Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hated how in LWU they set up the charging as some big thing they’d have to contend with and then after like the first episode never talked about it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hated how in LWU they set up the charging as some big thing they’d have to contend with and then after like the first episode never talked about it again

Because their solution was to get a giant diesel generator; various ones are in the background of the episodes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but it was supposed to be some challenge they have to overcome and they just put in the Konami code

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right but it was supposed to be some challenge they have to overcome and they just put in the Konami code

Yeah. It sucks.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I think they did the best they could given the reality of charging infrastructure along the route. Imo it was still nowhere near as enjoyable to watch as the previous two, and didn't really make a good case for electric bikes either. Had they waited a few years/a decade it probably would have gone a lot better.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’d rather watch Itchy Boots’ adventure than any of the Long Way Arounds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bizwank posted:

I think they did the best they could given the reality of charging infrastructure along the route. Imo it was still nowhere near as enjoyable to watch as the previous two, and didn't really make a good case for electric bikes either. Had they waited a few years/a decade it probably would have gone a lot better.

It made me really want a Rivian.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

I don't know how she does it sometimes, the content is consistently good and well edited and she does it all by herself in rented rooms.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rusty posted:

I don't know how she does it sometimes, the content is consistently good and well edited and she does it all by herself in rented rooms.

Somehow I'd never heard of Itchy Boots. This is exactly what I want to watch.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Strife posted:

Somehow I'd never heard of Itchy Boots. This is exactly what I want to watch.
It's really good, he youtube showed up in my feed and I watched a few and thought they were good, so I went back and watched the whole season, and it's quite something. Seeing so much of central america from back roads and unknown towns is neat and she really has a way with the locals so she gets lots of help and tips on neat areas to explore. She takes a lot of risks it seems, but never has any major issues besides dumping her bike on terrible back roads. It reminds me of the old Lonely Planet shows they had on the travel channel, except on a 300cc rally bike.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
There's an interview with Itchy Boots on the Revzilla Podcast, never seen her channel though. Seems nice.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rusty posted:

It's really good, he youtube showed up in my feed and I watched a few and thought they were good, so I went back and watched the whole season, and it's quite something. Seeing so much of central america from back roads and unknown towns is neat and she really has a way with the locals so she gets lots of help and tips on neat areas to explore. She takes a lot of risks it seems, but never has any major issues besides dumping her bike on terrible back roads. It reminds me of the old Lonely Planet shows they had on the travel channel, except on a 300cc rally bike.

That's what I loved the most about Long Way Round, which is very obviously absent from Long Way Up. YouTube likes suggesting poo poo to me like Yammynoob and Blockhead and Chase on Two Wheels who're all loving terrible, so I'm annoyed Itchy Boots never came up, because I'm really enjoying her videos of the few I've watched this morning.

Sagar Sheldekar is another really good one. He mostly just reviews bikes that he can get there in India, but he really rides the hell out of them and has a lot of very honest opinions on them. And his cinematography combined with the areas he rides through are beautiful. Also watching someone ride a Hyabusa through a rainforest and rip a wheelie in the rain makes me feel like I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle, which is always very humbling.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/ktm-husqvarna-continental-tkc80-tire-recall/

Seems like it's not KTM's fault for once. As this also affects some BMW models it seems.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

thank god a tkc80 is done in <1000mi

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

thank god a tkc80 is done in <1000mi

You'd think that but middle aged men riding to and from work very slowly disagree

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Strife posted:

That's what I loved the most about Long Way Round, which is very obviously absent from Long Way Up. YouTube likes suggesting poo poo to me like Yammynoob and Blockhead and Chase on Two Wheels who're all loving terrible, so I'm annoyed Itchy Boots never came up, because I'm really enjoying her videos of the few I've watched this morning.

yea you gotta block those crappy and annoying youtubers like yammynoob who are paying to show up on your feed, then better stuff like itchy boots will show up lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

i really dislike how all her videos are like DANGER GANGS NON-WHITE PEOPLE and then she rides through the area and everyone is pleasant.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't that to do with gaming the bullshit algorithm?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

i really dislike how all her videos are like DANGER GANGS NON-WHITE PEOPLE and then she rides through the area and everyone is pleasant.

