Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My guess is they're hiring several thousand phone operators and like a few dozen special agents, which they've always had to my knowledge, and the right wingers want to scare the dumbest most gullible people on earth by pretending every vacancy is the special forces coming to murder anyone earning between 50 and 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Would a part time accounting job be possible for me? I have only one semester before I get my bachelors.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you're willing to do tax preparation there might be local firms who need help with September and October extension clients. You could also do bookkeeping for a local company of any sort - I did 15 hours a week of bookkeeping for a heavy equipment rental company in my last semester before graduation. So part time jobs for students do exist.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hellblazer187 posted:

So how many of you have had clients complaining about Biden's 90,000 armed IRS agents, Antifa Super-Soldiers who must be prepared to use deadly force against hardworking white parents in the town square?

I just got my fourth email about it. Lol.

I had someone bring it up on one of my last appointments. They were scared about their return being audited because of it. Yet, they were yelling at me for apportioning their interest over the $750,000+ principal and saying I was wrong to do so and there is no way that is correct and it must be wrong because why would they make a law like that?

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Not an accountant but I follow this thread because my girlfriend is. Random question for the purposes of a joke to her: what is the absolute worst combination of things someone can do to gently caress up their individual return and make their accountant hate their life

Edit: to be clear I will not actually do any of these things

oh god oh fuck fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 16, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
One of the worst things I've had from a new client was they owned multiple apartments in a building in NYC, and for years had been depreciating them as one lump and decided when they switched to my firm that they wanted to separate the cost basis of each apartment out because they were going to start selling them off. And oh yeah, they did not actually give me a depreciation schedule and there must have been improvements at some point because the depreciation per year did not match the math for the cost basis. Don't remember how we ended up straightening everything out.

Another awful thing would be a client who intended to do a 1031 exchange but didn't actually follow any of the 1031 rules when doing the sale and purchase of the properties.

Also awful in a sad way is when people get duped into leasing solar instead of buying and expect to get the credit. Or when they buy an electric car and expect to get the credit but it's a model that's been phased out.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Thank you! Taking notes

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Thank you! Taking notes

I think shenanigans with a sole proprietorship that isn’t real then trying to deduct everything is probably popular.

Also having lots of of crypto activity, and then “bartering” things and saying that’s not income.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
A raw data dump of crypto activity as if I'm supposed to know what any of that poo poo means.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I don't know how to journalize tht other than call the cia fod financial crimes

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

make their accountant hate their life

New client, an engineer, does not provide original documents but had transcribed them into multiple sheets of an Excel workbook. The transcriptions include only the information the client thinks we need, therefore we are missing some vital information, and there appears to be some errors in the transcription.

When you ask the client for a copy of the original documents they get indignant because they spent several hours organizing their documents for you. They eventually agree to provide this, but will say that they included a draft 1040 as the final page of the Excel workbook — the reason is because they expect those figures to be the end result to be and that any discrepancies must be accounted for.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Epi Lepi posted:

One of the worst things I've had from a new client was they owned multiple apartments in a building in NYC, and for years had been depreciating them as one lump and decided when they switched to my firm that they wanted to separate the cost basis of each apartment out because they were going to start selling them off. And oh yeah, they did not actually give me a depreciation schedule and there must have been improvements at some point because the depreciation per year did not match the math for the cost basis. Don't remember how we ended up straightening everything out.

I relate so hard to this one. Its so hard getting depreciation schedules. I swear to Yeshua that some accountants withold it on purpose to make leaving harder. Nothing was worse thaj depreciation.

quote:

Another awful thing would be a client who intended to do a 1031 exchange but didn't actually follow any of the 1031 rules when doing the sale and purchase of the properties.

This was a reoccurring problem. On the positive side, the person who would make this mistake tended to be assholes. Nicer clients are generally more cautious so they got the straight advice in advance.

quote:

Also awful in a sad way is when people get duped into leasing solar instead of buying and expect to get the credit. Or when they buy an electric car and expect to get the credit but it's a model that's been phased out.

This one always sucked. A sleazy salesman tricked them. You feel bad for them. And then, sometimes, they go after you for being the barer of bad news.

lovely situation all around.

Missing Donut posted:

New client, an engineer, does not provide original documents but had transcribed them into multiple sheets of an Excel workbook. The transcriptions include only the information the client thinks we need, therefore we are missing some vital information, and there appears to be some errors in the transcription.

When you ask the client for a copy of the original documents they get indignant because they spent several hours organizing their documents for you. They eventually agree to provide this, but will say that they included a draft 1040 as the final page of the Excel workbook — the reason is because they expect those figures to be the end result to be and that any discrepancies must be accounted for.

