Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill slow blinks at me every few minutes but will also draw blood from me without concern so I wouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Our cats are incredibly attached to us and I've never, ever been able to get them to slow blink.

Yeah, my cat will give me attitude and make me go look for her if I spend too much time between getting home and sitting on the couch with her for a few minutes, and I have never gotten a slow blink from her.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get slow blinks, but it's always in response to me doing a slow blink.

And some times the slow blink turns into a looking in the other direction and ignoring me from then on so not sure how to take that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VelociBacon posted:

Quill slow blinks at me every few minutes but will also draw blood from me without concern so I wouldn't worry about it.

:same:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah for me it's kinda like there's no opportunity for them to slow blink when they are too busy begging for pets, rubbing all over me, and falling asleep on top of us.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My cats blink at me but I'm not sure if it's slow enough to count, also they occasionally wink

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm not entirely sure my two like slow blinks, but I do it anyway in vague hopes of entering their hearts. (Black cat is my husband's, Manx cat is my son's, they decided this themselves.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

And some times the slow blink turns into a looking in the other direction and ignoring me from then on so not sure how to take that.

You're too clingy obvs

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

xzzy posted:

You should take that as your cat being very polite and relaxed and wanting to show that it's comfortable in your presence.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Why won’t my cat ever slow blink back at me :(
Maybe they're just slow blinking at the exact same time you are

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My roommate is allergic to cats and (understandably) doesn't want to touch mine, and god drat I have never seen my cats attach to a person as fast as they did her. they are in love

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hawkperson posted:

My roommate is allergic to cats and (understandably) doesn't want to touch mine, and god drat I have never seen my cats attach to a person as fast as they did her. they are in love

“This person isn’t giving us the affection we’re used to. We need to try harder!”

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Allegedly cats love allergic people because in their heart of hearts they just want to be left alone and not looked at or touched when they don't feel like it, so allergic people are just the type cats like.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, cats are skittish and nervous critters. Not paying them attention makes them feel safe.

That's why they usually avoid the cat-loving visitor who's trying to get them to come get scritches and usually love the one who's genuinely not interested in them.

It comes across as weird or aloof because cats are furry little space aliens with almost completely alien body language, so they don't usually read as nervous to humans.

E: yeah, what they said

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

From a colleague:

"In June, we had to say goodbye to our sweet feline furbaby, Snow White. She had end stage renal failure and we provided her palliative care at home for about 6 months, which included Hill's Science Diet K/D wet food, B-12 shots, and daily subcut injections of lactated ringers. We still have some supplies left that we'd love to donate to someone who might be dealing with the same situation. Most shelters, etc will not take the items from us unfortunately and I know it can be hard for some to afford for pay for these items. Please message me if you or someone you know is in need of syringes, lactacted ringer bags, food, B-12 liquid, and/or tubing and I will figure out a way to get them to you."

Please PM me if you know anyone who could use any of this equipment/specialty food. You can also email me at catnamednorris at the ol' Gee-mail.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
About the cat cold: cats can get colds from people. It doesn't affect them as much but does make them sneeze, sometimes on you. Internet says it clears up in about 7-10 days. You don't need to do anything.

Edit: my kids were sick last week, and two cats got it. They sneezed twice that I noticed and that was that.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It’s interesting, my 2-year-old semi-feral, Mini-Scratcher, seems to be the most adept out of all four of our cats when it comes to practically communicating with humans. And the crazy thing is that he had absolutely no skill with regard to this when we first got him, and only either cowered from humans or stared at them wide-eyed in terror.

Now he’s incredibly vocal, and more so than ANY other cat I’ve ever known or encountered, is able to make his meows sound like some pathetic small baby or child desperately in need of attention or care. The instant I hear him meow like that, I can just feel it tugging at my heart, and I simply MUST pay attention to him and try to give him what he wants. It completely bypasses the logical part of my brain and goes straight to some really instinctual, elemental place. I’d heard of cats being able to do this, and it supposedly having to do with the frequency resembling a baby’s cry, but i’d never actually experienced it until Mini-Scratcher started getting vocal.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

redreader posted:

About the cat cold: cats can get colds from people. It doesn't affect them as much but does make them sneeze, sometimes on you. Internet says it clears up in about 7-10 days. You don't need to do anything.

Edit: my kids were sick last week, and two cats got it. They sneezed twice that I noticed and that was that.

Yeah, thanks, I guess I'm worrying bit too much about some of this stuff but it's hard when I don't know what's serious and what isn't. The cat seems to have mostly stopped sneezing during the last few days too.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Looking for recommendations on cat water fountains

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

kaworu posted:

It’s interesting, my 2-year-old semi-feral, Mini-Scratcher, seems to be the most adept out of all four of our cats when it comes to practically communicating with humans. And the crazy thing is that he had absolutely no skill with regard to this when we first got him, and only either cowered from humans or stared at them wide-eyed in terror.

