Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doom 3 was fine, just not a great doom.

There were a couple pitiful weapons and sounds for them though. And they can lick my balls from the back for the redesigned Cacodemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think Bulletstorm was just as good as Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal

I like to imagine as world where Duke Nukem Forever came out as Bulletstorm.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
in Doom64, in one of the hell levels there's a wailing scream in the background that sounds just like Mr Wilson from the Dennis the Menace cartoon and that haunts me to this day

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Bulletstorm and Sunset Overdrive are the two games most deserving of sequels.

Also remake/redos of Total Overdose and Wet wouldn't go amiss

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

satanic splash-back posted:

Every D&D player I've met recently has been even more broke brained than "gamers" because they all worship a few streamers and/or stream their own games and just like all streamers, they're all insufferable.

Figures there's the downside of pretty much everyone now getting into D&D doing it because of podcasters. The current edition's poo poo, too, iirc most of the original podcasters don't even actually use the system anymore or at least out cut out almost all of the parts where they do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Figures there's the downside of pretty much everyone now getting into D&D doing it because of podcasters. The current edition's poo poo, too, iirc most of the original podcasters don't even actually use the system anymore or at least out cut out almost all of the parts where they do.
If you're setting out to make an RPG actual play podcast/stream/vod, you're kind of caught in a dilemma where D&D is absolutely terrible for what you want to do, but if you don't use it then you lose the massive advantage of name recognition.

But the ones using equally unsuitable systems without the name recognition? They're just being dumb. Just freeform it. The game mechanics come up, like, three times an episode at most. Why are you shackling yourself to this system that is doing nothing for you?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A skilled DM can make it work. NADDPOD is great and they are only hombrewing a couple of aspects, and DND rule lawyering has lead to some absolutely iconic moments

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doom Eternal was okay but tried to distract you from the shallow kill kill with whatever platforming, stupid exploration, and introducing new weapons, no I don't need another melee option. Oh yeah and RPG character progression but I suppose all games do that now a days. It also had swimming, who the gently caress wants swimming? I don't want swimming. They knew people didn't want swimming there's a reason why it was only like in one part of the game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doom 3 is better than half life 2 and it's not even close

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Duck and Cover posted:

Doom Eternal was okay but tried to distract you from the shallow kill kill with whatever platforming, stupid exploration, and introducing new weapons, no I don't need another melee option. Oh yeah and RPG character progression but I suppose all games do that now a days. It also had swimming, who the gently caress wants swimming? I don't want swimming. They knew people didn't want swimming there's a reason why it was only like in one part of the game.

I haven't finished it yet but I think it's amazing. Which isn't exactly an unpopular opinion. I'm playing it on hard mode and it really clicks all the mechanisms into place to the point each arena set piece battle almost seems like a puzzle aswell as an action game.

The last of us was very average and the story was completely undermined by how many people Joel strangles to death. I can't be bothered to finish it, but I probably would've watched it if it was a film.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Quote-Unquote posted:

yes and yet no. Doom 3 is missing a standout level like "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" which still gives me the creeps after all these years.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

mudskipp posted:

The last of us was very average and the story was completely undermined by how many people Joel strangles to death. I can't be bothered to finish it, but I probably would've watched it if it was a film.

When you become a parent in meatspace, The Last of Us hits a little differently.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I have a child but I've not strangled 50 people yet?
It's a standard videogame problem but the number of people he kills just knocks the story all out of whack for me.

Death stranding was great for creating an action (ish) game where death wasn't a trivial part of progression

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im not a big fan of tlou but Joel being a murderous rear end in a top hat is actually entirely congruent with the narrative

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

tango alpha delta posted:

yes and yet no. Doom 3 is missing a standout level like "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" which still gives me the creeps after all these years.

I never got this attitude. Ravenholm presents as a spooky horror level, but then it plays like a zombie booby trap physics playground where you run around chucking saw blades at them and dropping cars on all over the place.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

I never got this attitude. Ravenholm presents as a spooky horror level, but then it plays like a zombie booby trap physics playground where you run around chucking saw blades at them and dropping cars on all over the place.

I played Halflife 2 when it first came out in November 2004, so I'll admit that maybe it's my nostalgia talking. I'll have to play it again.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Doom 3 is great because it's a fun horror game that came out before Amnesia released and the entire genre turned into tedious stealth games for a decade.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 26, 2022

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
i remember really liking doom 3 even over rage which i felt was really uneven. doom 3 atleast felt like a complete vision.
i didnt have a pc growing up so i had no nostalgia for doom, after playing them they do feel like a quirky half life mod
or sven coop map which i found charming but hard to really fall in love with.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

FoolyCharged posted:

everything you just described owns, i dont understand the problem

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

everything you just described owns, i dont understand the problem

It does own! But it's not scary in the slightest because of it

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I replayed HL2 about a month ago. still owns imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

FoolyCharged posted:

It does own! But it's not scary in the slightest because of it

Ravenholm is very scary. I don't like zombies

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

I second that doom 3 was cool as poo poo even if it wasn't a very good game or doom game. Nothing else has shadows quite like it at the time and it was a unique experience.

