Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, don't do a fraud chargeback on something that has an account like this, Steam, etc. They'll just ban your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, don't do a fraud chargeback on something that has an account like this, Steam, etc. They'll just ban your account.

Yeah, I'm not too chagrined because:

a) I don't think it's them being shady/lazy as a money-making scheme
b) account not compromised
c) no other strange charges on card

(and I was the one joking about class action)

I might call or chat to see how the charges started to avoid in the future. My thinking is SNAFU. There's no way I just fat thumbed something on my phone or computer without multiple confirmations and card entry though so that's odd. Card is only stored on Chrome (PC) and Google Pay.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Check your Microsoft and Google account access histories to ensure it's not someone fiddling around on another device? Like if you did a trade-in for your new phone, maybe someone has access to the old phone and was testing the waters.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If it's not in your purchase history, then just do the fraud report with your cc on those transactions and they'll issue you a new card/number.

Google will probably lock the account that did the fraudulent transactions and leave your other ones alone.

I went through this recently. It's no big deal (except for being a pain in your rear end).

Security guy at the bank was like "it's common" as the fraudsters are using google/etc to purchase services from app stores/youtube/etc which they own. Bonus is that it launders the funds at the same time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Okay to get away from the fraud talk.

I'm setting up an arcade cabinet with emulators because I'm a single dude in my 40s and wants to relive my glory years. One issue I'm running across is that the PS2 emulator won't read 7z files, which is of course what all my games are in. A few questions -

- Is it possible to see what the extracted size is of a giant chunk of 7z files? I'm wondering if it's worth it just to pull the trigger and extract everything and leave it, but I want to know how much space that's going to take up on the drive.

- Barring that, is there any good programs to bulk convert 7zip to ZIP files?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Medullah posted:

Okay to get away from the fraud talk.

I'm setting up an arcade cabinet with emulators because I'm a single dude in my 40s and wants to relive my glory years. One issue I'm running across is that the PS2 emulator won't read 7z files, which is of course what all my games are in. A few questions -

- Is it possible to see what the extracted size is of a giant chunk of 7z files? I'm wondering if it's worth it just to pull the trigger and extract everything and leave it, but I want to know how much space that's going to take up on the drive.

- Barring that, is there any good programs to bulk convert 7zip to ZIP files?

I'm going back to bed because I had to handle a 6am conference call but if you post the last question in the PowerShell thread someone will probably immediately post the 1-liner you need or I'll do it when I get back up. It's trivial to bop all your 7zs over to zip and is probably the best solution.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I'm going back to bed because I had to handle a 6am conference call but if you post the last question in the PowerShell thread someone will probably immediately post the 1-liner you need or I'll do it when I get back up. It's trivial to bop all your 7zs over to zip and is probably the best solution.

I ended up just pulling the trigger and extracting everything. The emulator needs to unpack anything before opening as a ZIP file and space is no longer the premium it once was.

Next question - what's your guys current online cold storage backup solution recommendations? I have always ued Carbonite but the last few years it's been erroring out and giving me issues, and based on searches I'm not the only one.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i use iDrive. I can't speak to if it's the best and its UI reminds me of the early 2000's in not a great way, but it backs my stuff up and lets me restore it reliably and lets me choose my own encryption key

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wyoak posted:

i use iDrive. I can't speak to if it's the best and its UI reminds me of the early 2000's in not a great way, but it backs my stuff up and lets me restore it reliably and lets me choose my own encryption key
I'm very happy with it.

Was surprised to discover I managed to forget to copy an important folder when reformatting a dead PC. Was amazed it was still sitting on my iDrive account like 1.5 years later under the original computer name.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I've got a strange problem with Windows 11. If I try to view my desktop in a separate window, almost half of the shortcuts that are on the desktop are missing from the window. How do I get all of the shortcuts to show in the window?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sashimi posted:

I've got a strange problem with Windows 11. If I try to view my desktop in a separate window, almost half of the shortcuts that are on the desktop are missing from the window. How do I get all of the shortcuts to show in the window?

Those shortcuts were made by program installers and put in C:\Users\All Users\Desktop

(Where, as you might expect, they show on the desktop of all users.)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Klyith posted:

Those shortcuts were made by program installers and put in C:\Users\All Users\Desktop

(Where, as you might expect, they show on the desktop of all users.)

