Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

BonoMan posted:

I'm on the opposite end. It just doesn't ring funny at all to me. I mean you also just can't beat Chevy Chase in that role. He set the bar way too high.

Same. Jon Hamm is a funny guy in real life and it seems like he's always wanted to be viewed as a comedic actor. However, I've always found his scripted comedy skills to be pretty meh. His timing has always struck me as just slightly off, other times he tries to be funny by going big, but he's just not good at and the jokes don't land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How could you put Draper and Sterling in a movie and have it be that one.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I'm on the opposite end. It just doesn't ring funny at all to me. I mean you also just can't beat Chevy Chase in that role. He set the bar way too high.

I read all the books after I watched the films, and still think Chase was perfect. Hamm could have been good 10 years ago, without the clowning.
Biggest crime is of course, no Faltermeyer soundtrack.
[edit] Actually, biggest crime is that Flynn isn't in it. How do you get the rights to a book, but not all the characters in it?!

A trailer a few weeks before release is a very, very bad sign - even for a streaming movie.

CaptainN fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 26, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

for some reason I can appreciate all of Hamm's other work just fine, but watching a trailer of him being explicitly goofy and referring to himself as "adorable", all I could think about was that fraternity pledge he set on fire after falsely imprisoning him, fracturing his spine, pulverizing his kidneys, and using hammer on his genitals

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I dunno, seems like weird casting to me. Hamm worked in small comedy parts when he was playing against his own reputation as Don Draper. Now that that’s worn off a bit it doesn’t work as well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

God Hole posted:

for some reason I can appreciate all of Hamm's other work just fine, but watching a trailer of him being explicitly goofy and referring to himself as "adorable", all I could think about was that fraternity pledge he set on fire after falsely imprisoning him, fracturing his spine, pulverizing his kidneys, and using hammer on his genitals
Holy poo poo id never heard about this 👀

quote:

The actor, who was a 20-year-old sophomore at the time of the incident, was charged with hazing but not convicted. He instead received “deferred adjudication,” the AP reported, which under Texas law allows a case to be dismissed if the defendant successfully completes probation.

quote:

In a 2018 Esquire interview, when the actor was asked about his role in the hazing ritual, he replied, “It was a bummer of a thing that happened.”

The Top Gun: Maverick actor said the accounting of the events was not accurate and sensationalized. He explained his side of the situation, saying, “I was essentially acquitted. I wasn’t convicted of anything.” Hamm said his father “ended up dying in the middle of all of this, and I had to rally my own mental health and become a better person because of it.” He explained,

“I’m happy that I became a better person … Everyone goes through a weirdness as a young person, especially in college, when you’re trying to figure things out.”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God Hole posted:

I'm tempted to say Missouri gonna Missouri but that's not fair. My brother's ex-wife was fired from Mad Men because of Hamm but at the same time I've met him and he was awesome. People contain multitudes. Not trying to justify whatever happened, I have no idea what he was complicit of.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, that is a whole lot of yikes.

The hammer used on the genitals bit refers to him hooking the prong end of a hammer behind the person's genitals and using it as a threat to force them to walk around. Which is awful as hell, but at least not actually smashing nuts with a hammer, which is what the phrasing originally brought to mind.

How grim is a situation when "he didn't actually castrate a person with blunt force" is the best positive clarification you can make?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of bad celebrities. Weirdly the two times that I've worked on something with Tom Cruise he was magnificent. To the lowest PA to the highest investor, he was an absolute mensch. It definitely doesn't jive with my opinions on Scientology.

I did not know that about Hamm, that's for sure though.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 26, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bugblatter posted:

Man, that is a whole lot of yikes.

The hammer used on the genitals bit refers to him hooking the prong end of a hammer behind the person's genitals and using it as a threat to force them to walk around. Which is awful as hell, but at least not actually smashing nuts with a hammer, which is what the phrasing originally brought to mind.

How grim is a situation when "he didn't actually castrate a person with blunt force" is the best positive clarification you can make?

my bad, I didn't mean to misrepresent what actually happened, I was recounting from memory. but still, yikes

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kiimo posted:

I'm tempted to say Missouri gonna Missouri but that's not fair. My brother's ex-wife was fired from Mad Men because of Hamm but at the same time I've met him and he was awesome. People contain multitudes. Not trying to justify whatever happened, I have no idea what he was complicit of.

