Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

looks like a pretty decent anbernic sale is happening next week

https://anbernic.com/collections/summer-sale?sca_ref=2121940.nMT2peSQIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Just gonna point you over to this thread in SAMart where goon jbone sells refurbed PSPs and DSes for entirely reasonable prices. He currently has one DSi XL, which should come with Unlaunch already installed on it, which allows you to stick TwilightMenu++ on an SD card, and also a bunch of Lites and original model DSes. Bought a DSi XL from him myself, works like a dream.

Just wanted to chime in to say TwilightMenu works for most games but I've run into some issues with anti piracy. You may need to patch them still. I use an R4 cart for a few games that I couldn't get running in TwilightMenu. They're still cheap like $5-$10, depending on which seller you buy from.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Photex posted:

looks like a pretty decent anbernic sale is happening next week

https://anbernic.com/collections/summer-sale?sca_ref=2121940.nMT2peSQIR

Would the NEW ANBERNIC RG353P or the ANBERNIC RG351MP be good first retro handhelds if I mainly wanted to emulate older JRPGs from the PS1+ era? So stuff like Xenogears, Suikoden, Breath of Fire IV, and other console stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, maybe some DC like Skies of Arcadia, and maybe some Legend of Trails in the Sky from PSP. I figure I'm not getting PS2 from anything under $250.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Would the NEW ANBERNIC RG353P or the ANBERNIC RG351MP be good first retro handhelds if I mainly wanted to emulate older JRPGs from the PS1+ era? So stuff like Xenogears, Suikoden, Breath of Fire IV, and other console stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, maybe some DC like Skies of Arcadia, and maybe some Legend of Trails in the Sky from PSP. I figure I'm not getting PS2 from anything under $250.

Given they're both the same price I'd get the 353, though neither of them would be great for PSP just because of the 4:3 screens. To be honest if you're just looking to play PS1 JRPGs I'd consider the regular 351P as well.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 21, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have the 351MP and it’s great for PS1 and below. I wouldn’t count on it for Saturn/DC/PSP though

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
That anbernic sale is tempting, but I keep coming back to the thought that what I really want is something that can play ps2/GameCube. Is it time to bite the bullet and just get a steam deck?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

remigious posted:

That anbernic sale is tempting, but I keep coming back to the thought that what I really want is something that can play ps2/GameCube. Is it time to bite the bullet and just get a steam deck?

If you can afford it, and don't mind the size, I say absolutely. It seems to be an incredible device at an incredible price.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

If you can afford it, and don't mind the size, I say absolutely. It seems to be an incredible device at an incredible price.

Yeah I just have to get over how ugly it is lol

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Deck is life. The Deck is love.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I will always say to just get a PSP if you want PSP and PS1 games. They're pretty cheap too.

Also my RP2+ handles Dreamcast pretty well but PS2 is almost impossible. I've gotten a few things to load but I haven't actually tried to play them yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

remigious posted:

Yeah I just have to get over how ugly it is lol

I’m hoping the deck is successful enough that we get a smaller, albeit slightly weaker Lite edition.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Explosionface posted:

The Deck is life. The Deck is love.

the deck makes a lot of sense if you want to take the next logical step from the rp2s and 351ms of the world, especially considering that it runs games off of SD cards just fine so even the lil baby hard drive is easily supplemented with a 256gb card

although if you’re already dropping 400 on it spend the extra 130 on a bigger hard drive imo

what were we talking about again?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It'd be cooler once handheld PCs in general reach the point where you can just buy them and not have to wait several months for a preorder.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

It'd be cooler once handheld PCs in general reach the point where you can just buy them and not have to wait several months for a preorder.

Yeah. At least with the steam deck I know I’ll get one eventually, unlike an Odin. I still get the weekly Ayn update emails and it seems like every week there is a new issue they’re scrambling to overcome.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

My biggest issue lately with most of my hobbies is that I can’t have knee jerk poor financial decisions anymore.