C:\Users\Public\Desktop :eng101:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Awesome, thanks!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Not entirely topical, but...

I've relied for years on InMotion Hosting's visual domain routing tool to take a domain and spit out a simple diagram showing nameserver, web, and MX record, including hostname and IP.

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/tools/visual-domain-routing

It stopped making usable result links about a year ago.

What are y'all's alternatives. Really, all I care about is a quick way to find out what low-rent web host / mail host some client is using.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Tapedump posted:

I've relied for years on InMotion Hosting's visual domain routing tool to take a domain and spit out a simple diagram showing nameserver, web, and MX record, including hostname and IP.

What are y'all's alternatives. Really, all I care about is a quick way to find out what low-rent web host / mail host some client is using.

I use https://mxtoolbox.com/ for this kind of thing.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oh, now that's pretty cool. 👍 Thank you, that'll be handy

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm trying to avoid needing to manually crush things in Task Manager > Startup every time some stupid app updates. Is there a PowerShell or CMD command I can add to my "setup Windows script" that will prevent application updaters/installers from adding themselves to my auto-start? I use winget to update lots of things, and no, Webex, I do not want you re-adding yourself to startup every loving time you update, which seems to be twice a week for some loving reason.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Tapedump posted:

I just use dig.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm having trouble sharing drives, or anything, between two of my computers. Both run Windows 10 Pro. Both have network discovery and file sharing on. On the computer (OLDCOMPUTER) sharing the drive, the drive is shared to Everyone, and OLDCOMPUTER shows up as a network device on both computer's Network tab. When I try to open OLDCOMPUTER in the network tab on NEWCOMPUTER, I get the error message "\\OLDCOMPUTER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator..."

What am I doing wrong?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does Windows still whine if you have the machines on different workgroups? Additionally are both machines network settings set to "private network"?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Does Windows still whine if you have the machines on different workgroups? Additionally are both machines network settings set to "private network"?

They're both on private networks, but it looks like they're on different ones. Which is weird because they're both connected to the same router? In Network and Sharing Center, Oldcomputer (wireless) is on "Network 6, Private Network" while Newcomputer (wired) is on "node, Private Network." Node is also the name of my network, and I'm guessing they both need to be the same for file sharing to work. How can I change the old one from Network 6 to node? Assuming that is the problem.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Would the computer even be visible on the other one if they actually were on different networks? I'd look more into the permission thing like the error message suggests.

E: Thoroughly recommend sharing with specific users that have username and password. This simplifies things imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Node posted:

They're both on private networks, but it looks like they're on different ones. Which is weird because they're both connected to the same router? In Network and Sharing Center, Oldcomputer (wireless) is on "Network 6, Private Network" while Newcomputer (wired) is on "node, Private Network." Node is also the name of my network, and I'm guessing they both need to be the same for file sharing to work. How can I change the old one from Network 6 to node? Assuming that is the problem.

The name of a network in that display is arbitrary -- names will default to "Network #" (with an incrementing number whenever windows sees something that makes it decide it's changed networks) unless you rename it yourself.

A good first step to troubleshoot this is to get the IP addresses of the PCs and try to connect by IP. You can do \\192.168.1.69 in the address bar just like you would do \\OLDCOMPUTER.

If IP addresses work, problem is likely with your router (and specifically the router's DNS).

Flipperwaldt posted:

E: Thoroughly recommend sharing with specific users that have username and password. This simplifies things imo

Yeah that too -- "everyone" is just the known users for the local PC. Guest is still disabled by default, so you have to have a valid user/pass.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Would the computer even be visible on the other one if they actually were on different networks? I'd look more into the permission thing like the error message suggests.

Made a little progress: I turned off password protected sharing, and now I can access \\Oldcomputer. But when I try and open the shared drive, it does say "You do not have permission to access \\Oldcomputer\e. Contact your network administrator to request access." It does look like it has something to do with permissions, but this is beyond my knowledge of windows - what do I need to change?

edit:

Klyith posted:

A good first step to troubleshoot this is to get the IP addresses of the PCs and try to connect by IP. You can do \\192.168.1.69 in the address bar just like you would do \\OLDCOMPUTER.

