Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Welcome to "Whose Legal System Is It Anyway?", where the laws are made up and the jury doesn't matter.

I know almost nothing about this game or series going in, so here's what I gleaned from the first paragraph about it on Wikipedia:
  • It's a visual novel adventure game
  • It's published by Capcom and first came out on the Game Boy Advance in Japan in 2001
  • It got ported to the Nintendo DS in 2005 for its first release outside of Japan
  • It's the first entry in a series with several mainline games and spinoffs

I've heard a lot of praise about this game and series but never played any of them, so we'll be doing a blind run here. All I know is there's an angry guy in a blue suit who likes to point a lot and yell "Objection!", sounds like a pretty mundane courtroom story, right? Since I'm doing this blind, no spoilers of any kind, please (including for future games). I'll ask for help if I need it....

This will be a screenshot LP, though I'll post videos of the cinematics that begin each episode. I'm playing the trilogy version on Windows since it's easiest for me to record; upside for you is you get some higher-res images out of it. What that means for the future.... Well, one step at a time. Feel free to point out any differences from other versions as we get there.

Jump straight to the beginning here. You can browse for the update you want below, but some of the text in the table of contents could be considered spoilers. You have been warned....

Table of Contents

DKII fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Spoilers ahead! Here is a handy link (courtesy of Zulily Zoetrope) that can take you to the start of the first update and view just one of my posts per page. Otherwise you can jump straight to the update you want in the Table of Contents above if you want to avoid what follows in this post. If you're prepared, feel free to scroll down...

Cast of Characters

Phoenix Wright (Age: 24) - Our main character, he doesn't get an in-game profile because he's us and we're him.

Mia Fey (Age: 27) - Chief Attorney at Fey & Co. My boss, and a very good defense attorney.

Larry Butz (Age: 23) - The defendant in Episode 1. A likeable guy who has been Phoenix's friend since grade school.

Cindy Stone (Age: 22) - The victim in Episode 1. A model, she lived in an apartment by herself.

Winston Payne (Age: 52) - The prosecutor for Episode 1. Lacks presence. Generally bad at getting his points across.

Frank Sahwit (Age: 36) - Discovered Ms. Stone's body. Newspaper salesman who saw Larry flee the scene.

Maya Fey (Age: 17) - Mia's little sister. Found bent over her sister's body, crying.

Dick Gumshoe (Age: 30) - Detective at the local precinct. In charge of the initial investigation.

Miles Edgeworth (Age: 24) - A gifted prosecutor, and a ruthless man who'd do anything to get a "guilty" verdict.

April May (Age: 23) - An eye witness to the events of Episode 2. Testifies that she saw Maya commit the murder.

Marvin Grossberg (Age: 64) - A veteran defense attorney, and Mia's mentor.

Bellboy (Age: 26) - Bellboy at the Gatewater Hotel.

Redd White (Age: 39) - An eye witness. CEO of the information gathering company, Bluecorp.

Will Powers (Age: 23) - The defendant. Action star who plays the title role in "The Steel Samurai" TV show.

Security Lady (Age: ??) - Security guard at Global Studios. Claims she saw Powers heading to the scene.

Jack Hammer (Age: 37) - The victim. A former big name action star. Played the role of the Evil Magistrate.

Assistant (Age: 18) - Name: Penny Nichols. Assistant at Global Studios in charge of large props and set pieces.

The Director (Age: 32) - Name: Sal Manella. Creator of "The Steel Samurai." Present on the day of the crime.

Cody Hackins (Age: 7) - A big fan of the Steel Samurai. Present at the studio on the day of the crime.

Dee Vasquez (Age: 34) - High-ranking producer at Global Studios. Present on the day of the crime.

Lotta Hart (Age: 22) - Claims to be a research student. She's camped out to photograph shooting stars.

Robert Hammond (Age: 48) - The victim in Episode 4. Also, the defense attorney in the DL-6 Incident.

Misty Fey (Age: 46) - Mia and Maya's mother, and a spirit medium. Disappeared after the DL-6 Incident.

Gregory Edgeworth (Deceased) - Victim in the DL-6 Incident, 15 years ago. A defense attorney and Miles's father.

