Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've never heard the word "race" applied to non-humans or non-sapient fantasy creatures in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I saw a horse race once

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, the only time I've heard "dog" and "race" together it's been about dogs racing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why do they have to be greyhounds anyhow? Why aren't the whitehounds out there running?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Try putting "dog breed" into google translate for French, German, nordic languages, Spanish (etc?) for a surprise

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Spanish uses raza both for human racial backgrounds and to talk about dog breeds. Considering the Spanish arguably invented racism, that's a fair cop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Baron von Eevl posted:

that's a fair cop.

No such thing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Try putting "dog breed" into google translate for French, German, nordic languages, Spanish (etc?) for a surprise

Now hang on, you never said this would involve other languages.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
On the other hand Americans call people from other countries "aliens" so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I just now realized that since Americans say dog breeds and not dog races, you might've been missing a key part to why other people get so upset about using the word race for people.

What? That's not an American thing (I'm Australian). Never in my life have I ever even seen someone refer to dog breeds as "races" until your post. Are you a native English speaker?

A "dog race" is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_racing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Captain Splendid posted:

On the other hand Americans call people from other countries "aliens" so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Space is just another country imo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Wait but when I go see a dog race it's nothing but greyhounds. Am I missing something?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What? That's not an American thing (I'm Australian). Never in my life have I ever even seen someone refer to dog breeds as "races" until your post. Are you a native English speaker?

A "dog race" is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_racing

Sure, make it native English speakers. I focused on america since, ya know, "place where they commonly talk about people being different races".
Of course I'm extremely esl and everyday my english is getting worse with no end in sight. Woe and ashes, we shall be payed.

Sooo... fun fact: a subset of 2nd language speakers have our impressions of the word "race" fundamentally coloured by how that word is used in our languages, ie exclusively(?) to dog breeds and by-and-for dog breeders. And by the kind of locals who then also apply it to people.

And that enormity of difference between the languages hit me with some force earlier

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are you arguing that there are languages that use their local word for race to refer to dog breeds but not human racial backgrounds? It would seem then that the local word is for "dog breeds" and not "race."

I understand languages some languages, for example Spanish, use the same word for both, but it seems like you're saying something else.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I hope it's not a surprise that our languages did use the word in the same way as the spanish right up until about 1945 right? E. Also that local racist still use it that way and that's how the interpretation gets perpetuated.

Look, I'm saying that a number of people who has English as a learned second language always do a double take whenever we hear or see a native English speaker use that word, and that I had a sudden realisation that we have wildly different associations as to what that word, with different but unmistakably similar spellings and pronounciations, represents. And how it had been staring me in the face for decades.

The subconcious unease with the apperently universal racism from English speakers talking about people as different dog breeds. The unthinking false equivalence of one word that doesn't actually carry the same associations across european languages. The sudden realisation. The aha-moment. That's what I'm talking about. I can't believe I only just now figured that out.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Aug 26, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Sure, make it native English speakers. I focused on america since, ya know, "place where they commonly talk about people being different races".
Of course I'm extremely esl and everyday my english is getting worse with no end in sight. Woe and ashes, we shall be payed.

Sooo... fun fact: a subset of 2nd language speakers have our impressions of the word "race" fundamentally coloured by how that word is used in our languages, ie exclusively(?) to dog breeds and by-and-for dog breeders. And by the kind of locals who then also apply it to people.

And that enormity of difference between the languages hit me with some force earlier

Oh, gotcha. Whew, I thought I was going nuts/had a weird Americanised dialect without realising.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Do you think only Americans refer to races? Because you'll be in for a surprise if you look up just about any other country in the world.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In English, there is the (still lingering, scientifically discredited and biologically meaningless) concept of different "races" of humans, as in Black people and white people and Asian people being different "races". But not different "breeds" of human.

Anglophones also would not say that labradors and German shepherds are "races" of dogs, they would always say they're different "breeds".

The two words are not at all interchangeable in common usage, excluding some enormously racist person deliberately saying "breed". And, for that matter, the word in English is "racism" rather than "breedism".

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

The two words are not at all interchangeable in common usage, excluding some enormously racist person deliberately saying "breed".
The racist descriptor "half-breed" comes to mind.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life

In that context, "race" means "species" (as in "the human race"). Though it did discuss the developments of what is essentially breeds into seperate species

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Columbo is great!

