Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thanks for this; very helpful to remember it's not a criminal investigation but one to ensure there's no leverage over me. The main concern is a mental health misdiagnosis from way back when, and I have letters and doctors on standby to confirm.

I've spoken with a clearance attorney about my situation, and they feel confident I'll get through. My supervisor has somehow gotten my screening in the priority line, meaning another 2.5 months. It's going to be ok, but absolutely the most stressful job onboarding process I've gone through.

It seems like getting security clearance is a huge 'get' for future federal employment. Is that correct?

Best of luck resolving that documentation issue!

"Security clearance" is a big range, I'd say that getting TS clearance is a huge get if you're going into the intelligence community for job security and options, but I don't know that anything secret or lower is usually a big enough deal that people will actively choose "has clearance" over "has skills".

I could be wrong though, I've just got lowly public trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Seems like I didn't get that Patent Officer role again. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xelkelvos posted:

Slow, low five bro

I have a friend at USCIS who literally for two years now has texted me out of the blue ecstatic about her new promotion just about the time I realize I once again will never hear back from the most recent USCIS interview, haha.

I have been saying since before the pandemic that I would happily trade any possibility of upward mobility at my job if I could just get a goddamn remote GS-9 position. I would probably take a 7. Though I should be careful what I wish for seeing the IRS Terror Chat these last few pages I suppose

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Quarex posted:

Though I should be careful what I wish for seeing the IRS Terror Chat these last few pages I suppose

I felt like I was going to puke or start crying when I got up this morning. I was just dreading it. I had to finish some mandatory briefings before starting. The calls I took today went much more smoothly thatn they did on Friday. I had one that was difficult, but it was more the caller just being a mess than anything else. I was most of the way there with what to do to resolve these issues on the simpler ones.

So it's really just a me thing and I panic and overthink and overworry about fuckin everything. But the day's over. Now I can hide under the desk where the centipede lives and eat ice cream and cry.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Examiner, or something else?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have a friend at USCIS who literally for two years now has texted me out of the blue ecstatic about her new promotion just about the time I realize I once again will never hear back from the most recent USCIS interview, haha.

I'm hoping that my experience with the USCIS is also gonna be a positive one! They've been great so far - the only thing I can complain about is that I haven't gotten the firm offer letter yet, but that's because I requested a later EOD and FEMA wants to work out a dual employment thing with me. It does make me feel wanted, which is nice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kalman posted:

Examiner, or something else?

I meant examiner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Applications are open for the Mansfield Fellowship Program for anyone with two years of federal experience. You will spend a year learning Japanese in the states, followed by a two-month homestay in Ishikawa prefecture, then 10 months in Tokyo working in their counterpart agency.

One of my coworkers did this just before the pandemic and said it was a great experience, but Japanese work culture is very different (but I think most everyone here knows that).

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Applications are open for the Mansfield Fellowship Program for anyone with two years of federal experience. You will spend a year learning Japanese in the states, followed by a two-month homestay in Ishikawa prefecture, then 10 months in Tokyo working in their counterpart agency.

One of my coworkers did this just before the pandemic and said it was a great experience, but Japanese work culture is very different (but I think most everyone here knows that).

I'd forgotten about that program. Very cool opportunity. Is there anything similar anywhere else in the world?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Farewell, Mother. I am off to join the IRS army!

quote:

My Dearest Mother,

I heard the good news today from Senator Grassley and Senator Cruz and many voices more: The Lord be praised, President Biden is starting a new army, 87,000 strong, and all armed, to work for the IRS. They shall burst into homes and knock down doors and wreak Biden’s personal vengeance on the middle class, and every one shall have an AR-15. My dream is coming true. I am rushing to enlist; I am leaving the farm in your hands until my return from service in this glorious cause. I love our home, but a hatred for the American taxpayer surges through me like a strong wind, and I must go. Please tend to the cows until I come home again.