If IP addresses work, problem is likely with your router (and specifically the router's DNS).

Using the IP address of oldcomputer does work, so I guess this is falling out of Windows territory. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Node fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 24, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Node posted:

Made a little progress: I turned off password protected sharing, and now I can access \\Oldcomputer. But when I try and open the shared drive, it does say "You do not have permission to access \\Oldcomputer\e. Contact your network administrator to request access." It does look like it has something to do with permissions, but this is beyond my knowledge of windows - what do I need to change?

Are you logged in using the same Microsoft account for both PCs? Or do they have PC specific users.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can you try going to My Computer and mapping one of these as a network drive? Also, do you use a different username between the two machines? If so when mapping the network drive do it under different credentials and do so as OLDCOMPUTER\oldcomputer_username alongside its password.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

Are you logged in using the same Microsoft account for both PCs? Or do they have PC specific users.

I think they both use the same account.

Node fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 24, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So a Microsoft account?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So a Microsoft account?

I was wrong - newcomputer is connected to a Microsoft account, oldcomputer isn't.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

On the new computer, I would go to the Credential Manager and remove whatever credentials are stored for the oldcomputer network resource, in the hopes that next time you try to access it, it prompts you for the relevant (oldcomputer) credentials instead of just giving you an error message.

If that doesn't give you access, I would use the Shared Folders snap-in in Computer Management to peep at the properties of the share on the old computer, probably manually add the oldcomputer user (instead of relying on Everyone). Then delete the cached credentials on the new computer again and give it another shot.

Computer Management and Credential Manager should be searchable from the start menu.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do try my previous post's suggestion as it can at least give us an idea as to where the permission issue lies - at least with the second half where you connect under different credentials.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So what is up with the "read only" tickbox for folder and file permissions? I think a couple years ago it started instantly reverting back to read-only every time I changed it. Is this just me?

99% of the time it isn't an issue but every once in a while I run into some weird program that can't edit files and I have to gently caress with security settings to get it to work. And I don't really want to do that since I'll inevitably forget to revert the changes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

Can you try going to My Computer and mapping one of these as a network drive? Also, do you use a different username between the two machines? If so when mapping the network drive do it under different credentials and do so as OLDCOMPUTER\oldcomputer_username alongside its password.

Nothing seems to happen on the new computer when I create a network drive to a folder on the old. It doesn't show up in Network.

My username is the same on both computers.

I did find a way to get this to work - on the old, I right click a drive -> folder Properties -> Advanced Sharing -> check Share this folder -> Permissions -> add Everyone. This lets me access the old drive on the new computer. Is this the way you're supposed to do it? Is there a way I can specify which network user can access the drive, or is it all or nothing?

Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense here, this subject is very much out of my league. I'm doing my best.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 25, 2022

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

I just use dig.

Oh, that's awesome, thanks! The Google Toolbox bit is super helpful. Thanks again!

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Node posted:

I was wrong - newcomputer is connected to a Microsoft account, oldcomputer isn't.

Node posted:

My username is the same on both computers.

If the user on one PC is a MS account and the other is not a MS account, they're not actually the same username despite appearing the same.

But also, when you connect to OldComputer, if you're using the account name and password of a user on that machine, it's all good and those are the credentials you're using. Like, for example say this is your layout:
code:
PC          | Username          | Password
OldComputer | BobSmith          | 12345
NewCopmuter | BobSmith@live.com | 12345
When you're sitting at NewComputer and try to connect to OldComputer, OldComputer has no idea who BobUser@live.com is. So it asks "who did?" and you get a box asking for user / password. If you enter BobUser - 12345 you will get access to shares that BobUser has permissions for, and as far as OldComputer is concerned you *are* BobUser.

I *think* you will have a much easier time if you transform BobSmith on OldComputer into your connected MS Account, but I don't know for sure because I always avoided MS accounts like plauge. (It would be equally easy to do shares if NewComputer had a non-MS BobSmith, but that's harder.)

