Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Defunctland would definitely apply too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“We ask ourselves questions such as ‘is it real if there’s a photograph of it? Can that photograph be trusted?’ and ‘What am I even looking at?‘ Those and more swirl round and round about the events that happened at Agua Dulce. And maybe, if we look deep, and we’re lucky, we might get a hint of an answer. But it might be an answer we may not want to know.

I’m Aaron Mahnke, and this… is Lore.”

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

deety posted:

While I agree that Em comes off as abrasive at first, which seems pretty intentional, her behavior completely clicked for me as soon as she brought up the story of the first Jean Jacket.

We're introduced to Em by Otis Sr. asking where she's been, and then by her lateness and over-the-top presentation. At that point it's natural to just assume that she's a flake. Then we find out that one of her formative memories is that broken promise to let her train Jean Jacket. That was supposed to be Em's first big role in the family business. It was this hugely significant thing for her, but then she realizes that teaching her wasn't as important to her father. He was okay with putting her off out of convenience. I'm sure he had his reasons, and depending on the financial circumstances of the ranch at that time, they might have made sense. But that doesn't change the fact that as a young girl, Em was looking forward to having her dad show her the ropes with Jean Jacket, and instead Otis Sr. was down in the ring with OJ, who was also still fairly young and inexperienced at the time. I'm going to guess that wasn't the only time that the daughter of the family felt more pushed aside than the son who shared their father's name.

It's also implied that Jean Jacket was the beginning of trouble at Haywood's Hollywood Horses. It's not stated but the dialogue hints that there was an accident on the set of Scorpion King that JJ died and/or injured/killed someone and, as Antlers Holst brings up, the filmmakers ended up switching to camels. The fact that Em couldn't didn't train the horse and it ended up dying on its first film would definitely cause a big rift between her and the rest of the family.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Young Freud posted:

It's also implied that Jean Jacket was the beginning of trouble at Haywood's Hollywood Horses. It's not stated but the dialogue hints that there was an accident on the set of Scorpion King that JJ died and/or injured/killed someone and, as Antlers Holst brings up, the filmmakers ended up switching to camels. The fact that Em couldn't didn't train the horse and it ended up dying on its first film would definitely cause a big rift between her and the rest of the family.

I understood OJ's comment about them eventually using camels as just highlighting the capriciousness of the Hollywood/fame hustle. Their entire life is training these horses, and the difference between success and failure is whatever Chuck Russell feels like one random morning.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It may be relevant that there is in fact a scene in the scorpion king in which the main character gets camels instead of horses for their journey, because “camels are smarter.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the Dead Eyes podcast is a great eye opener in how decisions that costs thousands and affect the lives and businesses of people are made at the snap of a finger and are just a drop in the multitude of decisions being made on set that day.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Defunctland would definitely apply too
Warning! This podcast includes dead horses, child stars, and balloon trauma... all this and vore on Podcast the Ride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was a recent 1-900-HOTDOG article (basically where a bunch of the best former Cracked writers went after giving up on the place) about a show that immediately gave me Gordy's Home vibes and I'm apparently not the only one.

https://1900hotdog.com/2022/08/nerding-day-going-bananas-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Someone should ask Jordan Peele if he ever saw this show.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Orangutans are not monkeys :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Opopanax posted:

Orangutans are not monkeys :argh:

Ook. :hmmyes:

Stockholm
Apr 6, 2010
Saw it for the second time today and it was as much of a blast as the first time. I got to focus more on Steven Yeun and truly this man already sold me on Jupes trauma but his spiel during the Star Lasso Experience is some top notch acting. Right from the "you were chosen!" to his voice breaking right before he introduces his very first crush. Chef's kiss but better. Chef's handjob

The genre flip was a lot clearer now, as well. From the moment Ant enters the stage the music is more uplifting, action-packed and the film seems to lean fully into an action/adventure genre as to the thriller/suspense themes and dark, gory shots from the first 2/3rds.

Love a good monster flick. Y'all are right, it's Jaws

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

The nomenclature has changed from UFO to UAP, Unidentified Aerial People-eater

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vanilla Bison posted:

The nomenclature has changed from UFO to UAP, Unidentified Aerial People-eater

OEOHFPPE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nope (2022)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

For the above reasons, I think Jupe Is the most interesting character in the movie

Yeah I kinda wish we had more of him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

This is worse than the digestion scene.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Hey here's something totally inconsequential that's stuck in my head. Is this a false memory, or is their handshake shot from a different angle in the trailer than it is in the final cut? (2m2s below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHlzGkux4M&t=121s

in the trailer OJ says "I don't think they take you..." and in the actual movie in the diner scene he says "I don't think it eats you..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The international trailer is a lot different from the reveal ones, a LOT more focus on Emerald and OJ and a brief rather spoilery shot, but barely anything of Jupe and nothing of Gordy or the aliens.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dunno if this was mentioned earlier but I thought the digestion scenes reminded me of the low budget effects used to great… effect… in Under The Skin. It’s like just a few cloth sheets

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Really liked this movie even though it had its rough spots.

I loved that Peele acknowledged the only way an Asian-American kid could become a sitcom star in the 90s was if he was Webster-ed into a white family.

Jupe's POV under the table was the first time I've had to look away from a movie screen in a long time, it was so uncomfortable.

I want someone to make an alternate poster in the style of E.T.'s "glowing finger" art only it's Jupe and Gordy's bloody fistbump.

