Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Edit Tay 2.0 lol

tay was a real attempt at AI that backfired, this one was AI in name only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beartaco posted:

What's up with the Gorillaz, did they ever get cancelled?

Murdoc was in jail for a while, they replaced him with a Powerpuff Girls villain.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gorillaz did NFTs

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Beartaco posted:

Not really but they did redesign their Asian member to make her no longer be a little girl which was probably a good idea

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

You skipped P= VI so sure increase voltage but at constant I, you're increasing power consumption.

Well sure there's no free lunch.

Well until the discovery of bitcoin and digital energy of course.

E:

Rust Martialis posted:

Also, Prof. Dmitrevsky would be disappointed if I didn't state that Ohm's Law should be J = σE
Professor voice: Writing out all the field equations and solving from first principles every time I want to turn on an LED

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 26, 2022

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Let's check in on Binance, that completely trustworthy platform for hosting millions of dollars, and the many reputable businesses using it.

:bighow:

quote:

Binance zeroed our corporate account with more than $1M funds with no exlanations

Yet another reminder that "not your keys — not your crypto" rule was, is, and will be actual even if you are a VIP client.

Binance blocked our corporate account (Baking Bad OÜ) in the beginning of July without any explanations. Any attempts to break through the customer support failed against standard responses that there's an ongoing investigation. For the next two months we were trying to reach out to the compliance team or at least to someone who could bring some light on the case, but it was worthless.

Next thing Binance did was closing our margin positions although there was more than enough margin — also without any explanations (or even notifications). Finally, they set all our balances to zero, just like that, more than $1M loss. It is clearly an outrage, even if there's a supposedly "ongoing investigation", and we won't tolerate that.

There are screenshots to confirm what I wrote but I'm not sure if they can be attached here..

So keep in mind, that even if you think that you are 100% compliant and doing nothing that violates the contract or law — your funds are not safu.

:engleft:

quote:

Binance response:
The account in question was restricted as the result of a law enforcement request, which u/BenderDep
is well aware of, as he was already advised of this multiple times and provided the LE contact form through our support chat system on 7/6, 7/12, and 7/22. Binance is required to cooperate with such requests, the same as any other exchange.
Attempting to mislead the community in regards to your case will not change anything, unfortunately. As you already know, you will need to take up this issue with the law enforcement agency responsible. You were provided a contact method over a month and a half ago. There is a process to contest the seizure with the agency should you wish to pursue that path. But that is done through the agency, Binance has zero control over that process.
For more information, you may refer to: https://www.binance.com/en/blog/ecosystem/my-account-is-locked-what-do-i-do-3129250400431486605

:bighow:

quote:

Edited:
To Binance response:

We haven't received any details about the LA request, even some reference number/letter date. We haven't received any response from the LA either thus we are making a conclusion that there's likely no such request. Finally, Binance zeroed our acc without at least court decision in the according jurisdiction (EU entity <-> Binance EU), so no wonder it looks like an illegal thing to us.

:thumbsup:

quote:

RAIL ROADED

BTW, did some digging - this is the OP company mentioned in the post:

https://www.teatmik.ee/en/personlegal/14868191-Baking-Bad-O%C3%9C

Its owned by https://www.teatmik.ee/en/personprivate/413218-Vladimir-Zarechnev,

A Russian citizen by the looks of it (via zuck book)

So OP was running an Estonian company, and it seems Estonia gov has asked Binance to seize the funds under EU sanctions laws, since its an Estonian company whose founder is Russian. The same would happen to bank accounts of Russians too if they had a bank account with an Estonian bank

Under the current sanctions environment, its unlikely OP will be able to access those funds easily.

Given the publicly available information, the company Baking Bad provides Tezos staking (baking) services. Its possible they did nothing wrong or illegal, but still have the funds frozen since its an Estonian company, the country can ask Binance to block funds knowing the UBO is a Russian citizen

coolusername fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 26, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm inclined to wonder what a business whose name is obviously a spin on a TV show about meth is using cryptocurrency for

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

lynch_69 posted:

Why is Bloomberg paying to advertise crypto on Twitter? Shouldn't they at least pretend to be an impartial news source?

they bought @crypto, they're in pretty deep

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

like, just the twitter handle? lol at spending money on a username

bartok
May 10, 2006

Beartaco posted:

Just found out they are still putting out music but I haven't given a poo poo since Plastic Beach

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Number go down today, likely due to the Feds saying they will continue to increase interest rates. Bitchoin is down about 3% and Etherium is down about 7%.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mappo posted:

Number go down today, likely due to the Feds saying they will continue to increase interest rates. Bitchoin is down about 3% and Etherium is down about 7%.

