Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

achtungnight posted:

Watching She-Hulk on Disney plus right now, can’t help but wonder what kind of shenanigans she would get up to if facing Ace Attorney characters and vice versa.

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7k-1H_-i9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Aww, they're hugging.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like how no one is bothered by Maya just recording her call. Must have one-party consent laws, because otherwise without Mia explicitly consenting to that recording that's a crime presented and effectively admitted to the court right there.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Tree Reformat posted:

I like how no one is bothered by Maya just recording her call. Must have one-party consent laws, because otherwise without Mia explicitly consenting to that recording that's a crime presented and effectively admitted to the court right there.

Two party consent is actually pretty uncommon outside of a handful of US states, AFAIK. The only country that I can find outside the US that does that is Germany.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

LJN92 posted:

Two party consent is actually pretty uncommon outside of a handful of US states, AFAIK. The only country that I can find outside the US that does that is Germany.

To the point that I feel unsafe in 2 party consent states, since that's one less avenue for keeping your bosses and doctors honest.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 25: Episode 2, Trial: A Surprise Ending

Music: Trial

He certainly does look like a bellboy.

....Why is he still carrying around a platter like he's about to serve afternoon tea?

I received your summons in the middle of work, sir. I'm happy to be of service.

the witness may begin his testimony.

Very good, sir!

Music: Silence

Music: Questioning - Allegro

I believe I received a call after 8:00 in the evening from our guest, Miss May.

She asked for an ice coffee to be brought to her at 9:00, on the dot, sir.

And I delivered the ice coffee to our guest Miss May, herself.

(This is it...)

(Maya will be finished!)

Well. I think for the third straight witness we have nothing to go on initially. Guess we'll just press on everything again?

Music: Questioning - Allegro

I am the head bellboy at the fine Gatewater Hotel, in business for four generations!

Why, anything required of me, sir.

I clean rooms, I make beds.

I even deliver room service, sir.

I checked Miss May in personally.

That sounds like a lot. Is there an army of bellboys at this hotel, or just very few rooms?

Mr. Wright.

I believe I received a call after 8:00 in the evening from our guest, Miss May.

She's kind of hard to mistake for anyone else.

Absolutely, sir.

H-how can you be so certain!?

I checked Miss May in personally, sir.

And then I saw THEM, and I...

Well the bellboy sure rattles easily. We didn't even really press him hard there. So, I think I see where we're going. There were two glasses on the hotel room table. Now we're finally going to dig at who was with Miss May in the hotel.

The point being, I remembered her quite well, sir.

She asked for an ice coffee to be brought to her at 9:00, on the dot, sir.

That sounds suspiciously like arranging an alibi for a murder that you know (from the wiretap) is going to happen at 9:00.

Yes. I confirmed that detail several times.

Can't let that ice melt, I guess.

I brought it to her at precisely the requested time, of course.

Precisely, exactly, and most definitely, sir. 9:00 PM.

How can you be so sure!?

"Oh, bellboy? Tee hee! I'd like, like, ice coffee at exactly 9:00!"

Something like that, sir.

Therefore, I knocked on her door at the crack of 9:00, sir.

And I delivered the ice coffee to our guest Miss May, herself.

Ab-SO-lutely, sir.

"Ab-SO-lutely"...?

How come you're so very certain!?

Well, when I brought the room service, sir...

Wh-why would she have done that...?

It was a moment I shall never, ever forget, sir.

(Sounds pretty fishy to me...)

quote:

If we reach the end without pressing on everything, we get looped back to the beginning as usual.

(This bellboy wouldn't have any reason to lie...)

(But I have to find something to use in his testimony!)

(One more time. I'll press him until he spills the beans... or his tea!)

Once we've pressed on the last two lines of testimony in particular, we fade to black and get an additional scene.

(Is... is that it!?)

Music: Suspense

Finally, you understand.

This bellboy has absolutely no reason to lie!

Now...

There's clearly something being hidden here, or Edgeworth wouldn't be so insistent we stop right now.

Hmm. It was a bit tedious.

Well, a deal's a deal, guess we should give up.

(No...!)

(If I give up now, I lose everything...)

quote:

Choosing to protest once again bypasses the extra dialogue and goes straight into the next scene.

W-wait! Please wait!

Your Honor, I must object.

Now, now. Mr. Edgeworth.

(Okay.)

