Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bedshaped posted:

Hideo Kojima already made an MMO game which captured the best parts of traversing a desolate wasteland and called it Death Stranding :colbert:

that's not an MMO, it's a Strand game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Koobze posted:

Regarding Vintage Story, I was enjoying the grind of searching for iron until I wasn't anymore, and also winter hit and it turned out that my house was too big to count as enclosed. I need to read up on what is required to survive winter - I had food stocks enough but no winter clothes. I read that rooms can only be max 7x7x7 tiles with doors (and not trap doors) so my 3-floor house which used trapdoors was too big and even though I had a campfire going my dude was shivering constantly. Despite the kind of lame ending I did learn more this time around - like the fact that regularly repairing your own clothes is important and it takes a lot of flax, the room size thing, winter is cold etc. I'll probably do another run once the next version comes along (soonish I hope?) and hopefully survive longer.

As far as the prospecting goes, I think it could be drastically improved by being clearer about what it reports - like I've stood in front of copper and done the density search and it said there was no copper somehow - and also by covering a larger range. It would be a big improvement if it showed the same data it does now, but instead of just for your current chunk it would show the neighbouring ones in a + pattern. I mainly want to see the change in the readings between chunks to find the local maximums and running around digging holes gets tedious. Maybe using the node search mode but with a high setting like 50+ would work ok?

post ur Groverhaus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

Hideo Kojima already made an MMO game which captured the best parts of traversing a desolate wasteland and called it Death Stranding :colbert:

Yeah Hideo Kojima does some weird stuff, I still don't understand what killing former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe was supposed to accomplish

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah Hideo Kojima does some weird stuff, I still don't understand what killing former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe was supposed to accomplish

It's an ARG that will lead up to the trailer drop.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I've been playing subnautica again. On hard-core baby. I've built bases in the jellyshroom and inactive lava biomes, slain a reaper, and done all of the stuff I really wanted to do. I just don't want to end the game yet. Anyone got a challenge for HC mode I can do?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

See how long you can hold your breath before passing out

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Burt Gherkin posted:

I've been playing subnautica again. On hard-core baby. I've built bases in the jellyshroom and inactive lava biomes, slain a reaper, and done all of the stuff I really wanted to do. I just don't want to end the game yet. Anyone got a challenge for HC mode I can do?

Do your bases have containment units with examples of every species of the planet?

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I've got a single in one and a double decker in the other. Not quite complete. I'll do that

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I might at that point consider the Most Perfect Spot and then build the local zoo for the inevitable commercialization of the planet by Alterra. Gotta make off that debt I guess. :negative:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
wetspace: shipcrasher

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Just wanted to chime in and give a +1 to Vintage Story being an awesome game. Other than prospecting. Even with the alternate pick mode, and cheesing it in the game to narrow my search range (Ore within 40 blocks? Yes. Cool, how about 20? Yes. How about 10? No? Okay, moving 10 blocks over and starting back at 20.) It's such a chore, and straight up not fun.

Otherwise, totally dig the game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

v1.17.0-rc.6, an unstable release, can now be downloaded through the account manager (section "Other Goodies").

My apologies for the long wait, I was on vacation/family visit and also had to tend after my garden, as there is lots to harvest now - potatoes needing to be dug up, tomatoes needing to be turned into tomato sauce, cucumbers in need of pickling and so on

The Vintage Story dev has it figured out tbh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Conan's a good time, but then again that's not an MMO.

Conan was in fact a good time so I was kind of interested in finding out what the deal with the Dune survival game was but it seems like it's just going to be "an MMO"

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
How is Vintage Story on dealing with me never ever wanting to engage with terrible combat mechanics in this sort of game?

Or at least making fights opt-in and not having random horde events or anything like that?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

LeFishy posted:

How is Vintage Story on dealing with me never ever wanting to engage with terrible combat mechanics in this sort of game?

Or at least making fights opt-in and not having random horde events or anything like that?

It's combat is bad. The... I forget what they are called, the clockwork bugs in caves, are cool enough design wise and rare enough (they only spawn at specific 'nests') to get a pass, and hunting is fine, it's just the main enemy mob type, drifters, which can spawn anywhere, that really sucks butts. You can opt out of the horde events in world settings (disable temporal storms) and disabling surface rifts disables drifter spawns on the surface, but you'll still have to deal with them in the underground.

They can be easily modded out, however you'll want some kinda other way to get temporal gears if you do so since they are the most reliable source of them. I use this mod as an alternate source of gears.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I decided to try no rifts and no temporal storms and I way prefer it. Surface drifters suck. Caves being dark and full of terrors makes more sense and is also more interesting. There's already wolves and bears on the surface.

The bugs in the caves are locusts, and they climb walls.