My inflation hedge

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

lynch_69 posted:

Why is Bloomberg paying to advertise crypto on Twitter? Shouldn't they at least pretend to be an impartial news source?

Lol, the idea is hosed. Let's get this straight:
Pay $15 in transaction fees+tax for $50 of groceries? Clearly this idea has been well thought out. JPOW put out an announcement today, and the market proceeded to bull trap and then drop like a stone. This is it guys, we might see a leg down!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Think we'll hit 20k this weekend?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Lol, the idea is hosed. Let's get this straight:
Pay $15 in transaction fees+tax for $50 of groceries? Clearly this idea has been well thought out. JPOW put out an announcement today, and the market proceeded to bull trap and then drop like a stone. This is it guys, we might see a leg down!

No, you see the price of that $50 shop will be more than halved by removing all the middlemen that prop up the traditional finance industry. The true cost of a prime steak would be mere pennies once the costs of evil bankers, the seed oil industry and the US military are cut out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's still hard to believe these weirdos are genuinely pushing for extra unnecessary steps in the typical transaction process which only result in the enrichment of the third party and don't improve the transaction itself in any way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

King Carnivore posted:

Or maybe have the black person portrayed by a black person instead of doing digital black face.

I just meant if you're gonna do a "virtual rapper" (and you shouldn't) don't half rear end it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

It's still hard to believe these weirdos are genuinely pushing for extra unnecessary steps in the typical transaction process which only result in the enrichment of the third party and don't improve the transaction itself in any way.

All of web3 is figuring out ways to build toll booths in front of bridges that you don't own.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
this but with bitcoin:

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Splicer posted:

Think we'll hit 20k this weekend?

Its sticking to around 20,600 after the big drop. So I don't it's going to move much this weekend. But maybe we will get lucky and another exchange ponzi scheme will collapse and it will fall more!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Watch 13:00 ->
(if not the whole thing)

(he's chatting with FN Meka Instagram account)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7UWRUgoGM&t=780s

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Centralized bitcoin exchanges are the dumbest thing.

The whole point of a trustless peer-to-peer system is so you don't have to give a single centralized third party, like a bank, control over your money. If you're just going to hand over all your internet tokens to a total stranger anyway and hope for the best you might as well just keep real money in real banks where there's at least 100+ years of legal protection, insurance, and recourse available to you if the bank decides to steal it one day.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VitalSigns posted:

The whole point of a trustless peer-to-peer system is so you don't have to give a single centralized third party, like a bank, control over your money. If you're just going to hand over all your internet tokens to a total stranger anyway and hope for the best you might as well just keep real money in real banks where there's at least 100+ years of legal protection, insurance, and recourse available to you if the bank decides to steal it one day.

When you put it this way it actually makes sense that its just antisemitism.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kennel posted:

Watch 13:00 ->
(if not the whole thing)

(he's chatting with FN Meka Instagram account)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7UWRUgoGM&t=780s

Holy fuckin lol

"FnMeka is made by a black lady and an Asian guy w/ a black voice "

LOL

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

VitalSigns posted:

Without centralization they might hit the 7 transaction/sec limit

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Holy fuckin lol

"FnMeka is made by a black lady and an Asian guy w/ a black voice "

LOL

They said the same thing about Rick Astley and look at him now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Centralization is completely unavoidable as a matter of scale. They can't have it both ways of being decentralized and also adopted en masse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nexous posted:

Without centralization they might hit the 7 transaction/sec limit

This is probably a question for divabot, but isn't that limit arbitrary? It's just a hard-coded number someone picked because you need some target to set the difficulty of the number-guessing game, and Bitcoin was just a proof of concept running on a few computers. Why not pick a higher number now that there's gazillions of processors guessing numbers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

This is probably a question for divabot, but isn't that limit arbitrary? It's just a hard-coded number someone picked because you need some target to set the difficulty of the number-guessing game, and Bitcoin was just a proof of concept running on a few computers. Why not pick a higher number now that there's gazillions of processors guessing numbers.

