Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alternatively, here's a 6800 XT for $575 after a coupon code and mail-in rebate: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx-6800-xt-gaming-z-trio-16g/p/N82E16814137720

This card is faster than the 3070 in most ways. It's much faster without ray tracing (25% faster at 1440p according to techpowerup), and it trades blows with the 3070 when it comes to ray tracing (it's usually faster, but it's worse in some titles like Cyberpunk). It doesn't support Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technique, but most games will now be shipping with some vendor-neutral alternative that's almost as good, so that's not a big deal anymore. At such a cheap price, it's probably worth it over the 3070, but that 3080 10GB I linked will be better value for the money (just be sure you can actually use the gift card without going out of your way to do so)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Roundboy posted:

This is the kind of thing i turned to the thread for. I see that part picker is doing me a bit wrong in some cases, but seems to be a toss up in others.
The part cooler and ssd were recommended in a build from a while ago I saw, so I have no particular attachment to either

Meh on DDR5 because the performance over the premium is not there? and likely by the time i upgrade again we will be talking about ddr6 or DDR_laserholograph or similar.

Considering im coming from a I7-4770K and GTX 1660 Ti (while will remain a perfectly fine kids PC) it will be worth the bump in long term use as a gaming rig and PCVR

There is this absolutely loving bonkers deal right now.

https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb/p/N82E16820331848

$250 for 32GB ddr5 plus a decent PCIe gen4 (most recent, most drives don’t support) NVMe. This deal has been up a while but disappeared and come back once so who know how long it’ll last.

Considering you have a microcenter, and you’re willing to spend for reasonable increases, I’d get whatever a good deal is at microcenter for 12600-12700k + ddr5 board and that deal. Then probably look at a 3080 for GPU as prices are dropping and expected to drop more over the next few weeks via multiple sources.

DDR5 now gives you potential to upgrade to better DDR5 later if it matters. But considering a gen 4 2TB is like $180 or more anyway, you still end up ahead of DDR4 pricing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Meh on DDR5 because the performance over the premium is not there? and likely by the time i upgrade again we will be talking about ddr6 or DDR_laserholograph or similar.

The current DDR5 play is this bundle with this motherboard. It's more expensive than what you've picked, but you're getting 2TB of storage instead of 1TB, so it would still be quite a good deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Recent tests showed DDR5 6400 absolutely wrecking same processor DDR4 single core performance. I think one of the thread regulars posted the table in either the AMD or Intel threads. On mobile so too difficult to find but the benchmarks are out there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Recent tests showed DDR5 6400 absolutely wrecking same processor DDR4 single core performance. I think one of the thread regulars posted the table in either the AMD or Intel threads. On mobile so too difficult to find but the benchmarks are out there.

That was in one game only, Spider Man Remastered. In most games, there is barely any difference. Here's several games being tested with both DDR5 and DDR4: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-ddr5-6600-cl32-2x-16-gb/7.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Alternatively, here's a 6800 XT for $575 after a coupon code and mail-in rebate: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx-6800-xt-gaming-z-trio-16g/p/N82E16814137720

This card is faster than the 3070 in most ways. It's much faster without ray tracing (25% faster at 1440p according to techpowerup), and it trades blows with the 3070 when it comes to ray tracing (it's usually faster, but it's worse in some titles like Cyberpunk). It doesn't support Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technique, but most games will now be shipping with some vendor-neutral alternative that's almost as good, so that's not a big deal anymore. At such a cheap price, it's probably worth it over the 3070, but that 3080 10GB I linked will be better value for the money (just be sure you can actually use the gift card without going out of your way to do so)

Putting aside that my current infatuation with Stable Diffusion might be clouding my judgement, should ai considerations begin to play a role in the thread's recommendations? Right now it's still a niche, but I could imagine at-home ai computing blowing up enough within a year or two, that it'll be something most even just moderately technically savvy people will want out of their gpu. As far as I know, a lot of this stuff doesn't work on Windows on AMD cards, and can be a pita to set up on linux. Idk how likely this is to change in the future, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Putting aside that my current infatuation with Stable Diffusion might be clouding my judgement, should ai considerations begin to play a role in the thread's recommendations? Right now it's still a niche, but I could imagine at-home ai computing blowing up enough within a year or two, that it'll be something most even just moderately technically savvy people will want out of their gpu. As far as I know, a lot of this stuff doesn't work on Windows on AMD cards, and can be a pita to set up on linux. Idk how likely this is to change in the future, though.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. I gotta answer this question with an emphatic no.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fair enough. I'm not sure how things will shake out, but to me feels like it could be a historic paradigm shift for all the creative industries.