(This is really it, now. This is my last chance!)

The bellboy at least briefly mentioned all three of these. The room service obviously plays into the alibi directly. But he mentioned "THEM" when talking about the check-in, so let's go with that option.

Tell me about when you checked-in Miss May.

Oh, alright. Very well, sir.

She's just my type of girl, so it was a disappointment, really.

...What was?

I see...

?

(...!)

(What did he say!?)

Ah! Oh... er... rather, quite!

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered - Variation

quote:

Let's ask some more about the room service, instead.

T-tell me again about er... room service!

A-again, sir?

At exactly 9:00, I delivered room service to Miss May in room 303.

The guest had requested ice coffee... $18 was the charge, as I recall.

I see...

...?

E-eighteen dollars? Doesn't that seem a bit expensive?

Y-yes, well, ice coffee for two, you know. And we don't skimp on the ice, sir.

(...!)

(What did he say!?)

What did you say!?

Ah! Oh... er... rather, quite!

Bellboy! Tell us the truth now...

Was someone else staying in Miss May's room?

Room service for two, but only one guest present? Hmm...

quote:

I'm sure this guy turns bed making into an art, let's ask about that.

Bed... bed making!

Tell me about making beds that day.

I was wondering what you were going to ask, but bed making? A new low!

Now, now, Mr. Edgeworth.

The witness will answer the defense's question.

Yes, well, it was quite like any other day's bed making.

I changed the sheets, the pillowcases, and then I proceeded to make the bed.

I had to bring pillows for two, of course, but they're quite light, you see.

I see. Thank you.

(Pillows... for two!?)

Bellboy! What did you just say?

Eh!? Ah, yes, pillows are light... sir?

Bellboy! Tell us the truth now...

Was someone else staying in Miss May's room?

This one seems the weakest argument of the three. Every hotel I've ever stayed at has multiple pillows even if I'm alone in the room.

Your excuses are getting weaker, Edgeworth. Though I do love these empty objections. Maybe we're finally getting somewhere!

Err... yes, I see.

(Nice try!)

Ah, yes, quite. Indeed...

I can't decide if this is more of Edgeworth cheating, or if coaching witnesses to that level is a fairly normal practice. Might have gone a bit far, which seems par for the course for Edgeworth.

!

:commissar:

Y-you fool!

Guess we didn't have to go all the way to find and nail the killer this time.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

Never mind, intense music is back.

Correct?

Yes, sir.

you didn't see that man in the room...?

Hmm...

Your Honor!

In light of this new fact, I hold that it's impossible to judge the defendant.

Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Edgeworth?

Oh, he was saying he'd won the bet. Technically he didn't disprove Miss May's alibi, but this information seems pretty important anyway.

Odd place for a prompt, with even odder choices. Miss May and the bellboy alibied each other, after all.

The man who checked in with Miss May!

Another critical hit!

quote:

Let's accuse Miss April May of murder again!

None other than Miss April May!

Eh!?

Have you heard nothing that has transpired so far!?

She has an alibi! She was in the hotel at the time of the murder!

Oh... right.

Mr. Wright!

S-sorry, Your Honor! Give me one more chance!

As usual with these obviously wrong answers, we're looped back to the previous prompt to choose again. Still no penalties here, either.

quote:

That bellboy is suspicious, what if he's the murderer?

It was the bellboy and none other!

Well, this comes as some surprise...

Your Honor, Mr. Wright...

It was the bellboy who confirmed Miss May's alibi...

And this in turn confirms the bellboy's alibi! He was in the hotel!

Well, s-sure... if you put it that way...

I do put it that way, and I trust you will too!

But what if they were in cahoots!

You have evidence of this?

Um... no, Your Honor.

Mr. Wright!

S-sorry, Your Honor! Give me one more chance!

Frankly, if every defense attorney that Edgeworth faced was like that, I can see why he's so smug.

Your Honor!

Yet Miss May herself has an alibi at the time of the murder.

However, that does not clear the man that was with her!

Too late for what?

"Too late"?

That's our third shot landed! Finish him!

Upstart... amateur...!

T-these accusations are... ludicrous!

Enough!

I expect the prosecution and defense to look into this matter fully!

Am I understood?

Wait, what?

Court is adjourned!