With the sluice mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/usefulstuffsluice and finding bony soil, I've not hungered for temporal gears. Sticking stacks of sand or gravel in there also gets me a decent number of rusted gears and the occasional gold coronet which sells for more gears. There's a more advanced automated panning mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/autosifter but it's gated behind steel.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan was in fact a good time so I was kind of interested in finding out what the deal with the Dune survival game was but it seems like it's just going to be "an MMO"
Yeah, kind of a bummer. I'm an old person who has a FT job so I don't really have the time or inclination to spend hours grinding spice mining or dew collecting or whatever dumb timewaster poo poo they come up with. Plus MMOs are functionally dead with the exception of WoW and FFXIV. In a singleplayer game everyone can be Paul or Stilgar or whatever, in an MMO it's going to be you and your sietchmates weedlordbonerhitler69 and XxGokuXx.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah Conan, like Ark, was great fun but I found it best played on a private server with friends and things like gather quantities and inventory capacity increased, and thrall breaking/dino taming time turned down. Plus, no griefing assholes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I have about 70 hours now in Vintage Story (and exclusively playing in a multiplayer server) and I have some thoughts about it

It's Minecraft with extra steps, or a Wurm Online Lite. There's a lot more satisfaction with getting a farm or house set up, and climbing up the "tech" tree feels nice as you go from copper to bronze to iron and so on. Though sometimes I wish the tedium can be dialed back a bit. Smithing an ingot feels really neat as you hammer out voxel by voxel, but doing it for several tools can be annoying. You perform similar processes with forming clay tools (and yes im aware of the duplicate-layer function) which are fine in short spurts but downright tedious in bulk quantities.

As a painful example, making Iron requires the creation of a clay furnace. This clay furnace can be made of clay bricks. These clay bricks have to be hand made, and then fired, and then crafted into a two piece item. You can then load up the furnace with fuel and iron, but once the process is complete you have to permanently destroy the furnace and get back a percentage of bricks back, which means you should have extra created for this very purpose. Similarly, and on a less extreme note, beehives go through a similar process. In order to harvest honey from the hive, it must be torn down by hand, and then created again with a percentage of resources lost along the way. Its these little things that feel a bit player-hostile, where maybe "involvement" was confused with "repetition". Just give me the whole block back, game.

The process of mining (for tin) almost made me quit. The saving grace was learning that the best way to mine is by using a tool to play a hot-and-cold game, then creating a 1x1 ladder shaft and scooping up ores that way. Natural caves are far too dangerous and steep to allow the player to "naturally" find ore like they would in Minecraft. There's a few clientside mods to make this mining process better, but mining and cave exploration feels like a low point of the game currently.

Combat also feels poor. Sometimes the strength of some mobs can can catch a player off guard as they are murdered in two hits, but most of the time its about as engaging as Minecraft's combat, which is serviceable at best. Once you know what to watch out for, combat is less of a survival mechanic and more of a thing that gets in the way. My biggest issue at the moment are that drifters (the main type of mob you'll run into the most) will spawn very close to you, and sometimes in front of you. It makes the game feel cheaty, but I have the impression the spawn radius isn't intended to be this small?

On the visuals side, this game is shockingly pretty?? I don't think the promo screenshots on the site do it justice. Sunsets and weather looks fantastic, and the lighting is great. One of my absolute favorite details are the cloud and their formations. Even voxelized, in motion they are cool to look at as they also move at varying speeds with the wind. But even better, you can tell which clouds are going to be the rain clouds. Weather is presented really well in this game and its an absolute treat.

The music is also great too and stuck out as something unique to the game. I did have to mute it when I was looking for natural behives, but then I noticed just how good the environmental effects are. The wind, leaves, weather all working together is pretty sick. Just as importantly, wolves howling in the background are not just environmental effects, but the actual wolves themselves. Im a pretty big fan of "organic" sound effects and hearing the howling of wolves in a pitch black forest was very neat.

This post was mostly complaining but really I love this game, even if it has its share of extreme pain points. I'm probably going to shelve it for a bit until 1.17 releases, because thats when the multiplayer server I play on releases a new map with some newbie-friendly modifiers to combat the constant passage of time and spoilage of crops. Aura Fury is the server name and a few of us goons can be found on there. The community on there can be a little pubbie-like but they're friendly, harmless types that have helped me out a lot.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm getting into the Long Dark after bouncing off it a few times. It's pretty good so far, but I'm wondering how the gameplay will evolve to keep 5 episodes interesting. I imagine that the survival gameplay becomes trivial after you're used to the mechanics, and then it's primarily an interactive fiction game?

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I love the survival sims. Here's my roundup of the ones I've recently played:

Best survival game out there is Green Hell. Due deadly snakes and ants and stuff, it's the only game that makes you actually stop, look and think before just holding sprint key. The nutrition model is really cool, too. Game's problem is that it's in three (four with DLC) maps, but all challenge dies with first map, and rest feel like waste of time. Still, first map has a ton of fun and survival element lasts for quite long.