Like I used to wish I could draw better or hire an artist for some stupid personal projects. Now I can fire up my 3060ti and get better results than I could have ever hoped for in minutes.

And this is just early days; the tip of the iceberg. To me this is valuable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

Fair enough. I'm not sure how things will shake out, but to me feels like it could be a historic paradigm shift for all the creative industries.

Like I used to wish I could draw better or hire an artist for some stupid personal projects. Now I can fire up my 3060ti and get better results than I could have ever hoped for in minutes.

Your 3060 Ti made these with stable diffusion? Holy poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah. Each of those rendered in 5-6 seconds, not counting prompt preparation (which is a real time sink, but fun).

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D
Could someone who knows graphics cards tell me the difference between these two, or why one is close to 500 more than the other despite having lower specifications:
I am referring to the ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D vs the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB VENTUS 3X PLUS

Both of these were recommended to me and I'm trying to figure out why the MSI costs over 500 more, despite having worse 'performance' stats listed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z4BHJH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 ASRock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TNLQRSJ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 MSI

According to PC parts picker the MSI has the same ram and lower core and boost clock. So worse 'stats'?

Can anyone tell me why it's much higher priced or if either of these is a good pick for a card? I know absolutely nothing about graphics card anymore but I was hoping to learn a bit about what would be a good budget/power cards right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxkcyK For reference this is the build it would be going on. I'm just utterly lost when it comes to modern GPU's

General_Disturbed fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 26, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

If you are a creative doing stuff with AI, then you should mention that when discussing your use cases for your computer. But for the average PC builder, I don't see it becoming a consideration.

edit: I took your original post to mean should this be something we consider for all of our recommendations, but for 95% of people it really won't matter. If someone has a unique use case, then we should recommend something suited to it, otherwise it's not a consideration. Which is the same as it's always been.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 26, 2022

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

TheDemon posted:

My impression was a lower end setup with maybe one 4k camera and a few 1080p 30fps webcams maybe. Given that it seems likely the existing setup is not very high spec if they are laymen asking a friend to build something for them, and given that they are presently using USB which would preclude the type of camera that needs HDMI cards.

But yes, the moment you add high quality cameras to the setup it needs much higher tier hardware. Not a higher tier computer necessarily, but higher tier connections and decoding.

Sorry for the delayed update, family came into town.

I got some update on friends stream setup

"one Lumix g6 DSLR plugged through HDMI converter to USB, 2 obsbot meet 4k webcams, 2 obsbot tinycam webcams, 2 Logitech 1080 webcams, one Yamaha mg10xu mixer, elgato stream deck, a hotkey keyboard, wireless mouse and keyboard (everything before this is all USB),....the other two cameras are wireless and run through a program called iriun webcam, mics and in ear monitor headphones are all wireless but run on the same frequency I think. and then the lumia stream lights run and I think are actually working right now"

Given this information it seems like having them use a USB hub be good. If they need more HDMI ports can also get splitters to combine cameras

Thank you so much for all of the feedback

e: they have tried a USB hub but all the cameras did not work on it together. they are currently running 2 pcie on their main computer to give them additional 8 usb plugins

Fixit fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 26, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

General_Disturbed posted:

Could someone who knows graphics cards tell me the difference between these two, or why one is close to 500 more than the other despite having lower specifications:
I am referring to the ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D vs the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB VENTUS 3X PLUS

Both of these were recommended to me and I'm trying to figure out why the MSI costs over 500 more, despite having worse 'performance' stats listed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z4BHJH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 ASRock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TNLQRSJ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 MSI

According to PC parts picker the MSI has the same ram and lower core and boost clock. So worse 'stats'?

Can anyone tell me why it's much higher priced or if either of these is a good pick for a card? I know absolutely nothing about graphics card anymore but I was hoping to learn a bit about what would be a good budget/power cards right now.

