Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Scientastic posted:

Jesus loving Christ what happened to being concerned with great affairs of state? How can we be in a position where any politician in the UK would say something so incredibly stupid. Like, “blah blah, we may disagree in our politics, but we definitely agree on fundamentals of democratic process blah blah” is boring, but it’s not irredeemably loving dumb

She observed that Boris made flippant comments and was popular with the Tory base and is trying to do the same.

The difference is that she is shockingly bad at it because she very obviously has no sense of humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Full n word by the end of the month.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

They've got tuppence happening left and they are spending it on this?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

They've got tuppence happening left and they are spending it on this?

When everyone in charge spends all their time in the Westminster bubble, the only thing important is getting noticed by the press.

It's a shame, therefore, that everyone in charge is too stupid to realise that the press' interest is 95% on the Tory leadership election and 5% on "hey, why are prices going up?"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I better buy some loving cheese then

Inflation bonanza!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's called Swiss cheese and that's not what the holes are for.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

clotted trotters

can we also take a moment to discuss the gentleman on the right, this is postmodern Britain imho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/25/big-energy-firms-refuse-to-supply-small-uk-businesses-bankruptcy-fears-contracts

quote:

Big energy firms are refusing to supply small businesses out of concern they could go bust, while some are demanding £10,000 upfront, business owners and industry experts have told the Guardian.

In the latest sign of the deepening energy crisis, business owners said they were struggling to find a supplier in the run-up to the busy October period for renewing gas and electricity contracts, leaving them facing “extortionate” bills or demands for a deposit.

Suppliers named as having refused service, or asked for a downpayment, include SSE, Scottish Power, E.On Next, Drax and Ecotricity.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Hungry posted:

Restarting the Hundred Years War for shits and giggles.

To be fair, the Treaty of Picquigny only specified a seven-year truce, a bunch of cash payments, and a marriage. Nowhere in the treaty did it say that England would be in violation if she nuked France.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Diet Crack posted:

can we also take a moment to discuss the gentleman on the right, this is postmodern Britain imho
Wait a second, I've seen that face before somewhere...

kecske posted:

every prime minister since 1945 morphed into one:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Camrath posted:

I use Judge pans (well, 10l Stockpots) over an induction hob for my fudgemaking, and can confirm- they’re bloody brilliant. Somehow manage to both heat the mix quicker and burn it less than using gas.

Butter’s gone up another 15p and cream 20p since last week at my local Morrisons. They’ve also dropped a load of lines of flavourings and home-baking stuff, which is a huge loving pain.

I wanted to ask this the last time you mentioned something. Are you really buying your ingredients in a normal shop? Are there no Engros shops for businesses like e.g topcc or prodega etc like we have in CH?
They’re not necessarily (much) cheaper, but they have things in bigger amounts. (Be careful about VAT).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

every prime minister since 1945 morphed into one:

This is the head of the Irish entertainer Gay Burne with the eyes of the past Irish PM Charles Haughey.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

We think you are going to go bust so we'd like to expedite that

We'd prefer to make the same money we always have supplying 10% of the product for 100% of the price.

And in consumer world, Ofgem has raised the price cap to £3549.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Weird how neither of the Tory candidates are interested in actually doing anything about the energy crisis. Or reflect at all on why England is so far behind other European countries in terms of insulation or heating methods.

I was a bit uncertain about how the "price cap" worked and how many people got their energy bills "capped" but it turns out not to work like that at all.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you
Tldr it's actually a maximum unit and standing price, there's no total cap where you start using stuff for free. The numbers quoted are the bill for an average household on a unit-capped tarif

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Here's a question for any vegans who post here:

Truffles - are they vegan?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Why would they not be?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

This is the head of the Irish entertainer Gay Burne with the eyes of the past Irish PM Charles Haughey.

Thought i recognised him. :lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

We think you are going to go bust so we'd like to expedite that

We'd prefer to make the same money we always have supplying 10% of the product for 100% of the price.

And in consumer world, Ofgem has raised the price cap to £3549.

Just to be clear, that's three and a half thousand quid over what time period?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mega Comrade posted:

Why would they not be?

I assume due to the traditional use of animals to find them? I'm not sure where vegans would stand on the use of animal labour in agriculture but I assume it's a pass.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

notaspy posted:

Depends on how you feel about fungi at the end of the day, a fancy mushroom.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

When do you think MI5/MI6/GCHQ/Chelsea Pensioners will quietly take Truss out?