Now he’s incredibly vocal, and more so than ANY other cat I’ve ever known or encountered, is able to make his meows sound like some pathetic small baby or child desperately in need of attention or care. The instant I hear him meow like that, I can just feel it tugging at my heart, and I simply MUST pay attention to him and try to give him what he wants. It completely bypasses the logical part of my brain and goes straight to some really instinctual, elemental place. I’d heard of cats being able to do this, and it supposedly having to do with the frequency resembling a baby’s cry, but i’d never actually experienced it until Mini-Scratcher started getting vocal.
Our adopted grey cat is really good at communicating with us and probably our only cat showing any signs of empathy. If my wife calls me when I have headphones on that cat will come and get my attention and then stop in front of me as I'm walking over there to look back and make sure I'm still following. Unsure if she was raised around dogs or something. We've done little tests with her (fake crying) and the cat will jump up next to us and she'll nuzzle like she's trying to comfort us which I've only seen dogs do before. I might be reading too much into that, maybe she's just annoyed at the sound.

Our street rescue is super vocal like yours. He'll change his cries depending on what he wants from us. Usually that's food or to get in bed with us, or if he wants attention or a toy he'll change pitch accordingly. He howls to be let out of the door sometimes (indoor only now buddy - you got super lucky before with no parasites or diseases and good teeth), but thankfully he's been doing that less and less lately. He also watches the grey cat closely and mimics her behaviors to get treats so it's been easier teaching him tricks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I had to go out of town for a few days to deal with a rough family emergency, and left my cats in the care of a neighbor who came by to clean up after them and empty their litter boxes. They were so excited to see me when I came back that they were tripping over each other to be the one to get petted first. With how rough the emergency was I'd have appreciated it if they were a bit more doglike and tried to comfort me, but just seeing the joy in their faces when they saw me was enough to bring me some comfort.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I use this. It works well, it has a large tank, and the cats drink out of it readily. Also if something breaks you can just buy replacement parts for cheap instead of having to buy a new fountain like with every plastic one I've owned before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s cleaning like? My main problem with cat fountains is how often you have to clean them, and at that point it will simply be more prudent to ensure a water dish is always clean by emptying it, washing it, and replacing it - easier with a daily dish.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You pull out the petal, lift up the metal cover, remove the filter, and then you have the tank which is so large it's very easy to get your hands and a sponge inside to clean it. They recommend you do it every week but I think you can get away with every two weeks because it doesn't really get dirty due to the filter. Every two weeks you need to clean the pump's impeller which I must admit I haven't done yet but it doesn't seem complicated.

Just having a dish is a lot easier but Artemis won't drink from a bowl.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Just bought my second PetKit Eversweet 3, we had the first iteration and the pump broke (our fault, we didn't clean the inside). Me and the cats love that fountain so after learning that the current version has an easily removable pump I decided to buy that one for a future-proof version. Still might fix the old one because I can't stand to throw stuff away but I'm loving the the new version, it's even quieter and the design is so good and easily refillable/cleanable.

e: clean your impellers, people!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a "Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel Fountain Raindrop Design ", which is awesome. The only narrow space that has to be cleaned is the pump itself. The channel the water flows through, as well as the basin the water sits in, are open and made of (like it says) stainless steel. Nothing clings to the bowl or the channel, and washing them is easy. The pump is a bear, but there's no getting around that. The only drawback is that the cats do like to play in the water, so it sits on a tray.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037NKDSG

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Seconding the petkit eversweet 3, it’s got easily replaced parts too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, it’s been about a week and Jet still has diarrhea. No vomiting, pain, lethargy, or behavior change to speak of other than the litter box being a nightmare. I’ve been trying to get him to take Flagyl daily, but it’s a struggle and he hasn’t managed to keep much of it down. I don’t know how much it helps, anyway.

Diarrhea for over a week is concerning. I’m considering calling the vet and asking for more advice than just a limited diet and an antibiotic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Well, it’s been about a week and Jet still has diarrhea. No vomiting, pain, lethargy, or behavior change to speak of other than the litter box being a nightmare. I’ve been trying to get him to take Flagyl daily, but it’s a struggle and he hasn’t managed to keep much of it down. I don’t know how much it helps, anyway.

Diarrhea for over a week is concerning. I’m considering calling the vet and asking for more advice than just a limited diet and an antibiotic.

It might be time to see another vet, just to get an alternate opinion.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
See another vet. Also get some probiotics from the next one as his gut microbiome needs a reset after so long with diarrhea! We just always get some whenever we need antibiotics now.