They're made using different architectures, and different architectures get different amounts of performance per clock cycle. It's best not to look at the specs for this reason, they can be highly misleading. Instead, look at reviews that test the cards in real-world scenarios. The 3080 is dramatically faster than the 6700 XT: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x-12-gb/30.html

That said, $911 is not a normal price for a 3080 12GB. This would be much cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...qRwd2ifHY9MZV1w
And this is that same 6700 XT card but for cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...XC30oP2qmxqTp5g

You should tell us what kind of computer you're putting the card in and what kind of resolution and performance you're hoping to get out of it, and we can give you a recommendation suited to your needs.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

They're made using different architectures, and different architectures get different amounts of performance per clock cycle. It's best not to look at the specs for this reason, they can be highly misleading. Instead, look at reviews that test the cards in real-world scenarios. The 3080 is dramatically faster than the 6700 XT: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x-12-gb/30.html

That said, $911 is not a normal price for a 3080 12GB. This would be much cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...qRwd2ifHY9MZV1w
And this is that same 6700 XT card but for cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...XC30oP2qmxqTp5g

You should tell us what kind of computer you're putting the card in and what kind of resolution and performance you're hoping to get out of it, and we can give you a recommendation suited to your needs.

Hi sorry I already edited the post to show it but you must have answered too fast, I'm dum and forgot to put the link in.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxkcyK This is the build. It's just a budget gaming rig. I was recommended the i5 and mobo for power/price ratio and those two cards as possible usages in it. But graphics cards are such a mess right now it's hard to find anything reliable that fits in a budget

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hi sorry I already edited the post to show it but you must have answered too fast, I'm dum and forgot to put the link in.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxkcyK This is the build. It's just a budget gaming rig. I was recommended the i5 and mobo for power/price ratio and those two cards as possible usages in it. But graphics cards are such a mess right now it's hard to find anything reliable that fits in a budget

The rest of those components are fine and common recommendations, though I have to wonder where you're getting a 2TB 980 Pro for $48 :stare: (I assume it's being bought second-hand or something? Someone's giving you a hell of a good deal, if so)

Since this person seems to know what they're doing, I assume the 6700 XT was recommended as a sensible midrange option and the 3080 12GB was recommended as a high-end graphics card. That would be a fair set of recommendations, and you can see the performance difference in the review I linked above. Which you should get really depends on the kind of performance you're looking for.

For a humble 1440p setup, the 6700 XT would make sense. Though for the next day, there's a 3060 Ti available from Zotac for $400, which I think I would recommend over the 6700 XT for the same price. The 6700 XT is slightly better normally, but the 3060 Ti does faster ray tracing (much faster).

The 3080 12GB is good at really high-end 1440p (pushing ray tracing to the max or going for very high frame rates) or 4K. If you're going to be gaming at 1080p, then maybe the 6600 XT would be better. It's the best value for that resolution right now.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

The rest of those components are fine and common recommendations, though I have to wonder where you're getting a 2TB 980 Pro for $48 :stare: (I assume it's being bought second-hand or something? Someone's giving you a hell of a good deal, if so)

Since this person seems to know what they're doing, I assume the 6700 XT was recommended as a sensible midrange option and the 3080 12GB was recommended as a high-end graphics card. That would be a fair set of recommendations, and you can see the performance difference in the review I linked above. Which you should get really depends on the kind of performance you're looking for.

For a humble 1440p setup, the 6700 XT would make sense. Though for the next day, there's a 3060 Ti available from Zotac for $400, which I think I would recommend over the 6700 XT for the same price. The 6700 XT is slightly better normally, but the 3060 Ti does faster ray tracing (much faster).

The 3080 12GB is good at really high-end 1440p (pushing ray tracing to the max or going for very high frame rates) or 4K. If you're going to be gaming at 1080p, then maybe the 6600 XT would be better. It's the best value for that resolution right now.

