Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does this make it better or even worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ed's still a stupid jackass and I hate the boomerism of a pair of well off middle aged adults with white collar careers whining about spending any money at all.

This Phantom story is so weirdly indulgent that I want the actual Phantom in the actual present to just reach over and punch Mozz in the jaw. "Oooh yeah I stand up, reflect on how correct Mozz was all along, all the people trying to kill me respectfully stop to watch my last moments..."

Arnold has grown on me, it's not a very good strip but it has a good grasp on humor.

Trail back to rushed art again. So it was like 3 days on, now it's off? Maybe they're done in batches and powered through after the clear point where Jules regrets getting selected to continue the IP. When you give up on backgrounds and off-model characters while abandoning detail between panels, that's out!

Speaking of I forgot this yesterday:

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

You ever just forget to draw half a gun? Or maybe in panel 3 half a man? Rip is usually a lot better than this and I'll give the art occasional once overs. Just a rare :laffo: I suppose.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

This is just too adorable. :3:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vargo posted:

Curtis

WHO CARES?! You apparently have tons of these things! Just give them to everyone! Why would you even build in a fail-safe like this?! This is Hollbrook-level stupid.

At the very least, tell the recipients about the condition. Even the faerie do that, if only to laugh when the recipient (or their unscrupulous family members) breach the Condition, and blame themselves or each other for the loss.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And that condition leaves the seller still holding the buyer's cash.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

you, foolish: he's a sex trafficer
haraiso days, genius: he's a sex worker

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Missed posting my comics this morning because newspapers.com was like a Youtube ad after five seconds -- that's OUT! But here they are now.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/24/02

Brenda Starr 5/5-7/49

Spoilered for racism above and beyond the call of duty.

Smokey Stover 10/2/49

Spoilered for more incidental racism.

Everyday Movies 7/5/35

"Lord, these country beds! Now the first thing they'll ask when I go down is 'How did you sleep?' What'll I tell them?"

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Marlys should sue GdT for theft of the plot for The Shape of Water

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 26-October 2, 1983)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Live by the Blamm, die by the Blamm.

We are still in Mozz's story.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 1, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 21-22, 1992)

Big Nate

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Called it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So, brief update on Boss Dharma. There are actually a couple of extra comics, I think because Park Sung-hoon's backlog had already gotten that far when Sports Donga told him they were cutting his pages. The newspaper itself was downsized and has not replaced Boss Dharma with a new comic. I'll translate those last two, just so they're all there. Still wondering what, if anything, to do next. I honestly wasn't sure how many people were even reading Boss Dharma, but it seems like more than I thought. Doing more Park Sung-hoon stuff probably isn't in the cards. Mother From Another Country is still stuck behind Kakao's aggressive anti-copypasting wall. Park Sung-hoon has also been posting these Schrodinger's Cat comics on his blog...but these are in a format I don't especially care for. The blog in question if you were wondering.

I do have a couple of ideas for other comics I might like to translate- neither current, since as Boss Dharma's downsizing shows, newspaper and print comics really just aren't a thing anymore in South Korea. Everything is webtoons, and while these aren't bad, the format is just way too radical a departure to be on brand for the thread. I was thinking in particular of The Demons of Baseball, a hugely influential comic from the eighties that did a lot to distinguish South Korean comics as a style from Japanese ones. Nearly everyone in South Korea is at least familiar with the comic's memetic imagery, even if not everyone knows what it's from.

The Demons of Baseball was really more a comic book than a newspaper comic, though, if that matters. The Wandering Culinarian, however, did start out in a newspaper, despite eventually moving online, much like Chief Dharma did for a spell, ultimately maintaining the same structure. Neither of these titles are especially directly translated. Part of how they can be identified as being from a different era and a very specific cultural context is their casual use of weird Korean words with no direct English equivalents. Just, like, with baseball stuff and food stuff instead of office stuff. I'm toying with the idea of just doing both and alternating when I feel like it. Because hey, it's what Giant Ethicist does.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
...is missing a page of the paper scans, which unfortunately happens to be the page that has all of my comics except Nancy.

So let's skip ahead a day, shall we?

"She wants time to think about marrying a guy she's known for like a week, can you believe that?"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 26, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 18, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo, I finally caught back up. I just wanted to say, I've been liking Arnold, but every once in a while there's one that's like, oh right, this guy apparently became a priest. Also, I'm liking Marlys, and sad about Boss Dharma.

Dinky and Jenny Sunday Adventures Mar 30, 1941

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

So you're telling me a shrimp fried this rice?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Live by the Blamm, die by the Blamm.

We are still in Mozz's story.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No Rhymes with Orange today because neither Comics Kingdom nor Arcamax are cooperating.

Get Fuzzy 8/25/02

Brenda Starr 5/8/49

Smokey Stover 10/9/49

Everyday Movies 7/8/35

"I figured I'd have to reshingle the roof, but the 'Gazette' says it's going to be a dry summer. I think I'll wait and see if they're right."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 7/8/35

"I figured I'd have to reshingle the roof, but the 'Gazette' says it's going to be a dry summer. I think I'll wait and see if they're right."

I suppose I shouldn't complain since at least it's not racist or something, but I don't think I like these strips where the joke seems to be that it would be funny if poor people talked about things in the same way the middle class does.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 14, 1952)

I don't mean this as a complaint, but I'm not sure if "druid" is the right term for a Norse priest. I thought that was a Celtic/Gaulish name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"It's totally not poison that will kill you dead!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

A perfect time to repost the best Nancy of all time

manero
Jan 30, 2006

E: ^^^^^^^ lol

Nancy 1947

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This guy's a terrible coach, huh?

catlord posted:

Dinky and Jenny Sunday Adventures Mar 30, 1941

"Man to man, Rick won his respect?" CYRIL IS A CHILD. HE NEARLY KILLED YOU TWICE.

Also dang, look at that chode of a plane.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Green Intern posted:

This guy's a terrible coach, huh?

The reason given before that his players lost all the time last season is that they didn't listen to him. So Holbrook intends for him to be a great coach but also believes a coach just doesn't bother with his team at al the entire rest of the year between seasons.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: Green Door

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

My best joke, barely visible to the naked eye, is in panel 2.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 26, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis what the gently caress is this

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Everything has a cost.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Curtis storyline has been dumb as hell but a goofy cartoony conflict is right up Billingsley's ally. :allears:

Perfect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't believe the NYC grocery store owners are going to nuke Flyspeck Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J