Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ritholtz/status/1562748945305989120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Dudes rock.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man I looked through the Peter Sarsgaard episode of SNL from January 2006 and holy poo poo is it a time capsule of bad. There's a sketch where pirates love to say arrrrr followed by a digital short that's Chuck Norris jokes. The thing opens with a topical sketch that involves minutes and minutes of Darrell Hammond in blackface playing Jesse Jackson. What a loving wretched time it was

I forget. Was that after Tina Fey and Will Farrell left? It wasn't like SNL was high art while they were both there, but I don't think the show's writing has ever recovered from Fey's departure. The performer talent level has been pretty underwhelming in that past decade too.

But I feel like what I just said has been said about SNL since the 80s.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I can't wait for Roger Waters to reconcile this in his head.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/status/1563156846722285570

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Why is catholicism having a resurgance?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

oh boy a 1970s Xmas period piece . would fit well today lol.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

one of my grammar school friend's mom's boyfriend was a henchman in death to smoochy. nice guy. went to see the movie in the theater with them. was weird for an 8th grader.

i remember enjoying it but have not checked it out since.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

When times are apocalyptic, people go back to the church.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

rich people subconsciously feeling guilty about everyone else having a poo poo life. catholicism preys on that guilt and lets you hand-wave it away.

for regular folks who the gently caress knows.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

American Protestantism is inherently empty and meaningless, leaving any generic suburban white person who feels alienated and isolated without any spiritual roots when they try to turn to their generic WASPy family history

Also isn't Shia a sex creep? I think that may be a plus for picking Catholicism too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

rich people subconsciously feeling guilty about everyone else having a poo poo life. catholicism preys on that guilt and lets you hand-wave it away.

for regular folks who the gently caress knows.

I think it's also a burgeoning awareness that even being super rich and being able to do whatever you want is incredibly unfulfilling after a while

there is a gnawing emptiness in a life solely focused on consumption so ritual is a good way to push those thoughts away
also could be a broader backlash to the nihlism of the 70s/80s/90s and general hopelessness of modern existence

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oh god. Speaking as a Born and Raised Lapsed Catholic, there's nothing worse than a Catholic Convert.

KidDynamite posted:

catholicism preys on that guilt and lets you hand-wave it away.

Buuuullllllshit. It most certainly does not. It ramps that poo poo to 11 then passes the collection plate around.

sexpig by night posted:

American Protestantism is inherently empty and meaningless, leaving any generic suburban white person who feels alienated and isolated without any spiritual roots when they try to turn to their generic WASPy family history

A big reason why Protestantism vs. Catholicism was ever a thing was the very nature of the faith involved with the two. In modern America Evangelical Protestantism is all in on faith above all else. Just believe, nothing else matters, everyone can make their own brand, do what they want, just say the magic words and you're good. Catholicism never had any sort of Evangelical flavor. It's always been The Vatican, The Ceremony, The Mass and Saints, and Doing Good Works. You gotta believe, but you gotta put in the work too. Which for a long time was a negative for many people (the doing works part).

However as Sexpig says, Protestantism is so loving hollow now. It's all prosperity gospel assholes and empty stripmall services. Catholicism fills that even if you don't like doing pancake breakfasts for homeless people once a month. But there's another aspect to it: American Catholicism has been having a stealth Evangelical take over for the last 30 years or so. There's a charismatic christian cult known as "Mother of God".

They've been a big force in basically rewriting traditionally liberal and progressive Catholic teachings (outside of abortion) into hardcore Right Wing bigotry. Of course these people start right after Vatican II, for all the reasons you expect, but it took a long time to build a core base.

Officially they're not part of the Catholic church and the Vatican is really not cool with them. They're "recognized" as a "private association of the faithful" which is basically just "we're not excommunicating you, but we're keeping tabs". Also they regularly try to take over churches with their own people and more than once the Church has come in to kick them out or straight up shut down parishes because of them.

MOG is one of the bigger ones but there's a big push to make a version of Catholicism that's just hardcore Right Wing Prosperity Gospel GOP flavor. Not to mention the very weird "Trad Cath" poo poo that Alt-Right people are drumming up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Catholicism also has an extremely powerful superficial aesthetic that all of these very shallow people are attracted to. catholicism, especially American Catholicism, is very friendly to people who want all the trappings of an ancient religion with fancy places of worship and expensive accessories and bits of canon to obsess over without having to commit *too* hard, whereas islam or judaism have higher barriers to entry and require actual substantive lifestyle changes as part of being a member of the faith. if you want to be an American Catholic all you need to do is have some pedophile splash water on your face and maybe show up to the major holidays

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

old school Catholic conservativism views poverty and oppression as blessed conditions, and believes* those groups should be cared for by the better off in society. Largely it does not favor empowering those groups, and that's justified because it could actually morally damage the people who are poor.

In the US that comes off as progressive because here the mainstream view is that the poor should be exterminated out of sight. Poverty is a shameful condition and it must be hidden at all costs.

