Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There is no man 4 pci in Linux so whatever is on that page probably doesn't apply

I don't know what system500 is but my network interfaces have the same name every boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

There is no man 4 pci in Linux so whatever is on that page probably doesn't apply

I don't know what system500 is but my network interfaces have the same name every boot
Seems like Linux lacks necessary documentation then.

System500 is a pun using roman numerals and the spelling "SystemD", which is how Lennart doesn't want it spelled.

Sure, but as an example what does "ens18" mean? There's no ens(4) driver, and there aren't 19 NICs of that kind in the box - and it gets worse with enp6s18 because that makes no sense in the scheme used by every Unix-like where an interface named after the driver they attach to and a zero-indexed number.

Having repeatable device naming across reboots is cool, but when it only applies to network devices, I don't know how much use it is?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 26, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Seems like Linux lacks necessary documentation then.

System500 is a pun using roman numerals and the spelling "SystemD", which is how Lennart doesn't want it spelled.

Sure, but as an example what does "ens18" mean? There's no ens(4) driver, and there aren't 19 NICs in the box of that kind.

Having repeatable device naming across reboots is cool, but when it only applies to network devices, I don't know how much use it is?

Who cares what it means, and you don't know how much use it is but it is one solution to precisely the same problem someone is having in this thread???

udev rules can also be written to change any aspect of how device files are created and named so you can use it for anything else? And if you don't like the names it gives your interfaces you can write new rules to give your devices a name that makes you feel good?

It's almost like you have zero interesting things to add to a discussion on this topic

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Who cares what it means, and you don't know how much use it is but it is one solution to precisely the same problem someone is having in this thread???

udev rules can also be written to change any aspect of how device files are created and named so you can use it for anything else? And if you don't like the names it gives your interfaces you can write new rules to give your devices a name that makes you feel good?

It's almost like you have zero interesting things to add to a discussion on this topic
Obviously people do care, since even a simple search will find plenty of conversations about names "suddenly" changing and people not being able to make sense of the heuristics based approach to device naming where it matters how it gets enumerated (hint: it shouldn't, see newbus in FreeBSD).
And the documentation isn't correct, because even if I go by the example given in the documentation you linked where "names incorporating firmware provided pci-ex hotplug slot index numbers", it shouldn't give "ens18" as an interface name, since there aren't 19 PCI hotplug devices in the system - there's just 10.

Instead it just gets swept under the table, because we should obviously not criticize any decision made by any developer whatsoever, because they're doing it for free so therefore we should obviously just be thankful for what we get.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 26, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

did you seriously just make up an imaginary linux install with an imaginary device named ens18 on an imaginary system with 10 devices?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

did you seriously just make up an imaginary linux install with an imaginary device named ens18 on an imaginary system with 10 devices?

His forums name abbreviates to BSD, what do you think? :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

No.
pre:
debdrup@dogpound:~> lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 USB [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5446
00:03.0 Unclassified device [00ff]: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio memory balloon
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU PCI-PCI bridge
00:1f.0 PCI bridge: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU PCI-PCI bridge
debdrup@dogpound:~> ifconfig | head -n 9
ens18: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet [snip]  netmask 255.255.255.224  broadcast [snip]
        inet6 [snip]  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether [snip]  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 213374605  bytes 22911783083 (22.9 GB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 166896114  bytes 21427632742 (21.4 GB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wibla posted:

His forums name abbreviates to BSD, what do you think? :v:

Well I certainly wasn't expecting him to have a real Linux install!

So I understand why I was confused about the "systemd/udev" thing. I remembered udev predating systemd by a lot but at some point it was made a part of systemd.

However! There is a non-systemd fork of it called eudev and Alpine seems to have it in its repository! So that might be the way to get predictable device naming going.

okay, literally who cares?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 26, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Well I certainly wasn't expecting him to have a real Linux install!
As almost anyone with enough time on a Unix-like system, I have access to many servers - including some Linux servers that I'm fortunately not responsible for the care and feeding of.

BattleMaster posted:

okay, literally who cares?
You can dismiss it all you like, but if you can't see why it's a problem that the documentation is wrong and something is expected to run in production but doesn't behave the way the sysadmins who administrate it expect it to, I don't think this conversation can go anywhere.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 26, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Okay so let's go with it. Does that example go against the documentation?

ens18 means that the interface is named based on "Names incorporating Firmware/BIOS provided PCI Express hotplug slot index numbers (example: ens1)"

How does PCI Express hotplug number the slots?

quote:

Logical Slot Identifier

A parameter of a Hot-Plug Primitive that uniquely identifies a particular slot. The operating-system vendor specifies the encoding of this parameter. For example, some vendors use PCI bus and device number, while other vendors use physical slot numbers.

