Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

How is something worth 5 million if someone else readily sold it to you for 3.5 million?

I've already answered this question. Per my prior email post...

Warmachine posted:

"value" is an abstract and subjective thing unrelated to the price of a good or service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

brugroffil posted:

My plan is simple: find and use massive arbitrage opportunities to enrich yourself with little to no effort.

whats your @

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Warmachine posted:

This is just an economics degree talking. And yes, it makes you exactly as unrelatable to normal people as you sound. Source is me, an econ degree holder.

Don't do this you dumb goon. Explaining that "value" is an abstract and subjective thing unrelated to the price of a good or service or that the "cost" of something is the thing you gave up to get it might make for an interesting conversation, but you're not gonna win any hearts and minds by trying to tell someone the value of their discounted Steam game is $29 instead of $69 and the cost was a dinner at their favorite restaurant.

You really do not need an entire econ degree just to realize that buying some horribly overpriced garbage for "50% off" is still a bad deal.

The uneducated masses aren't milling around lamenting to themselves that they're gonna go bankrupt because they help missing the opportunity to "save money" from those "$200 value for just $25!! call now!!" as-seen-on-tv commercials.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You really do not need an entire econ degree just to realize that buying some horribly overpriced garbage for "50% off" is still a bad deal.

The uneducated masses aren't milling around lamenting to themselves that they're gonna go bankrupt because they help missing the opportunity to "save money" from those "$200 value for just $25!! call now!!" as-seen-on-tv commercials.

Why is your av's dong coming out of its knee?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Oof

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

:downsbravo:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do you not cut your losses sooner.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Sunk cost fallacy. Not only did he not cut his losses, he clearly kept putting all his subsequent contributions into the same stupid penny stock.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It's not just knowing when to hold 'em, it's also knowing when to fold 'em. Namaste.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

it's called buying the dip, morons!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Dip dip dipadelphia

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The answer is yes, right? They just have to sell and buy something slightly different, like T Rowe Price’s index fund instead of Vanguard’s. Incredibly stupid waste of money, but they can at least avoid taxes on an equal amount of capital gains.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was in their 401k.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

withak posted:

It was in their 401k.

Yep, he pissed away $60k and there is no silver lining. What an idiot. Reminds me of my coworkers who cashed their 401k’s to buy BTC when it was at its peak.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Oh, right

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

He probably "averaged down" the whole way. It's all the rage these days!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Now maybe I'm a moron here. But isn't the whole point of a 401k to put it in some kind of x fund where x is a diverse group of investments with some risk criteria set based on intended retirement age or risk category. Like I get putting some of your 401 in the s&p500 but not a single individual stonk.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Now maybe I'm a moron here. But isn't the whole point of a 401k to put it in some kind of x fund where x is a diverse group of investments with some risk criteria set based on intended retirement age or risk category. Like I get putting some of your 401 in the s&p500 but not a single individual stonk.

In theory.

But hear me out.

What if I can beat the market?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What kind of 401k offers individual stock picking anyway?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

brugroffil posted:

What kind of 401k offers individual stock picking anyway?

A dumb one.

Let alone otc stocks.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

A lot of fidelity plans do these days, I theoretically could pick individual stocks in mine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can self-manage your 401k if you want, a bunch of providers offer plans where the custodian will buy exactly the investments you direct them to buy.

You can also create an LLC that is owned by your retirement account but managed by you, which is totally legal but offers lots of new and exciting ways to break the rules of your retirement account and suddenly owe a huge amount of tax!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just tell everyone to sell you their house at a 30% discount, then sell the house for 150% of its value. Repeat infinitely.

