Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
because that person made the mistake of reading the replies to the tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

because that person made the mistake of reading the replies to the tweet

It’s a thread, you kind of have to. Then the very first reply is one of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know if it is an intentional thing or not, but given how badly WB/D burned executives, talent, and production staff, you are going to have tons of people who are giving these kinds of stories and interviews with claims like this.

I understand that a lot of this had to happen because of the merger and having so many redundant positions/departments, but they literally handled it the worst way possible by suddenly slashing everything with no explanation, locking peoples' office doors and emailing them that they are let go, or straight up removing the Batgirl director's from the permissions list to access their own movie.

People are going to be pissed and want to go to the media about it and even if they are exaggerating or telling just one perspective, nobody is going to believe WB/D because of how badly they messed this up.

I hate to agree with Leon, but this appears to be the case from the article posted. A lot of the story comes from people fired for having now redundant positions and of course the company being bought is the one to receive staffing cuts. This is how mergers work.

From the article:

quote:

The layoffs have “amplified the lack of diversity at HBO,” another former executive told The Daily Beast. “HBO is the most homogenous part of this umbrella. Instead of trying to figure out how to integrate some of the [Max] executives into HBO, they just made this sweeping cut of three divisions: kids, family, and international. A lot of Black and brown people lost their jobs.”

The article even points out that the only part of HBO that was diverse was the Max part. Which again was now redundant with discovery having its own platform and creative whatever.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Have there already been a lot of jokes about Zaslav trying to return WB to AT&T and claiming it was broken when they got it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vintersorg posted:

Can you read? Where did I say they are fake? It's some assholes out there who make up a small minority of the fanbase. How many loving times does this thread have to be told not to judge an entire fandom based on a few assholes.

But noooo - only Snyder fans are toxic assholes.

Why do you always go to bat for snyderbros so loving hard my dude, and why do you seem to always take it so personally

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's pretty funny that if they had just released the movie it probably wouldn't have set the world on fire, but still would have made some money. It also would have scored some PR points with how the main lead and the directors are all POC.

Now they're losing more money and the publicity is getting worse and worse. They pretty much deserve it, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My uncle at WB said the movie melts your face like the ark of the covenant.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Addendum to the previous post reiterating the Snyderchat ban: if someone engages in Snyderchat, just keep calm and carry on. I don't want to cause too much collateral damage by probing people responding to Snyderchat, but the alternative is a Snyderchat feedback loop that keeps going and going, which is also not desirable.

--

On the topic of the Batgirl cancellation, I find the decision to shelve it weirder and weirder with every passing day. Like Codependent Poster said, I can't imagine a scenario in which a Batgirl film doesn't make at least a small profit even if it really is a tyre fire of a film. Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the cancellation had as much to do with the quality of the film as it does with racism on the part of the new Discovery leadership. People dismissed that at the time, but the more we hear about the current state of affairs at Discovery the more plausible it seems. Either way, it's a real shame.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1562934523297673221

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's not gonna be DC's Kevin Feige.

What they don't get is that Feige first and foremost was a giant Marvel comics nerd. The success came because of that, not because Feige had been in charge of big projects before.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"His role in the creative direction of the live action Aladdin brought him to this spot" kind of sounds like a they are punishing him out of context.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if they asked Greg Berlanti because he seems the obvious choice.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Glad they finally found a Feige in Unnameable director Geoff Johns Hamada Dan Lin.

Feige is extremely talented and there shouldn't be any doubt about that, but he also has the authority to use that talent to improve movies and make them cohere to some central ideas about Marvel and the characters. Will Lin have any authority while trying to manage a burning house?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knw-Hmo4GZE

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

StumblyWumbly posted:

Glad they finally found a Feige in Unnameable director Geoff Johns Hamada Dan Lin.
Lots of Dark Universe energy here

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Good luck to Lin, I guess. I wonder how much control he'll actually have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StumblyWumbly posted:

Feige is extremely talented and there shouldn't be any doubt about that, but he also has the authority to use that talent to improve movies and make them cohere to some central ideas about Marvel and the characters. Will Lin have any authority while trying to manage a burning house?

That is the real trick. Disney for all its faults has the sense to leave Feige alone and let him do his thing. WB-D doesn't seem so sensible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Disney even stepped in and gave Feige more control when Perlmutter was trying to mess with things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn't the story that Feige threatened to quit unless he didn't have to deal with Perlmutter anymore? I thought it was something like that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Isn't it kind of calling your shot early? Like, I've never been a PR exec but I'd wait until the guy's produced at least one big success before you're like "This is the guy who's gonna lead us for the next 20 years!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

well, good luck dude. one helluva mess to clean up

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When I was a kid in the 90’s, I called DC the WCW to Marvel’s WWF. I never expected DC to become 99 WCW.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I got interested and looked up what Dan Lin did before this and it's just a hodgepodge of projects. Compared that to Kevin Feige who's credits are literally just every loving Marvel movie pre MCU.

Not that I think Lin is going to fail or that he's bad at his job but the difference is stark. Feige has absolutely lived in comic movies his whole career. Lin's career is all over the place without a single comic movie in the list.

Again, I wish Lin luck but this feels like this is just another name for the meat grinder. I'd ask how they're so bad at this but it's hard getting any traction when your parent company is being sold every two years and the new buyer obviously demands immediate results.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't the story that Feige threatened to quit unless he didn't have to deal with Perlmutter anymore? I thought it was something like that.