I always love it when a movie shows me something I've never seen visualized before, and Peele seems to excel at that. Even though I had the Jean Jacket reveal spoiled for me, I was really impressed with how it played out on the screen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Stockholm posted:

Saw it for the second time today and it was as much of a blast as the first time. I got to focus more on Steven Yeun and truly this man already sold me on Jupes trauma but his spiel during the Star Lasso Experience is some top notch acting. Right from the "you were chosen!" to his voice breaking right before he introduces his very first crush. Chef's kiss but better. Chef's handjob

I really liked his delivery of the line "here we go" for some reason.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

I want someone to make an alternate poster in the style of E.T.'s "glowing finger" art only it's Jupe and Gordy's bloody fistbump.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It bugged me that when OJ does his final eyes on me-eyes on you gesture to Em, his fingers aren't really pointing the right direction. But, you know, he doesn't like looking people right in the eyes....

It's a movie about people in the entertainment industry getting chewed up and spat out by The Viewers (thnx Jupe). The "safety talk" is a performance, the monster-slaying is a performance, Jupe expresses trauma through performances (including a SNL bit), his kids mess with their neighbour through a kind of performance, JJ's threat display can be considered a performance, the Haywood legacy is a performance, and on and on. Only Angel, on the edges of Movie World, expresses any kind of doubt about Getting The Shot. The others never really question it, and even die doing it; it's just what they do.

(Also the worst thing about being digested by JJ is that apparently it really really hurts and takes a long time. Ughh.)

e: oohh poster!!!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thank you.

The horse silhouetted against the moon was the missing piece I didn’t know it needed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely think that the final shot was meant to be ambiguous - not in what it showed, but in what it signified. It's all over, they've got their Oprah shot and killed the dangerous animal, and now we've got a nice triumphant image of man's victory over nature harkening back to the earliest days of Hollywood... but now we've seen how the sausage is made, is that a victory we can celebrate?

I don't think it's a coincidence that JJ is at its most beautiful when it's injured, crippled, and being lured to its death in the name of amusement and curiosity. It's not Hollywood, it's not a personification of oppression, it's just something unique and special that we showered in our filth and turned into a spectacle.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It also showered them in filth, literally, the filth of Ricky's Star Lasso Spectacle Experience Of Death.

edit someone already brought up Michael Wincott and The Crow with this right? Not only the way lack of safety protocols and good old fashioned Hollywood shittiness destroys us, but literally that it was being filmed for a DTV release and only after Brandon Lee's death did the Weinsteins buy it up, force actors back onto the set (including Michael Massee, recreating the scene where he accidentally shot a man to death) and finished the movie for a theatrical release because of the spectacle of a dead star

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

It also showered them in filth, literally, the filth of Ricky's Star Lasso Spectacle Experience Of Death.

edit someone already brought up Michael Wincott and The Crow with this right? Not only the way lack of safety protocols and good old fashioned Hollywood shittiness destroys us, but literally that it was being filmed for a DTV release and only after Brandon Lee's death did the Weinsteins buy it up, force actors back onto the set (including Michael Massee, recreating the scene where he accidentally shot a man to death) and finished the movie for a theatrical release because of the spectacle of a dead star

I mean, yeah, victims hurting each other as a consequence of their victimisation is a pretty major thing in this film. It's the point of the Gordy connection - to show us exactly why JJ is worthy of both our fear and our sympathy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ is kind of a dick tbh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

JJ is kind of a dick tbh

Is it really? It just seemed to me like a hungry, territorial animal that was turned into a greater and greater danger because humanity just couldn't shake their addiction to manufacturing Content (TM) and leave it the gently caress alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah bc it’s a big giant monster that floats around and eats people. Kinda dickish if you ask me!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah bc it’s a big giant monster that floats around and eats people. Kinda dickish if you ask me!

I did generally get the vibe that it wouldn't eat people if they weren't quite so intent on feeding themselves to it, though. Like, maybe the hikers were blameless, but even that doesn't seem guaranteed in the context of the rest of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think jaws is a dick too tbh lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's much of an rear end in a top hat as any other predator, including humans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agreed. Also including The Predator

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed. Also including The Predator

Naah, the Predator is a fully sapient Great White Hunter rear end in a top hat who's deliberately seeking out sapient life to kill it for shits and giggles, not just an animal whose territory you can stay out of.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it really? It just seemed to me like a hungry, territorial animal that was turned into a greater and greater danger because humanity just couldn't shake their addiction to manufacturing Content (TM) and leave it the gently caress alone.

I mean that escalated a situation that would have been a persistent slow burn. The dad died at the start of the film from the pocket change from people. radio mentioned missing hikers at some point. It was eating people and horses on the regular and there wasn't an indication in the movie that it would stop

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vishass posted:

I mean that escalated a situation that would have been a persistent slow burn. The dad died at the start of the film from the pocket change from people. radio mentioned missing hikers at some point. It was eating people and horses on the regular and there wasn't an indication in the movie that it would stop

As I said, though, it would be thematically appropriate for the dad to have died as collateral damage because the hikers did something incredibly loving stupid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pELxwTp7gk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also JJ went over to the Haywood’s house and deuced out 40+ people’s chunks for the sake of being an rear end. JJ is a rude alien!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

JJ is a giant horrible thoughtless predator gunning for the apex spot and I have zero remorse about exterminating every single member of its species on our planet.