Popular gaming thing? 4 months. Popular music thing? 4 months. Popular PC part? Lmao idk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The deck at $399 is currently the best value (imo) in this gaming space.

Yes it’s expensive but it plays nearly everything

https://youtu.be/qVDCPUczUiM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

My biggest issue lately with most of my hobbies is that I can’t have knee jerk poor financial decisions anymore.

Popular gaming thing? 4 months. Popular music thing? 4 months. Popular PC part? Lmao idk.
It's no wonder mini PCs are having this weird renaissance when you can freely spend $600 on one and have it within a week.

remigious posted:

Yeah. At least with the steam deck I know I’ll get one eventually, unlike an Odin. I still get the weekly Ayn update emails and it seems like every week there is a new issue they’re scrambling to overcome.
I'm hoping (but not expecting) this won't be a thing with the Loki and that'll start shipping in October like it's meant to. I have a Steam Deck reservation as a backup but I'd still rather the Loki/Ayaneo form factor without all the controls shunted up to the top to fit those touch pads on. I might even try for the Ayaneo 2 when those preorders open if neither system has popped by then.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 22, 2022

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
351V for 80 bux is a great deal on nice hardware, and I think it's different enough from a Deck that you could have both

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Walla posted:

I will always say to just get a PSP if you want PSP and PS1 games. They're pretty cheap too.

I can second this. I tried to play the psp the other day and the screen felt so small though.
I was at a shop the other day and saw a boxed vita for $125 and talked myself out of buying it. Now I'm not sure why.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I ended up going with the RG353p even though I'm thinking of getting a Steam Deck later in the year. I think both will be helpful, and it will probably be December before I can actually get a Steam Deck.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think I might go with the 351p. I'd like to get something metal but the price increases for those features just don't seem like value, not when I'm on a budget.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The deck at $399 is currently the best value (imo) in this gaming space.

Yes it’s expensive but it plays nearly everything

https://youtu.be/qVDCPUczUiM

Yeah at this point unless you are only interested in 8/16 bit consoles, I can’t see a logical reason to own anything else other that the deck. It’s value is too great and it’s battery life isn’t complete poo poo (could be better though). Space shouldn’t be a concern as SD cards are on sale 80% of the year for cheap.

Hell the controls are fine for fighting games and you can play all the modern ones.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I like the idea of being able to play in bed or take something around town in my pocket, and playing games older than PS2 on the Steam Deck would seem like overkill. Because of that, I think the RG353P at least makes sense, especially at that price.

I may end up regretting it, but $118 isn't terrible even if I don't love it, and with the Moonlight feature, I can probably play some steam games on the RG353P until the Steam Deck is actually purchasable. Right now I Moonlight via Kindle Fire, which is fun, but I have to prop it up on something.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

otter posted:

I can second this. I tried to play the psp the other day and the screen felt so small though.
I was at a shop the other day and saw a boxed vita for $125 and talked myself out of buying it. Now I'm not sure why.

$125 for a Vita is a steal, though I sometimes regret giving away my PSP. Small screens don't often bother me, though I have just reached the point where I need glasses to read so that may change.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The 353P is cool, although I'm sticking with the stock firmware for now. I'll probably try jelOS again if I get another card so I can just hotswap them out. Assuming jelOS won't want to reformat the rom card. The form factor on the unit is actually really nice. It's very much like holding a big super Nintendo controller. The control stick placement requires a little bit of hand placement but they aren't too bad. I have a problem with the function button not opening the RetroArch menu in-game but since switching to dev mode this happens less often.

Any tips for getting a less jaggy psx and N64? I swear the jelOS defaults were better in this regard. Anyway I think id recommend this product, although the 351s have a lot more documentation in case you need any specific help

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd probably buy a Deck but Gabe is still mad at Australia for forcing him to actually have consumer rights on his webzone

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
this one looks pretty promising for the price;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGBuZvnqjrc

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Walla posted:

$125 for a Vita is a steal, though I sometimes regret giving away my PSP. Small screens don't often bother me, though I have just reached the point where I need glasses to read so that may change.