Manfred von Karma (Age: 65) - Veteran prosecutor who hasn't lost a case in his 40-year career. Edgeworth's mentor.

Old Caretaker (Age: ??) - Caretaker of the boat rental shop in Gourd Lake Park. Thinks he runs a restaurant.

Ema Skye (Age: 16) - High School Junior and self-styled scientific investigator.

Lana Skye (Age: 29) - The defendant. Ema's sister, and Chief Prosecutor for the district.

Angel Starr (Age: 31) - Mysterious lunchlady. Witness to the murder, known as the "Cough-Up Queen."

Jake Marshall (Age: 33) - A patrolman investigating the incident at the Prosecutor's Office. Thinks he's a cowboy.

Bruce Goodman (Age: 36) - The victim, and a good man. Detective in charge of homicide in Criminal Affairs, Div. 1.

Damon Gant (Age: 65) - District Chief of Police. Though he might not seem it, he's top dog in the P.D.

Mike Meekins (Age: 22) Patrolman with General Affairs. Suspected of killing Goodman in the evidence room.

Joe Darke (Deceased) - Serial killer responsible for the SL-9 Incident two years ago. Was given the death penalty.

Neil Marshall (Deceased) - Prosecutor murdered two years ago in the SL-9 Incident. Jake Marshall's brother.

Soundtrack
  1. The First Turnabout
  2. Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture
  3. Trial
  4. Questioning - Moderato
  5. Logic and Trick
  6. Objection!
  7. Questioning - Allegro
  8. Pressing Pursuit - Cornered
  9. Telling the Truth
  10. Suspense
  11. Pressing Pursuit - Cornered - Variation
  12. Jingle - It Can't End Here
  13. Investigation - Opening
  14. Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme
  15. Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy
  16. Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal
  17. Recollection - Heartbroken Maya
  18. Marvin Grossberg ~ Old Age, Regret, Retribution
  19. Happy People
  20. Recollection ~ Light and Shadow of the Film Studio
  21. The Steel Samurai
  22. Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident
  23. Investigation - Core
  24. Recollection ~ Class Trial
  25. Victory! The First Victory
  26. End
  27. Turnabout Sisters Ballad
  28. Rise from the Ashes
  29. Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident
  30. Ema Skye ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme
  31. The Blue Badger ~ I Want to Protect You
  32. Jake Marshall ~ The Detective from the Wild West
  33. Damon Gant ~ Swimming, Anyone?
  34. Rise from the Ashes - End
  35. The Steel Samurai (Ringtone)

Voiced Exclamations

The attorneys in this game really like to shout out in court. Here are their voice lines:

Phoenix Wright:

Miles Edgeworth:

Winston Payne:

Manfred von Karma:

Sound Effects

A handful of sound effects that we've come across so far:

Other Stuff

Some funny videos for after you've seen a certain scene in Part 21 / Episode 2:

I'll just leave this one right here for those who have seen the first day of trial in Episode 3... (by wologar):

This cute video references something at the end of the first update of the last day of trial for Episode 4.

Finally, a merry Christmas wish from an Episode 4 villain (courtesy of GilliamYaeger):

Keeping space free to separate the spoilers above - don't scroll up if you want to avoid them!

DKII fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 9, 2024

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 1: Episode 1, Prologue: A Bloody Opening

All right, let's do this! I'm ready to meet the pointing guy.

But first I guess I'll look at the game options? Pretty standard list here I guess.

This page seems more important, not sure I'd figure out which random keys did what otherwise. I'll probably keep this image up while I'm playing.

We've got the first three games in this bundle, but we're here for the original classic. Just, in high-res form.

I can already tell our first case is going to be fun with that cover image. If our theme is going to be "Turnabouts", I gather we're a defense attorney?

Okay, let's go!

Music: The First Turnabout

Video: Episode 1 Prologue

Quick note about music and video links - I put them in Polsy to avoid any spoilers from related links or comments, so if you're trying to avoid those stick to the Polsy page and don't click through to the original YouTube page. The video has the entire opening cinematic for this episode; pretty much the entire update, just without my witty commentary. The video does have full resolution, though....

