Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Yesterday, I got a call from E-ville, Illinois, and I calmed myself and answered the phone... and it was a plumbing service I've used, offering to come out and maintain my HVAC system. Poop.

Today, the bike shop in E-ville called, and they had a much happier message. So, I skipped back day at the gym to go and pick up babby's first road bike.

For an entry-level bike, I'm a little amazed at how light it is and how smooth it shifts. Took a few tries to get the seat height right (they had someone there watching me zip around), and it still might need to come up a little more, but this works for now. I love the gearing. It's weird feeling the bike lurch forward when I really lean into the pedals, but I'll get used to it.

It came with basic platform pedals, so those'll do for right now, especially since I'm still getting used to how the shifting works. The guy there told me that I'll definitely want to upgrade when I notice the fatigue, but since this is my first road bike, I might want to get used to riding it first.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

tarlibone posted:

Yesterday, I got a call from E-ville, Illinois, and I calmed myself and answered the phone... and it was a plumbing service I've used, offering to come out and maintain my HVAC system. Poop.

Today, the bike shop in E-ville called, and they had a much happier message. So, I skipped back day at the gym to go and pick up babby's first road bike.

For an entry-level bike, I'm a little amazed at how light it is and how smooth it shifts. Took a few tries to get the seat height right (they had someone there watching me zip around), and it still might need to come up a little more, but this works for now. I love the gearing. It's weird feeling the bike lurch forward when I really lean into the pedals, but I'll get used to it.

It came with basic platform pedals, so those'll do for right now, especially since I'm still getting used to how the shifting works. The guy there told me that I'll definitely want to upgrade when I notice the fatigue, but since this is my first road bike, I might want to get used to riding it first.

"Nice". You're going to shocked at how much faster / easier you cover distances on that bike compared to even the sharpest of your previous ones. Happy riding!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a bike. it's the first bike ive ridden in ~15 years

the seat is a little higher now. but not much, im still figuring out how to not die on this thing

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
That's neat. Reminds me a little of my Escape, except for the shocks up front. You planning on doing some off-roading?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, i live about a mile and a half from a wildlife preserve that has some mountain bike trails. i have little to no desire to actually go on the legit bike trails, but i'd like to at least go on the fire road and all. i figured that this would be ok for doing that, while also letting me dork around the suburbs reasonably comfortably

it might be too big though, i'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and a 71" wingspan

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Sometime I just sit and stare at the paint job on this bike…

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 20, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

eeenmachine posted:

Sometime I just sit and stare at the paint job on this bike…

The Cervelo is so hot right now

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
:perfect:

HOT DAAAAAAAAMN!!!! I didn't realize these Cervelos came in purple??

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

rngd in the womb posted:

Definitely not my bicycle, but the new Giant Propel comes in a nice deep purple and I want one

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

rngd in the womb posted:

The A$pero 5 comes in 2 amazing color shifting paint options, pineapple sunset (purple > green) and lime shimmer (gold > green).... or boring matte black (WHYYYYY).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Development
Jun 2, 2016

:five:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

This guy was 40$ at the local goodwill. When I saw it I thought "eh seems like a good deal but I have enough bikes". Next morning I ended up getting up really early and waiting at the door before it opened to snatch it! It's amazingly clean and seems to be all original parts, but I don't know much about these bikes.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Colonel J posted:

This guy was 40$ at the local goodwill. When I saw it I thought "eh seems like a good deal but I have enough bikes". Next morning I ended up getting up really early and waiting at the door before it opened to snatch it! It's amazingly clean and seems to be all original parts, but I don't know much about these bikes.

Uh that's an incredible steal. That bike is probably worth 10-20x that. What does the rear derailer say?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Colonel J posted:

Wtf

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Yeah I don't know. My best guess is that someone cleaned up a dead relative's garage and didn't know what they had.

The rear derailer has nothing written, just a logo, I'll try and take a pic later. The rest of the groupset is marked Campagnolo and the front derailer has the same logo.

That evening where I changed my mind, I posted it on the closest large city's cycling group and my inbox got flooded with people telling me they'd buy it from me.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

:eyepop: please post more pictures that looks amazing

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Crankset kinda makes it look like its a Triomphe groupset (https://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?GroupID=6fcbebf5-b6ea-4beb-8dbb-782865a31640) but the brake levers are different :shrug:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Holy hell

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I have backtracked through this thread but couldn't find it so maybe it was in another thread, but there was a goon posting in here whose partner was making bike bags based in the Wellington region? I'm maybe keen on a burrito style bag and would like to support local if I can.

Cheers! We're all moved into the new house now and the sweatshop is fully operational.

And for some thread content, here's a family photo now that I've got all the bike hooks installed in the garage. These aren't all mine! They're 50/50 between myself and Amy.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Got my longer i9 stem installed on the Sherpa, so here is a Discord pic for the forums folk. I loving love this bike.
Definitely not "done" yet, I want to cut the steerer down, move Garmin to top cap, get a gold seatpost collar and next chain for aesthetics. Faster tires and XT rd/shifter for performance. Oh, and a new fender.* Eventually.
The i9 gold color is a little more yellow than the Wolf Tooth, but I think it'll be less noticeable with the top cap swapped. It's already a pretty mild difference.

