Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the nahobino or w/e should be bald so we can have a filmic 24fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You should have been able to attack in midair in 5

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

This bothered me so much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sorry to get that ability you need to learn it from Dante.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Nahobino should have a Gun.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

CharlestonJew posted:

this really contributed to the clunky feel of the controls, making the pseudo open world dungeon feel more constrained than it should have been.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

In Training posted:

The Nahobino should have a Gun.

yup

Neeksy posted:

this really contributed to the clunky feel of the controls, making the pseudo open world dungeon feel more constrained than it should have been.

felt normal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RevolverDivider posted:

TMS was a much better game then SMTV

:chloe:

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I'm not sure if I'd say it's a "better" game, but I'd much rather play Tokyo Mirage Sessions than Persona 5. I'll admit a part of that is that TMS exceeded my low expectations and P5 feel short of my somewhat high ones, so I know that's not really being fair.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A Sinister Rap posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say it's a "better" game, but I'd much rather play Tokyo Mirage Sessions than Persona 5. I'll admit a part of that is that TMS exceeded my low expectations and P5 feel short of my somewhat high ones, so I know that's not really being fair.

I think it's because TMS didn't aim to say anything significant and thus met that expectation, whereas P5 whiffed what it set out to try to accomplish, and thus didn't meet expectation. Plus TMS wasn't having to live up to standards set before it, whereas P5 had to compete with P4 and P2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TMS failed to meet my expectations as "a game that I didn't get bored of during the first dungeon"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I can't remember how far I got, the story was not getting any more interesting at some point and I just gave up the ghost on it. I enjoyed aspects of it until that point, though. Music was fun, I like the visuals of the battles, etc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely felt pretty burned by TMS. There just wasn't much substance to any of the character writing or at least none that I found compelling and I was increasingly buttoning through dialogue faster and faster by the final third or so of the game. Is it better than Persona 5? Honestly who cares, I think they're both disappointing in their own ways. I suppose at least P5 I still enjoyed the social sim aspects of it even if nothing about the story did anything for me whereas TMS didn't even really have much else to work with outside of its mediocre story since IMO the battle system is also extremely repetitive and dull despite how colorful it all looks.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Reincarnation Realization or whatever the song is called was a banger

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the characters in tms are good actually

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
TMS is fun, yeah. We genuinely need more games where we sing and dance enemies to death

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TMS isn't even the best idol music themed RPG in a city setting on the Nintendo Switch

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

god drat the mall in shinjuku is Huge

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
TMS has better social links than Personae 4 and 5.

Still has nothing as upper tier as Gourmet King though, so Persona 3 has the second best.

Devil Survivor 2 remains the best.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

o yeah last night i learned about a fan remake of smt1 that adds a bunch of extra stuff https://w.atwiki.jp/rpgvxmegaten1/sp/pages/16.html, it seems p cool!!

it's not tled (yet) but hopefully someone can do a fresh tl of the new stuff and then use the official loc for the old stuff like that one ff6 romhack patch

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Couple hours in to Soul Hackers and my first thought is that Ringo’s jacket is incredibly dope and I hope some enterprising cosplayer makes a real one

edit: also very funny that Ringo has the same voice as Sophia from Strikers, apparently that VA just sounds like an AI

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 26, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're playing the PS5 version of Soul Hackers 2 turn the Loading Hints setting to 'hide', it makes the loading times go from 10 seconds literally instantaneous lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Couple hours in to Soul Hackers and my first thought is that Ringo’s jacket is incredibly dope and I hope some enterprising cosplayer makes a real one

edit: also very funny that Ringo has the same voice as Sophia from Strikers, apparently that VA just sounds like an AI

Isn’t that literally the lady that was Siri’s voice or something?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is wack as gently caress to me that they're selling a demon pack for 12.99. Especially since it seems at least from the store description that there's not even any fights or mini story attached to them? The demon DLC in the 3ds era games and SMT5 at least had the good graces to do that much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Last Celebration posted:

Isn’t that literally the lady that was Siri’s voice or something?

No, Susan Bennett (the lady who used to be Siri) voiced EMMA in Strikers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It is wack as gently caress to me that they're selling a demon pack for 12.99. Especially since it seems at least from the store description that there's not even any fights or mini story attached to them? The demon DLC in the 3ds era games and SMT5 at least had the good graces to do that much.

Yeah they've gone full on KT with the DLC (well maybe not quite yet), I just ignore that crap so it doesn't really make any difference to me but it still sucks.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So, is soul hackers 2 actually good? I can tolerate a slightly scuffed battle system if the story is good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DrManiac posted:

So, is soul hackers 2 actually good? I can tolerate a slightly scuffed battle system if the story is good.