Looks like... dripping blood?

That's an... interesting murder weapon. Assuming that's what we're looking at here.

Yeah, I've watched enough CSI and Law and Order to recognize a theatrically-posed dead body. The blood pooling is a nice touch, though.

I assume we're seeing the murder happen here as some kind of background for the case? We're not the murderer ourselves right? Though that would be an interesting game - kill people and then defend yourself in court!

The screen shakes as the second line here comes up. The shaking appears to be a storytelling device to convey a shakiness/high emotion level in whoever's speaking; it'll happen a lot, but I probably won't bother to point it out every time. The context already given is usually enough on its own.

Oh are they just going to show us the killer?

At least we'll recognize the guy with the forehead mark (is it a tilak?) later on when we see him.

Well that's an evil-looking smirk.

This screen flashes for half a second, but you can stare at it all you like.

Whoever "HE" is, I'm guessing we'll be defending him. So far this looks like a Matlock episode.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 2: Episode 1, Pre-Trial: Meet the Cast

Cut to... elsewhere.

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

Hey that's us! This game is first-person? Also, good time to point out that internal monologue is in parentheses and colored text like in this screenshot.

Looks like we're about to meet Mia.

That's... not even remotely courtroom-appropriate attire.

Oh, h-hiya, Chief.

Yeah I'm not going to screenshot every single line of dialogue. My text will have no icon in front, game text will have an icon like the one above. And I know we haven't technically seen ourselves yet, but well I already saw this much on the store page when I bought the game so I already know what we look like here; I'll use this generic sprite any time that Phoenix talks and we can't see him. Also, the screen shook here, so apparently we're nervous talking to our boss?

Whew, I'm glad I made it on time.

Well, I have to say Phoenix, I'm impressed!

Right off the bat? Did we just start here?

It says a lot about you... and your client as well.

Um... thanks.

Actually, it's because I owe him a favor.

That must be a hell of a favor...

You mean, you knew the defendant before this case?

Yes.

Actually, I kind of owe my current job to him.

He's one of the reasons I became an attorney.

Right about here I notice the commands we have throughout this dialogue, and since I have no idea what I'm doing I decide to check them out now instead of waiting for the proper time.

Hitting "Escape" gives us the same options as before, except an additional line at the time for saving/loading. Apparently we can do that at any time here, which is a nice convenience.

Might as well save while we're here. I guess this really is the trial itself already?

Hitting "Tab" brings up what's basically our inventory screen for the game. That'll come up more later.

We only have two things right now - our attorney's badge (looks like we really are a defense attorney) and the autopsy report for the victim. If these two things are really all the evidence we have as a murder trial is starting, our client is screwed.

Mia is our boss and apparently the named partner of the firm at only 27. Good thing she's here to help us out I guess. We'll look at the other two characters a little later...

I just... really want to help him. I owe him that much.

A new voice, with a special colored font! Also, this time parentheses means background voice? It's definitely not internal monologue as we'll see shortly.

Is that your client screaming over there?

Yeah... it's him.

Heavy screen shaking on this one. This person seems rather upset, if you couldn't already tell from the words.

It sounds like he wants to die...

Um, yeah. *sigh*

Oh lord it's anime crying eyes. And this guy is seriously named Butz? And who's Nick?

Hey. Hey there, Larry.

What?!

Gimme the death sentence! I ain't afraid to die!

Okay we're definitely not putting this guy on the stand.

What!? What's wrong, Larry?

I can't live in a world without her! I can't!

Who... who took her away from me, Nick? Who did this?!

Aww, Nick, ya gotta tell me! Who took my baby away!?

I guess we're "Nick", maybe a nickname for Phoenix? Phoe-nicks?

(Hmm... The person responsible for your girlfriend's death?)

The red text is I guess when something important comes up? We already knew we were a defense attorney and that this clown is our client, but this line confirms that the victim was the guy's girlfriend. And if you've ever watched any true crime shows, you know the boyfriend/husband always did it.

We fade out for a little more backstory...

Here's the story:

My first case is a fairly simple one.