So devices can be numbered based on either the PCI bus logical numbering scheme (which doesn't have anything to do, necessarily with number of devices on the bus), or on the physical slot number.

quote:

Physical Slot Identifier

A designation assigned by the Platform vendor that uniquely identifies a physical slot. For example, in a single-chassis system, it is commonly a slot number. In some multiple chassis systems, it is a combination of chassis and slot number.

The physical slot number is assigned by the vendor and also doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the number of devices.

Let's see what ens18's PCI bus logical number is:

quote:

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device

Oh look, hex 12 is decimal 18!!!! Which clearly matches ens18. You were clearly mistaken as to how those numbers are arrived upon. Nothing to do with how many devices there are.

"but what if it's based on the physical slot number???"

then it would have an enp* name: "Names incorporating physical/geographical location of the connector of the hardware (example: enp2s0)"

"but the numbers are not to my liking!"

like it doesn't matter as long as they are the same across boots. It straight up does not matter what the numbers are as long as you know which one is which. You look them up and configure your /etc/network/interfaces or systemd .network unit files or whatever you feel like and then not think about it until you need to reconfigure it. like I cannot think of something I care about less than "the number is 18 but there is not 0-17"

If you care about the specific name and number you can make a udev rule to change it to whatever you want.

regarding the staticness of the names, ens* numbers can change if the contents of your PCI bus change, but the enp* numbers are based on vendor assigned physical slot ID and I've never had them change even with adding or removing other devices.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 26, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

quote:

The idea was that this provides "Predictable Names", though as it turns out the main thing that's predictable about it is that calling it this will cause furious users to pop up disputing the appropriateness of that name.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't even post here much but felt compelled to buy that avatar and text. You are a complete pain in the rear end and should be thread banned from here. You loving moron.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh no I killed the thread! I just enabled dhcp on everything and called it a day, gang! It’s all good! <3

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wouldn't this match on any interface named beginning with en, not just ones that have a link state?
It will force systemd-networkd to "manage" any interface prefixed with "en" regardless of link state, but systemd-networkd itself won't actually do anything until the link is up.

This might be an issue if you have a machine where you want to use both systemd-netword and NetworkManager for unfathomable reasons, but I think everyone pretty much agrees that's a bad idea except for Ubuntu.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

So far as I know, udev exists to solve Linux not enumerating devices the same across reboots, which isn't a problem in most other OS, but is also the cause of people having to use /dev/by-id for OpenZFS.
Yes, at some point the Linux kernel changed and device enumeration isn't predictable across boots anymore. I assume this happens due to different drivers getting probed in different kernel threads, which is probably done so that the machine can boot faster despite drivers having to do things like usleeps to wait for hardware to settle. Naming devices after their driver helps, maybe, except when there's multiple drivers in the kernel that supports the same hardware. As a semi-made-up example, suppose there's a network card that works with both the e1000e and igb driver, I wouldn't really want my device names to change just because I switch out which driver is used for a particular card.

But also, when this issue first came up some 15 years ago the Linux (kernel) people, correctly, pointed out that hardware isn't static and so while PCI bus enumeration should be predictable as long as you're not physically swapping out cards, things like USB adapters and hot-plug devices in general will come and go, and so relying on a name based on enumeration isn't great. They ended up punting this problem to userspace (udev, later systemd) which has better facilities for assigning device names/aliases than the kernel does internally.

For example, with with disks, like /dev/sda being the first SCSI/SATA/SAS device is great, but suppose I'm upgrading my laptop from a M.2 SATA SSD to a M.2 NVMe SSD, suddenly my disk is going to appear as /dev/nvme0n1 instead. Fortunately that's not a problem since most installations will put filesystem UUIDs in /etc/fstab and will successfully mount partitions regardless of what bus or physical media they're located on.

Regarding network devices, usually when it comes down to it there's two scenarios I need to deal with: (i) a machine where the network configuration is fixed to a specific interface which I can key using the MAC address, or (ii) a set of machines that are built identically to each other and so the network configuration is fixed to a particular PCI slot. In the interim period, udev's persistent names supported (i) just fine, but didn't easily support (ii). With systemd-networkd I can write a match rule for either based on which of the two is situationally appropriate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

The idea was that this provides "Predictable Names", though as it turns out the main thing that's predictable about it is that calling it this will cause furious users to pop up disputing the appropriateness of that name.

