to itself, worded in just a way that it still reminds them that the actual Catholic Church and the Pope are above it.

It is the Pope who will put an end to it. Pope Francis issued a Motu Propio (Here) back on July 22nd by the name of Ad charisma tuendum, in which he officially demotes the Opus Dei from its privileged stature as an independent Prelature-Diocesis.

The head of the OD will no longer be a bishop, there will be a check on its hierarchical structure and, more importantly, they will now be held accountable, on a yearly basis, reporting to the Dicastery for the Clergy, the overseers of diocesan priests.

wow I can’t believe dan brown wrote all this lore

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Private Cumshoe posted:

how do you get from trans people to abortions I missed that one but democrats never fail to be idiots so I believe it

It comes from a belief that Democratic voters don't actually care about trans rights, so that fighting for trans rights will lose votes. Then the reduction in power causes a loss of rights for a group the Democrats are supposed to care about, women.

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, back to topic.

We don't know whether monkeypox can grow exponentially in a school environment, and so we'll be shoving every child in the country into a live-fire viral replication experiment. A worst-case scenario fills thousands of miniature coffins by November.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

"gee, there's been a lot of our ordained representatives being caught up in this sort of poo poo, you'd think we'd have better standards for who we allow to grant absolution but oh well can't prevent every crypto-protestant from forcibly sodimizing altar boys. the kingdom of god depends on their ability to do that unhampered."

nice meltdown

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's like the mythical good cop. even if an individual priest is a decent person, they'll still have to cover for their chomo peers. then they either stop being a decent person or stop being a priest. for cops, there is also the option to stop being alive (because their brothers in blue murder them).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, back to topic.

My theory is this this is hedge, after 2 years of doing nothing, they'll make some pitiful gestures like this to actual progressive policy, and claim it's on par with the new deal. After November is disappointing, it'll be their justification to never give us anything ever again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dems will find some way to gently caress up the loan forgiveness. my guess is that the application process will be almost completely non-functional.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dems will find some way to gently caress up the loan forgiveness. my guess is that the application process will be almost completely non-functional.
you have to pay the 10k in a lump sum to get it off your debt, and then they'll refund you

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It will be a trickle of payments/forgiveness that only occurs every month over the course of 10 years if the house and senate vote with a 2/3 majority to extend the next month's forgiveness program.
The forgiveness will be in the form of tax credits given to the bank if they choose to accept it, like landlords and covid rent relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

That is the worst thing I have ever seen. I genuinely want to crucify both who made that and who okayed that. Oh and whomever thinks being Caesar is bad.