...We have another day to get through!?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The real Phoenix Wright starts here.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Oh you sweet summer child. This is just the beginning.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

:getin:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Up until that moment I really thought that the bellboy would go "Yup and the guy's name is X" and then we'd call him to the stand and finish the episode. :aaaaa:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

There have been a few good lines in the game up to this point, but I hold that 'Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!' was when I realized fully that the translation-work for this game was unlike any other I had seen at the time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welcome to the heart and soul of Phoenix Wright: the multi-day trial. With few exceptions, every case from here will play out over the course of several days.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DKII posted:

The bellboy at least briefly mentioned all three of these. The room service obviously plays into the alibi directly. But he mentioned "THEM" when talking about the check-in, so let's go with that option.

I, uh, don't think the THEM in question here have anything to do with our putative third party.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always like that remark from the judge "that tea set looks rather heavy" to acknowledge that they re-use the sprite of the bellboy with his platter.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Geez, they never give the poor bellboy a name?

It seems Edgeworth, and maybe every other prosecutor in this game, is the “let’s convict the defendant” type of prosecutor vs the “let’s seek justice & truth” type. The latter doesn’t usually go for the sort of witness coaching evidenced here. I have to wonder why Edgeworth is obscuring the existence of the other guest in Ms. May’s room, though. No evidence he’s directly involved in the murder, so therefore he’s irrelevant to Edgeworth until Phoenix convinces the Judge to think otherwise? Going for an easy win by not dwelling on a tangent? Did Edgeworth genuinely not know or not care about this other guest? Did Gumshoe not throughly investigate the guest and Edgeworth was trying to cover his rear end (seems strange given Edgeworth dwelling on Gumshoe’s evaluation earlier, but possible)? Or are there more sinister motives in play?

I too find it surprising that Phoenix didn’t get the bellboy to identify the man staying with Ms. May. I guess the fact that he exists and that Edgeworth was trying to hide that fact is drama enough for the cliffhanger.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 27, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Edgeworth plays to win. At all costs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
From a gameplay perspective, having your opponent go "yeah this is a transparent frame job and a third party came up while I was interviewing a witness, obviously the defendant is innocent and we should subpoena this person and further question the witness with the wiretap" is a lot more reasonable but a lot less dramatic. This is as much a story of fighting the system as it is one of confronting individual dudes who bashed a lady dead with a thinker clock.

Plot-wise, other than what we've seen Edgeworth do, Phoenix described him as a ruthless prosecutor who has never lost a case, hates criminals with a burning passion, and will do anything to win, even being rumored to make back-alley deals and use forged evidence. I think the game may be suggesting that Edgeworth is less than entirely on the up-and-up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's multiple YT videos of real lawyers playing Ace Attorney and while some of the real world critique is a little obvious, they tend to turn out quite funny (no spoilers, they play the first case which is already covered):

https://youtu.be/xu6ZRWp9rA4

https://youtu.be/om6BMBhhoPo

DKII, I really appreciate you going through the effort of even transcribing the follow-ups to the wrong questions, I haven't even seen most of them. Though, if at any time you feel like skipping those, I'd understand, this game is very very long.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

There's multiple YT videos of real lawyers playing Ace Attorney and while some of the real world critique is a little obvious, they tend to turn out quite funny (no spoilers, they play the first case which is already covered):

https://youtu.be/xu6ZRWp9rA4

https://youtu.be/om6BMBhhoPo

DKII, I really appreciate you going through the effort of even transcribing the follow-ups to the wrong questions, I haven't even seen most of them. Though, if at any time you feel like skipping those, I'd understand, this game is very very long.

My biggest problem with these "real lawyer reacts!" videos is they're all responding to the game/anime from an American judicial standpoint. There's plenty examples of gross violations of Japanese constitutional law in these games, but good luck finding those critiques on English-speaking youtube.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

achtungnight posted:

I have to wonder why Edgeworth is obscuring the existence of the other guest in Ms. May’s room, though.

My guess is he takes an "Occam's Razor" approach and assumes that it's unlikely a random guest would be involved in the crime just because they were possibly staying in the same room as the witness. It would be very easy for that person to claim they weren't present at the time, and Edgeworth wouldn't press any harder.

