Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Zil posted:

And thus PFts were born, Polaroid filmed trash

I know they’ve been looking for a brand comeback for a while… I think they just found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
PFTs already exist, he played the dog on Bojack

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Golden Bee posted:

What is this, a crossover?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Why do all of the people handing their money over to the man who promises to magically double it never loving ask why he doesn’t just keep doubling his own drat money.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because magic man wants to help people double their money duh.

what a loving stupid question.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

spunkshui posted:

Why do all of the people handing their money over to the man who promises to magically double it never loving ask why he doesn’t just keep doubling his own drat money.

He doesn't want to, but he ran out of golden fiddles.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

Uh. So what actually happens is that the price of bitcoin drops below the cost of mining and the miners switch off the least efficient rigs and then the difficulty adjusts a couple's weeks later

the cost of mining does not act as some sort of "floor" to the price

because that's just as dumb as it sounds

also that mining sets a floor price because reasons was the stupidest bitcoiner claim until they came up with the one about the battery

Okay, as the idiot who brought that up, I feel like I must not understand something here; wouldn't a miner expect the price of BTC to cover the cost of mining it? Would that not result in some form of a "minimum" sale price for those coins in aggregate?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Golden Bee posted:

Mr. Peanut Butter would definitely peddle a line of NFTs and try to get Bojack in on it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Somfin posted:

Okay, as the idiot who brought that up, I feel like I must not understand something here; wouldn't a miner expect the price of BTC to cover the cost of mining it? Would that not result in some form of a "minimum" sale price for those coins in aggregate?

Not really. For example, a lot of miners stored up coins over the last year when prices were going up, then were forced to sell them below cost later this year as prices dropped. Miners *hope* they dont have to sell below cost, but they dont get to set prices as newly minted coins are a small amount of the total market supply.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm gonna stand outside of a bank and sell "money doublers" but they're just like LiveStrong bracelets, they cost 1000 dollars each and really work!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Because they worship the rich and are desperate to believe that the rich are generous and kind.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Somfin posted:

If I spend all my money buying firewood and try to sell the ashes, does that make the price of firewood a "floor" for the ashes? I may WANT to sell at some price that at least covers my materals, but I may also decide that I'm going to cut my losses and get what I can for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Somfin posted:

lots of people expect to win the lottery. that doesn’t affect anything either.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hence why they didn't actually sell the things and just swapped them for freshly printed Tether instead, right?

At a price (in a different kind of fake dollars that could be more directly swapped for real dollars) that would cover their electricity costs?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm gonna stand outside of a bank and sell "money doublers" but they're just like LiveStrong bracelets, they cost 1000 dollars each and really work!

Make them out of copper and set up shop in the Villages, you'll get rich

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The part where the idea that mining establishes a price floor breaks down is that Bitcoin will always be produced at the same rate no matter what, so its supply is fixed no matter how many miners there are. If a bunch of miners suddenly find that the price is too low to justify mining, it's not like them dropping out would reduce the supply or anything.

The market fluctuates entirely based on 1) the degree of fraud being committed by exchanges, and 2) market demand. The price doesn't react to mining at all, and it's the opposite that happens—miners come and go depending on the price. The price can continue falling all the way to $10, and miners would just have to stop mining until there's like 100 hardcore buttcoiners running rigs in their basement like the old days.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 26, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Neito posted:

If I spend all my money buying firewood and try to sell the ashes, does that make the price of firewood a "floor" for the ashes? I may WANT to sell at some price that at least covers my materals, but I may also decide that I'm going to cut my losses and get what I can for it.

you should make soap from the ashs + some sort of fat, and then sell the soap.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

you should make soap from the ashs + some sort of fat, and then sell the soap.

Ah, the utility myth. You should really buy all this ash from me because pretty soon it'll be the only way to get soap. Soap 2.0. We'll start the price at precisely how much I spent on the firewood, plus a tidy profit.

I think that the desire to cover costs is where all the utility bullshit and fraud is coming from, is what I'm getting at.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Toilet paper, but on the blockchain

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aramis posted:

it sounds like saying that you can increase Voltage in an electrical circuit by increasing the Resistance because V = R*I.

You can. Ohm's Law is just a relationship between voltage and current. It works both ways. If you hold current the same and increase the resistance then voltage has to increase.

Voltage amplifiers will take advantage of this.

If it sounds weird, think of it like when you put a nozzle on your garden hose (or use your thumb) to make the water shoot out faster. You're increasing the resistance of the hose but water is still flowing into it at the same rate so it has to speed up when it hits the nozzle.

I don't think electricity prices back bitcoin prices though so I agree with you there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DailyLoud/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Edit Tay 2.0 lol

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 26, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

King Carnivore posted:

Toilet paper, but on the blockchain

Bogchain

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

VitalSigns posted:

You can. Ohm's Law is just a relationship between voltage and current. It works both ways. If you hold current the same and increase the resistance then voltage has to increase.

You skipped P= VI so sure increase voltage but at constant I, you're increasing power consumption.

Also, Prof. Dmitrevsky would be disappointed if I didn't state that Ohm's Law should be J = σE

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

*microdosing executive voice* What if... a chat bot, but also... a rapper?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

What about his hype man, FN Medina?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
lyrics all about about growing up on the hard streets of the uncanny valley

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Are AI rappers allowed to use the n-word in their lyrics? This is a question that is going to be for reals debated in the near future

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The guy voicing the AI rapper was a white guy who apparently dropped n-bombs frequently in the songs, so it's being debated right now.

The consensus seems to be "no".

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Knormal posted:

The guy voicing the AI rapper was a white guy who apparently dropped n-bombs frequently in the songs, so it's being debated right now.

jesus christ lmao

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
not a real big surprise here but

the white guy who made a black vtuber to say slurs with didnt make good music

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Knormal posted:

lol this is so bad. :P

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Knormal posted:

How did they not cobble together a Hatsune Miku-type deal where it's a completely computer-generated voice to specifically avoid this problem?

Oh, right, they're idiots.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Or maybe have the black person portrayed by a black person instead of doing digital black face.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

King Carnivore posted:

Or maybe have the black person portrayed by a black person instead of doing digital black face.

I think the point is if you actually have a guy, any guy, actually rapping, then how on earth is that a digital rapper and not just "a rapper".

And even if they somehow did fully embrace the digital performer thing, Gorillaz has been doing that exact schtick successfully for ages, and to a far higher quality/standard.

Like everything else crypto, it's just a big loving neon sign saying WTF

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This pose screams Johnny Five Aces to me lmao. Look at those legs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KinkyJohn posted:

Are AI rappers allowed?

Here, a better question, and the answer is a resounding no

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

This is what executives believe "cool" is.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

steinrokkan posted:

Here, a better question, and the answer is a resounding no

I'm prepared to allow it, just to see if they immediately speedrun to getting in feuds with and murdering each other.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Why is Bloomberg paying to advertise crypto on Twitter? Shouldn't they at least pretend to be an impartial news source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
What's up with the Gorillaz, did they ever get cancelled?