Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I think there's a big but somewhat hard to articulate difference between the episodes of LDR that are the big bangers that are massive awesome sucesses and the average ones. Like Cooked Auto mentions some of them just smash cut to black and that's your ending. And maybe some people really hate that, fair enough. But each episode is roughly ten minutes long so the episodes are sometimes more like a scene or two cut out of story rather than a full self contained story condensed into a 10 or 15 minute segment. And I think that's the difference between the smash hits and the hit or misses, the ones we've listed as the big hits are ones that are generally around 15 minutes and are a complete story arc. But not only that, they pick a theme and hit it square on and hard. They make you think and it's really compelling. Some of the other type of episodes are still really good, but they don't accomplish this.

The Very Pulse of the Machine was a good and cool short story, reminding me over other short sci-fi survival stories, and it's a good episode, but it doesn't stay with you. Lucky 13 makes you loving feel for an inanimate space marine dropship. It makes you feel bad when it gets shot up. It makes you feel good when the pilot lady defends it at all costs in the field and it's reputation in the hanger. Shapeshifters makes you feel for the two wolves, the struggles of fitting in, and their bonds as battle brothers, but it doesn't linger much after the episode is over. Zima Blue gets you downright existential at the end when Zima reveals himself, making you think about existence, and what would really made you happy, what would really make your existence meaningful. Kill Team Kill is just pure action and comedy. It's great, its funny and entertaining, but you're not going to get anything deep from it. Jibaro is a strange and cool episode, visually stunning as all hell, but it wraps up in such a way to leave me shrugging and going 'huh... oh well?'. Pop Squad is a brutal commentary and just punches you when you realize what the detectives job actually is. It's a real juxtaposition of utopia/dystopia right there side by side and it sells the weight, the burden of the detectives choice, his jobs role, very well.

I could go on episode by episode. But it's fair to say some are absolutely superb while others are only entertaining or humorous and not worth recalling in detail. It's worth pointing out that almost every episode is directed by someone different, so it's hard to expect a lot of consistency when not only the theme is whatever the director dreams up, but it's also a different director dreaming it up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sucker of Souls was probably the one that was the most disappointing to me.
It had a kernel of good in it, with some good characters and banter. But then it just ends with a smash cut to black and blatantly ignores one of the plot conceits it set up before just because the writers wanted to do a gotcha.

The Witness is also one of those really forgettable ones. While stylish it really doesn't say much of anything.
And the first Three robots draws out the joke a bit too much, but saves itself with a good punchline.
Suits is just starcraft, which is not helped by the fact that the main character is voiced by the same guy who did Tychus for Wings of Liberty.

The highs are high but the lows are low as someone once said about something completely different but still works in this case.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I feel like the lows are only lows in comparison to the super highs. Like I'm not gonna be mad at watching a 15 minute short like Suits if i just needed something to pass the time while my frozen pizza cooks in the oven.

...exact circumstance I watched many episodes of LDR

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jade Star posted:

What if this game took a swerve into the Occult?!? Wouldn't that be awesome.
I probably said this at some point in the stream but Davis Aurini is the guy you were thinking about with the skull and the perpetually undrunk glass of whiskey.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Ah thank you. Screw that guy. He sucks.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Free from the distractions of guerilla missions popping up it is time to set about ridding the world of the last Chosen. Having our team at full strength and able to pick whomever I want (Ciaphas) to go on this mission will make things easier. Much like the thread has talked about the Warlock is not the strongest fighter when he's alone. His real strengths shine when he can safely psionic you to death while a pod of regular ADVENT or aliens keep you pinned down. That makes this final showdown chamber of his a really poor idea on his part.

I'm joined, as always by my good friend 'Guava Moment' as we recall fond times of our past together, work our way through the labyrinth of the Chosen's stronghold, and question where that haunting melody is coming from.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guava's commentary does get drowned out by game audio a lot of the time. Especially when the Warlock starts to monologue.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Always happy to hear Klezmer Party.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Cooked Auto posted:

Guava's commentary does get drowned out by game audio a lot of the time. Especially when the Warlock starts to monologue.