Sorry those are the prices I'm tracking for "How much it would cost today". And some of that falls into payment plans on amazon which I am more interested in using. It's why I'm comparing lots of cards. I can get a higher end card as long as it falls under a payment plan on amazon which seems to be utterly random whether they do or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11304-03-20G-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B08NXYNLMR/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Radeon+6800&qid=1661474205&sr=8-4 this on for instance seems to be a good card based on the list of cards I was linked to and also under a payment plan I could do. Would you recommend this one? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I find GPU's to be utterly and completely impenetrable. The stats on them seem to mean nothing and even if I find a card someone recommends, there seems to be 2000 different branded versions of it as well. So trying to browse through amazon to find a card in my budget, that is recommended for performance, and also on a payment plan... is a wide awake nightmare.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry those are the prices I'm tracking for "How much it would cost today". And some of that falls into payment plans on amazon which I am more interested in using. It's why I'm comparing lots of cards. I can get a higher end card as long as it falls under a payment plan on amazon which seems to be utterly random whether they do or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11304-03-20G-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B08NXYNLMR/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Radeon+6800&qid=1661474205&sr=8-4 this on for instance seems to be a good card based on the list of cards I was linked to and also under a payment plan I could do. Would you recommend this one? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I find GPU's to be utterly and completely impenetrable. The stats on them seem to mean nothing and even if I find a card someone recommends, there seems to be 2000 different branded versions of it as well. So trying to browse through amazon to find a card in my budget, that is recommended for performance, and also on a payment plan... is a wide awake nightmare.

Okay, in that case, do not get the 980 Pro. That is way too expensive, and other drives will give you basically the same performance when it comes to game load times for way less money. The 2TB Intel 670p appears to be eligible for Amazon's payment plan and is cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PCI-Ex...ics%2C88&sr=1-2

As for the 6800 XT, if you go that route and need to shop from Amazon, then you should grab this instead. In fact, I'll just list things out like this. The cheapest cards on Amazon for each GPU type, with price to performance using TPU's 1440p framerate data:

6600 XT: $300 - $3.28/frame
6700 XT: $420 - $3.62/frame
6800 XT: $640 - $4.14/frame
3060 Ti: $460 - $4.15/frame
3070: $500 - $3.99/frame
3080 12GB: $720 - $4.42/frame

So, in conclusion, I think the options you should consider are the 6600 XT if you're pairing it with a 1080p monitor. At 1080p, it can give you a smooth frame rate in basically everything with maxed out settings, except for ray tracing in some games (but in many games it should work fine). And it's just a great value at $300. If you're wanting to use a 1440p monitor, then in my opinion the best value on Amazon right now is the 3070. The 6700 XT gets a slightly better cost per frame rating, but it's worse at ray tracing by a lot, and Nvidia has something called DLSS, which is basically a "free performance" button in some games (it upscales the image from a lower resolution, but does so with advanced algorithms and poo poo so it looks super clean). There are vendor-neutral alternatives to DLSS, but adoption isn't as widespread for those, yet. So the 3070 is worth the extra money, in my opinion. The 6800 XT or 3080 12GB could be considered too if you want extra performance, but you're paying a bit of a premium for something that definitely isn't necessary.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 26, 2022

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D
Thank you for the list! It's nice to have one infront of me. Trying to figure out graphics cards is a nightmare. There seems to be a thousand different versions of each card and I never have any idea what is or isn't good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fixit posted:

Sorry for the delayed update, family came into town.

I got some update on friends stream setup

"one Lumix g6 DSLR plugged through HDMI converter to USB, 2 obsbot meet 4k webcams, 2 obsbot tinycam webcams, 2 Logitech 1080 webcams, one Yamaha mg10xu mixer, elgato stream deck, a hotkey keyboard, wireless mouse and keyboard (everything before this is all USB),....the other two cameras are wireless and run through a program called iriun webcam, mics and in ear monitor headphones are all wireless but run on the same frequency I think. and then the lumia stream lights run and I think are actually working right now"

Given this information it seems like having them use a USB hub be good. If they need more HDMI ports can also get splitters to combine cameras

Thank you so much for all of the feedback

e: they have tried a USB hub but all the cameras did not work on it together. they are currently running 2 pcie on their main computer to give them additional 8 usb plugins

This is an insanely complicated setup. And it’s significantly further complicated by all the mixing and matching.