Yeah, they had to split into Marvel Movies and Marvel TV to keep him around and relegated Perlmutter to TV. I think once Trump was elected and Perlmutter had his attention diverted, Feige made the move to tie them both back together and totally kick Perlmutter out of the whole process.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Who is/was in charge of the CWverse? gently caress it, put that person in charge of the DCEU.

Most of the CW shows were well-liked for at least a season or two, and they managed to tie them together pretty neatly. Couldn't hurt giving them the reins.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Open Marriage Night posted:

When I was a kid in the 90’s, I called DC the WCW to Marvel’s WWF. I never expected DC to become 99 WCW.

Oof thats harsh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

Who is/was in charge of the CWverse? gently caress it, put that person in charge of the DCEU.

Most of the CW shows were well-liked for at least a season or two, and they managed to tie them together pretty neatly. Couldn't hurt giving them the reins.

That is Greg Berlanti who broke some record a couple years ago of producer with the most projects on air at once or something like that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

I got interested and looked up what Dan Lin did before this and it's just a hodgepodge of projects. Compared that to Kevin Feige who's credits are literally just every loving Marvel movie pre MCU.

Not that I think Lin is going to fail or that he's bad at his job but the difference is stark. Feige has absolutely lived in comic movies his whole career. Lin's career is all over the place without a single comic movie in the list.

Are they good movies though? I think a healthy respect and love for the source material really helps in adapting these stories to screen, a 1 to 1 translation just won't work. Having someone who can keep the heart of the stories and characters in tact while making them work in a new medium is important. But even someone who isn't a comic fan, but knows how to make good movies could do a decent job. It might be another way to keep the DCEU from just being a ripoff of the MCU. I really do want the two franchises to be different. I want to like them both, but if DC is just more Marvel, except with characters I don't have decades of history with, meh.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1563195318060978178?t=HITVBS9gxEODdzkr8Ajfqw&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tweet is underselling his most important credit:

He was the lead director of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for 10 years.

Kind of an out of left field pick. Especially since they originally went with John Watts.

He's got an enormous amount of credits and decades of experience on big shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and Fargo. But, he's never directed a movie before. He's also apparently directing the next Star Trek sequel, so I guess Fantastic 4 will technically be the second movie he ever directed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Given the kind of shows he's worked on the last 10 years, does the lack of theatrical experience really matter that much? Hell, Ridley Scott did bread adverts and David Fincher did music videos before 'graduating' to cinema releases, as did a host of others. Compared to that, this guy seems relatively well placed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's amazing considering the number of times people have fan-casted the IASIP foursome for the FF.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Shakman’s a fantastic tv director, so I’m excited.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

i can hear the theme haha

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Shakman feels very Russo Bros, but in a good way. He knows comedy, he knows ensemble casts and he know serialized storytelling.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shakman’s a fantastic tv director, so I’m excited.

I have honestly not heard of him until today. Does he have a signature style? What distinguishes him as a fantastic TV director?

I feel like it can be hard to predict someone's style when they have a career like him. He has a ton of huge credits, but when you come in and do 6 episodes of Game of Thrones or 4 episodes of Mad Men, those shows have already pretty deeply set stylistic choices, so it can be hard to really pinpoint a specific director's impact.

Some of the MCU directors are very workmanlike and are just there to implement the writers/Feige vision competently, but others leave very clear stylistic marks (for better or worse) like Whedon, Waititi, Raimi, Watts, the Russos, Zhao, and Coogler.

Watts was originally going to do F4 and I can imagine a pretty clear mark he'd leave on it. I don't know about Shakman (not in a bad way, but I just literally don't know. I loved Mad Men and the first 6 seasons of GoT, but I couldn't really pick the episodes he did by just by watching them.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 26, 2022

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Ezra Miller meets with Warners leadership in a The Flash course correct.

quote:

According to sources, Miller vowed to seek help after learning that De Luca and Abdy were considering all options for Flash, including scrapping the $250 million movie if things devolved further with Miller. While the actor is said to not have minded the stream of bad headlines, they were spooked by the notion of the film getting canceled and jolted to take action. Says one source: “They care about The Flash. It’s one of their favorite characters to play.”

Details of the meeting were not revealed but it was the first time that Miller spoke with De Luca and Abdy, who took over running the film division at the beginning of July and inherited a DC slate of movies in various stages of post-production. The actor was apologetic and affirmed their commitment to both getting care and to the production.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have honestly not heard of him until today. Does he have a signature style? What distinguishes him as a fantastic TV director?

He came in late to Always Sunny (season 3), but he pretty much established how the show would be shot and directed from that point on. His episodes are among the best of the middle seasons and the creators themselves have recently attributed a lot of Sunny hitting its stride during those seasons to his direction.

Also this:

live with fruit posted:

Shakman feels very Russo Bros, but in a good way. He knows comedy, he knows ensemble casts and he know serialized storytelling.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lobok posted:

I feel like whoever wrote that headline was a fan of a certain Warner Bros. cartoon.

Come join the Batgirl family! See the movie that was shot
Secret Batgirl Screenings Hit the Warner Bros. Lot
It's locked up in the vault now (the studio was bought)
If it gets loose then get the noose, our write-off was for naught!
You're getting no credit for this and that is an injustice I will not let continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He directed the rum ham episode, nothing else needs to be said.