He knows that the defense will seize on any small possibility that someone else is involved in the crime (evidenced by the fact that the mere existence of this other person gave Phoenix another trial day) and would rather prevent him from "wasting time" or "obscuring the truth" by keeping him unaware. That way, Phoenix can only question the actual witness, who presents a seemingly ironclad testimony. That, or bring in the Bellboy who has been instructed not to disclose the existence of the other guest.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

No Spoilers, but [Modnote: C'mon pal you should have realized this was a bad idea by the time you typed this]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 27, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ChaosStar0 posted:

No Spoilers, but [spoilers]
I know how hard it is to keep it in your pants, but please try harder.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

No Spoilers, but [spoilers]

For some reason this keeps happening in every single LP on these forums that has a no-spoiler policy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

goons just can't help themselves

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've mostly been avoiding chiming in just because I really can't talk about Edgeworth without giving stuff away. :v:

I can say I find the wiretap thing very silly, but that's pretty standard Ace Attourney stuff. "Oh, the witness was found wiretapping the victims phone on the night of the murder? Well she has an alibi so there's no relation to the case, she couldn't possibly be an accessory in any way! Maya's guilty, case closed."

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 26: Episode 2, Day 2, Investigation: Enter the Interlogue

We reconvene outside the courtroom. It's currently mid-afternoon. We have until tomorrow morning to figure out everything we can about the man with Miss May.

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

You were amazing in there!

R-really?

Phoenix was making intuitive leaps and deductions all over the place in there, even without our help. A big step up from the last episode.

I think I might be your newest fan!

Oh, I was just "doing my job" you know... heh heh.

Hey now.

Huh?

That face of his! With his eyes wide, and trembling lips!

Is she describing Edgeworth or a puppy?

Hmm... if you say so.

So, what happens with me?

Um, well...

The only evidence left against Maya is a suspiciously convenient bloody note and an eyewitness account from an individual who now has less than zero credibility. You'd think Maya could at least be out on bail now.

Oh... I see.

A "lead"?

That man with Miss May! He's the key!

Oh! I get it.

I smell another investigation phase coming.

Anyway.

This case is far from closed.

I'm going to find out more about this man.

Do you think he was the one who...?

Maybe so.

Sis...

I thought it might come in handy during the trial tomorrow.

But now that I have it, I'm not so sure.

Most of her testimony was all lies...

In fact, there's only one part that hasn't been stricken from the record.

Our first new piece of evidence is a freebie. Assuming this line of testimony is really trustworthy.

Anyway, time to hit the pavement and do some investigating!

Maya doesn't belong in that detention center, and it's up to me to set her free!

I've taken almost a thousand screenshots of this episode already, and we've completed a day of investigation and a day of trial, about to enter a second day of investigation with (at least) a second day of trial looming. This second episode is already way longer than I anticipated.

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

Might as well save while we're here.

I could have stopped there, but it would've been a pretty short update. Let's at least grab the initial scenes for the second day of investigations.

She's in a better mood than I would have expected.

I didn't expect anyone to visit me in such a dank place as this...

It's really quite... moving.

Maybe she's not all that upset and will just give up her partner now.

Uhhh never mind.

Have you come to laugh? Yes, laugh at the fallen Miss May!

No, not really, there's something I wanted to ask.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I want to BE asked.

(Here we go again...)

Please, you're scaring the security guard.

(For starters, how did you get to be so totally whacked!?)

Music: Happy People

This game might be the first investigation/courtroom one I've played that has additional investigation sequences in between courtroom sequences. Definitely adds a lot more potential for the narrative this way. I'm surprised it's already happening in the first real episode.

This guard still hasn't moved since yesterday, but he gets one more line about him today.

This guard monitors the visitor's room.

He hasn't moved an inch. A real pro, this guy.

Or maybe he just doesn't get to see a lot of women like Miss May in here.

Let's see if we can get Miss May talking.

About the man who stayed with you in your hotel room...

Can you tell me about him?

Where is he? C'mon...

No way, Jose.

She's going to stand by her man, whoever the guy is. If this were a Matlock episode, I'd say we have to find proof of him cheating on her to get her to open up and throw him under the bus.

Why did you place a wiretap on Mia's phone?

Um... tapping people's phones is a crime, Miss May.

Oh, and I suppose you learned that in Lawyer School, hmm?

Creep!

Say...

Why are you so... angry?

Uh, we just got her arrested, duh.

B-bottom...?

Well conversation was a dead-end. Unfortunately all our evidence currently has no use, either.

Hey, guess what.

