Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Show is far too short, but I'm loving every second of it.

It's strange how Jameela Jamil seems to be loved in America, though. In the UK it felt like the British public just sort of tolerated her. I haven't seen The Good Place but I'm guessing her role on the show was a big deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Every aspect of The Good Place is amazing

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thoroughly recommend The Good Place. Funny, heartfelt and thought provoking.

Idk how much of it was acting and how much was playing herself but Jameela held her own against some *heavyweight* actors.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dell_Zincht posted:

Show is far too short, but I'm loving every second of it.

It's strange how Jameela Jamil seems to be loved in America, though. In the UK it felt like the British public just sort of tolerated her. I haven't seen The Good Place but I'm guessing her role on the show was a big deal?

She’s goddam delightful.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

She’s goddam delightful.

I think her replacing Alexa Chung on T4 didn't help her popularity, her panel show appearances were pretty non-descript too. Seems to have really kicked on since relocating to the USA, though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dell_Zincht posted:

My impression is that the british tabloid media is incredibly toxic, they did kill a princess after all. And that Jamil is just one of their many victims, and they get especilly angry when someone fights back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I always liked Jameela :)

Sidenote: I miss the days when T4 was the poo poo :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also, her old boss seems used to dealing with her in her Hulk persona.

In the comics, sure; she's been She-Hulk for years in the comics.

Also, somewhat relatedly; I went to see DC: League of Superpets yesterday, which was pretty good and had a few scenes that were way more emotional than they had any right to be, but Jameela Jamil voiced Wonder Woman in it. She didn't have a huge amount of screen time, but she was fun for what little she had, and was able to keep up beside people like Keanu Reeves as Batman.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 26, 2022

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oasx posted:

My impression is that the british tabloid media is incredibly toxic, they did kill a princess after all. And that Jamil is just one of their many victims, and they get especilly angry when someone fights back.

This is very true.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm about to watch The Punisher without having watched Daredevil first, am I being a big dumb dumb?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yes, Daredevil's awesome

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm watching through Daredevil now for the first time and it fuckin owns. It's so good I'm probably gonna watch through all the other Netflix Marvel shows.

Also The Punisher is a big part of DD season 2 (haven't gotten to season 3 so someone else would have to fill us in) so it would be very silly to skip that.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Orc Priest posted:

All I know is that I'm going to be mad if this doesn't lead to us getting a full Hulk Sakaar movie in the future. Send Smart Hulk to the netherrealm. Give us Sakaar, the Grandmaster, Champion Hulk and Thor again.

I really, really hope that one day we get a scene like the Onslaught event where "Smart Hulk" asks Jean Grey to turn Banner off

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

pik_d posted:

I'm watching through Daredevil now for the first time and it fuckin owns. It's so good I'm probably gonna watch through all the other Netflix Marvel shows.

You can pretty much just stick to the rest of Daredevil and Jessica Jones/Luke Cage season 1. Everything falls off a cliff once Danny Rand shows up

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yes, Daredevil's awesome

I have been informed by one of my friends that I should watch Daredevil/The Punisher/Luke Cage/Jessica Jones and in the following order, so I'm going to do that

Daredevil, Season 1
Jessica Jones S1
DD S2
Luke Cage S1
Iron Fist S1
The Defenders
The Punisher S1
JJ S2
LC S2
IF S2
DD S3
Punisher S2
JJ S3

Anything else I should be watching, relating to the non (as of yet) MCU universe?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^^
Cloak & Dagger is tangentially connected to the Netflix shows, and a good watch on its own.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm about to watch The Punisher without having watched Daredevil first, am I being a big dumb dumb?

The Punisher stuff in Daredevil is pretty good, but also completely irrelevant to the standalone series. Like, iirc in Daredevil Frank learns who ordered the hit on his family, and then Punisher retcons that.

I guess Karen Page shows up in an episode or two, but other than that there's no connective tissues between the two shows.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm also watching DD for the first time, but I've seen Jessica Jones Season 1 and it was OUTSTANDING

That dr Who fella is a real monster

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Even if you don't watch anything else I reckon Dare Devil S1 + Jessica Jones S1 are pretty much essential viewing for how amazing they both are

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I hope the Bruce arc of She-Hulk is just 30 second clips of him talking to Jen about her problems while crazy space stuff is happening to him in the background

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

howe_sam posted:

The Punisher stuff in Daredevil is pretty good, but also completely irrelevant to the standalone series. Like, iirc in Daredevil Frank learns who ordered the hit on his family, and then Punisher retcons that.