I’m about 6 hours in and like the story so far. I think there’s a definite difference in tone from Persona because it feels more written towards/about adults and it’s much more comic book-y than SMT, but so far it hasn’t felt incredibly stupid at any point (the first boss Devil Summoner threatened to go over that waterfall but it never got fully dumb). The character dynamics are nice too, none of the leads are obnoxious or dumb, everyone is already competent so you don’t feel like you’re drowning in having to learn what demon summoning is.

The battle system is definitely a change for the simpler. I haven’t met any real challenges so far and I haven’t been using any guides or anything, it’s not an SMT where you’ll get painted across a wall with one bad field encounter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The DLC situation in SH2 is disgusting, totally reprehensible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lotus Aura posted:

No, Susan Bennett (the lady who used to be Siri) voiced EMMA in Strikers.

That game had good VA casting for the new roles, they also got 2B from Nier:A for a role that was extremely apt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Camera distance max, plus turning off camera tracking makes the game control like a PS2 megaten game instead of last of us.

Turning the VA's to Japanese is also required. I didn't even make it out the tutorial before I realized I never wanted to hear Ringo's voice actor speak again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Camera distance max, plus turning off camera tracking makes the game control like a PS2 megaten game instead of last of us.

Was actually just about to come ask wtf was with the camera. Will try this.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The DLC situation in SH2 is disgusting, totally reprehensible

Yeah my brother told me about how there is actual story DLC that feels like it was originally supposed to be a part of the game, which is pretty lovely-sounding!
I'm currently playing Vesperia so I'll see if I can wait for the game to go on sale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It appears to be the exact same DLC situation as every other recent megaten game.

Like SMTV had more DLC and locked the Fiends/Demifiend stuff behind a DLC. Same with IV. Persona 5 didn't but Persona 5 did the "release the same game with a new thing" thing all Persona games have ended up doing instead but without even the justification of being ported to a new system.

(It's also pretty in-line with most JRPGs these days where you're paying out the rear end for costumes or optional bosses/content which I hate.) Even Xenoblade 3 is tying plotlines and bonus content and such behind a DLC pass.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 27, 2022

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man that default setting on Loading Screen Tips is... bad. The game isn't even actually loading, it just removes the prompt to continue for like 6 seconds. Why would you add fake loading???

Gaius Marius posted:

Turning the VA's to Japanese is also required. I didn't even make it out the tutorial before I realized I never wanted to hear Ringo's voice actor speak again.
I wouldn't go that far myself but something feels off about the direction.
Also Mimi's annoying but that's more on the entire implementation of the mechanic and voice filter/volume than the VA.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It appears to be the exact same DLC situation as every other recent megaten game.

Like SMTV had more DLC and locked the Fiends/Demifiend stuff behind a DLC. Same with IV. Persona 5 didn't but Persona 5 did the "release the same game with a new thing" thing all Persona games have ended up doing instead but without even the justification of being ported to a new system.

I don't really agree that it's the same. It's similar and megaten has had pretty lovely DLC practices since IV, I agree. But it just seems extra bad here. At least in V you got a little mini quest and extra fights with their demon DLC, here the game just gives them to you for 12.99 (if the store page is accurate?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Oh man that default setting on Loading Screen Tips is... bad. The game isn't even actually loading, it just removes the prompt to continue for like 6 seconds. Why would you add fake loading???

The PS5 Spider-Man game did this too. The entire point is to give you enough time to read the loading screen tips. (Or in the Spider-Man game's case to see the silly loading animations that you're otherwise not going to see.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really agree that it's the same. It's similar and megaten has had pretty lovely DLC practices since IV, I agree. But it just seems extra bad here. At least in V you got a little mini quest and extra fights with their demon DLC, here the game just gives them to you for 12.99 (if the store page is accurate?)

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/persona%205%20royal%20dlc

I mean I can just point to this if you want an example.

Edit: And this is Royal, which had all the OTHER DLC already packed in, and now the re-rerelease for the X-BOX and PC is having THAT DLC packed in.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The PS5 Spider-Man game did this too. The entire point is to give you enough time to read the loading screen tips. (Or in the Spider-Man game's case to see the silly loading animations that you're otherwise not going to see.)

But the thing is, this game doesn't auto progress loading screens, like some games do. The other setting lets you sit on the Loading Screen as long as you want until you hit Confirm, which appears in 2 to sub-1 seconds depending on what you're using.
Basically: fast loading with confirmation whenever you want > fake long loading designed to read long tips/text

HGH fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 27, 2022