Because surely they can't have someone like her running around spouting the kind of poo poo she has been doing?!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Kegluneq posted:

I assume due to the traditional use of animals to find them? I'm not sure where vegans would stand on the use of animal labour in agriculture but I assume it's a pass.

Oh right. Well I suppose it depends on you are asking an actual vegan or a holier than though arsehole who uses veganism to feed their ego.

Google tells me PETA don't think it's vegan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

notaspy posted:

Ultimately that depends on the vegan, it's not as clear cut as dairy or honey. If you were wanting a clear answer I'd probably lean towards no, but that's just one guy's opinion

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The Naked Gun 2 1/2 hitting a bit close to home these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0La3aBSjvGY

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

notaspy posted:

I would default to not eating them since I don't trust whoever is in charge to not be poo poo to animals to find them, I suppose, but I've never given it much thought. If a friend found some while out with their pet pig who I know is treated well I won't turn that down. :shrug:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's almost all dogs now.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dead Goon posted:

When do you think MI5/MI6/GCHQ/Chelsea Pensioners will quietly take Truss out?

Because surely they can't have someone like her running around spouting the kind of poo poo she has been doing?!

Boris back within 18 months as Truss gets the blame for all of the consequences we're about to endure from his rule. He'll at least have the decency to continue to blame Labour for it all, though

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

notaspy posted:

Yeah, almost always, since they can just be farmed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Depends if you're a hardcore vegan who won't drive though towns with ham in the name (copyright Bill Bailey)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Depends if you're a hardcore vegan who won't drive though towns with ham in the name (copyright Bill Bailey)

Both Hammersmith and Buckingham palace will not survive the vegan revolution!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

It's almost all dogs now.

Which still deals with reasonable questions about welfare conditions of dogs, which can often be loving grim.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, almost always, since they can just be farmed.

...So can cows & yet vegans have a problem eating those?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Which still deals with reasonable questions about welfare conditions of dogs, which can often be loving grim.

...So can cows & yet vegans have a problem eating those?

Aye but truffles aren't alive like cows. I assume there's some lunatic out there who won't eat mushrooms for some reason, but I've never met them. I wouldn't mind farmed truffles if no animal labour was used, same as I don't mind regular mushrooms.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I thought the whole point of truffles was we hadn't figured out how to farm them so you have to follow your pig around the woods or whatever

But modern technology is magic I guess

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
What if the pig didn't know what a truffle was and just wanted a nice walk?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Maugrim posted:

I thought the whole point of truffles was we hadn't figured out how to farm them so you have to follow your pig around the woods or whatever

But modern technology is magic I guess

It's mostly dogs now apparently because the pigs kept just straight up eating the truffles they found. I've never heard anything about pigs that made me think they shouldn't be in charge.

Nilbop posted:

What if the pig didn't know what a truffle was and just wanted a nice walk?

Then it wouldn't be a sustainable business model! To your actual question it varies by person, but personally I wouldn't mind "incidental" animal labour. I had a friend who kept chickens, treated them very well, and every so often got the eggs that the chickens didn't eat themselves. I wouldn't have any moral issues with eating those eggs.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 26, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

Aye but truffles aren't alive like cows. I assume there's some lunatic out there who won't eat mushrooms for some reason, but I've never met them. I wouldn't mind farmed truffles if no animal labour was used, same as I don't mind regular mushrooms.

Obviously. I was just trying to be sarcastic because to my knowledge the "farming" of truffles is still kind of hit & miss & ultimately still involves dogs to sniff up where the truffle is. I think you have to seed a specific variety of sapling (hazelnut maybe? I forget) with truffle spores & just let nature take its course, which does mean that the location of the truffle is unknown, which separates it from growing tatties for example.

TBH I'm surprised no one has tried to make an electronic device that can detect the aromatic element of the truffle.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the chickens eat the eggs?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Miftan posted:

I've never heard anything about pigs that made me think they shouldn't be in charge.

You mean they aren't already?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Hah, I don't think BBC Breakfast were expecting Martin Lewis to just come on and go "Unless the government acts about energy bills right now thousands of people are going to die this winter"

Beeb: "So, any other tips? "
Martin: "I've been doing this for years and right now? I've got nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You mean they aren't already?

I mean it's possible they're massive masochists, but if they're not then I doubt it. Poor piggies.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the chickens eat the eggs?

Yeah, apparently.