Actually, I, um, really hate your guts.

So get lost. Because, well, I'm not cooperating.

(Thanks, I noticed.)

While going through the evidence again, I noticed that the diagram of the crime scene has an option to examine it in more detail. I guess the lit-up parts are what would be visible from Miss May's point of view? Between this diagram, the evidence we got with Miss May's testimony, and the glass shards we've had from the beginning, I suspect that court tomorrow is going to focus on the physical elements of the crime.

If I look at the diagram above, and the description here. Mia dodged an attack and ran to the right. During that dodge, the killer must've impacted the light stand, causing the glass fragments to go everywhere. That's why some of the fragments were under Mia's body at the crime scene.

Miss May's profile has been updated to reflect the new information we have on her.

Likewise the bellboy has some more detail in his profile.

We can go visit anywhere we like again. The hotel seems like the most likely place to look for information about the man staying with Miss May. The crime scene could offer some new insight into how the attack itself unfolded. And maybe Grossberg will be willing to help now that we've dug into the case a bit more? Take your pick.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Gatewater- let’s go for a big amount of evidence.

Edit- poll doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t see a cast your vote button and it’s not saving my choice.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 29, 2022

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like I accidentally closed it at one point, try now. Thanks for pointing that out.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 27: Episode 2, Day 2, Investigation: Running Around

All right, Gatewater Hotel it is.

Gatewater first!

Let's see what the hotel has to offer us now, with Miss May safely out of the way.

Oy, this guy.

Quite the performance today, if I dare say so myself.

Oh, um, thanks.

Sorry for putting you on the spot like that.

No, no, not at all, sir!

Huh? "Rep"?

That's one way to book rooms, I guess.

Whoa, whoa! Miss May hasn't been charged with murder.

I, too, will become famous!

This guy has totally flipped his script from just a few hours ago.

(Why do I feel like we're both stuck in the same bad dream...)

Music: Investigation - Opening

This guy is creeping me out, let's look around first before we have to talk to him.

The check marks are all cleared, but only about half of the stuff here really has new text.

That's the "Drawer of Terror, Hiding Place of the Murderer's Wiretap."

(This guy's serious! I don't believe it...)

I can't tell if this bellboy is running the hotel, has permission from the owners, or is just going full-hog with this murder-scene-tourism angle completely on his own.

Nice weather again today.

Just $5.00 will earn you three minutes of a "view to a kill"!

(By that look in his eyes I'd say he was more than serious...)

So creepy...

A bottle and two glasses rest on the table.

Because the background is static and they couldn't fit any space for a modified background on the tiny cartridge they had back then.

It's part of the decor. I call it: "The last drink... before murder!"

We'll be famous! The talk of the hotel industry!

Since this guy is going to butt in on us anyway, might as well talk to him directly now.

About Miss May...

"She'd do it!" I said!

Look on the bright side, at least we convinced one person that Maya is innocent.

Ah, yes...

I knew it from the moment I saw him, sir.

Phoenix makes for me all the comments I'd want to make.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll just drop into our lap. Can't you like tell me his name or something? Or did they both just check in under Miss May?

(A photo. Hmm...)

Could you tell me about this hotel?

Currently. this hotel is known as the "Gatewater."

I propose that we add a subtitle!

A subtitle!?

I'm no marketing expert, but I think most places that host a murderer do not advertise that fact afterwards. On the other hand, Ford's Theatre is both a national historic site and still hosts plays and musicals.

Well? What do you think?

I think someone left this guy with too much power over the hotel.

Anything we present right now just gets the same reaction:

I'm sorry...

I wasn't paying much attention to the evidence.

Well that was a bust. Let's take a quick look at the crime scene again.

Detective Gumshoe's nowhere in sight.

The police really gave this place a working over.

I doubt there are any valuable clues left.

Suppose it can't hurt to take a look around, though.

The game is literally telling us there's no point to being here, at least not yet. Maybe we'll find something that makes coming back here worthwhile later.

The checkmarks are gone, but all of the text is apparently the same. Except for this one...

You couldn't cram more legal books in here, even if you wanted to.

All the cases that the chief worked on are filed here.

Hmm. Are some of the files missing...?

Nah, I'm imagining things.

Turns out Grossberg was the right answer after all, so let's head over there.

Ugh, looks like he's missing until the plot mysteriously requires his presence again.

