Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mercury_Storm posted:

They were supposed to be Klan members in the Japanese version: https://earthbound.fandom.com/wiki/Happy_Happyism

Your link just says that the localizer thought they looked too much like the Klan and made changes. It says nothing about what they were "supposed" to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mercury_Storm posted:

But it's possible that the US game's cult is still based on Happy Science as according to Wikipedia there was even a Happy Science branch in the US in 1994, the cult was formed in 1986, and the US game came out in 1995.

Funny part is there's a Happy Science office just a couple blocks down from my office.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

happy science offices are the wildest tackiest poo poo ever

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Clarste posted:

Your link just says that the localizer thought they looked too much like the Klan and made changes. It says nothing about what they were "supposed" to be.

Ah I had though they had white outfits in the original version too for some reason, nevermind

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 26, 2022

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There's a Happy Science University over in backwoods Chiba, too. I stumbled across it when taking my brother for a drive.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And they said crime doesn't pay https://twitter.com/RihitoPhysicist/status/1562778830242480130

It's going to be fascinating to see how the criminal justice system treats him. As I recall the death penalty for even planned murder is relatively rare unless it's mass murder. Does someone with better knowledge of the legal system know what a more likely sentence would be? The best comparison would have been to Yamaguchi Otoya but he took his own life before he could be sentenced, plus was a minor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The obvious answer would be that he's going to be Japan's most beloved life prisoner.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The important question is “is he barred from public office”.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What manga do you send to the person who shot Abe?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

stephenthinkpad posted:

What manga do you send to the person who shot Abe?

Easy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tesseraction posted:

And they said crime doesn't pay https://twitter.com/RihitoPhysicist/status/1562778830242480130

It's going to be fascinating to see how the criminal justice system treats him. As I recall the death penalty for even planned murder is relatively rare unless it's mass murder. Does someone with better knowledge of the legal system know what a more likely sentence would be? The best comparison would have been to Yamaguchi Otoya but he took his own life before he could be sentenced, plus was a minor.

I knew Japan has an inherent distrust of organized religion, but I didn't know it ran this deep.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lammasu posted:

I knew Japan has an inherent distrust of organized religion, but I didn't know it ran this deep.

I mean, there's "organized religion" in the abstract and there's NRMs. And the NRM in question being Korean probably doesn't help.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Darth Walrus posted:

The obvious answer would be that he's going to be Japan's most beloved life prisoner.

Give him a livestream and let him enter mail-order sweepstakes. But please let him keep the clothes this time.

Lammasu posted:

I mean, the last new-age religious movement they had decided to use nerve gas in a subway so I imagine that people are kinda stand-offish when people start talking about prophets and doomsday.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Most people don't want a state funeral for Abe either.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's pretty baller.

Shame he's very much going to be hanged no matter what

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not so sure. They have to be feeling pretty wary of making him a martyr. Japanese culture doesn't exactly demonize underdogs who rise up against leaders.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I mean, there's "organized religion" in the abstract and there's NRMs. And the NRM in question being Korean probably doesn't help.

It doesn’t really matter that it’s Korean, it matters that they are so well-known to take donations that there’s an entire legal support network. And it matters that (to the LDP) they were philosophically aligned and provided cheap labor and regular votes for elections.

(So the Netto-uyoku probably cared more about them being a right wing group than anything else :v: )

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1564819873141760000

direct action gets the goods

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

now cancel the funeral, bitch

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Fix It posted:

now cancel the funeral, bitch

They are throwing the funeral bash because the American daddy told them to.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"cut ties"

Money will still flow from the church to the LDP as usual

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I guess the lesson is if you want to bring about political change assassinate a prominent politician?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lammasu posted:

So I guess the lesson is if you want to bring about political change assassinate a prominent politician?