No, it has to do with the block size not the difficulty. The difficulty has nothing at all to do with the tps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh well now that I think about it there might be a perverse incentive. If you want fork the code to change the transaction limit, you need to get most of the miners to agree to switch. And since transaction fees are paid to the miners, who have large electricity costs, more transactions per second is probably going to mean lower fees per transaction.

So they'd probably be against it, at least if they are depending on the fees. But idk if they make their money from fees or from the new bitcoins that are created and awarded to the winner.

E:

evilweasel posted:

No, it has to do with the block size not the difficulty. The difficulty has nothing at all to do with the tps.

Oh maybe I just don't know how it works. I thought the way they set the difficulty is by looking at transactions per second. If a bunch of new computers connect and start verifying blocks faster then the difficulty is increased to get it back down.

Well then my question is why don't they increase the block size or whatever it would take to increase tps

E2:
Ok nevermind Wikipedia has an explanation of the problem and why it's hard to change it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_scalability_problem

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 26, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its silly its ideological because its clear it will never quite scale but its also ideological for real deal crypto impacts. Larger block size and or quicker block time aggravate the effects of the consequences of needing to pick which chain is realer when multiple chain solutions are found simultaneously for several generations. The rules of thumb like 'wait 3 confirmations' mutate and would possibly result in a chain that isn't really scaled, not really, because you now need to be extra sure the chain is set and not going to be supplanted by a realer chain that is maybe just time lagged from your geography.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

VitalSigns posted:

the bitcoin community has had multiple entire civil wars over the idea of increasing the block size, and the last one had a good number of the big holders threaten to sell their hundreds of thousands of btc en masse if the block size got touched

it did not

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Oh well now that I think about it there might be a perverse incentive. If you want fork the code to change the transaction limit, you need to get most of the miners to agree to switch. And since transaction fees are paid to the miners, who have large electricity costs, more transactions per second is probably going to mean lower fees per transaction.

So they'd probably be against it, at least if they are depending on the fees. But idk if they make their money from fees or from the new bitcoins that are created and awarded to the winner.

E:

Oh maybe I just don't know how it works. I thought the way they set the difficulty is by looking at transactions per second. If a bunch of new computers connect and start verifying blocks faster then the difficulty is increased to get it back down.

Well then my question is why don't they increase the block size or whatever it would take to increase tps

E2:
Ok nevermind Wikipedia has an explanation of the problem and why it's hard to change it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_scalability_problem

I mean they have tried to increase the block size before, it almost always gets shot down and spunoff to an irrelevant fork because changing the block size means the majority of mining is ASIC driven, which means that they have specialized microcircuits dedicated to handling blocks of the current size that suddenly no longer work with the current scheme.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mappo posted:

Its sticking to around 20,600 after the big drop. So I don't it's going to move much this weekend. But maybe we will get lucky and another exchange ponzi scheme will collapse and it will fall more!
Lol it dropped 400 since you typed this whatever you're doing keep it up

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah reading over the wiki page and some of the news articles in there, it seems the debate is between people who want more transactions per second because it would make bitcoin more usable as a currency and people who are against this because they want to discourage people from spending bitcoin to make them hodl instead. Lmao.

Also the more transactions people keep losing the argument and trying to fork off their own bitcoin with blackjack and hookers.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/jwz/status/1563364536262230018

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Huh. I always just assumed that .eth was some ultra-slow mess that just amounted to resolving a fake address to a functioning TLD via smart-contract. I should have realized they always have to add extra levels of convoluted failure.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 27, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Grimm times: Why one local artist is banking on the metaverse to break even

quote:

Across a 10-year career, Diaz Grimm has never profited from his music. He believes his new album could change that – and solve a music industry crisis.

Bear with me, because Grimm’s new playbook is a little complicated. Influenced by his enthusiasm for bitcoin, blockchains, Web3 and NFTs, Grimm is selling the rights to his new music, meaning fans can join his own personal community of financial investors. Using the Ethereum blockchain, they can buy one of 100 Album Ownership Tokens (AOTs) giving them them exclusive perks like vinyl records, free entry into shows, and access to the Grimmverse, an online world being built.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/27-08-2022/grimm-times-why-one-local-artist-is-banking-on-the-metaverse-to-break-even

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Fragile network hosed by greed in every way. Also, poo poo. I had one of these stupid addresses. No more ever renewing that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

We were blow 20k there for a second.