(Maybe he's avoiding me for some reason?)

We can look around again. Couple of differences here...

Wasn't there an expensive painting here yesterday?

Wasn't there a giant painting hanging on that wall...?

Yeah... yeah, it was a painting of...

There's no one even here to notice or correct us if we're wrong. But I'm pretty sure it was flowers.

quote:

You actually get the same dialogue for all three choices here. Looking back, the correct answer was a fisherman anyway. Oops.

Why would this guy sell the painting? He was practically in love with the thing.

He also said:

It's worth at least three million. I have no intention of parting with it, of course. No, I won't sell it! Not even to you!

Very suspicious...

We also have a photo conveniently left out on the desk.

Something's been written in pencil on the backs.

Sounds a lot like evidence. And we happen to have some missing evidence, that the killer stole from inside the statue-clock in Mia's office. Probably not a coincidence, but why would it end up here?

We'll start with "A"...

Random woman we haven't seen yet. Looks somewhat like Mia, maybe her mother?

I'm sure I've seen this person somewhere...

Perhaps I'll borrow this photo.

I'm sure no one will miss just one little photo.

And it might be a valuable clue... I'll take it for now.

Quietly added, ha!

Let's see the other photo!

Could be the killer? The colors and that swirl of hair on the upper-left all line up. We should probably show it to the bellboy.

Apparently we only get to keep one of the photos.

Less quietly this time, I guess.

quote:

Not looking at either photo:

I don't need it now, whatever it is.

If I ever run out of clues, I'll know where to find these.

(Although I can't be sure the photos will still be here then...)

quote:

Picking "Exhibit B" first:

Why would Grossberg have a picture of this man...?

This might be a valuable clue... I'll take it for now.

I'm just borrowing it. I'll return it later.

quote:

Not switching the photos:

No, on second thought, I'd better not.

Hopefully we're not locked out of switching the photos back and forth later. I'm betting that we'll need to use each one at different points in this phase of the investigation. Since we're looking for Miss May's partner, I keep the male photo for now. In fact, let's go see what she says about the photo.

Already, Miss May has a little more to say to us.

Oh, so it's MY fault now?

You don't just have spiky hair, you also have a spiky heart!

Here's my 10-minute pixel art attempt at Cueball Phoenix:

I've seen worse looks.

Looks like we can revisit this topic.

About the man who stayed with you in your hotel room...

Can you tell me about him? Where is he?

I'm not telling!

Hmm. Would you have sold out the late Ms. Fey to the cops?

No.

See?

(drat!)

Okay, we've got this photo now, let's show it off!

Look, I've said several times, I'm not telling you...

Critical hit!

Where did you...?

This is him, isn't it?

It IS him.

No! No, that's not right.

(Nice try, Miss Cooperative.)

Y-yeah! Proof! Show me proof!

(I'm so close!)

I think I know where we can get some proof...

The bellboy asked for a photo, let's give him one.

Music: Logic and Trick

Um... I'm the lawyer.

Oh, I know that!

(No. No I don't.)

How about I write an affidavit swearing that that's him!

No reason not to, I guess.

Well, sure. Why not?

Yes!

I've always wanted to write an affidavit, sir.

Unless we meet another bellboy in this series, you're always going to be known as just "the bellboy".

Just hurry up and write it.

(Not even Miss May can play dumb to this!)

quote:

If we turn down the bellboy's offer to write the affidavit...

Well thanks, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Oh? Oh, I see. Well later then, if you need it.

We really do need the affidavit, so we have to present the photo again to go back and get the offer again.

Before we go, let's turn that affidavit right around at the bellboy. We've hit the second page of evidence, here, too!

No no no, not at all, sir!

(His tea set is rattling!)

We get a little more dialogue showing the photo again, too.

Sorry to press the matter, but are you sure this is him?

Umm... thanks.

Before we shove that affidavit in Miss May's face, let's head back to Grossberg's office to switch photos, now that we're apparently done with this one.

(Huh? No more photos on the desk...)

Well, that might be a problem. Guess we're off to the detention center again anyway.

quote:

What happens if we show the photo of the woman around instead?

Any thoughts about this photograph?

Who's that? Your mother?

(...)

(*sigh* Looks like I've just been wasting my time.)

Yeah nothing there. How about the bellboy?

What about this photo?

Well, it's a fine photo, sir.

