Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: We flash back to God's younger days with his father Dariusz, who, big surprise, was an abusive drunk! Dariusz tells God to sell his woman dress actually his dead mother's dress for liquor money! God leaves his father lying in bed in a drunken stupor to seek out a Chinese apothecary to purchase drugs instead!

Read right to left:

very mysterious...

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Should have stayed stupid, smartos!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That was an all timer of an update, Mind Muggers is a good arc.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Graveyard Quest
Part 5.1

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

You and ultrafilter both having a Ronnie avatar made me very confused here for a moment :D

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tree Bucket posted:

Another drawing challenge! Poster avs in the style of the comics they post.
Other amateurs should give this a go; it's helping me un-learn a lot of bad drawing habits. Like, Hell Was Full and Graveyard Quest break all sorts of "rules" about proportions, but are both incredibly expressive.

Ah man, i don't keep up with the thread for a few days and I miss you posting. This rules

probably going to go ahead and vincent this poo poo up and get me a new avatar

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I always wanted to do this edit ever since the first time I saw Wang Chen

right to left:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hempuli posted:

You and ultrafilter both having a Ronnie avatar made me very confused here for a moment :D

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is SSSS not being posted here any more? Fine if not, I'll just go and read it. It just feels like it's been a while

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

(snip)

Mind Muggers 24

Political commentary a lá Trixie :pseudo:

Talking character deaths: 15 (+2 headlings)
Deaths altogether: 51+ (+2 headlings, +6 mind muggers)
Dead vice presidents: 3
Minds mugged: 5 (+1 Trixie, +1 mystery person since we hadn't seen him before)

Yeah, the way they're just unceremoniously devoured is unfortunate :(

I love how abrupt this ending this. Do you think Trixie was planning it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I hope little gold belly elf guy sticks around

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the last panel gets me every time, I find myself thinking of it at random times whenever the word "starvation" comes up

Yeah, it's an incredible line.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Antitonic posted:

I sometimes get the feeling to post El Goonish Shive on here, because it is a comic I enjoy, but there’s already a few longform comics being posted already, and the start is pretty rough. I’d also have to guess at the ideal pacing and all.

There's several approaches to pacing you could take, but the most important thing would be to make sure to include the commentary. The things Dan hosed up early on are a lot less glaring when paired with the "wow, this was bad, wasn't it?" author comments.

He did manage to do a lot to recontextualize them in surprisingly decent ways, but the early strips are kind of harsh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I would prefer if fetish comics didn't get posted.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

It's not a fetish comic, unless you believe that being trans is a fetish.

That's kind of the big problem with EGS, though, at least if you're going to start from the beginning - the early comic is very much just a teenager writing what they want to write so it's got some pretty horny energy even without assuming that anyone writing about boys becoming girls is getting off on it. And it took a good decade or so for the comic to really get serious about the themes it's actually about; you can see the gear shift where the author actually discovers there's words for all these feelings they've been putting on the page and from then on everyone is very aware about how exactly their gender and sexuality defined.

I wouldn't post it, personally, just because it's so long - it's been going for twenty years, three pages a week for most of that, it doesn't reach its height until a good halfway through and even from that point it's built on lore that got established in all the earlier arcs. I love the comic but it's a very difficult one to recommend to anyone that didn't get into it back when standards were lower.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
early 00s Gender Bender webcomics generally came in two genres that would've been hard to distinguish at the time (with many of the creators of the two different types end up being varying levels of buddy-buddy with each other): comics by people with trans feelings whose only cultural vocabulary they would've had at the time being stuff like Ranma 1/2, and stuff that is legit the author's fetish

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doing some napkin math, if you post a year of comics each week, you could finish or catch up in just 20 weeks or five months. It's doable

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tunicate posted:

I like whomp though

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Doing some napkin math, if you post a year of comics each week, you could finish or catch up in just 20 weeks or five months. It's doable

Hmmm and how many comics per year are we talkin?

*takes biiiig sip of drink*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ikanreed posted:

I like whomp though

:hmmyes:
:fart:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Emzedoh posted:

I love how abrupt this ending this. Do you think Trixie was planning it?

I worry that this foreshadowing some sort of Trixie-Audrey death match towards the end of the story due to Trixie levying a sin tax on beer or something.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Pervis living the dream

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
The thread raises good points. I’ll continue to not post it, but now at least I have the understanding of why it’s not likely a good idea. Sometimes it’s hard to see things from an outside perspective. (Also, forgot it was quite so long. Being invested is a little blinding in its way.)

Cheers for the feedback, and I look forward to enjoying the current runs of comics getting posted with everyone.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

sinburger posted:

I worry that this foreshadowing some sort of Trixie-Audrey death match towards the end of the story due to Trixie levying a sin tax on beer or something.

That seems pretty plausible. Be interesting to see which way Lyndon and Klara jump in that scenario. Probably a swap of the original pairs?

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I think you know what kind of Monday it is.

Don't let them fool ya, or even try to school ya! Oh, no!

Todd became fat in prison.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Todd became fat

iiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn jaaaaaaiiiiiiillllllllllll

Will never get that 'where in the world is Carmen sandiego' sound clip out of my head

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

New format, somewhere in between a manwha and a western comic.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Aug 26, 2022

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh no, ulterior motives! Sort of! Also check out poor Pakiri and Yasmidia hanging out with that accented thief from Team Spelt in the first page of this update.

Bonus pages:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

I hereby declare tomorrow gently caress you friday, so take it out for a spin

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just you wait!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[pretending to check my watch] Oh drat looks like it's comics o'clock!! Time for some Hell was Full!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe reading a bit much into it but pretty lol that the mind muggers end up having a conflict over resource distribution that ends in mutual destruction. Also that they're literal parasites who rely on the mental labour of beings they've enslaved and immediately dispose of the moment they're redundant.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BasicLich posted:

gently caress you, I won't.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

BasicLich posted:

Might be a bit awkward to explain when tomorrow is Saturday, but I’ll try anything once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mind landlords

forming
194-198

tfw you've definitely transcended ego

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe reading a bit much into it but pretty lol that the mind muggers end up having a conflict over resource distribution that ends in mutual destruction. Also that they're literal parasites who rely on the mental labour of beings they've enslaved and immediately dispose of the moment they're redundant.

To me it seemed like a fairly effective (if somewhat pyrrhic) compact display of collective action - the end result was mutual destruction because Audrey is such a massively skilled warrior, but it effectively informed the current powers that dictatorship won't be tolerated and that their presumed subordinates are ready to fight for that. In a larger community it could've been a very effective message (discounting all the oddities mind-muggery would introduce to the equation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hempuli posted:

To me it seemed like a fairly effective (if somewhat pyrrhic) compact display of collective action - the end result was mutual destruction because Audrey is such a massively skilled warrior, but it effectively informed the current powers that dictatorship won't be tolerated and that their presumed subordinates are ready to fight for that. In a larger community it could've been a very effective message (discounting all the oddities mind-muggery would introduce to the equation).

Kinda depends on how the mind muggers work; they have the personalities and knowledge of the humans they've captured, but not the context or apparently the sense to properly apply it. After all that they might have been better off with the headlings, who seem less intelligent than humans but already had a more stable social structure. The kind of larger social structures human politics are built around don't translate directly to a small family-sized group.