*Integrated bolt-on fenders were a great idea for newer forks, but the screws come loose constantly and they're tucked so tight up against the stanchions that I can't actually tighten/loosen them easily with a normal hex wrench. Lost one of the screws in a crash and had to gently caress with the other for 15 minutes to get the thing off so I could ride out of the woods.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Love that build. What do you think of those pedals?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The lake was really pretty today

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Bud Manstrong posted:

Love that build. What do you think of those pedals?

Thanks, I'm super proud of it and it's just going to get more dialed in and upgraded over time. I really like the pedals, I haven't used any other nice flats extensively but these are sexy as hell and I really like the shape to them. I like to have the axle a bit behind the ball of my foot and the shape lets me feel the scoop up at the front and the rear edge, and the outside above the axle where it ramps up a little. There are probably grippier pedals out there (Chromag Daggas? 5Dev?) but I'd absolutely recommend these if the price isn't too scary for someone.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm getting a bike for my partner's sister

Got this bike for $25

Catch is...

Had to cycle 10km to get there, and another ten wheeling this bike with a flat front

I've given everything a flush, oiled, turned screws, changed tubes and tyres etc

Come out pretty good, rides deceptively smooth, I'm just adding a trunk for groceries and it's away, probably some time next week

Edit

It's done!
Being delivered this evening

Jestery fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 2, 2022

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That bike looks dope and worth way more than $25. Nice work!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's spring at last

Been for a few rides recently and it's been good

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Been for a few rides recently and it's been good

Awesome.

For my part, cycle shopping loving rules and I can finally do it properly now that I've got saddlebags

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Awesome.

For my part, cycle shopping loving rules and I can finally do it properly now that I've got saddlebags

That is a serious good load on that bike, nice!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

We doing cycle shopping loads?

This in my fortnightly (or so) shop on my cruiser cum cargo bike

My 1st gear is nowhere near low enough, but it's flat or downhill on the way home from the shops, it gets a bit squirrelly, but it's not a race to get home

Folding wire panniers loving rule

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 8, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a serious good load on that bike, nice!

Thanks dude, it's not maxed out yet but I fully intend to test the value of SUPER CHARGED OVER SIZE tubing, as well as what a Nexus hub will put up with before exploding.

Jestery posted:

We doing cycle shopping loads?

This in my fortnightly (or so) shop on my cruiser cum cargo

My 1st gear is nowhere near low enough, but it's flat or downhill on the way home from the shops

Folding wire panniers loving rule

Those look like a similar design to what I've got in the front and they do rule, I was going to go for a setup like yours until I decided to compromise toward weatherproof-ness and stuff.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The plastic tub on the back is functionally weather proof with the lid on (though capacity is lessened), and the rainbow bag on the right does double duty as a waterproof load cover and shopping bag

:)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ddiddles posted:

Just put together my new bike, been riding ebikes forever and I've forgotten you have to exert yourself to go anywhere on a normal bike. It's pretty awesome.

Every time I get on the road bike after commuting on a 35kg e-cargo bike the first thing in my mind is always "gently caress me the steering's twitchy!", always followed by weeeeeeeee

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

evil_bunnY posted:

Every time I get on the road bike after commuting on a 35kg e-cargo bike the first thing in my mind is always "gently caress me the steering's twitchy!", always followed by weeeeeeeee

Nothing beats putting your head down and just ripping around.

I bought another green bike to do the same thing but down a mountain (probably with my head up this time)

Polygon Siskiu D7

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Colonel J posted:

Yeah I don't know. My best guess is that someone cleaned up a dead relative's garage and didn't know what they had.

The rear derailer has nothing written, just a logo, I'll try and take a pic later. The rest of the groupset is marked Campagnolo and the front derailer has the same logo.

That evening where I changed my mind, I posted it on the closest large city's cycling group and my inbox got flooded with people telling me they'd buy it from me.

Marinoni is still in business today and if you provide them with a serial number, they can tell you the date of manufacture as well as what the tubing is....probably Columbus SL/SP but you might as well verify it.

Great find, is it your size?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Tiny bike for tiny rides

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I went for a ride today.

Not majestic like those amazing mountain photos, but it was a great ride.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that blueish-green is lovely

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

e.pilot posted:

that blueish-green is lovely

When I ordered I didn't expect to like it as much, but I LOVE this bike. The color being one I like (in person) makes it even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

green kingfisher
May 23, 2022
I miss having a bike so bad.

I get overwhelmed when trying to decide on what I want now and living in Los Angeles makes me feel like such a scared rabbit about the prospect of riding in the city proper.

If I just wanted to do some trails(concrete and dirt) what would be my best option?

Explain it to me like I'm as stupid as I sound please :/