Escape from butcher bay did. Months before Doom 3. On console. And it was a better game.

Doom 3 sucks.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Quote-Unquote posted:

c'mon man

i liked highway 17 more as a "standout" level but ravenholm is still really good

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ilmucche posted:

Ravenholm is very scary. I don't like zombies

IMO most of Ravenholm is merely creepy (at best), not scary, but the part where you're on the roof and the fast-zombies are climbing the drainpipes is legitimately the scariest thing in any videogame I've ever played.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

i liked highway 17 more as a "standout" level but ravenholm is still really good

:agreed:; Highway 17 is the chapter I go back to most often if I just want to jam a little HL2 for old time's sake.

Honestly every chapter in HL2 is iconic, except maybe "anticitizen one" and "follow freeman!" (the city sections in the latter half of the game) which drag on a bit too long. But even those have some cool moments imo.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

When you become a parent in meatspace, The Last of Us hits a little differently.

no it doesn't

mother 3 does tho

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

meatspace sounds like an edgy late 2000s remake of subspace

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Last of us hinges on empathizing with a serial strangler?

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
The key bit that put me off tbh was a school level I think where I'd snuck through trying to minimise the amount of killing, got to the doors and the game seemed to want me to go back and kill the rest of the bandits before it would progress.

It would've been fine if there was a scene where Ellie says "wow Joel you're really good at strangling people to death" and they joke and have some horseplay with a nearby a pile of people he's killed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(pushes corpses faces into each other) Hey Joel look they're in love

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"We really are the last of us", says Goon #12 to Goon #5, just before getting bricked by Joel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

If you're setting out to make an RPG actual play podcast/stream/vod, you're kind of caught in a dilemma where D&D is absolutely terrible for what you want to do, but if you don't use it then you lose the massive advantage of name recognition.

But the ones using equally unsuitable systems without the name recognition? They're just being dumb. Just freeform it. The game mechanics come up, like, three times an episode at most. Why are you shackling yourself to this system that is doing nothing for you?

Like I said the popular streamers don't actually use the system and 'a skilled DM can make it works' is the 'mods will fix it' of TRPGs, but the real funny thing both with players and audiences is that you can basically run anything and just tell them that it's D&D and they won't know the difference.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Speaking of Doom 3, Quake 4 just got added to game pass so I downloaded that. I hear its campaign is serviceable?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's probably the best way to describe Quake4, yea. You already know if you're the type of guy who wants to play very ordinary single player campaigns from 15 years ago.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
quake 4 the maps use nearly all the same assets its really cheap feeling.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

That's probably the best way to describe Quake4, yea. You already know if you're the type of guy who wants to play very ordinary single player campaigns from 15 years ago.

Why yes I just replayed half life

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Speaking of Doom 3, Quake 4 just got added to game pass so I downloaded that. I hear its campaign is serviceable?

Is "extruded fps parts" serviceable? Also for story reasons the game arbitrarily reduces your move speed about 25% until around 1/2 into the game. I just finished it last week and there is not a single thing to recommend unless you must play an insanely forgettable and dated FPS experience

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One thing I strongly appreciated about Quake4, and so it sticks with me years later, is the passive dynamic difficulty. Basically small mechanical things.

Like there's a point where you have a squad of marines with you, including guys who'll give you unlimited hp and armour if you ask them. Except that they're total idiots and walk face first into every ambush, so in order to keep them around you have to take point and flush everyone out - therefore suddenly really needing all that healing. Or you can let them die and play smart with peeking/dodging, but will have to make do with no refills. Same thing with the HP stations; medkits on the ground are totally standard hp stuff, with excess healing above max being wasted. But the HP stations only heal you to ~half hp, so it's healing only available to player who are struggling.

It's a really minor thing, like really really, but it stuck with me, especially after all the Crysis-styled infinite healing post-combat that was floating around at the time I felt. I'm a very simple man with simple fps tastes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Barudak posted:

Is "extruded fps parts" serviceable? Also for story reasons the game arbitrarily reduces your move speed about 25% until around 1/2 into the game. I just finished it last week and there is not a single thing to recommend unless you must play an insanely forgettable and dated FPS experience

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_0vTb1xbM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So the new Saint's Row came out apparently and I have heard literally nothing about it except that it is bad