Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Wait until it's the level 93 crafted set or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Onean posted:

Just because it has numbers that go up, or any other progression system, doesn't mean it can't be a relaxing and chill experience. Stardew Valley has levels, strict time limits on what you can do during an in-game day, villager friendship, the community center/warehouse and more, yet it's still a standout in chill games.

The difference is in genre and expectation. FFXIV is an MMO, where you're implicitly measured against your peers in whatever you do. Raids, MSQ, glamour, whatever. There's always someone you're implicitly being compared to.

Stardew is a single player game in a genre that is culturally a "chill out" genre. There's plenty of sweaty gamer things you can do--speedrunning, optimizing, achievements--but they aren't the focus of the genre.

Both takes miss the forest for the trees.

RME posted:

What do you think rowena does with all those knives

She sells them to novice adventurers looking to be their own boss, and promises to give a cut of the proceeds from anyone they recruit into the scheme to them. They then go on to rack up tons of Tomestone debt and only sell a few of those knives to their parents and extended family. But at that point it's not Rowena's problem anymore.

SettingSun posted:

22 minutes is still a long time compared to a player party. I don't attempt to wall pull with trusts so that's probably a part of why my average is right about 25 minutes.

I've found that wall-pulling in Trusts is a good way to practice my tanking skills, since it is basically a worst-case scenario heals/DPS combo. It forces you to play your CD rotations properly and utilize all of them. I've gotten better at GNB since I did NG+ using trusts exclusively. (And I was already a solid GNB.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't see why you should feel the need to dye that headpiece. Healers and casters can now just be Darkman, how could dyes improve that?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Having the option to is better than not having the option to.

And they should just have it dyeable and the reissue can be dyed a different way. :colbert:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Has anyone done Rival Wings? How is the balance now?

I do love how they decided to screw the RW release over by not giving it a roulette, while also putting the release between Island Sanctuary and the CC rank reset. They should have just waited like two more weeks. Poor RW :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

If they wanted Island Sanctuary to be chill and not sweatlord island, none of the rewards should have been able to be exchanged for gil.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dareon posted:

Glamposting!

Work in progress, I need more PVP to get really stupid with the steampunk pieces. Also I'm getting better with gpose and learning to use Explorer Mode for cool backdrops.

Look at those ridiculous gloves, I'm not even upset I can't see my rings.

Fake e: Pretty sure they're just dyeable versions of the 60 gear from Idyllshire (Haven't gotten there yet, I haven't even seen multiple cutscenes play in sequence, but I'm wearing wolf mark 60s already), but I'm fine with that.

Nice glam :)

The Virtu sets you can get from the PvP vendors use the same models as job gear, but the dye channels are different. You might like the way the actual level 60 scholar set takes dye more than the PvP set. I think the Virtu sets are all Heavensward job gear, except for the later expansion jobs, which use whatever their first set of job gear was instead.

Cleretic posted:

I don't see why you should feel the need to dye that headpiece. Healers and casters can now just be Darkman, how could dyes improve that?

Yeah it's a good neutral color so I don't mind making an edgelord caster glam to go with it, I like it quite a bit

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

crab secured

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamean posted:

crab secured

Was that just now? I've got showers, not rain.

Edit: ah it was an hour (real time) ago. I just happened to see it when it was 1AM and almost-raining.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 26, 2022

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
After like a year of not doing these, it's back. Hopefully it means I can finally stop digging my heels and finish up Stormblood's post-patches already. Spoiler warning for post-Stormblood, obviously.

So the Scions are currently trying to look for Gosetsu considering Hancock informs them of rumors of someone resembling him and Yotsuyu of all people around Kugane. While the question of why the two are together in the first place is an important one, there's bigger problems since Garlean forces are planning on hunting them down. So for now, they need to follow their trail and fast. With the help of the unreliable, untrustworthy Gyodo who is lucky enough to have some concrete info, they find out that Gosetsu sold his sword to a pawnbroker. When they see the blade, Yugiri clearly knows that it's Gosetsu's and it's clear that the rumor is definitely true. So Alphinaud buys the sword with the Scion's coins (that are thankfully not from the WoL's funds because we would live in Tataru tyranny otherwise) and it's clear that he has no clue how much it would cost and didn't bother haggling for a lower price. Anyway, after a breadcrumb trail, we discover that the two are heading to Doma.

Before they head to the Ruby Sea, Tataru ends up finding out what Alphinaud did and she's not happy, at all. Anyway, they finally encounter Gosetsu and Yotsuyu and unfortunately, it's during an attack from the Garleans. After fighting them off, Gosetsu explains how he managed to survive and why exactly he's with Yotsuyu in the first place. She basically lost her memories and Gosetsu has decided to deliver her to Hien to decide her fate because he himself isn't really willing to kill someone if they have no clue what they did, even if it happened. Meanwhile, Soroban has offered a plan that'll lead to some cash and Tataru is willing to join in after what Alphinaud did. We'll get to that later.