The guy they arrested was the unlucky sap dating her:

I don't know why that text would be highlighted.

He has a knack for getting himself in trouble.

One thing I can say though: it's usually not his fault. He just has terrible luck.

But I know better than anyone, that he's a good guy at heart.

That and I owe him one. Which is why I took the case... to clear his name.

And that's just what I'm going to do!

Yeah, we will! I'm fired up coach, next time let's show off our supreme lawyerly skills!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:dance: Here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance:

I'm going to enjoy seeing this LP through to the bitter end.

quote:

We only have two things right now - our attorney's badge (looks like we really are a defense attorney) and the autopsy report for the victim. If these two things are really all the evidence we have as a murder trial is starting, our client is screwed.

Here's hoping it doesn't become a habit. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Another brave soul taking a strike at the AA games. I wish you the best of luck.

Pretty sure none of the other ones were blind playthroughs, though, so this ought to be doubly interesting. :getin:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’ve never played these games. I am also not a lawyer

But I’m reasonably certain your client screaming “I’m guilty!” in the courtroom lobby is not a great way to start the trial.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
An AA LP, here on this forum? I'm going to follow this, I love this series to pieces. I hope this'll last to the end.

I'm ready for a display of the best lawyering skills around.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ooooh, always fun to see a blind playthrough of one of these games.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

We will watch your career with great interest

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I find your LP ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your legal briefings.

Good luck, the PW games are favorites of mine and I will watch you enjoy pointy blue man shouting "OBJECTION!" for as long as you like.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this series is so iconic that it's honestly a joy seeing someone go in completely blind

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Don't wanna be the guy going wink wink nudge nudge, but man your blind reactions are gonna be great and can't wait for the Ace Attorneyness to unfold.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Blaziken386 posted:

this series is so iconic that it's honestly a joy seeing someone go in completely blind

:emptyquote:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Oh boy, you're in for something special. Playing this blind is gonna be interesting.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
:sickos:

I'll probably be following the next 30 years of this LP.

wologar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2022

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Hell yeah, ground floor. It's always a delight to see something like this.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, for anyone else as eager to see stuff as I am: probably don't do, like, any wink-nudge stuff? As a matter of personal taste, I'd be annoyed if I was LPing and people were like "I love this next part!" and "This guy comes back later, and he's just as douchey then" and "If you think this is crazy, just wait until the next time. . ."

So, you know, I'll get it all out now. drat, I'm excited for this, and I can't wait for... an awful lot of things!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, AA. The game which strangely enough inspired me to undertake my translation work for the BSS comic thread - I read an interview with one of the translators who really underlined the fact that literal translation (particularly when it comes to fiction) is usually secondary to translation of meaning into the new language.

While I am of the opinion that some of it hasnae aged well, on the whole it's a good series - I'll be glad to see this!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I've developed some carpal tunnel while writing up the next update, so unfortunately I'm going to have to abandon this LP.

Nah, just kidding. I'll have the next update out tonight. I have a bit of a backlog, actually - I'm aiming to get out two updates a week (probably smaller in size like the last two).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I can't believe I fell for that.

I've only played the first two games in this trilogy, so I'm looking forward to seeing this play out (but should probably get a version of Trials and Tribulations myself just in case).

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 3: Episode 1, Trial: A Little Test

It's 13 minutes later, and we're now in the courtroom to defend our pal Larry Butz from charges of murdering his girlfriend. Wait, did that say August 3rd? Didn't the autopsy report say the murder happened on July 31st? Did our knucklehead of a friend get himself arrested so bad that the trial is somehow starting just three days later?

There we are, in that beautiful blue suit. Odd courtroom layout; is the jury already seated, and split onto two sides?

I love this animation and I will show it off every chance I get. Order in the court! It comes with a nice loud sound effect, too!

Music: Trial

This judge looks like he should be meditating at a shrine atop a lonely mountain somewhere.

Payne strikes me as the model of competence, like every prosecutor in a media form about defense attorneys. :rolleyes:

Wait, Mia said this was our first trial. She meant with her firm, right? Not that it's our first trial ever? We're just going to jump straight into a murder trial?