The Punisher show kind of retcons it in the sense that it reveals that the guy in Daredevil was working for someone else.

Punisher S1 is really good and has nothing to do with the broader stereotype of the character that people are probably familiar with. Just watch Daredevil S2 first to get a handle on the character - Punisher then is more of a modern-day Western barely related to the other Netflix shows.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cloak and Dagger is already in my country's D+.
I guess I'm going to give it a second chance...

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I do wonder with this Hulk stuff whether they're positioning to do a similar deal for a new Hulk film in partnership with Universal as they did with Sony. Wasn't Universal the reason they have to make films that are about the Hulk but not by name (like Thor Ragnarok)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Desperado Bones posted:

I wasn't aware of it

Not related to the Jack Flack 80s movie with the Atari game I assume?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Grumbles posted:

I do wonder with this Hulk stuff whether they're positioning to do a similar deal for a new Hulk film in partnership with Universal as they did with Sony. Wasn't Universal the reason they have to make films that are about the Hulk but not by name (like Thor Ragnarok)

Could they just workaround it entirely by making a Hulk TV show?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

I like Cloak and Dagger in the comics but I'm not sure I could watch a whole show about them.

The bigger question is when the hell are we getting Kid Nova in the MCU?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Cloak and Dagger were wasted on a teen drama show, I wouldn’t mind them getting the MCU reboot.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The metaphors are a little heavy handed but I guess not for a comic book tv show and the CGI she-hulk face looks like it was ripped directly from Shrek 1 but it's still a fun show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Grumbles posted:

The Universal deal was about distribution rights. They could make a Hulk movie, but Universal would get to distribute it and collect most of the profits, choose the release date, choose what theaters it goes to, etc.

It's not public whether the deal has an end date and what it is. Universal also owned the rights to Namor, but they are using Namor in Black Panther 2, so some people think that Hulk's rights might be back soon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The Bloop posted:

I wasn't aware of it

Yeah, opened up the app to watch She-Hulk and there it was in new releases (This LatAm/Mexico Disney+ to be precise).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oasx posted:

Cloak and Dagger were wasted on a teen drama show, I wouldn’t mind them getting the MCU reboot.

They were teens and there was drama, but I wouldn't say it was a "teen drama". the show was more interested in darker themes than it was with who Tyrone and Tandy were dating (though there was a bit of that as well). And they did it all in a package that was about 75% as trippy as Legion. Plus, they literally fridged Brigid's boyfriend in the first season, which I personally found darkly funny.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dell_Zincht posted:

I like Cloak and Dagger in the comics but I'm not sure I could watch a whole show about them.

The bigger question is when the hell are we getting Kid Nova in the MCU?

I've definitely seen rumours that there's something in the works with Richard Ryder

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Butternubs posted:

The metaphors are a little heavy handed but I guess not for a comic book tv show and the CGI she-hulk face looks like it was ripped directly from Shrek 1 but it's still a fun show.

lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

One of Marvel's most complained about problems, with fans but especially with directors, is that they always had to incorporate certain marvel elements and scenes into their work as connective tissue for the franchise. If a show like She-Hulk can do that part of the job while being fun in its own right, then it's possible Marvel films could attract more talent and get really weird and different.

I say that as I recognize that they basically gave Chloe Zhao almost free reign and her movie....wasn't great. So it's not like a stronger director's vision alone will always make a movie better.

I don't think this is fair to Zhao. The Eternals are just loving stinkers as characters. Only Al Ewing going at 110% has ever made me care about these characters. It's not even fair to compare the Eternals to the Guardians. The GotG have a tree and a racoon on the team. The Eternals are just boring generic powers with normal looking people. Like Thena's power is to make weapons I guess? But Gilgamesh is strong, but he also makes weapons, but only the gauntlets that form when he manifests his powers, but also Thena seems really strong too, but also Ikaris is strong but he also flies and shoots laset eyes, but Kingo can also shoot stuff, but he has to charge it up?

That the Eternals turned out as middling an MCU film as it was is actually a testament to the director and writer and actors doing their best to turn a poo poo sandwich into gold. That they didn't make it all the way isn't really on them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soonmot posted:

I don't think this is fair to Zhao. The Eternals are just loving stinkers as characters. Only Al Ewing going at 110% has ever made me care about these characters. It's not even fair to compare the Eternals to the Guardians. The GotG have a tree and a racoon on the team. The Eternals are just boring generic powers with normal looking people. Like Thena's power is to make weapons I guess? But Gilgamesh is strong, but he also makes weapons, but only the gauntlets that form when he manifests his powers, but also Thena seems really strong too, but also Ikaris is strong but he also flies and shoots laset eyes, but Kingo can also shoot stuff, but he has to charge it up?