Hien is glad that Gosetsu is alive but less on Yotsuyu. He plans on keeping her in captivity until he decides what to do with her because of various circumstances. We find out about some of Yotsuyu's backstory and we do know that her dad is a dick just like her mother considering he essentially sold her off to be a prostitute. Anyway, Garleans appear and they're not looking for a fight. In fact, they're from a group in the Garlean Empire called the Populares and they wish to negotiate peace with Doma and this small group of the Populares is led by Asahi sas Brutus, Yotsuyu's stepbrother. Oh my...

The negotiation is simple. The former viceroy for the people that were forcibly conscripted in Doma. Hien does see it as a reasonable (in terms of political stuff) deal but he'll take some time to think because the risk of it being genuine or not. Anyway, Asahi seems to be a big fan of the Warrior of Light.

And he's willing to defend people from threats like the Red Kojin (though why are they here?). Anyway, Hien has decided that he'll trade the former viceroy if she ever regains her memories within the time to trade. If not then he will not but the Garleans have to keep their part of the bargain regardless of what happens which seems kinda stupid to me if it was anyone but the Populares, so Asahi agrees despite his displeasure. So Asahi requests to see his stepsister and see if she is genuinely lost her memories. Hien accepts and after a brief amount of time, Asahi returns and confirms it. So that's that, a simple deal that'll go good for Doma regardless of what happens. Everything is going good for the Warrior of Light!

Until Asahi drops the act and reveals himself to be not that different to the rest of his family but he's also the founder of the Zenos fanclub. You'll likely find a "I Heart Zenos" underneath that armor. Asahi gleefully rubs it in the Warrior of Lights' face that he hates you for what you did to Zenos and the fact that you can't do anything to him at the risk of the peace negotiations going sour. Considering what he's saying, it's clear that this negotiation is a part of Asahi's scheme and things are about to get worse...

Alot worse...

During and after all of that, the Warrior of Light joins up with Soroban and Tataru's get rick quick scheme and get caught in a situation where they need to get help from the Four Lords before a rampaging monster named Koryu is awakened. This leads to the usual dungeon romping, beating giant animal men up, old age, a bird lady with kickass music, a snake hydra-taur and a giant golden kirin and in the end, they got the money they wanted and it all came with the cost of having an old turtle man living in Soroban's head.

And I'm finally done with that. All of this was from before Endwalker's release, so these were here for at least around a year or under and Qilin was a catboy back then.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Have any healers tried Containment Bay S1T7 (Unreal)?

How does it feel in terms of incoming damage?

Are there any veterans that can compare it to the Extreme on launch?

Is it neutered by all the oGCD healing tools that exist today?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's easier than it was on launch in HW, although it's hard to say if that's due to additional ogcds in healing kits/defensives powering through the damage or if the playerbase as a whole has gotten better. Also, gear might be a factor as Sephirot released on an even patch which meant there was still room to grow in terms of the intended ilvl for it as compared to an odd patch trial where people are going to be going into it at a higher and more likely equalized ilvl. Everyone's going to be equalized for Unreal so that takes gear variance out of the equation too.

Being able to be rezzed after being knocked off is a huge change though.

If you compare Sephirot to the current Extreme, Sephirot is much easier and it isn't even close.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vitamean posted:

crab secured

How do you even catch fish? Do you need to be a certain rank to craft a fishing pole or is there some method I'm missing

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Macaluso posted:

How do you even catch fish? Do you need to be a certain rank to craft a fishing pole or is there some method I'm missing

You have to manually dive into the water. Default is control + space. Yes, it's silly that we can't dive just by pointing the camera downwards.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

If you compare Sephirot to the current Extreme, Sephirot is much easier and it isn't even close.

Thanks! That's shocking to hear because I still consider it to be the 2nd or 3rd hardest extreme they ever added.

I assure you the playerbase has not gotten better since Heavensward, though the general combat job design has gotten significantly less punishing across the board so it's much easier to do your role sufficiently and not get distracted and miss important boss cues.

The Earth Shaker proximity change and Force Against Might/Magic persisting through death are pretty major changes too, considering the fight was referred to as "long-rope jumping" by its designer. Messing up one mechanic was meant to punish the rest of your team to the point that a run would become unrecoverable, in contrast to how many extreme trials are designed nowadays where most errors simply punish the individual.

I guess I'm saying I'd be surprised if the current extreme required any appreciable amount of GCD healing, but you're making me hopeful!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

You have to manually dive into the water. Default is control + space. Yes, it's silly that we can't dive just by pointing the camera downwards.