The judge apparently slept through the introductions. No, really, his eyes were closed for the that whole line.

Mr. Wright?

This is your first trial, is it not?

Oh boy, we're screwed, aren't we?

Murder is a serious charge. For your client's sake, I hope you can control your nerves.

Thank... thank you, Your Honor.

Mr. Wright, given the circumstances...

I think we should have a test to ascertain your readiness.

Yes, it's called the bar exam. Well, I smell a tutorial coming, bring it on.

Yes, Your Honor.

Uh, are we gonna be okay, here? I hope that was an internal expression to go along with that internal monologue...

One moment, Your Honor.

Look, I have no idea what's coming, all right?

I just saved, so I guess we can check out the joke options. First... are we the defendant ourselves?

I know this is a tutorial and maybe not every player would know this, but really? No one passing the bar isn't going to know this one.

Mia is likewise less than impressed.

You're his lawyer!

I like how her sprite flips from sad to mad here.

Um, er, eh? Oh yeah, right! Eh heh heh.

You did pass the bar, didn't you?

Fortunately, the judge kindly pretends to not hear what an idiot we are and just asks the same question again. This time let's pretend we're stupid enough to think Mia is the defendant:

I have to go home. I'm... I'm expecting a delivery.

Mia knows a train wreck when she sees one.

Aw, c'mon Chief. There's no need to be going so soon, is there?

The defendant is the one on trial--your client!

More screen-shaking for the last two lines. I think I'll stop reporting on that now; it's not really adding much.

I mean, that's about as basic as you can get!

(I put my foot in it this time! I've got to relax!)

Sorry, I couldn't hear your answer. I'll ask once more:

Same reaction from the judge, and we're back at the same question. Selecting the wrong option multiple times doesn't change any of the dialogue, so let's go with the correct answer this time:

We literally met Larry in the last scene, if the player can't remember that then I doubt the rest of the game is going to be a picnic.

Just keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.

Next question:

I think we're going to cover the "Court Record" menu I peeked at earlier. I didn't see a "case report", though. Should I have?

I like how we don't even get prompted yet and we're still freaking out.

(No... no way! I forgot! I'm drawing a total blank here!)

I thought we might get prompted and I legitimately couldn't remember this woman's name, so I snuck a peek at the record again. The autopsy just mentions "Cindy", but the profiles here have the full names. Here's our goofy defendant.

And our victim.

The prosecutor's profile is... unkind.

You don't even know the victim's name!?

I, um, just forgot. ...Temporarily.

I think I feel a migraine coming on.

Just press "Tab" to check it at any time, okay?

Remember to check it often. Do it for me, please. I'm begging you.

Relax, we've got this.

It's Mia, right?

Um... Mia Fey?

W-W-What!? How can I be the victim!?

Oh! Right! Sorry! I, er, it was the first name that popped into my head, and--

Same options here. I'm pretty sure it started with a "C", and Cinder Block sounds like the kind of goofy name that'd show up in an anime style like this game, so let's go with that!

:iceburn:

A mistake in court could cost you the case.

Okay, I get it, the court record is going to be important here.

It's Cindy Stone!

Yikes even when we know the answer he's not real confident.

Now, tell me, what was the cause of death?

If you really don't know, go back to the last update and check the autopsy report again. Maybe she was poisoned?

Mia just can't with this guy anymore.

Check the court record.

(Geez. Give a guy a break!)

Let me ask again.

Right, how about strangled?

Even the judge has to shake his head at that one.

Ouch.

I suppose there's nothing to do but give you another try:

And the correct answer is:

Correct.

Plus, if we lose, at least our client can appeal on the grounds of having an incompetent defense attorney!

You seem much more relaxed, Mr. Wright. Good for you.

Thank you, Your Honor.

(Because I don't FEEL relaxed, that's for sure.)