A thunderbolt hub with tons of USB A may work if you want a hub solution. Or buying a MB with tons of ports and supplementing with PCIe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thank you for the list! It's nice to have one infront of me. Trying to figure out graphics cards is a nightmare. There seems to be a thousand different versions of each card and I never have any idea what is or isn't good.

It's best to boil things down to the essentials. AMD and Nvidia make the actual GPU chips, and everyone else just make and sell the boards those chips go onto. The chips are responsible for the actual performance of the card, and anything else the card manufacturers do amount to little more than plus or minus 1%. The main difference between the billion different card configurations will be the cooler used. Some cards will have better coolers than others, which means they'll be quieter. Component quality also matters to some extent—using lovely electrical components can result in "coil whine" for example—but that is almost impossible to judge at a glance and we don't have too many reviews that remark on those aspects. So at the end of the day, focus on the actual GPU chip models themselves, then look among the cheapest models while trying to avoid duds if they have particularly bad user reviews or something (this isn't very common).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah that's what I thought, they want a machine for a technician to manage their many inputs, control the source and manage the audio and effects and stuff. hubs are going to have problems with that amount of data throughput, a USB c hub will better I think

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I was planning on holding out for AM5 but I can put the following together and come in quite a bit under budget. This will be a 1440p system and it'll probably be for mostly MMOs and E-Sports stuff so I don't need top of the line horsepower but I like having the option of upgrading the CPU and GPU to something better down the line if I need to. Any suggestions or recommendations on anything I might want to change?

That Newegg $250 DDR5 + SSD combo and combining it with the following:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JxzKNc

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($220.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($144.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($206.43 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1228.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-25 22:01 EDT-0400

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 26, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I'm here from BFC to say: please don't buy a GPU you could not otherwise afford on a payment plan

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Been seeing all the news about there being a glut of GPUs now so I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade from my 1060 SC. Problem is I've only got a 550 watt power supply so I'm ideally looking at something with around the same power consumption as my 1060. I think I can get a 3050 but do you have any better ideas?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could get a 3060 i think. definitely if you undervolted it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lareine posted:

Been seeing all the news about there being a glut of GPUs now so I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade from my 1060 SC. Problem is I've only got a 550 watt power supply so I'm ideally looking at something with around the same power consumption as my 1060. I think I can get a 3050 but do you have any better ideas?

The 3050 wouldn't be a big enough upgrade, and it's a poor value when it comes to cost per frame. The 6600 XT is a much better purchase for $300, and it can run on a 550W PSU just fine.

edit: vvvv I was tunnel visioned on the GPU, but these are fair points. For a true value-oriented build, a 12400 is more than good enough. You may want to stick with a 12600K though if you're going with a 6800 XT or 3080. The 12100 I would only recommend if you really need to cut costs and build a super price-optimized computer. You lose a decent amount of compute power for other CPU tasks like compression/decompression, encoding, etc, and you will lose some gaming performance, though it's still quite the capable 4-core CPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 26, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

this doesn't particularly make sense as a "budget gaming rig" & even less if you are so constrained that you are considering payment plans (which i agree does not seem like a good idea), - 8TB of storage is not a budget move and a 12600KF is not a budget CPU - it's perfectly fine but you can easily get away with less - the 12400F or 5600 with corresponding B660/B550 motherboard would be better starting points but even then it could make sense to go down to a 12100F for an actual budget build (with a 6600 or 6600XT for a very budget 1080p machine)

hamsystem posted:

I was planning on holding out for AM5 but I can put the following together and come in quite a bit under budget. This will be a 1440p system and it'll probably be for mostly MMOs and E-Sports stuff so I don't need top of the line horsepower but I like having the option of upgrading the CPU and GPU to something better for the line if I need to. Any suggestions or recommendations on anything I might want to change?

Zen 4 is being announced in a few days and is out next month so if you were intending to wait for it you may as well just wait a little bit more & GPU prices should drop further in that time too

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is an insanely complicated setup. And it’s significantly further complicated by all the mixing and matching.

A thunderbolt hub with tons of USB A may work if you want a hub solution. Or buying a MB with tons of ports and supplementing with PCIe.

Yeah. Their setup really confuses me but they probably pieced it together as they have been streaming.