To be fair, it can produce names like "enp7s0f3u2u3c2" (an actual interface on some of our systems) which is pretty far from human friendly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

xzzy posted:

To be fair, it can produce names like "enp7s0f3u2u3c2" (an actual interface on some of our systems) which is pretty far from human friendly.

You get stuff like that for USB network devices:

[P<domain>]p<bus>s<slot>[f<function>][u<port>][..][c<config>][i<interface>]

It's so long because it specifies which ports of which hubs it's connected to, which ensures that you get the same interface name if you keep it plugged in the same way. I think the whole "stays the same across boots" thing is more important than having a pretty name, and if you only have one USB network adapter then it's not like you're going to mistake that for anything else.

edit: also, bash has autocomplete for stuff like ifup so you just need to type like ifup enp<tab> if you can't be assed to remember it

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 26, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

xzzy posted:

I've only gotten as far as "enp6s1f1" for a PCIe card. My USB Ethernet adapter is named "enx00051bb0a6e2", which makes me think they just straight gave up trying to think of how to better handle USB devices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

"Human friendly" can mean a whole lot of things, and I think the only reason that people who have used *nix for a long time would call "eth0" friendly is that they know it.

Most things in the guts of *nix are astonishingly user-unfriendly, starting with the general pattern of "maximum abbreviation so I can type commands faster". That is provably a massive barrier to learning.

So, my take on human friendly is that the Device Name is the friendly part, and the IF name is the guts part. If you're needing to address things by the guts name you should probably know how that name works. If you don't like "enp7s0f3u2u3c2" because it's too long and goes against the idea that everything should have a maximum of 5 characters, you can alias it to eth0 and be old-school.

(And maybe that's a good idea if you are managing a bunch of machines with variations in hardware -- script each machine to make an eth0 alias for the correct interface, and then have a single script that configures eth0 across all of them.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a period where we forced using the kernel device names, and a period where we'd alias them as well. It caused more trouble than it was worth, so we just live with whatever udev comes up with for us. It's generally pretty usable, but every once in a while it throws a curveball and we get to be amused by it.

Ideally the names it generates would be both persistent and easy to type, but I guess in an era where people increasingly do stuff with a GUI that abstracts it all it's less important. We run thousands of linux servers though so get to look at it constantly.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've only gotten as far as "enp6s1f1" for a PCIe card. My USB Ethernet adapter is named "enx00051bb0a6e2", which makes me think they just straight gave up trying to think of how to better handle USB devices.

This sounds like they may using the hardware MAC address. That would hopefully be both unique and consistent, so I can think of much worse schemes.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 26, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Tfw udev gives up on your device and just uses a serial number

Also, I gotta say, BSD hasn't managed to get the linux thread this angry in years. Good work!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yes, it is the MAC address, that's the obvious part. I'd assume that the alternative is to figure out the USB connection path through hubs and all to the device and use that, which would amusingly change if you connected it to a different USB port.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd assume that the alternative is to figure out the USB connection path through hubs and all to the device and use that, which would amusingly change if you connected it to a different USB port.

That is specifically what the non-MAC address alternative is, which as I posted earlier, contains port information and so will change if it is moved.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
well poo poo

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 26, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Please just forget I said anything, because I can't deal with this right now.
I just found a lump near a place where the previous time I found a lump, it turned out to be cancer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just found a lump near a place where the previous time I found a lump, it turned out to be cancer.

Big hugs friend. Pm me if you want to talk

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

It says systemd/udev so I'm not sure which one or both does it but it's a thing

Also nice BSD man page but this is for linux!!!

BSD is a gimmick troll, and not a very fun one due to their lack of technical knowledge, its best to just ignore them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm crossing my fingers for you, cancer is no joke.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Did the name of the lump change?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Aware posted:

I don't even post here much but felt compelled to buy that avatar and text. You are a complete pain in the rear end and should be thread banned from here. You loving moron.

Aware posted:

You're a goddamn rear end in a top hat. gently caress you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Aware posted:

I wish you would post even less

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

loving hell, best wishes ❤️

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hey man, I appreciate hearing your point of view and having you in the thread. I'm wishing along with you that this isn't bad news once you get it checked out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm sorry. Please be OK! :smith:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That's a bummer, I hope you caught it early and it's treatable.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Shiiit. Best wishes.

(PS please don't stop BSD posting lol)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

You're a goddamn rear end in a top hat. gently caress you.

Sometimes I wish you could plus posts.

But yeah, I agree completely.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah that's less than ideal - I hope it proves to be benign this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aware posted:

I really wish my buttons worked here