[...]

quote:

My Dearest Mother,

Training is ended, they say. Still no AR-15. I tried to ask, but people kept saying, “You mean a Form 1015?” Instead, I am seated at a desk, where I have to manually enter data from tax forms into a very, very old computer. The last person who occupied this desk was somebody named Phyllis, and there is a card wishing her a happy retirement left behind on the desk and a drawing by her grandson taped to the monitor. I do not see the swelling ranks of an 87,000-person army. I asked where the others were and Gregory said, “What others?” I hope they give me my weapon and my mission soon. I told Gregory that and he laughed. After lunch, he gave me a rubber hat to put on my finger to protect it from paper cuts. “There,” he said, “now you are properly armed for your task.” It does really help, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Today marks twenty years of federal service for me.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Hopefully you don't find your 20 year pin under your desk when you step on it 9 months after your SCD hits 2 decades like this guy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Those rubber finger hats are legit

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not at all surprised by this, but taking calls for the IRS is just making me hate the system even more.

also I was on a single call for over two hours because I have no idea what the gently caress I am even doing and should be thrown out the fuckin window.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Star Man posted:

I'm not at all surprised by this, but taking calls for the IRS is just making me hate the system even more.

also I was on a single call for over two hours because I have no idea what the gently caress I am even doing and should be thrown out the fuckin window.

I have been doing this for years and still have gone for over three hours on a call within the last few months. The people who should be thrown out the loving window are the ones who will skim the account and tell taxpayers the wrong info so they get off the phone in five minutes. You're right that the system is busted as gently caress but you are also fine.

e: Like I'm dead loving serious, you care about getting people the right resolution and that is honest to god the thing I'd want the most if I were wishing for ways to fix the system; a workforce entirely composed of people who cared about getting people the right resolution, and as many of them as I could get, and then after that a system to maximize their ability to get the right resolution in place ASAP for as many people as possible. There's a lot of work to get the system as it is in the shape it needs to be for the latter but the former is also lacking and that's not something we can entirely fund our way out of (though increasing people's salaries would probably go a drat good way towards that).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 30, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I suppose the good news in all this is that NTEU just got all seasonal IRS employees converted to full-time status and I made the cutoff. I know furloughs haven't been a thing for a while, but I signed the document to be converted and won't have to worry about it all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

I suppose the good news in all this is that NTEU just got all seasonal IRS employees converted to full-time status and I made the cutoff. I know furloughs haven't been a thing for a while, but I signed the document to be converted and won't have to worry about it all.

Awesome! I know you had been stymied at getting a full time gig at oldjob for a while and I'm glad this one came through for you so rapidly. :cheerdoge:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Midjack posted:

Today marks twenty years of federal service for me.

Congrats

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Star Man posted:

And to you.

Meanwhile my supervisor signed me up for another niche form issue so I'm apparently the SME for 5 or 6 different issues now as a GS-12. I should ask for a WGI.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Star Man posted:

Congrats!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Congrats! I've been perm for a while (the advantage of being a TE in a tiny department), so I didn't know NTEU was doing that, but that's a huge victory.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I have been doing this for years and still have gone for over three hours on a call within the last few months. The people who should be thrown out the loving window are the ones who will skim the account and tell taxpayers the wrong info so they get off the phone in five minutes. You're right that the system is busted as gently caress but you are also fine.

e: Like I'm dead loving serious, you care about getting people the right resolution and that is honest to god the thing I'd want the most if I were wishing for ways to fix the system; a workforce entirely composed of people who cared about getting people the right resolution, and as many of them as I could get, and then after that a system to maximize their ability to get the right resolution in place ASAP for as many people as possible. There's a lot of work to get the system as it is in the shape it needs to be for the latter but the former is also lacking and that's not something we can entirely fund our way out of (though increasing people's salaries would probably go a drat good way towards that).

Speaking as somebody on the other end of those IRS phone calls (tax preparer), I second having someone who cares on the other end being the most important thing. Honestly, most of my questions aren't even super detailed, they tend to boil down to "did you get the thing we sent you?" more than anything, so if you can check that sort of status stuff out you've got the majority of situations I deal with covered. Taking a while doesn't bother me either because I already had to sit on hold forever (with threat of sudden random disconnect) anyway, having someone actively working on my problem is much easier to be patient for. I think there's a little of the same element I find with my clients too; if it takes a while, it just reinforces to me this is a difficult situation instead of the automatic assumption being "wow, they suck" (which I only get when I have someone ignore what I'm saying, to be blunt).