I'm sure this will go great. Next time: The first witness!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Oh man, blind Ace Attorney? Godspeed. I'm so gonna be following this.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Your Honor, my client would like to plead insanity. Among the evidence, he hired me as his lawyer.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh man have fun!! i gotta finish up aa3 hd myself but these games are a real Blast! maybe phoenix should like, take a few deep breaths or smth :ohdear:

tho, if ur cool with it i'd rec turning the textbox transparency all the way up to high in the settings, since otherwise the sprites get blocked off by the textboxes

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

We call the judge Santa.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Your Honor, my client would like to plead insanity. Among the evidence, he hired me as his lawyer.

Walla posted:

We call the judge Santa.

Those are both excellent.

Booky posted:

tho, if ur cool with it i'd rec turning the textbox transparency all the way up to high in the settings, since otherwise the sprites get blocked off by the textboxes

Eh, I"ll try it out but I usually dislike free-floating text even more. It's probably too late for Episode 1 but I haven't seen a lot of important scenery there yet.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

achtungnight posted:

:emptyquote:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

achtungnight posted:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

They say a man who represents himself has a fool for a client - well, as God as my witness, they've not seen Phoenix Wright!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I think we should be giving him a bit of slack guys, I'm pretty sure real life lawyers don't get sent to defend a murder trial that has had like 3 days of prep time as their first one.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Just going to mention this, the Pheonix Wright games are a parody of the Japanese Court system. No Jury, 99% conviction rate, Defense Lawyers are considered Scum and are expected to lose.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Be fair, criminal defense attorneys are typically treated as scum in the US as well.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

DKII posted:

Those are both excellent.

Eh, I"ll try it out but I usually dislike free-floating text even more. It's probably too late for Episode 1 but I haven't seen a lot of important scenery there yet.

iirc its not really free floating, it just makes the boxes more transparent but its still There (like in the og+ds releases)

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

ChaosStar0 posted:

Just going to mention this, the Pheonix Wright games are a parody of the Japanese Court system. No Jury, 99% conviction rate, Defense Lawyers are considered Scum and are expected to lose.

The 99% conviction rate is a bit of a misnomer; 99% of cases that make it to court are successful convictions.

The US's is, like, 94%.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Faillen Angel posted:

The US's is, like, 94%.

:eyepop:

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

ChaosStar0 posted:

From what I've read, this wasn't entirely intended by the creators for the first game (not that it isn't here, it very much is, it just wasn't their explicit goal when they made the game), but it is a bit more prominent in the later games in the series.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
This must be the start of Mia's descent into alcoholism.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 4: Episode 1, Trial: Should Have Taken the Fifth

Well, then...

As Mr. Wright just told us, the victim was struck with a blunt object.

Would you explain to the court just what the "object" was?

Where does this game take place? It's not exactly following normal criminal procedure for the US, so maybe Japan? In the US we would have opening statements, and then the prosecutor would introduce evidence via questioning the crime scene techs / police officers that found it. I guess we're streamlining a bit for the game format, anyway.

It was found lying on the floor, next to the victim.

I see... The court accepts it into evidence.

No need to show the entry in the Court Record, it's exactly the same as here.

Be sure to pay attention to any evidence added during the trial.

That evidence is the only ammunition you have in court.

Use "Tab" to check the Court Record frequently.

Mia is already regretting hiring us.

Never not going to show it.

Cool, I wonder who we're going to see.

Huh? You, like, can't do that. At least in the US, the defendant has the right to not testify / self-incriminate. There's a whole constitutional amendment about it. I guess Japan is different? Look up "take the fifth" if you want to learn more about it.

Pay attention. You don't want to miss any information that might help your client's case.

You'll get your chance to respond to the prosecution later, so be ready!

Let's just hope he doesn't say anything... unfortunate.

Yeah, let's hope...

Yup we're screwed. "Pay attention" was not the advice I was hoping for. More like, "How do we object to this entire proceeding and make him shut up?"

:cripes: Ugh, I can't watch.

We were great together! We were Romeo and Juliet, Cleopatra and Mark Anthony!

This guy...

Excellent reaction Phoenix, you're doing great, keep it up.

WHAT'S IT TO YOU, ANYWAY!?

Just motive for murder, that's all...

In fact, she had completely abandoned you... and was seeing other men!

She had just returned from overseas with one of them the day before the murder!