However, the person Miss May was accompanied by was, well, a man.

(Oh... yeah. Right.)

Good point!

What's that?

Such as the man you checked in with.

I guess that's why we couldn't change out the photos, we were still going to use it here.

...!

Looks like we have another decision to make. What should we do?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Clearly we need to Present our badge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Clearly we need to Present our badge.

yeah, bad form to set up a poll for an LP and then leave the correct answer off. :one:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat, Phoenix looking presentable with the shaved head.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If Miss May knew we were a defense attorney, she'd probably be willing to answer our questions. If only we had some evidence to show for that

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
The bellboy is the living embodiment of "Trying Too Hard". Here is a man who always wanted to be a bellboy when he grew up and nothing more. Look ma, top of the world!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

yeah, bad form to set up a poll for an LP and then leave the correct answer off. :one:

I will certainly present it at every opportunity, but this prompt isn't one of them. Just to be sure I tried presenting it again both before and after this scene we left off at (doesn't seem to be a way to do so during the dialogue) and still got the standard "buzz off" lines. Alas, it will come in handy someday, I'm sure of it...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DKII posted:

I will certainly present it at every opportunity, but this prompt isn't one of them. Just to be sure I tried presenting it again both before and after this scene we left off at (doesn't seem to be a way to do so during the dialogue) and still got the standard "buzz off" lines. Alas, it will come in handy someday, I'm sure of it...

As is Wright and proper!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

raifield posted:

The bellboy is the living embodiment of "Trying Too Hard". Here is a man who always wanted to be a bellboy when he grew up and nothing more. Look ma, top of the world!

Yeah, even Michael J Fox got to be a concierge.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 2, 2022

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 28: Episode 2, Day 2, Investigation: A Villain Revealed

No use playing dumb! (If, indeed, that's an act.)

Whaaaaat!?

I'm sure the press would have a field day with his reputation!

...!

Ooooh! Fine! I'll talk!

This is a great bluff, I have no idea what he's talking about but it's working great.

(Yes! Man, that felt good!)

(It's great to be alive!)

Steady, Phoenix, still have to land this bird.

*cough*

Now, tell me about the man you were with.

Finally, we have a name to go with that face. Sounds like this is the same Mr. White of Bluecorp that left a message for Miss May at the hotel yesterday, and possibly the same Mr. White that ruined Mia and Maya's mother. Wait a minute, I think there's another reference from way back in the prologue...

Yeah, I think we've found our killer. Finally.

(Redd... White?)

"Information gathering?"

Hmm...

I don't want to end up like her!

(...!)

It's okay, I'll just ask Mr. White himself.

(Finally, a lead on this guy!)

(Time to take action!)

Happy People

Apparently we don't need that anymore.

We can still show her the photograph again.

How about this photograph?

My lips are sealed!

She's lost her cooperative attitude, though.

We've got a new place to visit, but first I'm going to hit up the old places again.

quote:

Let's take it easy on poor Miss May...

(Okay, okay... she's vulnerable now. I should be gentle.

Miss May...

It would be easy for me to hand this affidavit to the police.

If they get involved, wouldn't your boss be even more... er... inconvenienced?

How do we know who the guy in the picture is? Did the bellboy's affidavit have more detail in it than we were shown?

All I want to do is have a little chat with him.

You won't tell me?

Is that all you have to say?

Yes.

If it's so easy for you to "get the police involved," then why don't you?

Somehow I think you're not up to it, hmm?

(Show them a little kindness and they jump all over you!)

(That had the opposite effect to what I hoped...)

Aww. *smirk* Poor little lawyer...

And you were so close!

(This isn't working...)

(I think I've worn out this piece of paper's usefulness.)

Dammit!

And with that, the bellboy's affidavit is discarded, so we can't reuse it to try again. We haven't opened up Bluecorp on this branch, so what actually happens next? Stay tuned...

Seems the bellboy has wandered off.

Huh? The sound of water coming from the shower...

:stare:

Someone seems to enjoy washing the showers.

Oh, he's just cleaning them. That guy really is full-service.

I guess we can look around again.

The screwdriver is still stuck in the drawer.

I'd better not touch it. No telling what the bellboy would do to me.

Nice weather again today.

I can see the Fey & Co. Law Offices, of course.

A bottle and two glasses rest on the table.