Could be a food issue too (for example, our cat can't tolerate xanthan gum and gets diarrhea). A good vet will have that on their checklist if everything else is excluded.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My oldass cat (just turned 17) started getting frequent diarrhea and vomiting and likely has lymphoma. He didn't respond to steroids alone (they seem to help with vomiting but not diarrhea), so he's on an antibiotic (metronidazole) indefinitely and it seems to be controlling his symptoms at least. He's more or less behaving normally other than occasionally stepping in soft stool when turning around to cover his poop and ughhh no matter how much it stinks I'd honestly prefer if he just jumped right out of the litterbox without trying to cover it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Will he eat grass? It's kind of a long shot, as cats with stomach problems may eat it until they vomit in some kind of messed up self medicating logic. But if there's any kind of fiber dependency, it might help there (as it does with one of ours).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It might be time to see another vet, just to get an alternate opinion.

effika posted:

See another vet. Also get some probiotics from the next one as his gut microbiome needs a reset after so long with diarrhea! We just always get some whenever we need antibiotics now.

Could be a food issue too (for example, our cat can't tolerate xanthan gum and gets diarrhea). A good vet will have that on their checklist if everything else is excluded.

Ugggg :suicide: sure, I can do that. This is pretty stressful and I have no idea what I’m doing :negative: this sucks I just want my cat to be healthy

As for probiotics, I’ve been giving him some of the Purina pre/probiotics - maybe those are too poo poo? Any particular brand I should use?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Both me and my SO got COVID and I’m really worried that my 2 year old cat will catch it. She has FIV as well and we’ll give the vet a ring tomorrow to see if there is anything we can do. I’m just really worried she’ll catch it. She is still eating and using the litter tray so no unwelcome signs yet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pollyanna posted:

Ugggg :suicide: sure, I can do that. This is pretty stressful and I have no idea what I’m doing :negative: this sucks I just want my cat to be healthy

As for probiotics, I’ve been giving him some of the Purina pre/probiotics - maybe those are too poo poo? Any particular brand I should use?

The Purina pouches of meat flavored bacteria powder? Those are fine. There are apparently more complete ones but those pouches have always worked for us.

I hope you and he can get it sorted out soon! A stressful and messy situation for sure.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Anyone know how well the comfort zone diffusers (with mulit-cat bottle) works compared to feliway? The refills for comfort zone are slightly cheaper and say the diffuser should be replaced every 1yr rather than 6 months with feliway. My two cats have not getting along since our oldest died (no major fighting, just one cat chasing the other upstairs whenever seen and the other cat blocking the other one from coming upstairs.

But the replacements for feliway are poo poo. They run out in half of their stated 30 days. For my cats it actually reduces all this by about 50% where they can both be in the same room with us for a bit before the other one gets ticked off for being in their room.

Figuring if comfort Zone also works and actually lasts a full or closer to 30days, it will save us money. I know Comfort zone lists a smaller area of coverage but I have a tiny S Philly row home so only need one in upstairs hallway and one in living room to cover basically everywhere.

Fake Edit: Oddly enough they never have a problem eating next to each other. Each will eat off of their own plate and one will only move over to the others plate if he walks away. Also they have no problem sharing the same kibble bowl and will each take turns eating out of it standing next to eachother.

FE2: The name Comfort Zone also makes me think of Jerry Blank from Strangers With Candy - if anyone gets that old referance.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Pollyanna posted:

Was Jet's stool tested for parasites? It could be Giardia. My vet told me it can affect both kittens and senior cats equally bad.
When I got my kittens, Price had a case of diarrhea which just didn't want to end. He wasn't lethargic at first either, this happened later on.
The vet suspected dietary issues first and prescribed probiotics first. That didn't seem to help. Dry food made things worse while wet food seemed to help a bit.
After testing his stool twice, the vet noticed signs of Giardia. Took two rounds of different anti-parasite medication for the both of them, but that solved the issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would be impressed if he somehow got giardia despite being an indoor-only cat. I’ll bring it up with the vets, see if they can investigate the poop.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

It really does sound like maybe giardia, and the vet should just give you the $10 worth of harmless-to-try pills without needing to test first. Poor poopy kitty. Don't have to go outside to get it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
He was not happy with me waking him up to get him to look at me when I noticed him on the couch and he removed the blankets to make room for himself. (Habit that I still cover the couch in blankets because our old cat use to leak everywhere.)

Pound Cake

E: When I first got him (We got him to lose 3 lbs since then - but I'm not really sure if he needs to loose more because we think he is like half larger breed like Main Coon - definitly not full but his head and paws are giant and he is super friendly to everyone - literally he sees a new person and wants to jump on top of them immediatly.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That is a Big Boy.