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Star Man posted:

Speaking as a former seasonal IRS employee, that is amazing! Seriously, congratulations, that is wonderful news.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's huge Star Man, congratulations! I'm jealous!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I might be misattributing credit for how this really went down. I barely pay attention to my emails that my steward sends me. But today I had some downtime and read the last one she forwarded, and in like thirty minutes my manager was trying to catch me before the end of the day to ask if I wanted to sign on as full-time or remain seasonal. I didn't ask if that comes with a grade increase or anything. I'll have to monitor my SP-50 or whatever. I'm still a fuckin dumbass that fell upwards.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Most frustrations from customer service come from dealing with employee after employee that is trying to get you off the phone or give you the quickest possible answer, until you reach an employee that wants to solve that problem and make this the last phone call you need to make.

Your job is to be that employee. If it takes three hours, it takes three hours.

Or as my dad used to put it, "if you don't get chewed out occasionally you're not doing your job the right way"

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Grats on falling up Star Man!

But anyone interested in a non-supervisory GS15?
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/668651200

You know I am! Here I thought I was going to stop applying once I got a non supervisory 12, thanks DOE for making me do more USAJOBS stuff...

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Rakeris posted:

Grats on falling up Star Man!

But anyone interested in a non-supervisory GS15?
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/668651200

You know I am! Here I thought I was going to stop applying once I got a non supervisory 12, thanks DOE for making me do more USAJOBS stuff...

I wouldn't take that as evidence of GS-15 non-supervisory. I wouldn't be shocked if that exists somewhere but I've only heard of that up to GS-14 and then only in job categories where the Feds have noted issues with hiring and uncompetitive wages(like nursing or IT).

That posting is a pool posting not for any specific position so the grade range is generic and not indicative of much. A GS-9-15 ladder position would be quite a thing though.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Been sick as hell for a few weeks with a drat blood clot out here but finally getting an interview with USCIS this friday. The field office asked for my supervisor's info upfront prior to the interview. Kinda odd to ask for the supervisor's info before the interview. Usually they ask for it afterwards.

What am I getting into working as an ISO in a field office? I see how the service center works from the posters that work there but never seen posts on a field office.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Elem7 posted:

I wouldn't take that as evidence of GS-15 non-supervisory. I wouldn't be shocked if that exists somewhere but I've only heard of that up to GS-14 and then only in job categories where the Feds have noted issues with hiring and uncompetitive wages(like nursing or IT).

That posting is a pool posting not for any specific position so the grade range is generic and not indicative of much. A GS-9-15 ladder position would be quite a thing though.

FWIW I just applied for a GS-15 non-supervisory, so they do exist. Many asterisks on it though, to be fair.

* 800-series engineering
** DC locality
*** technically DB-4, which is a GS-14 to 15 payband, but no control point
**** internal hire only
***** the experience and qualifications required (which I DO have, amazingly), are absurdly specific and extensive
****** even with the other asterisks they are still exceedingly rare, and I suspect I still won't get it because it's probably tailor made for someone specific they need to retain who is threatening to take advantage of the current labor market to go private sector. But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take after all, so wish me luck on achieving the dream of being a GS-15 union employee. Ya never know!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Some agencies have attorney positions (0905s) that are non-supervisory GS-15s.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Delorence Fickle posted:

What am I getting into working as an ISO in a field office? I see how the service center works from the posters that work there but never seen posts on a field office.
Everyone I know who has worked at both types of office just says it is much busier. Some people say harder, some just think it is more time-consuming. I imagine interviews and their scheduling are most of the reason for this distinction. And most people who go to field offices then try to get back to a service center after a while, but that is currently much harder given the "service centers are probably going largely remote in 2023" thing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elem7 posted:

SSA has a fair number of 2200-series non-supervisory IT 14s, and a handful (typically 2-5 total agency wide) non-supervisory 15s.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How does the ZP payscale work, especially compared to the GS?