*allegedly, actual follow through doesn't actually happen

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Aug 26, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

... maybe show up to the major holidays

The good ol' C & E.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

he's Catholic LaBeouf now

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hell yes

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a return to the established church fits well with the whole anti-communism-without-communism thing we've got going on

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

We are becoming stronger

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Post-Post-Modernism is a return to the Totalizing narratives of Modernism but, like, don't let yourself get all worked up over it, jeez.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Antonymous posted:

some really cool movie posts

On the subject of Death to Smoochy: I don't know dick about cinematography or lighting, but having caught it the other day after this thread reminded me of its existence, I'd just like to toss out the opinion that it is funny as gently caress and an absolutely great watch.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Crain posted:

MOG is one of the bigger ones but there's a big push to make a version of Catholicism that's just hardcore Right Wing Prosperity Gospel GOP flavor. Not to mention the very weird "Trad Cath" poo poo that Alt-Right people are drumming up.
Trad Cath is just as popular with the Post-Leftt Crowd as it is with the alt right. It gives burnt out activists who have given up on political change a spiritual outlet and allows them to do direct action even if according to specific Theory it's not all that helpful

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The ideal religion is probably some mix between Islam, Sikhism, and Ambedkarian Buddhism.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
converting to a monotheistic religion is an extremely liberal thing to do

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Crain posted:

Buuuullllllshit. It most certainly does not. It ramps that poo poo to 11 then passes the collection plate around.

that is the handwaving i am referring to.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trad Caths are losers. This is America, you should convert to Mormonism if you convert to anything, not some dying Euro cult.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

you know what? sure, ill watch this garbage

if for some reason though it were set in modern times ralphie would buy his kid an AR15 or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Trad Caths are losers. This is America, you should convert to Mormonism if you convert to anything, not some dying Euro cult.

Mormonism (progressive schools) is acceptable since it is polytheistic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Christmas Story was already a product of Boomer nostalgia, just like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Scrooged were incredibly sentimental about Boomer childhoods. Why on earth are we going back to that?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

A Christmas Story was already a product of Boomer nostalgia, just like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Scrooged were incredibly sentimental about Boomer childhoods. Why on earth are we going back to that?

because there is no future to look forward to and no present to enjoy, we can only continue strip mining our memories for joy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

even when I was a kid A Christmas Story seemed way too "old" for me to enjoy despite forcing myself to watch it multiple times

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

because there is no future to look forward to and no present to enjoy, we can only continue strip mining our memories for joy

I understand that bit, but didn’t Gen X and the Millennials overtake the Boomers demographically? They’re not even our memories, they’re movies we watched about other people’s memories.

Like, Millennials may be nostalgic for Pleasantville and Back to the Future, but not the 50’s. Gen X has probably seen Peggy Sue Got Married, but it’s not their lives in the film.

It’s just a bit strange is all.

e: Though I do wonder what nostalgia for the 90’s and 2000’s would look like. Beyond the aesthetic, I mean. That Woodstock 99 documentary was almost the opposite in tone to Boomers still looking back on the original fondly.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Aug 26, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The thing is they already made Christmas Story 2 like 5 years ago and everyone hated it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I understand that bit, but didn’t Gen X and the Millennials overtake the Boomers demographically? They’re not even our memories, they’re movies we watched about other people’s memories.

Like, Millennials may be nostalgic for Pleasantville and Back to the Future, but not the 50’s. Gen X has probably seen Peggy Sue Got Married, but it’s not their lives in the film.

It’s just a bit strange is all.

oh it's absolutely strange! The extent of the psychic damage that the "I Love The 80's" series did to the Millennial generation will never truly be understood.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Mantis42 posted:

The thing is they already made Christmas Story 2 like 5 years ago and everyone hated it
Are you sure that's not the Ed Helms Vacation sequel?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
What makes it all the more stranger is that Nostalgia is just another word for homesickness. Someone who was born in the 90s/00s, who pines for the culture of an era they didn't live through and that they've only experienced through rose-colored reproductions of that era - they are homesick for a home they've never lived in. Incredibly strange stuff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus was it really a whole decade ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpjOoOcZwk

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

What makes it all the more stranger is that Nostalgia is just another word for homesickness. Someone who was born in the 90s/00s, who pines for the culture of an era they didn't live through and that they've only experienced through rose-colored reproductions of that era - they are homesick for a home they've never lived in. Incredibly strange stuff.

That’s what I’m saying, but maybe it’s difficult to recapture that sentiment for the 90’s and 2000’s? Christmas 2001 is out because everyone was still talking about 9/11, Christmas 2002 Henry Kissinger stepped down as the chairman of a panel investigating the September 11 attacks, citing conflict of interest with his clients, Christmas 2003 the news was entirely about the US capturing Saddam etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
as discussed earlier in the thread, there's plenty of 2000s nostalgia that doesn't revolve around what the bush admin was doing, and it's already being mined. mall punk. flip phones. nsync and backstreet boys. britney. etc