I'd better not touch them. No telling what the bellboy would do to me.

Not as interesting without the bellboy to butt in, alas.

Still nothing new at the crime scene, so let's stop in at Grossberg Law Offices one more time. Maybe we can pick up that other photo now.

The other photo is still gone, but this line can mean only one thing...

The big guy has arrived!

(Ah, that old familiar clearing of the throat...)

Um, hello, Mr. Grossberg.

Well, well.

Excuse me...?

The trial! The trial!

(He was there...?)

Maybe this guy will actually open up and be helpful now?

(I guess something got passed down through Mia... maybe?)

It brings back memories, it does!

I apologize.

?

Seeing you today, I... well, I...

Seriously!

Music: Marvin Grossberg ~ Old Age, Regret, Retribution

Let's get these conversations over with. I kind of just want to shove the photo in his face though.

So you came to see the trial?

Yes, yes I did.

Guilty conscience?

Really? What was that?

Well, you see, it's just... Mia's sister, that poor girl.

My boy, I owe you my thanks, truly.

(If you were that worried about it, why didn't you offer to defend her!?)

I think I have a right to know.

A right, Mr. Wright?

Think about what? This guy is really frustrating.

(He does seem troubled about something...)

Yeah, yeah, I'll get there.

:lol: Pretentious-looking, that'll score some points with the guy.

"Pretentious-looking"...?

Well... you know the one I mean.

Anyway, where did it go?

Ah, yes, well...

I, er, sold it, you see. Yes, that's right.

(Sold it!? I'm not sure I buy that...)

Did something happen?

Please, speak no more of that accursed painting.

I didn't... I...

Right then. Moving on...

Look at my shiny badge!

We get that same reaction for most of our evidence.

Show him this photograph that we stole off of his desk, however...

I'm sorry to have taken it without your knowledge.

But... I have to know. Who is this man?

A-are you QUITE sure? My boy?

(What has him so flustered I wonder...?)

I need to be alone.

(...!)

(I guess I should return that photo.)

Apparently the other photograph, of the woman, was just a red herring, or maybe some foreshadowing?

quote:

If we don't have the man in the photo identified yet, we do get a little more information here...

Excuse me, I was wondering about this photograph...

...! Where did you get that!?

I borrowed it.

Well, give it back at once!

Mr. Grossberg. Tell me about the man in this photo.

He may have been in that hotel room with April May on the night of the murder.

Do you know something about him... anything?

...!

Hmm. Ahem!

Very well. I'll tell you what I know.

However...

You didn't hear it from me, if you follow.

I follow.

That man is Mr. Redd White.

He's the President of Bluecorp.

We do still get our killer identified on this branch, it just takes an extra trip.

(Redd White... Hmm.)

Bluecorp... they're something like a detective agency, right?

They're information pros. They'll sell information, you see. Sensitive information.

Despite his name, Mr. White has the blackest reputation of any man in this country.

Should you run across him, watch what you say.

You wouldn't want him digging up any dirt on you.

(Hmm... selling information. Sounds like blackmail.)

Can you tell me where Bluecorp is located?

Hmm... I suppose.

(Mr. Redd White, at last!)

(Finally, a lead on this guy!)

(Even if April May couldn't have done it, he could have!)

(Time to take action!)

Music: Marvin Grossberg ~ Old Age, Regret, Retribution

At this point, Bluecorp is unlocked as a destination. We also return the photograph to Mr. Grossberg here.

Now, I must ask you to leave.

I need to think about things. Alone.

One of the more interesting branches in the game, spanning two different locations and conversations!

Any attempts at conversation at this point just get us the same lines:

Mr. Grossberg...?

(He barely even glanced in my direction...)

All the action in this update, just to unlock one new location. We don't even end up with any new evidence (the affidavit and the photo are both gone). This Mr. Redd White guy better be worth it!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay April May is a cromulent name, but Redd White??? Come on that's obviously a fake name, these people are jerkin you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Question- do we need to talk to Grossberg to progress? IE- could we press April hard to identify Mr. White, then skip talking to Grossberg and keep the photo? I'm betting it's useless even if we can, but I'm still curious.

That caption on the back has me curious, too. What is the DL-6 Incident? Maybe it will come up again when we meet Mr. White.

Geez, with that name I can't help but wonder if he's related to a certain Clue character who was also a potential murderer. :)