And, what are alternative search I should be using besides the 2210 series for IT jobs?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'm currently a non-supervisory 13. someone asked me to consider a move to a position that would have 9 direct reports, and approximately 150 total subordinates. I'd be responsible for timesheets, disciplinary things, leave approvals, reviews, a loving boatload of personnel related paperwork things, on-site field visits, scheduling, covering field shifts when the area is short staffed (the area is currently understaffed by about 20 people), etc.

the new position is also a 13, it would be a lateral move. my duty station would also technically move, from my current 28% locality zone to a "rest of the US" zone :lmao:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ixo posted:

I'm currently a non-supervisory 13. someone asked me to consider a move to a position that would have 9 direct reports, and approximately 150 total subordinates. I'd be responsible for timesheets, disciplinary things, leave approvals, reviews, a loving boatload of personnel related paperwork things, on-site field visits, scheduling, covering field shifts when the area is short staffed (the area is currently understaffed by about 20 people), etc.

the new position is also a 13, it would be a lateral move. my duty station would also technically move, from my current 28% locality zone to a "rest of the US" zone :lmao:

They can gently caress right off with that noise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Don't forget that they gently caress up your OT if you go supervisor, too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ixo posted:

Yes but think of opportunities such as

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, in my office I'm 1 of 3 non-supervisor 13s, and we lost 2 out of 3 supervisor 13s during hiring freezes. Now, we are hiring up and the agency is authorizing a ton of OT to clear backlogs. All 3 of us have been asked multiple times by our District Director why we weren't applying for the two supervisor openings. We have all had a nice long laugh about it. "What did YOU tell him? Because was like, 'Where do you want to start? Money? Time? Stress?'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Delorence Fickle posted:

Been sick as hell for a few weeks with a drat blood clot out here but finally getting an interview with USCIS this friday. The field office asked for my supervisor's info upfront prior to the interview. Kinda odd to ask for the supervisor's info before the interview. Usually they ask for it afterwards.

I believe that USCIS as a whole has a significant problem in how they treat field ISOs vs Service Center ISOs. I've been an ISO at the NBC and currently in the field. They are night and day difference. (It is magnified because I went to a relatively small field office, but the overall issues apply everywhere.)

In the NBC, you have very steady, predictable work and expectations. If I woke up and a buddy wanted to go see the Royals play a day game, I could call in and take a leave day, and it doesn't affect anyone. The files will still be there on my desk when I get there the next day. I was doing very easy form types, so I got bored very quickly, and was on autopilot listening to podcasts. You do one form type, one product, every day. You come to understand it inside and out.

Took a promotion to the field. Very quickly (too quickly, in my opinion) I am interviewing people on adjustment of status, naturalization, removal of conditions, everything. And I travel to do ceremonies. If you come across fraud, it's often happening in-the-moment, as a person across a desk is lying to your face. It is far more rewarding, interesting, stressful, and difficult. Interviews are scheduled several weeks in advance, obviously, so if you call in sick on a day you are supposed to interview, you are dumping your case load onto a coworker to pick up the slack. (This is not your fault, if you are sick, you should take your leave and not feel guilty. But just taking leave on a whim in this context is a dick move. I do not usually make plans 2 months out, so it was a difficult transition.)

Recent issues with COVID and process changes have pushed more duties onto the field officer. In my opinion, USCIS as a whole has allowed lots of things to slide downhill, and the field officer making the final decision is at the bottom of that hill. I have not seen evidence that they fully appreciate the effect of that. If you take one task that would normally be done at the service center before the file comes to the field, and you say, well that only takes a minute or two, no big deal, we can just have the field ISOs do it, it feels like efficiency to them. But you do that for multiple things, now you have an officer who SHOULD be focusing on asking good questions and determining credibility being distracted by trying to do 5-10 minutes of extra data entry and clerical work. Per interview. So over 10 interviews a day, that's like an extra hour of work. Then management will always, always, always ask for continued (unfinished) case numbers to go down, without accepting that a big cause is that the ISO is doing this extra stuff.

Field ISO is great and I love it and you change lives directly. You catch fraud nobody else will. I want to do this type of thing for the rest of my career. Every time someone tries to push me to move into a SISO role, I explain how neither of us will enjoy that, because meetings will just be me, repeating the rant above, over and over until they mute my phone.