The Forest is pretty nice, but there's too much emphasis on story. If you ignore the caves and story progression, I guess it's a decent sim, best played with friends.

Stranded Deep can look nice, but its story is basically two lazy rear end Aussies making a really cool and beautiful vertical slice, releasing it in early access, and doing basically nothing for next 7 years, declaring game "complete" once they got totally fed up. Survival element is pretty lame, and game suffers strongly from procedural islands (which all suck) and general lack of effort. It looks pretty good, though.

Raft goes other way. While it has a ton of tech tree and craftable stuff, about 90% of the stuff in the game is decorative, pointless crap, story "locations" are barely more than simply dead 3D models, and mobile-gameish graphics won't impress much. Survival element lasts for maybe 40 minutes, 20 if you're playing with a friend.

Unreal World is an awesome game, but it would seriously need a remake to bring it out from 1985. Learning all the keys and cursing at technical limitations is a whole game by itself.

Rimworld is probably most balanced out of all the games. Maybe overbalanced. Randy Random is the best storyteller, and makes you feel less like a chess piece in videogame progression.

Oxygen Not Included is a fantastic game that teaches you a ton of stuff your high school teachers never did. It's unlike any other games I listed, but definitely an addiction once you chew through quite steep learning curve. Main problem is that youtube doesn't help, every youtuber that makes some sort of guide is a basement dweller with speech and thought impediment, taking 40+ minutes of wheezing to explain something that needs just 40 seconds and 4 clearly formed sentences.

To be honest, despite all the titles on offer, survival genre still lacks a good title to carry it.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 27, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

buglord posted:

It's Minecraft with extra steps, or a Wurm Online Lite. There's a lot more satisfaction with getting a farm or house set up, and climbing up the "tech" tree feels nice as you go from copper to bronze to iron and so on. Though sometimes I wish the tedium can be dialed back a bit. Smithing an ingot feels really neat as you hammer out voxel by voxel, but doing it for several tools can be annoying. You perform similar processes with forming clay tools (and yes im aware of the duplicate-layer function) which are fine in short spurts but downright tedious in bulk quantities.

As a painful example, making Iron requires the creation of a clay furnace. This clay furnace can be made of clay bricks. These clay bricks have to be hand made, and then fired, and then crafted into a two piece item. You can then load up the furnace with fuel and iron, but once the process is complete you have to permanently destroy the furnace and get back a percentage of bricks back, which means you should have extra created for this very purpose. Similarly, and on a less extreme note, beehives go through a similar process. In order to harvest honey from the hive, it must be torn down by hand, and then created again with a percentage of resources lost along the way. Its these little things that feel a bit player-hostile, where maybe "involvement" was confused with "repetition". Just give me the whole block back, game.

This is deliberate. VS is Minecraft for people who watch that Primitive Technology youtube channel, or do this kind of stuff for fun IRL and just want to be in air conditioning for a bit. If you want to play at being a bronze age smith welp repetition is kinda what that's all about, and if you just want to hit a button and generate 1-999 swords there's basically every other game ever made
If anything they've made farming way too simple and low-effort but that's a fine line to thread, nobody really wants the Authentic Serf Experience

This kind of fiddly pleasant tedium is the main thing the game has going for it, because the randomly generated worlds aren't terribly interesting to explore (though theoretically they're working on that next update) and combat absolutely sucks rear end.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 27, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is deliberate. VS is Minecraft for people who watch that Primitive Technology youtube channel, or do this kind of stuff for fun IRL and just want to be in air conditioning for a bit. If you want to play at being a bronze age smith welp repetition is kinda what that's all about, and if you just want to hit a button and generate 1-999 swords there's basically every other game ever made
If anything they've made farming way too simple and low-effort but that's a fine line to thread, nobody really wants the Authentic Serf Experience

This kind of fiddly pleasant tedium is the main thing the game has going for it, because the randomly generated worlds aren't terribly interesting to explore (though theoretically they're working on that next update) and combat absolutely sucks rear end.

I get what you're saying and I think it works for the game. I actually had pride in my very ugly wood house once it was finalized. I just feel like some of the choices they've made are a bit of an overcorrection and arent that fun or rewarding. I currently enjoy the game straddling between Minecraft and Wurm in terms of granularity and pacing, but some of the activities feel MMO like in terms of tedium.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm kinda hoping the steam power update they have on their roadmap means more automation eventually, just cause the mill and helve hammer feel like such lame lategame rewards. Oh two of the least time-consuming parts of my least frequent chores can now be batch processed, whoop-de-poo poo

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I feel like a number of things you pointed out are the beginning, and the end just hasn't been realized yet.