I went back yesterday and bought it.
It's firmware 3.61 so I have to do something efforty to get it hacked but didn't come with a memory card so that's en route from ebay.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If it's a 2000 or 3000 series then you don't need the proprietary memory card. Also grab yourself a SD2Vita though it does mean not getting physical games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

otter posted:

I went back yesterday and bought it.
It's firmware 3.61 so I have to do something efforty to get it hacked but didn't come with a memory card so that's en route from ebay.
Check the guides and all, but you should be able to upgrade it to firmware 3.65 for which the exploit is pretty reliable and let you install enso for persistent CFW. If you can upgrade straight from 3.61 to 3.65 without doing any "latest" shenanigans I wouldn't bother downgrading to 3.60.

I bought my Vita for $120 used (but good condition), no box, in 2019, so yes this is a steal.

Walla posted:

Also grab yourself a SD2Vita though it does mean not getting physical games.
You can get physical games, but you'll have (or at least, want) to dump them to your computer and then install them to the SD card on the SD2Vita. It's not anymore straightforward than using the PlayStation Store, but if you like collecting physical things they're not entirely useless.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Walla posted:

If it's a 2000 or 3000 series then you don't need the proprietary memory card. Also grab yourself a SD2Vita though it does mean not getting physical games.

its a 1001 OLED, baby.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Check the guides and all, but you should be able to upgrade it to firmware 3.65 for which the exploit is pretty reliable and let you install enso for persistent CFW. If you can upgrade straight from 3.61 to 3.65 without doing any "latest" shenanigans I wouldn't bother downgrading to 3.60.

I bought my Vita for $120 used (but good condition), no box, in 2019, so yes this is a steal.

You can get physical games, but you'll have (or at least, want) to dump them to your computer and then install them to the SD card on the SD2Vita. It's not anymore straightforward than using the PlayStation Store, but if you like collecting physical things they're not entirely useless.

I was looking at that but it's probably the meds i've had to be on since messing up my back last weekend but it was confusing. I'm sure after coffee clarity has set in it will make more sense.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

otter posted:

its a 1001 OLED, baby.

I was looking at that but it's probably the meds i've had to be on since messing up my back last weekend but it was confusing. I'm sure after coffee clarity has set in it will make more sense.

Let Russ at Retro Game Corps show you the way:

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/04/27/ps-vita-guide/

I followed his guides for my Vita and I'm an idiot.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I ordered the 351p from Anbernic last Wednesday, the tracking number was generated last Thursday, it still hasn't been handed over to the couriers. I'm getting worried now.

I know shipping from China is slow, so for that reason and to avoid taxes I ordered from the Spanish warehouse. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I ordered the 351p from Anbernic last Wednesday, the tracking number was generated last Thursday, it still hasn't been handed over to the couriers. I'm getting worried now.

I know shipping from China is slow, so for that reason and to avoid taxes I ordered from the Spanish warehouse. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

That seems pretty normal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that is absolutely normal in my experience, they probably get bulk collections on a few days so it'll probably be out tomorrow or Wednesday.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Mrenda posted:

In the mean time, get a big SD card and set this up: https://amberelec.org/installation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep-beep car is go posted:

Let Russ at Retro Game Corps show you the way:

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/04/27/ps-vita-guide/

I followed his guides for my Vita and I'm an idiot.

He just put up a new video guide today too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OrS7v767I

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He just put up a new video guide today too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OrS7v767I

He has also finally retired from the navy and is going all in with the YouTube stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah hence the Youtuber contractually mandated stark white studio area and Techtuber contractually mandated beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

otter posted:

its a 1001 OLED, baby.

Welcome to the high life lol. I only use my Vita for native/PSP/PSX but it's hands down the best platform for those I've ever used. And definitely get SD2Vita, and check out the Vitahacks reddit for all the stuff you can do (button remapping so I can play the PSP Armored Cores with 2 sticks is a revelation for example). People have made fully functional app stores and everything.