I guess I'm so used to just divebombing into the water on a flying mount that I forgot how to dive normally

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I guess I'm so used to just divebombing into the water on a flying mount that I forgot how to dive normally

I had the same problem, but realized, "wait, something about this is familiar" and looked into the bindings for the manual dive, as I had recalled running into this exact problem of not being able to auto-dive without flight.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The first of this year's short stories is up: Tales from the Dawn.
Don't read if you haven't beaten Endwalker yet, massive spoilers from the start

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just did the new trial on normal, that was insanely fun. Me being rock bottom ilvl for it meant the phase transition oneshot me as an AST from full HP + food buff, with no vuln stacks though, lol

I haven't played AST in PvE in months and that one fight made me remember why I main it, it's fun as hell

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, new trial owns. I'm kinda of scared to try and jump into PF for the EX version, but even the normal mode is just an insanely wild ride that's incredibly fun

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
gear is definitely a thing for sephirot, 3.2 was the first time that pre-raid crafted gear existed ever and HW crafting was designed to ultimately never give you an absolute guarantee that you could complete a craft, so it was sparse

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, new trial owns. I'm kinda of scared to try and jump into PF for the EX version, but even the normal mode is just an insanely wild ride that's incredibly fun

Yeah, I got my rear end comprehensively kicked the first time I ran the new trial (and felt extremely self-conscious, although it was already a "help my friend get a clear" PF so at least I wasn't the only badnoob). I suspect it'll be really fun once I get a little more comfortable with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bruceski posted:

Was that just now? I've got showers, not rain.

Edit: ah it was an hour (real time) ago. I just happened to see it when it was 1AM and almost-raining.

if you want to track weather, this is set to check for specific weather at specific times in the island - just set the time/weather you want.

https://codepen.io/zyyzzzzzffyzyyy/pen/ExEJmNN

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Jabbering Idiot posted:

Thanks! That's shocking to hear because I still consider it to be the 2nd or 3rd hardest extreme they ever added.

I assure you the playerbase has not gotten better since Heavensward, though the general combat job design has gotten significantly less punishing across the board so it's much easier to do your role sufficiently and not get distracted and miss important boss cues.

The Earth Shaker proximity change and Force Against Might/Magic persisting through death are pretty major changes too, considering the fight was referred to as "long-rope jumping" by its designer. Messing up one mechanic was meant to punish the rest of your team to the point that a run would become unrecoverable, in contrast to how many extreme trials are designed nowadays where most errors simply punish the individual.

I guess I'm saying I'd be surprised if the current extreme required any appreciable amount of GCD healing, but you're making me hopeful!

To be clear, I meant that Sephirot Unreal currently is much easier than current Extreme. If you compare Sephirot Extreme on launch to current Extreme, that's a much closer comparison although the difficulty is on a different axis IMO so it's hard to compare.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Island Sanctuary mechanics spoiler -

Pasture - you start with 5 animals, upgrade to 10 total at rank 5, and upgrade to 20 total rank 7
Farm - you start with one plot set, upgrade to 2 plot sets total at rank 5, and then 4 plot sets total at rank 7

This is incorrect. I just hit rank 7 and cannot expand the farm/pasture a second time. Which is a shame because tomorrow is a bunch of Beachcomber spawns and I wanted to have the space.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bruceski posted:

This is incorrect. I just hit rank 7 and cannot expand the farm/pasture a second time. Which is a shame because tomorrow is a bunch of Beachcomber spawns and I wanted to have the space.

Renovate the cozy cabin

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. You haven't upgraded your cabin yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Renovate the cozy cabin

Ah that's what it's tied to? Thanks, time to get more logs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobtheconqueror posted:

Edit: I haven't touched island sanctuary yet cause I've still got classes to level and it will likely devour me.

This can happen. I’ve played 10 hours since patch probably, and haven’t done Troia yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Did you know that the critically acclaimed Creature Comforter MMORPG....

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/w_erhir/status/1563195534479081474

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Canon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

powerful

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
holy poo poo this is the first time I've cleared an extreme in the same week it was released

I'm gonna go throw up

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Did you have fun?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
absolutely

then twinklefleece didn't even spawn in my island

it's an evening of extremes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hazardousmouse posted:

absolutely

then twinklefleece didn't even spawn in my island

it's an evening of extremes

same, though i did get a golden coblyn at least

e: also i thought twinklefleece was like, a super rare sparkly sheep (good) and then i looked up what it actually was and now im better for not having found it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, there's something in Twinklefleece's spawn conditions we don't know yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
i've got a FC mate that caught it, so there's some individual variation. i even tried leaving the island and coming back in to try and force it. no dice