Node posted:

I did find a way to get this to work - on the old, I right click a drive -> folder Properties -> Advanced Sharing -> check Share this folder -> Permissions -> add Everyone. This lets me access the old drive on the new computer. Is this the way you're supposed to do it? Is there a way I can specify which network user can access the drive, or is it all or nothing?

You can only specify local users (unless you're in a domain). There are Share permissions and NTFS local file permissions, and if a user doesn't have the NTFS permissions to see / interact with a file, then they can't touch it even if they have Share permissions.

Node posted:

Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense here, this subject is very much out of my league. I'm doing my best.

All this poo poo is why MS spent all of Windows 7 & 8 trying to make an easier, one-click sharing system with Homegroups. It didn't work, and now the idea is that casual users just use OneDrive to share things between their PCs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Klyith posted:

When you're sitting at NewComputer and try to connect to OldComputer, OldComputer has no idea who BobUser@live.com is. So it asks "who did?" and you get a box asking for user / password. If you enter BobUser - 12345 you will get access to shares that BobUser has permissions for, and as far as OldComputer is concerned you *are* BobUser.

I *think* you will have a much easier time if you transform BobSmith on OldComputer into your connected MS Account, but I don't know for sure because I always avoided MS accounts like plauge. (It would be equally easy to do shares if NewComputer had a non-MS BobSmith, but that's harder.)

This was it. I signed into my MS account on old computer, I added \\Node to the permissions (which changed its name into Myrealname myemailaddress@goatse.cx) and now I can access the folder on new computer, without sharing to Everyone. Thank you! That was more difficult than I expected.

I had to enter my credentials upon first connect, and I was surprised that it wanted my MS account password. Does my private file sharing really need to be linked with an online account? Well, okay.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is thereany tool that can automatically rip my Spotify collection to mp3? Or maybe something I can feed my library metadata into to allow easy downloading? I am a Spotify Premium user, but I don't really use it enough anymore to justify paying for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Node posted:

This was it. I signed into my MS account on old computer, I added \\Node to the permissions (which changed its name into Myrealname myemailaddress@goatse.cx) and now I can access the folder on new computer, without sharing to Everyone. Thank you! That was more difficult than I expected.

I had to enter my credentials upon first connect, and I was surprised that it wanted my MS account password. Does my private file sharing really need to be linked with an online account? Well, okay.

First, make sure SMB Direct is turned on on both devices.

Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off.

Then, make sure the old computer is in a workgroup.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/workgroup-windows/

I don't have 2 windows machines, but you should probably set both machines to the same workgroup for ease of access. Workgroup sharing works with non-windows devices, so I don't think it's necessary, but may be.

Here's how it should work IIRC

Enter properties menu on folder to share.

Under "Sharing", Click "Share" to ensure sharing is turned on on that folder. Don't add any users. Just share as your OLDCOMPUTER user. Any files or subfolders in that folder will share, and you can share root level folders if you really want to.

Paste the network link to that folder shown on the share settings into explorer on the new computer trying to access that folder.

\\OLDCOMPUTER\SHAREDFOLDER

It should prompt you to log into the user of OLDCOMPUTER, including using the workgroup name.

A good way to test if the share is working is to download VLC Player on your phone. You can hit "Connect" under file servers, and under SMB put your OLDCOMPUTER sharing name (also visible as"Full Computer name" under the workgroup settings) under server, then user, password, and whatever you set the workgroup to.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 26, 2022

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So, I don't really wanna open a can of worms or be a narc but I need a new key for another PC I'm building and need a copy of Windows. I was gonna go on SA-Mart, but..those keys can't be legit, right? I bought Office keys from one of the sellers before, and I didn't activate it for a few months. When I did, I got some random error message and was asked to go to a kinda sketchy website to get a phone activation code.. I'm actually kinda surprised those threads just keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Bank posted:

So, I don't really wanna open a can of worms or be a narc but I need a new key for another PC I'm building and need a copy of Windows. I was gonna go on SA-Mart, but..those keys can't be legit, right? I bought Office keys from one of the sellers before, and I didn't activate it for a few months. When I did, I got some random error message and was asked to go to a kinda sketchy website to get a phone activation code.. I'm actually kinda surprised those threads just keep going.

In the strictest sense of the word, they are not. But I'm not really losing sleep about it.