*BOOM*

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1562926443507568640

Ignoring the fake numbers; even in this ideal scenario isn’t he looking at a monthly payment of like $50k to turn this into equity within five years? As in, full occupancy of 25 separate units?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tater_salad posted:

bro how u gonna get a willard-tier IRA by "tracking the market"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
That King Khang guy is some great content. He's created a line of NFTs called The Millionaire Club.

quote:

TMC NFT is not only a collectible unique art NFT, but it’s also a membership NFT that grants you exclusive access to The No.1 Real Estate Networking Private Community.

quote:

We have acquired some digital assets like virtual lands that will be developed over time for future purposes like meet-ups
in the Metaverse, and building a clubhouse and a TMC office for holders to make deals in the Metaverse! TMC’s digital
assets will also be used for advertising adding value to the TMC NFT holders.

quote:

Holders will be able to earn $TMC Utility Token. Higher Tier will earn more (Limited supply when hit certain volume). There
will also be a point system where people can earn points in discord by posting success or giving value to the community; hosting
a class teaching how to make money, trade stock, crypto, flip stuff or hosting community night etc. Points can be exchanged for a
$TMC Utility Token. $TMC Utility Token can be used in the TMC marketplace. Exchange for Whitelist spots to top tier NFT
projects TMC partnered with, exchange for TMC Merch at TMC store, Redeem gift card code and use it at King Khang Skip
Tracing service and many other services that TMC has to offer such as Pro Closers (Helping member close their deals), Deal
Analyze Team and many more. $TMC has no cash value.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Jabor posted:

You can self-manage your 401k if you want, a bunch of providers offer plans where the custodian will buy exactly the investments you direct them to buy.

You can also create an LLC that is owned by your retirement account but managed by you, which is totally legal but offers lots of new and exciting ways to break the rules of your retirement account and suddenly owe a huge amount of tax!

I think that was one of Romney's tax dodges. Pump money into retirement account, invest in his own businesses, artificially deflate the businesses worth, pull stocks out, reinflate value. Something like that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heffer posted:

I think that was one of Romney's tax dodges. Pump money into retirement account, invest in his own businesses, artificially deflate the businesses worth, pull stocks out, reinflate value. Something like that.

Yeah the scam is a little more complicated and different than this but it boils down to the same thing: because he worked for a private equity firm he could effectively lie about the value of what he contributed to the 401k - either by contributing stock at a falsely low value or letting the 401k have options to buy stock he didn't properly account for in the contribution limits. It wasn't actual trading, just lying about the value of what he was putting in.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Yeah the scam is a little more complicated and different than this but it boils down to the same thing: because he worked for a private equity firm he could effectively lie about the value of what he contributed to the 401k - either by contributing stock at a falsely low value or letting the 401k have options to buy stock he didn't properly account for in the contribution limits. It wasn't actual trading, just lying about the value of what he was putting in.

It wasn't even lying? Or at least, lying is he wrong word.

He was either exercising options there somehow, or having a portion of his carry just go in directly. That portion is taxed at the value it holds when distributed - but that value is essentially super low as compared to current value, with the expectation that they'll recover some of that via capital gains.

But shoving it into the 401k lets him circumvent the cap gains on those stocks. But then he's paying for it as income when it comes out, which is potentially a net loss for him.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My UK pension would happily let me stick my retirement fund in meme stonks

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

He probably "averaged down" the whole way. It's all the rage these days!

I've been seeing a lot of people pushing that meme right now as well.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://vxtwitter.com/jessicaray0/status/1563329075153760256?s=21&t=GiIoxJXB4g-pR20YFASoZA
:allears:

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

i had to google what OTC meant in this context but i liked my guess of "one trillionth of a cent" better

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

What the christ

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

loving hell, all these people putting at least 1300/m, some putting twice that, into car payments. That's psychotic.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

GWM: not having a car payment.

BWM:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guest2553 posted:

BWM:

That's a lot of carried printers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

BWM:

Im gonna assume this is lies all around. The person posting it was not gifted that and the person quoting it didn't gift it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Barudak posted:

Im gonna assume this is lies all around. The person posting it was not gifted that and the person quoting it didn't gift it.

It is, yeah. The OP apparently does a post like this about once a year with various "gifts", and a common response is to claim that they were the sub in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Barudak posted:

This one is probably fake, but it's definitely based in reality.