I mean, Gavrilo Princip's dream of an independent Serbia was realized as a fairly direct result of his actions. Worked out pretty well (in the short term) for Japanese militarists in the 30's who wanted a more aggressive foreign policy too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remains to be seen whether cutting ties with the Church actually means anything, and if so, what happens after. I imagine there'll be a lot of sudden drops of blackmail material.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of unclear what the Unification church is getting out of it. Korean/Japanese relations still suck.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah I'm not sure "cutting ties" actually means cutting ties. Considering that the new cabinet formed to clean up ties was infested with UC ties, I don't put a lot of faith in the LDPs ability to cut ties with one of their core shareholders.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

stephenthinkpad posted:

We did?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of unclear what the Unification church is getting out of it. Korean/Japanese relations still suck.

Do they care about that? Seems like they just want to push a general conservative agenda.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lammasu posted:

UC is extremely anti-NK and anti-communist. They want a re-armed Japan because that is what they perceive as the best shot at destroying NK. A lot of the LDPs foreign policy aligns perfectly with positions of the UC.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

That really doesn’t matter. The Moonies get to continue operating in Japan, which is a major source of members and funds. The LDP (especially in Abe’s first term) partially shielded the Moonies from lawsuits and action to recover money “donated” in pretty spurious fashions. As well, as mentioned, they’re a strongly conservative group and hate communism more than want to drag up old imperial feuds, and North Korea is the real target.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nah, like all things in Japan, it’s to the benefit of Dentsu.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lammasu posted:

japanese right-wing and korean right-wing get along just fine behind all the posturing

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
As I recall Japan is like 3% Christian. Are most of those UC?

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
It’s less than that. But no, what Christians there are are split among all the major denominations. Jehovahs Witness & Mormons both have done alright there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lammasu posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_r%C5%8Dnin

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mr. Fix It posted:

japanese right-wing and korean right-wing get along just fine behind all the posturing

It's this, plus anti-communism. Kishi and Moon both hated China and NK, and got a lot of funding for providing cover to crack down on communists. It's pretty much how Showa no Yokai avoided a prison sentence, along with support from the U.S.

The Red Scare was a hell of a drug, and it made them a lot of money and power with fledgling governments, which they rooted deep as soon as they could. Kishi used it to solidify his hold in the LDP even after his ouster, and Moon used it to spread his religion, recruit overseas, support pseudo-dictators in South Korea, try to defend Richard Nixon, and even fund actual loving death squads through the World Anti-Communist League in South America.

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

Lammasu posted:

It really is curious that there's this constant association between Korea and the assassination of Japanese prime ministers.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

J.A.B.C. posted:

It's this, plus anti-communism. Kishi and Moon both hated China and NK, and got a lot of funding for providing cover to crack down on communists. It's pretty much how Showa no Yokai avoided a prison sentence, along with support from the U.S.

The Red Scare was a hell of a drug, and it made them a lot of money and power with fledgling governments, which they rooted deep as soon as they could. Kishi used it to solidify his hold in the LDP even after his ouster, and Moon used it to spread his religion, recruit overseas, support pseudo-dictators in South Korea, try to defend Richard Nixon, and even fund actual loving death squads through the World Anti-Communist League in South America.

Is there a good source for this? I'm not saying this isn't true (it probably is), I'm just used to people saying things that are made up bullshit on this hellsite that I reflexively assume something isn't true unless there's a giant citation to go behind it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

TheNamedSavior posted:

Is there a good source for this? I'm not saying this isn't true (it probably is), I'm just used to people saying things that are made up bullshit on this hellsite that I reflexively assume something isn't true unless there's a giant citation to go behind it.

it's in a lot of the news coverage about the fallout from the Abe assassination. if you want something predating it, here's a paper from 2001 about Kishi and the 1955 System that mentions the Unification Church: https://www.gwern.net/docs/japanese/2001-12-samuels-kishiandcorruptionananatomyofthe1955system.html

this obit is a good primer on Moon and his church's funding of death squads: https://m.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1209/S00029/reverend-moon-cult-leader-cia-asset-and-bush-family-friend.htm

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
16億6千万円

Talk about a blowout for our special boy Abe. Does that include security? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Daddys hot grill posted:

16億6千万円

Talk about a blowout for our special boy Abe. Does that include security? lol

how much of that is going to Sakura wo Miru Kai buddies?

rhetorical question. the answer is most of it