His new audio set up is a mess. I had to amplify the music by like 20 db in post so he could hear it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wonder why out of all the Chosen Weapons that Warlock's is so...unWarlocky? You'd think you'd get some kind of super psionic amp or at least something related to psionics in the slightest for getting rid of him!

Makes me sad they didn't make a 4th Chosen that gives a super modded out Minigun/Rocket Launcher for Heavies. But i guess explosives are already super good as in Xcom 2 so maybe Jake though a Minigun with top tier mods AND the ability to ignore 5 armor like the other Chosen weapons on top of regular Shedder stuff was a bit too much.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

His new audio set up is a mess. I had to amplify the music by like 20 db in post so he could hear it.

Fix your game Jake audio Guava.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Does anyone know why the Warlock turns to stone when he dies?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Flair posted:

It's mentioned elsewhere on the internet that the Ethereals turned to stone in Enemy Unknown, but I don't remember much of it. Maybe if you're just very psionic that's what happens as you die.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

LashLightning posted:

It's mentioned elsewhere on the internet that the Ethereals turned to stone in Enemy Unknown, but I don't remember much of it. Maybe if you're just very psionic that's what happens as you die.

Psychic bullshit means crystals. Most rocks are composed of crystalline solids at the very small scale. Turns out you don't get to be the fashionable shiny kind of crystal unless you die in a pressure cooker or something.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Flair posted:

He was a huge ELO fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhJU_cNCZE

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

I wonder why out of all the Chosen Weapons that Warlock's is so...unWarlocky? You'd think you'd get some kind of super psionic amp or at least something related to psionics in the slightest for getting rid of him!
The Disruptor Rifle makes sense when the player finally gets to use it. It has a 100% crit chance against psionic enemies. Pair it with bluescreen rounds and you can casually one-shot a Codex or severely damage a Gatekeeper, as they count as both psionic and mechanical units. Or pair it with flame rounds to really put the hurt on Priests or [REDACTED].

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ew, why'd you have to get Lunethex on? Last time I saw him on Discord he was peddling right-wing talking points.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Feel free to not watch my LP. While Guava and I have similar views and have let that come up in the LP Lune didn't say poo poo about politics. I don't know his stance on anything, and I don't care because he behaved like a perfectly normal guest commentator. I do know that like 80% of the post recording poo poo I do Lune taught me. He set me up with software, settings, and help. This LP is possible because of the skills he taught me.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

AradoBalanga posted:

The Disruptor Rifle makes sense when the player finally gets to use it. It has a 100% crit chance against psionic enemies. Pair it with bluescreen rounds and you can casually one-shot a Codex or severely damage a Gatekeeper, as they count as both psionic and mechanical units. Or pair it with flame rounds to really put the hurt on Priests or [REDACTED].

You know, that makes a lot of sense now, given how the Chosen are used to neutralize any threats to ADVENT. It takes a psionic to kill a psionic after all (well, unless you have a Ranger with a fork, that'll do as well).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tagaziel posted:

You know, that makes a lot of sense now, given how the Chosen are used to neutralize any threats to ADVENT. It takes a psionic to kill a psionic after all (well, unless you have a Ranger with a fork, that'll do as well).

Each of the Chosen had a faction to deal with and I would assume that the Warlock was tasked to deal with the Templars.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Not sure if it's set or rotates, but The Warlock in the LP was vulnerable to skirmishers, which is why i brought Mox.

Lore wise, i think it's the assassin thats tasked with dealing with them.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I've definitely seen the Warlock vulnerable to the other classes before. It probably relates to if you have Lost and Abandoned enabled or not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In short, the Assassin's enemy and having guaranteed Shadowstep are set if you have Lost & Abandoned enabled

Other than that, everything is randomized for all three Chosen, though each Resistance Faction can only be strong against one of the three Chosen

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Weakness to Templar combined with Brittle Weakness to melee damage :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lore wise, the "official" setup is Assassin-Reaper (The Elders blamed her for the Reapers escaping so it was her job to hunt them), Hunter-Specter (he was made out of one to fight them), Warlock-Templar (Send a psion to hunt a psion). That's basically the "canon" matchup if you read the lore files.