I mean, I've heard that before, but I finally experienced it myself by watching three episodes in a row.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The biggest twist in the entire show for me was the director of the third one/first TV episode.
I noticed the direction was amazing, and I just couldn't believe this TV show had that caliber of production. No wonder people love it! I'm not exactly a stident of film so it had to be pretty good for me to actively notice.
It was, of course, directed by a young Steven Spielberg.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

In that context, "race" means "species" (as in "the human race"). Though it did discuss the developments of what is essentially breeds into seperate species

Yep! Just wasn't to give an example

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Scarodactyl posted:

The biggest twist in the entire show for me was the director of the third one/first TV episode.
I noticed the direction was amazing, and I just couldn't believe this TV show had that caliber of production. No wonder people love it! I'm not exactly a stident of film so it had to be pretty good for me to actively notice.
It was, of course, directed by a young Steven Spielberg.

There's a really great episode a little later where Fisher Stevens effectively plays Steven Spielberg, no-good murderer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I hadn't really thought about it, but Danish also only uses "race" about animals, at least since WW2. Ethnicity is the current term for thinly veiled racism. (we do use the word racism)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Generally in English, at least in American English, "race" implies a set of biological differences that can be easily ascertained by things like skin color, hair color/texture, and the ways certain soft tissues in the face are formed, while "ethnicity" refers to cultural elements. Race as an idea really only dates back a few hundred years, things like how the Spanish thought of native people in the Americas and how the English thought of the Irish. They believed there were definite biological differences between themselves and this other group that made the other less than human. Ethnicity would be like how ancient Romans believed themselves superior to other cultures. They didn't think there was a fundamental biological difference between a Roman and someone else, but they thought their culture was inherently superior. You could be born a Roman or you could learn to become one, but the English thought an Irishman could never be human.

Ethnicity is a social construct of course, while race is just plain made up. Racists believe "race" is a real thing, whether or not they hold animosity towards "other races" or think of themselves as superior, they ultimately believe they are fundamentally biologically different.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't figure it out but

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Ice Cube was living at home then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron von Eevl posted:

Generally in English, at least in American English, "race" implies a set of biological differences that can be easily ascertained by things like skin color, hair color/texture, and the ways certain soft tissues in the face are formed, while "ethnicity" refers to cultural elements. Race as an idea really only dates back a few hundred years, things like how the Spanish thought of native people in the Americas and how the English thought of the Irish. They believed there were definite biological differences between themselves and this other group that made the other less than human. Ethnicity would be like how ancient Romans believed themselves superior to other cultures. They didn't think there was a fundamental biological difference between a Roman and someone else, but they thought their culture was inherently superior. You could be born a Roman or you could learn to become one, but the English thought an Irishman could never be human.

Ethnicity is a social construct of course, while race is just plain made up. Racists believe "race" is a real thing, whether or not they hold animosity towards "other races" or think of themselves as superior, they ultimately believe they are fundamentally biologically different.

good post, just to add: people are unironically talking about third & fourth generation "ethnic danes" (which obviously means brown/black danes, but shush) :shepface:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Aug 26, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why would you worry about the ethnicity of a dog

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Because they wouldn't be pure in their breed unless you make sure. Purebred if you will. Or Cleanrace in Swedish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Spending countless hours of debate to determine if the taco bell chihuahua is racist or just annoying.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Beepers have been commercially available since the early 70s. And were niche, but definitely something most people could recognize by the late 80s.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

So has your mom.

Sorry. Just kidding

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbf it took me a while to recognize their mom as well

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Yep! Just wasn't to give an example

Oh, sorry! For some reason I thought it was supposed to be a counterexample.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

No worries

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because they wouldn't be pure in their breed unless you make sure. Purebred if you will. Or Cleanrace in Swedish.
Maybe it would help if you actually posted the words you're talking about, and your native language? I'm gonna try because I'm German and it should be about 1:1.

Dog breed = Hunderasse

Humans arbitrarily divided by phenotype, by racists = Menschen verschiedener Rasse (humans of different race). See also "Herrenrasse". Obviously, not en vogue to say since 1945

Racism = Rassismus (still in use, referring to the above)

Current PC way in Germany to refer to people of different phenotypes: various euphemisms like "born to Arabian parents", "biologically German" (<- racists love this one), "of Syrian descent"

So, the initial issue was you being confused because Swedes (presumably) only ever use "race/Rasse/the Swedish word with the same root" for animals, while English uses the word for humans still, but usually it's in a racist context anyway, so it's a wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Well then, thank you for posting that clarification to what was confusing to some, since I didn't.

The entire point;
words have emotional associations. While technically knowing a language for decades, I personally had an unanalysed bias to what I associated the word race (tr. ras) with, and had never actively thought about how that link doesn't exist in English. I know other europeans have the same association from experience, and at times it unknowingly affects discussions with native English speakers. I thought it was interesting.
Is there anything left that's unclear? I hope not.