Maybe we can make use of that fact - other men means other people involved that could have their own motives.

Whaddya mean, "one of them"!?

If we could just get our client to shut up.

Lies! All of it, lies! I don't believe a word of it!

According to this, she was in Paris until the day before she died.

More evidence is cool and all, but this passport just proves she was traveling, not what she was doing there. Wasn't she a model? Wouldn't a lot of travel be expected for that job?

Dude... no way...

It appears that she had several "Sugar Daddies."

Daddies? Sugar?

Yes. Older men, who gave her money and gifts.

She took their money and used it to support her lifestyle.

Objection, counsel is testifying, and assuming facts not in evidence. Seriously where is my "Objection" button?

We can clearly see what kind of woman this Ms. Stone was.

I thought it was usually the defense attorney's job to smear the victim?

I don't think you want him to answer that question.

Finally, maybe we can stop this mess!

I really enjoy this animation, too. I was expecting a yell and a point though!

My client had no idea the victim was seeing other men!

There's my point! Go get 'em.

Phoenix uses "Point"! It's super-effective!

Effective against the prosecutor anyway. Our idiot client still won't shut up.

That cheatin' she-dog!

I'm gonna die. I'm just gonna drop dead!

I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

Okay, that went poorly. What would have happened if we'd just let him respond to the question?

No fun point on this path.

Well, Mr. Butz?

The rest plays out the same from here. So apparently that choice didn't matter much. I assume we'll have more meaningful choices later?

Maybe? I was pretty convinced he didn't actually know he'd been dumped.

That is not an appropriately neutral comment from a judge, sheesh.

Relax, motive is just one part of the means-motive-opportunity triangle. They still have to prove he could have done it. And they already proved he's too stupid to have done it.

You went to the victim's apartment on the day of the murder, did you not?

Oh poo poo I sure hope not. Wait is that who we saw back in the prologue?

Gulp!

Well, did you, or did you not?

:ughh:

(Uh oh. He went.)

Hmm. I think we're fresh out of law school and probably still believe in not supporting perjury and all that, so let's have him tell the truth. They probably know the truth anyway.

(I know! I'll send him a signal...)

I... have no words. That was amazing! Though it doesn't seem like it would be terribly effective...

The jury of talking heads buzzes with that revelation, complete with a conversation sound effect. All I can think about while looking at that image is the head-in-a-jar museum in Futurama.

Order!

Well, Mr Butz?

She wasn't home, man... So, like, I didn't see her.

Hey, there's the "Objection!" I was expecting. It comes complete with a voiced line, too! Weird time for us to butt in though. That voice is more whiny than I would have thought for us, too.

Oh, never mind, it was this guy. Boo. Pretty sure you can't just stand up and declare that the witness is lying, either. That has to be done after providing the evidence/testimony that contradicts what he just said here.

This judge has made it 100 years practicing law without ever hearing of someone lying.

Rule #1 for lawyers is don't ask a question you don't want answered. The only exception to that rule is when the answer doesn't matter; like here, when you have a witness that can make the answer to the question irrelevant and make the defendant look bad either way. Since we told Mr. Butz to tell the truth and he ended up getting called a liar anyway, what happens if we tell him to lie?

...How is that at all conveying that message?

Ah, the trademark lie of perjurers everywhere.

Well then, we'll just have to remind you!

(I got a bad feeling about this...)

The rest is the same from there, so let's move on.

Just before making the gruesome discovery...

The jury buzzes again... Or for the first time if you chose to tell Larry to lie...

Mr. Payne, the prosecution may call its witness.

Yes, Your Honor.

(This is bad...)

On the day of the murder, my witness was selling newspapers at the victim's building.

I guess we're done with Larry then. Thankfully. Who could this new witness be? We'll find out next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I looked it up and Japan’s Constitution does have a protection against self incrimination called Article 38. I’m not surprised they’re taking some liberties with the legal system in this game. Usually the prosecution starts off by establishing there was a murder- a police officer testifying about finding the body on a call is the usual way. The game just skips over that. At least being seen leaving the scene alone is not evidence of our client’s guilt. Although if his fingerprints are on the weapon, that would be bad.