That the Eternals turned out as middling an MCU film as it was is actually a testament to the director and writer and actors doing their best to turn a poo poo sandwich into gold. That they didn't make it all the way isn't really on them.

Also their only common enemy is a faceless horde of monsters so Marvel had to hammer one of the team into a villain role for any emotional resonance

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
That's been the consensus on the Eternals, and the argument it would have worked better as a series where each character could have gotten some fleshing out with interactions with a few characters at a time before the larger ensemble piece. It would be like trying to make the Avengers without having Hulk, two Iron Man movies, Thor, and Captain America come before it. Even then, that would probably be easier since most of those characters are in the public conscience with most people having some sort of understanding of their origin/powers.

Eternals could have worked with the mini-series basically taking us up to the moment of the movie, and then have the movie but with all the flashbacks (which is like 25-30% of the runtime) removed and only focusing on the current story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It should absolutely have been a miniseries

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rarity posted:

Also their only common enemy is a faceless horde of monsters so Marvel had to hammer one of the team into a villain role for any emotional resonance

the Deviants aren't faceless in the source material, that was a choice Zhao et al made for the film (and not a good one IMO)

imo if Eternals had to be a movie instead of a Disney+ series, it should have reduced the size of the cast and taken a vaguely Cloud Atlas-like approach of cross-cutting between multiple time periods instead of the film's long, frontloaded flashbacks, though I doubt Feige would ever have greenlit that

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barry Convex posted:

the Deviants aren't faceless in the source material, that was a choice Zhao et al made for the film (and not a good one IMO)

imo if Eternals had to be a movie instead of a Disney+ series, it should have reduced the size of the cast and taken a vaguely Cloud Atlas-like approach of cross-cutting between multiple time periods instead of the film's long, frontloaded flashbacks, though I doubt Feige would ever have greenlit that

One of the Deviants in the film also develops personality and motive beyond instinct, and is still just kind of left by the wayside instead of either integrating him or making him the main villain; which was also a choice they didn't have to make. Honestly, they could have just not had the Deviants in the first film at all, since the drama between the Eternals could have been front and center if it was going to be the main focus anyway. They could have dropped a teaser for them being a thing at the end of the film or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 26, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

That's been the consensus on the Eternals, and the argument it would have worked better as a series where each character could have gotten some fleshing out with interactions with a few characters at a time before the larger ensemble piece. It would be like trying to make the Avengers without having Hulk, two Iron Man movies, Thor, and Captain America come before it. Even then, that would probably be easier since most of those characters are in the public conscience with most people having some sort of understanding of their origin/powers.

Eternals could have worked with the mini-series basically taking us up to the moment of the movie, and then have the movie but with all the flashbacks (which is like 25-30% of the runtime) removed and only focusing on the current story.

I don't know, this excuse has never really flown for me. There are movies that have large casts and manage to not gently caress up characterization. Eternals just did a bad job of it. There's no reason to believe they would have done a better job if it had been a TV show.

Like, the scale of the movie is obviously different, but Ocean's 11 introduces a team of 11, plus Julia Roberts, plus the villain, who all have their own unique characters and (somewhat unique) motivations (beyond "I want money"). Okay the twins aren't that unique, but other than them. It can be done. Eternals just didn't. Fellowship of the Ring has a large cast. Hell, the first X-Men did a better job of it, if you want to stay in the comic book genre.

The main character traits I can remember from most of the Eternals was "stoic", except for Kingo, who was, "supposed to be funny". It also didn't help that most of the cast had zero chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

tsob posted:

One the Deviants in the film also develops personality and motive beyond instinct, and is still just kind of left by the wayside instead of either integrating him or making him the main villain; which was also a choice they didn't have to make. Honestly, they could have just not had the Deviants in the first film at all, since the drama between the Eternals could have been front and center if it was going to be the main focus anyway. They could have dropped a teaser for it them being a thing at the end of the film or something.

that's one of the things I find most frustrating about the film - the script sets up a very obvious way that the Deviants could have played into the central conflict with Ikaris and the Celestials (they've been manipulated and screwed over by the Celestials too, after all), and proceeds to do absolutely nothing with that. Kro instead just wanders into the third act like a leftover from an earlier draft of the script where he was the main villain, and I wouldn't be surprised if that had been the case.