Going to do some more research and look at the comments to hopefully help them build something better and more streamlined

Again, thank you for all of the help! Can't express it enough how much I value all the tips/tricks/advice/wisdom/and a little bit of "slap me upside the head"ness

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I started having issues again with my new build. The PC soft locks/stutters while gaming or browsing the internet, audio can still be heard. Really slows down and takes a long time to change tabs, click on things, do anything, but it eventually returns to normal after a minute or two.

When I lightly hit the PC it stops stuttering/locking up and returns to normal. Any guesses on which part could be causing this?

I'm going to do a full rebuild and check for loose connections.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

err posted:

I started having issues again with my new build. The PC soft locks/stutters while gaming or browsing the internet, audio can still be heard. Really slows down and takes a long time to change tabs, click on things, do anything, but it eventually returns to normal after a minute or two.

When I lightly hit the PC it stops stuttering/locking up and returns to normal. Any guesses on which part could be causing this?

I'm going to do a full rebuild and check for loose connections.

My guess is loose ram or loose GPU connection.

Keep something like taskmanager or hwinfo open and look at the readouts when that happens, see if something (temp, utilization) is spiking.

Also check event viewer.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I know this is the building thread but I have a quick Q about prebuilt (I understand all the benefits to building it yourself).

The last time I bought a desktop was 2003 so I wanted to see if there were any brands in recent years that I should just avoid (I'm hearing Dell is one). I'm just looking to buy a solid gamer PC so I can video edit with no problem. Something like this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...8&skuId=6477879

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WerthersWay posted:

I know this is the building thread but I have a quick Q about prebuilt (I understand all the benefits to building it yourself).

The last time I bought a desktop was 2003 so I wanted to see if there were any brands in recent years that I should just avoid (I'm hearing Dell is one). I'm just looking to buy a solid gamer PC so I can video edit with no problem. Something like this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...8&skuId=6477879

Avoid a lot of big PC companies, look for a company that just builds computers from off the shelf components. Look places up in your area and see if there's any stores or people who build PCs to order for a fee, if you have a Micro Center nearby you can just give them a list of parts and they'll build it for you. A lot of part websites also will sell prebuilts under inhouse brands (Newegg have ABS for example) that are often pretty decent.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

WerthersWay posted:

Stay away from that computer unless you feel like baking your components. They blocked off the largest air intake on the case by bolting a pair of SSDs over it.

Also there are two completely different builds shown on that page.

Just stay away from HP in general.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you need a GPU,

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1563273368601653248

I was able to add this to my cart for shipping and do store pick up in LA so its not just a pipe dream.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WerthersWay posted:

Any name you recognize is probably a bad idea.

quote:

When you first post for advice, tell us the following:

What country are you in?
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

If you need a GPU,

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1563273368601653248

I was able to add this to my cart for shipping and do store pick up in LA so its not just a pipe dream.

lol, the entire page was taken offline. According to people on reddit, there were still plenty in stock when the deal was taken offline, so maybe it was a price error? They seem to be honoring it, though.

edit: $240 after rebate for an RX 6600 at newegg, which is a new all-time low: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6600-rx6600-cld-8g/p/N82E16814930066

It seems AMD has recently ended their promo where you get Saints Row, Forspoken, and Sniper Elite 5 for free with a GPU purchase. Really dodging a bullet, there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 12600KF is $220 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-126...aps%2C75&sr=8-2

$200 - $220 is probably where the 12600KF will settle for a few months after the 13th-gen's launch, and those 13th-gen parts will be more expensive. So I don't think you'll feel stupid for buying this, even with new CPUs coming out in a month or two. The MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 is still $145, and there are still some Teamgroup DDR5 + SSD bundles available (the black one is out of stock but can be back-ordered still). So it's $615 for a solid set of components that would be good with a high-end GPU, even. Not bad.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 27, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
What's the best way to use my SSD boot drive in a new PC? Can I just plug the thing in and then reset this PC option in Windows? Likewise can I just plug my storage ssd in the new build with all the games etc already on it or do I need to wipe it first and reinstall everything when it's in the new PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Considering the 12700k is $370 that is a nice deal. I have everything in a cart/list and deals are popping up all over. I almost want to pull the trigger now but hesitate because 'what is coming next'?

Ddr5 board and mem

And everything else is just gravy