Your brothers ex-wife is Abigail Spencer?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah some more dets plz. Was it just a creative disagreement? Seems lovely to have someone be fired over it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
That Clash of the Titans trailer really sparked the music matching the action on screen sync trend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: on second thought this might trace back to me, sorry

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

i have already copied it and posted it on several other forums :evilbuddy:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

Speaking of bad celebrities. Weirdly the two times that I've worked on something with Tom Cruise he was magnificent. To the lowest PA to the highest investor, he was an absolute mensch. It definitely doesn't jive with my opinions on Scientology.

I did not know that about Hamm, that's for sure though.

I feel like every story I’ve heard about Cruise on a business level is some variation of this, he’s a genuinely good business partner who happens to be a high-ranking member in a violent cult

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bows1 posted:

I thought this tweet was about all the stupid quips not that its not OLDE ENGLISH

Once you watch the plays in original pronunciation you realize it's all quips and sex puns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

I didnt read it but sorry to Blow up your spot! None of this poo poo here matters as much as irl poo poo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1563385275992010752

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCNKdJ2CIJk

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czz-TcWCkA
That's my pick for biggest trailer/movie disparity. That trailer is still goddamn awesome. Also I'm fairly certain I've posted the exact same thing in this thread before.

yep agreed. the premise and setup seemed really good and they were finally going to do it right, and instead the most memorable thing we got was his rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8P5yN1njQ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They robbed us of Terry Crewes. Don't we just see his corpse and that's it? :lol:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is going to rule. With that first shot it had me thinking Al was going to be playing multiple parts in the movie, and until I looked up the cast I thought they actually got Dr. Demento to play himself.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Almost seems like a sequel to Walk Hard.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo I am sold on this, looks hilarious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's super bizarre cause obviously it's a lot of BS but maybe some parts aren't? Looks great otherwise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

It's super bizarre cause obviously it's a lot of BS but maybe some parts aren't? Looks great otherwise.

Yeah I remember reading a story (maybe in the New Yorker?) about how Al got his start and it was playing to his college friends. So it's like heightened realism? Interesting...

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

The real story would be really boring with the biggest drama being "new album wasn't a megahit" until his parents die in a gas leak and it becomes a mega bummer

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do prefer this being fantastical and tongue-in-cheek, like, a fake biopic, cuz any kind of serious reverence about Weird Al would be pretty corny and stupid. I really don't care that weird white guys keep telling me he makes "good music" or whatever, just give me something willing to laugh at itself. Better to go as far into the Dewey Cox direction as possible.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Weird Al trailer was an unexpected delight. Daniel Radcliffe is a great comedic talent. The first comedy I saw him in was Swiss Army Man which had me in stitches so I think I'm always willing to give him a shot in roles like this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I do prefer this being fantastical and tongue-in-cheek, like, a fake biopic, cuz any kind of serious reverence about Weird Al would be pretty corny and stupid. I really don't care that weird white guys keep telling me he makes "good music" or whatever, just give me something willing to laugh at itself. Better to go as far into the Dewey Cox direction as possible.

I fully agree. Dude makes parody songs so it's only fitting he gets a parody biopic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Flinger posted:

The real story would be really boring with the biggest drama being "new album wasn't a megahit" until his parents die in a gas leak and it becomes a mega bummer
Yeah the Behind the Music special on him was like that; I did read an article interview with him and his whole writing process is kind of insane in how he goes into a sort of zone to make parody lyrics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doc Fission posted:

Weird Al trailer was an unexpected delight. Daniel Radcliffe is a great comedic talent. The first comedy I saw him in was Swiss Army Man which had me in stitches so I think I'm always willing to give him a shot in roles like this.

If you haven't seen it yet he kills it on the tv show Miracle Workers. Each season is a new story and so far he's played a caveman angel answering prayers, the weenie prince of a medieval kingdom and a pastor leading a group of folks along the Oregon Trail.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He was absolutely perfect as the weenie prince.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As always, I mention The F Word (or What If?) as a great rom-com Radcliffe excels in. Though Adam Driver is in it and is even better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The first time I knew was in Extras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR51ffKl0A

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Its insane that they turned a parody trailer from years ago into a real movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNuiri2dV0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite thing about the Weird Al trailer is the very obvious dubbing when he sings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This looks like a parody of biopics, so basically it's perfect. The "I'm the weird one!" line sold the concept, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

This looks like a parody of biopics, so basically it's perfect. The "I'm the weird one!" line sold the concept, lmao.

i'm fully onboard the theory that Weird Al banged Madonna, because if anyone could do that and not tell about it, it would be him