In practice, each Chosen's weakness and matchup are randomized each game, with only the Assassin having a fixed matchup if you do the story missions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Alkydere posted:

Lore wise, the "official" setup is Assassin-Reaper (The Elders blamed her for the Reapers escaping so it was her job to hunt them), Hunter-Specter (he was made out of one to fight them), Warlock-Templar (Send a psion to hunt a psion). That's basically the "canon" matchup if you read the lore files.

In practice, each Chosen's weakness and matchup are randomized each game, with only the Assassin having a fixed matchup if you do the story missions.

You got the Reapers and the Skirmishers backwards here, but yes. For support see https://xcom.fandom.com/wiki/The_Hunter

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I am dumb and should play more and post less
:shrug:

I have actually been running 2/3 sparks per mission this most recent playthrough, and the overwhelming volume of fire is so satisfying

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 30, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ also the spark gun sound at whatever tier jade's currently at is just lovely

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Weakness to Templar combined with Brittle Weakness to melee damage :getin:
Which sadly can be countered by a Chosen ability that negates any melee damage (i.e., Templar gauntlets, Ranger swords/axes, Skirmisher ripjacks, and probably a SPARK's fist too). Jake Solomon at least thought that far ahead when designing this game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, the "Brittle" weakness does not refer specifically to Melee damage; it refers to any attack launched from within 2 or 3 tiles of the Chosen in question. Getting up close and personal with a Shotgun against a Brittle Chosen leads to great amounts of pain.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Sometimes you get stuck while solving a crime and the only thing you can do is take a walk in the woods. For no reason. Just because it's the absolute last and only thing you haven't done. Not that there's any reason to suspect you have to. Ah well.

e: it's not a sex cult Guava

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jade Star posted:

e: it's not a sex cult Guava

"Just keep pushing... Keep pushing! Keep pushing! You can push it all the way in Tom if you want to! Excellent Tom!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I haven't finished the video yet, but morphine does come in tablet form taken orally under the name provided (ora(l)morph(ine) get it?).

A brief google search tells me that morphine is also heavily controlled in the uk, just like the US. So uh, their initial cover story given is that a) their doctor is misprescribing a scheduled narcotic and should lose his license and face criminal charges
b) Ryan is using a scheduled narcotic that was prescribed to someone else which is also hella illegal.
c) Rebecca gave Ryan a scheduled narcotic prescribed to her

In short their initial defense, to a cop, was something that should have immediately landed everyone in jail. Although I guess that's better than "oh yeah, we're totally dealing them to our students."

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

As always, relevant later!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Halifax be dragons.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
What I love most about this is that while my own geographic knowledge is poor, even I know XCom geography is just...

Look when the aliens showed up everything got shuffled around okay.

Seattle is in Canada, Victoria Island is in Mexico, and London's in Japan now.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today's episode is a bit of a long one so get a snack and prepare ahead of time.

During the mission I saw an interaction for the first time. Something that in hindsight seems quite obvious and straightforward, but I'd just never seen the parts come together during a mission for it to happen. And then it got kind of silly. Fun stuff. I will also add context to the map Guava posted, because Guava is a jerk.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I actually had that board game. If I remember correctly, it wasn't Gowron that stole the Enterprise but some random klingon that they got O'Reilly to play, and he really hammed it up in a truly glorious way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

radintorov posted:

I actually had that board game. If I remember correctly, it wasn't Gowron that stole the Enterprise but some random klingon that they got O'Reilly to play, and he really hammed it up in a truly glorious way.
Yes he plays a different character named Kavok

They used the TNG sets to film the game, and a lot of the TNG production people also worked on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, when it comes to these "Mark the crates" missions, my preferred tactic is to just focus on enemies, and only mark crates that ADVENT has marked, just to sort of counter their mark. After all, if you win the map, you get any crates left on the map. So unless I plan on grabbing what I can and leaving without clearing the map, there's no real reason to spend the effort to mark crates that ADVENT isn't about to swipe.