Any videos I remember where the thumbnails were like that, it was usually either the police/military telling her "hey don't go there, we'll take you over here to get where you're going" or locals being like "hey white lady, there's gang activity over that direction be careful" and she's going to a different direction anyway, but I didn't catch all of the central america episodes.

Since she has lived in Panama prior for work, I assume she also knows most areas are friendly and she's just having to feed the algorithm "fake" danger since it's her income, which i don't begrudge since apparently the thumbnail can make or break the video view wise.

Edit: The overall colonial notion of a white dutch woman, benefiting monetarily off of traveling through non white countries and creating content for largely white audiences on a platform owned by google is not lost on me. But poo poo i need just a little something to enjoy, so cognitive dissonance can have this one.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 27, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My lily white rear end watches Itchy Boots with my Mexican-American partner and her Filipino husband and she’s one of the things we all agree on when we need a wholesome break from the world.

I’m not saying she’s perfect or that there haven’t been some videos playing that algorithm, but I feel like this household is way more sensitive than most to white nonsense and we haven’t had a “we need to talk about Noraly” conversation.

I asked my partner just now to be sure I wasn’t misremembering and she said while it wasn’t a high bar, Itchy Boots is better than basically any other white person she’s ever seen doing travel media that part of the world.

Yeah, that dynamic you’re describing is accurate to a certain extent but she’s so far above other people doing content like this that I think you can watch guilt free.

yeah

My intent was to point out that this is ridiculous but I worked too long today and should just go to bed.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 27, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

it's def algo gaming poo poo, but as the content creator she doesn't have to play into it.

like she has a video titled "They try to trap me in Honduras DANGEROUS" and the thumbnail has TRAP! when in reality she rolls up to a gatehouse and a dude on a cell phone quickly lets down the rope gate. just super unnecessary when she has all that other stunning footage.

and like i said it irks me. i'm not trying to cancel itchy boots.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Geekboy posted:

My intent was to point out that this is ridiculous but I worked too long today and should just go to bed.

lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was at my local dealer picking up an air filter and saw this SR400. I didn't even realise they sold these here (2017 was the last year). Looks so good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kickstart only

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The way god intended

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would unironically quite like a modern naked i4 literbike with kick start only. I think between efi, modern low friction design, and only having to compress 250cc at a time, it would be pretty sweet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just move to the top of a hill and bump start it every morning

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like, valve spring pressure, cam overlap and duration have all been on a downward trend because of stricter emissions standards. Oil pumps have become more efficient, engine oil has become thinner at cold temperatures, crank case pumping losses have been reduced, moving parts have become lighter. Each individual kick would never face a power pulse more intense than the average 250F.

On a 600 you'd barely feel it, with the added bonus of saving considerable weight from the lack of a battery (lipo get out), starter motor, starter sprag gears and associated case mass. I honestly think it would work really well.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

woops, wrong thread!!!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Suzuki is finally moving on from the 650cc v-twin it seems

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/all-new-suzuki-v-strom-breaks-cover-spy-shots-no-more-v2

:rip:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lame. p twins suck

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

right arm posted:

lame. p twins suck

Aren’t 270 degree ptwins popular now?

Edit: I guess that doesn’t mean they don’t suck, I’ve never ridden one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Euro5 kills another one.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

epswing posted:

Aren’t 270 degree ptwins popular now?

Edit: I guess that doesn’t mean they don’t suck, I’ve never ridden one

they’re popular in the sense that they’re cheaper to build so everyone’s doing them now. they’re fine, but a v twin is always more fun

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I remember Slavvy saying that the p-twin is good for meeting emissions regulations. Is it just because they're cheaper to build, so you can then spend the extra money on emissions stuff?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

I remember Slavvy saying that the p-twin is good for meeting emissions regulations. Is it just because they're cheaper to build, so you can then spend the extra money on emissions stuff?

Less internal losses, better thermal efficiency, much cheaper to make. It's the last part that actually matters. When your old design is obsolescent and you have to choose a new development path, you'll go p-twin.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They also package well.

They're about as interesting as toothpaste though.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I quite like the engine in my MT-07, but it'd be a lot cooler if it were a v-twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like my PlayStation well enough but I think it would be more fun if it were a v twin.