Going from skeps to true langstroth or similar modern bee hives. Going from a pit kiln dug out of the ground to a big clay kiln that doesn't set everything nearby on fire. A true foundry where all metals can be processed with an attached bellows for raising the temperature to get to iron and you pour straight to ingots.

Luckily the modding scene is pretty healthy so a number of the more tedious things can be automated away, modified, or even bypassed depending on your preference.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Canuckistan posted:

I'm getting into the Long Dark after bouncing off it a few times. It's pretty good so far, but I'm wondering how the gameplay will evolve to keep 5 episodes interesting. I imagine that the survival gameplay becomes trivial after you're used to the mechanics, and then it's primarily an interactive fiction game?

literally no one plays the story mode

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Chapter 1 I didn't mind at all, felt like teaching the basics on scavenging, crafting, surviving, encouraged stockpiling. Very unremarkable and flimsy in a way, but not intrusive. Chapter 2 felt like it had some kind of goal with teaching smithing, and having a constant threat stalking you. Not amazing, but not bad. Everything after that just felt like I was playing the wrong game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Long Dark story mode has a lot of padding and busywork between the actual story elements which makes it pretty boring. I've been doing it to see where the actual story goes but I've enjoyed the sandbox way more than story.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Just started a new West Point run. Spawn house has the generator magazine, duffel bag and a leather jacket. :dance:

Did they change something?

E: And leather gloves holy smokes.

caleb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 27, 2022

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

buglord posted:

What's annoying is that IRL iron bloomeries don't require you to break them apart to get the blooms. This is purely an extra step to complicate the process and make the players (eventually) go out and get replacement resources.

It didn't take me long to get a mod that returns 100% of the bricks when you break the bloomery. I also installed From Golden Combs which lets you make clay hives that never need replacing (until you build the big Langstroth hives).

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, I feel like a number of things you pointed out are the beginning, and the end just hasn't been realized yet.

Going from skeps to true langstroth or similar modern bee hives. Going from a pit kiln dug out of the ground to a big clay kiln that doesn't set everything nearby on fire. A true foundry where all metals can be processed with an attached bellows for raising the temperature to get to iron and you pour straight to ingots.

Luckily the modding scene is pretty healthy so a number of the more tedious things can be automated away, modified, or even bypassed depending on your preference.

Exactly. I love this game but I can't stand playing it Vanilla.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm kinda hoping the steam power update they have on their roadmap means more automation eventually, just cause the mill and helve hammer feel like such lame lategame rewards. Oh two of the least time-consuming parts of my least frequent chores can now be batch processed, whoop-de-poo poo

What's really sucks about the hammer is you can't even fully automate it. You still have to manually heat up the ingots/blooms, place them on the anvil, and then pick up the finished product. At least the quern can be set up so you place stacks in a feeder chest and output into another chest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

caleb posted:

Just started a new West Point run. Spawn house has the generator magazine, duffel bag and a leather jacket. :dance:

You lucked out, congrats! My most recent run put me in a trailer with a can of dog food and no can opener

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

caleb posted:

:nice:

QuarkJets posted:

You lucked out, congrats! My most recent run put me in a trailer with a can of dog food and no can opener

That's on the low end of luck, but seems much more typical, and funny in its own way, hah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

I like viewing my spawn area as the backstory to why the game has "started". If you've eaten everything but a can of dog food you can't even open then obviously that's why you picked today to give up on riding this thing out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah your spawn area is a lot of "the experience", there's at least one house that you can start in in Muldraugh that is usually completely empty, not even any furniture!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah, I definitely always have a bit of "what happened to lead up to how I got here" imaginary backstory going through my head in PZ based on your starting house. Even just going into random houses, many can have a bit of uniqueness as to how things went down to arrive at how they are now. Some of these seem pretty intentional, like the designers want you to put two and two together on the little mystery that played out in a location, and it's a bit of flavor that I really enjoy.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
In the server settings, you can turn up the frequency for story events where you’ll encounter more frequent car crashes and such (not to be confused with meta events that include helicopters)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Did we already talk about this here? Zero Sievert looks really interesting, basically top-down pixel art Tarkov/STALKER or something

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Did we already talk about this here? Zero Sievert looks really interesting, basically top-down pixel art Tarkov/STALKER or something

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

Someone posted about it in the Tarkov thread and it looks pretty dang good tbh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks really good, I just hope there's some kind of depth to the final version. Right now it's fun but it feels like a very flat playground sort of experience, not something I'd sink multiple hours into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Zero Sievert, so I engaged two bandits, got damaged, used the "good" first aid kit and healed to full but after looting a rifle and an AK I was too encumbered to move, while dithering over what to drop I took a fatal dose of radiation (which the bandits were sitting in comfortably) and started to bleed and quickly died

so, yeah I guess there's people who will be into that experience