Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

god damnit! we need to start emitting more to darken the skies! someone do something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
We could cover the Earth with a tarp

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pink Mist posted:

:hmmyes:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
easy solution:
1. enclose earth in plastic sphere
2. add air conditioning units to the sphere

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i have an air conditioner right here, happy to help

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Microplastics posted:

Lol

In India there was a snake problem so the government paid people to hunt snakes, so people bred snakes to get the payments, so the government stopped paying people to hunt snakes, so the snake breeders released all their snakes, so there were more snakes than to begin with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Decades posted:

I just feel like if we've arrived at the stage of collapse where we're trapped in a transparently terminal feedback loop making it obvious that the rest of history would just be all of civilization getting progressively ground into a fine powder of microplastics, concrete, and bone, someone on the news should be mentioning that?

It's called the Euthanasia Coaster and we're either speeding down the first big drop or exiting the first loop depending on your level of pessimism.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
need to try killface’s solution

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Decades posted:

I just feel like if we've arrived at the stage of collapse where we're trapped in a transparently terminal feedback loop making it obvious that the rest of history would just be all of civilization getting progressively ground into a fine powder of microplastics, concrete, and bone, someone on the news should be mentioning that?

things aren't that bad yet

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Samuel Glompers posted:

Bong rips absolutely help

CODChimera posted:

i'm doing my part
:hmmyes:

also

Pink Mist posted:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's called the Euthanasia Coaster and we're either speeding down the first big drop or exiting the first loop depending on your level of pessimism.

I made this image for the last thread, but I can't find it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

oh no the natural gas is being burned in russia instead of europe and this is very concerning for the environment please think of the environment russians we need to burn all of that and have those emissions in europe instead

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

oh no the natural gas is being burned in russia instead of europe and this is very concerning for the environment please think of the environment russians we need to burn all of that and have those emissions in europe instead

Since the pipelines leak, this is actually better for the environment than letting the Europeans burn it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hubbert posted:

I am unironically grateful that people are starting to understand that things truly aren't that bad yet.

Train's out of control, but the bar car's still open. Drink up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Koirhor posted:

need to try killface’s solution

ant farm keyboard?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Cloks posted:

ant farm keyboard?

pfft that was Watley's dumb idea

now The Annihilatrix, that's got some real potential, and possibly the first solution I can actually see capital implementing

quote:

World ending weapon built on the Adult Swim show "Frisky Dingo". A giant rocket attached to the earth meant to drive the planet into the sun by Killface. The device later failed to destroy the world and instead moved the earth just far enough away from the sun to end global warming.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

yes, that's right, I spoilered the plot to a dead 10+ year cancelled series that all of 400 people watched, because I'm a thoughtful poster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Global WHAT? GLOBAL WARMING!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Complications posted:

I feel like the Europeans are probably using other gas instead of just completely ceasing use of anything that would have burned gas from Russia

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trabisnikof posted:

Since the pipelines leak, this is actually better for the environment than letting the Europeans burn it.

better for the environment? do you even understand why we're changing the climate?

the good news is flaring at the well burns dirtier than at a power plant, let's turn that sea ice black baby!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dog Case posted:

I feel like the Europeans are probably using other gas instead of just completely ceasing use of anything that would have burned gas from Russia

https://mobile.twitter.com/OilSheppard/status/1563182243127824384

Poor people are so utterly hosed this winter and just going to die, like they did this summer from heat

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Time to lower the rating for BTUs i suppose

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1563267711089537025

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pink Mist posted:

someone get joe on the phone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

better for the environment? do you even understand why we're changing the climate?

the good news is flaring at the well burns dirtier than at a power plant, let's turn that sea ice black baby!

methane, its not good folks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im gonna blow my brains out because computer forum told me about the excessive cringe in the mesosphere

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

ArfJason posted:

im gonna blow my brains out because computer forum told me about the excessive cringe in the mesosphere

It is the official position of the Biosphere Collapse thread that you should not cringe yourself.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yeah don't kill yourself Arf we can make it through this

together :glomp:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hubbert posted:

It is the official position of the Biosphere Collapse thread that you should not cringe yourself.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert posted:

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

ArfJason posted:

im gonna blow my brains out because computer

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
there's cringe in the anthropocene

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ArfJason posted:

lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ArfJason posted:

im gonna cringe

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ArfJason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK86buQdiAY

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Decades posted:

dont worry the smart people have it all figured out

a galaxy brain in another forum posted:

It's important not to imagine some kind of climate switch flipping in a year, resulting in a tide of billions of brown people -- I would imagine this is what right-wing ecofascists might picture. Instead, the answer is probably more prosaic. There would probably be some form of large, international cooperation to build and accommodate an influx of refugees, at the same time as international aid to focus on building and making robust systems to adapt within those affected areas. It's not something that will be done immediately, like a giant airlift, but a gradual emigration over several decades.

In the worst-case late-century scenario, there would be somewhere between 10-20 "off the charts" heat days per year. Keeping in mind, that the article you linked mentioned "mean" yearly temperatures. A future business as usual scenario (likely in my opinion) of 4-6 C hotter than now would still have seasons and days that aren't lethal, there would just be a much higher frequency of lethal days. In that case, and knowing that it's down the pipeline, I can see risk mitigation strategies being deployed by these countries - including evacuation, creation of mass heat-shelters, wider use of AC, and so on. Governments might invest a lot into infrastructure or collective housing and working arrangements where many millions of people could live either in contained cool buildings, or live within very close proximity to some kind of shelter where they could dwell during lethal heat waves. At the same time, emigration could be facilitated, so that you have people leaving the country over time, while those who need or wish to stay for whatever reason can find shelter in safe places.

It's also worth noting that diversity exists within affected countries as well. For the example of India, you could see a planned trend of relocating to higher elevation areas near the foothills of the Himalayas, where the weather is cooler.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cool that the author doesn't realize almost all of the US/Mexico border migrants are climates refugees and the response has been to put them in concentration camps and make it a crime to give them water. They're also sterilized.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Man. It's gonna be so much worse to crack late, like way late, and ping in the middle of the second western famine or whatever.

platzapS posted:

I was beaten bloody by the climate change thread. But I never hated them. I said "thank you for your data."

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I wonder what year someone like that imagines major blackouts related to extreme weather events might become a regular seasonal threat in a big US state like, say, Texas or California.

Decades has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

[...] They're also sterilized.

Do you have details on this?