I had a guy like that once. They didn't respond hyper well when it turned out my draft made them owe a ton more because they didn't know distributions from traditional IRAs are taxable with penalty. The guy was...not nice after my draft said they owed a ton.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Missing Donut posted:

Oh my god this is the winner.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Sometimes (every day) I remember why I didn’t go into tax

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I had a new client this year with prior year foreign tax credit carryover from a TurboTax return (apparently their father has done their returns for years). The form for marking all that changed this year, so of course the TurboTax forms from last year don't match this year's format. After I finally figured it all out, the client wanted to sit down and review the return. Not the section with the foreign tax credit, mind you. The whole thing. They literally asked to see the worksheet where the tax on their W-2 income was calculated. It took two hours, and they questioned every single thing. I had to go to the back of the office and stifle a scream when they left.

I get wanting to check a complicated thing. If you don't trust me enough to report your W-2s correctly, why the gently caress are you paying me to do your return in the first place? Just go back and have your father do it again this year so he can walk your entitled rear end through the whole return.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
IT guys who run their own consulting business always have input on the process.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The new trend of buying fractional shares of private planes

People in 145 hedge funds that don’t produce k-1s until 9/15

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 16, 2022

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

nope. absolutely not. jesus christ.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ungratek posted:

The new trend of buying fractional shares of private planes

People in 145 hedge funds that don’t produce k-1s until 9/15

I'm actually still waiting on a K-1 for last year because the partnership I'm in has foreign partners, and the IRS changed the rules but didn't release the guidance so... fun times.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The classic hosed up client thing is the good old fashioned box of receipts.

I hate the dudes who don't understand what diversification means so they have like 10 brokerage accounts, but each has like a few grand worth of ETFs.

Or the people who have a double digit number of K1s but each is like, $14 in oil and gas revenue or something.

That's just the "annoying but not illegal" category.

I've had people who thought that because I was also an attorney, attorney-client privilege applied and I'd prepare and sign a tax return that failed to include significant portions of their income. Also just a ton of people who ask me to leave stuff off a tax return with no justification of any kind whatsoever. "Do we really need to include the rental?" "Yes. Yes we do."

Missing Donut posted:

New client, an engineer

Honestly you could stop there.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 16, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

The classic hosed up client thing is the good old fashioned box of receipts.

I hate the dudes who don't understand what diversification means so they have like 10 brokerage accounts, but each has like a few grand worth of ETFs.

Or the people who have a double digit number of K1s but each is like, $14 in oil and gas revenue or something.

That's just the "annoying but not illegal" category.

I've had people who thought that because I was also an attorney, attorney-client privilege applied and I'd prepare and sign a tax return that failed to include significant portions of their income. Also just a ton of people who ask me to leave stuff off a tax return with no justification of any kind whatsoever. "Do we really need to include the rental?" "Yes. Yes we do."

Honestly you could stop there.

The attorney client privilege thing is hilarious because people LEGIT thought they could tell me some illegal poo poo all the time. They were shocked when I had to be explain that accountants have no privileges.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

The attorney client privilege thing is hilarious because people LEGIT thought they could tell me some illegal poo poo all the time. They were shocked when I had to be explain that accountants have no privileges.

Even if there was a general accountant-client privilege (and I think there should be) it still wouldn't mean we'd be allowed to sign fraudulent returns. "Oh yeah that $80,000 in interest from a foreign investment, well it's privileged since we talked about it so just be a dear and leave it off the return." Lol.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i think this is the right thread? if not, you can just tell me to gently caress off or whatever.

in any case, got a bit of a situation here.

i recently took on a second, salaried job. i just started the new one yesterday and need to fill out a new w4. question two states i should complete the step if i have two jobs or am married filing jointly. i am the former only, and am filing as single.

however, i do not want my new employer to know i am working two jobs. how should i correctly fill this form out so that my jobs do not know about one another? given i am not married filing jointly, if i chose any of the three options for that question will tip off the employer. and i just can't have that happen.

how do i make this work? is it possible?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just use the online app the form tells you about and it will tell you a number to put on line 4(c) to make sure you don't owe tax when you file next year. I think the only way your employer would know you have two jobs is if you check the box for Step 2 (c) but you don't need to if you're using the app (Step 2(a)).

If it's even a moderately big company they'd likely never notice at all if you did check it, the payroll dept just wants to make sure they get withholding right.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so to be perfectly clear, check BOTH 2a and fill out 4c. i can't simply just fill in 4c, correct?

sorry for this silly question. i just need to make absolutely sure of this. and i don't want to commit perjury obviously, so.

e: ohhhhhh, i think i'm confused because the online form they sent me has a checkbox, whereas the real form does not. i think that means i can bypass the box on their online form? yea, i was able to preview it and it's all fine.

thank you for your help!

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 17, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does anyone happen to know if it's like, allowed for me to receive refund direct deposits on behalf of my clients? Many of them do not have bank accounts and also don't have a good mailing address for a check. Is there any guidance on if/how I can do this? It would make some things much easier for some clients.

Edit: Lol, it says right in the 1040 instructions I can't. So, there's that.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 25, 2022

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I think the process involves having like a trust acct i spent 10 mins looking into it yrs ago and all i remember is when i realized how annoying itd be to setup i just decided nah

Theres a (semi)local cpa here who gives out predatory refund loans and then has client refunds directed to their account, sketchy af if u ask me

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

black.lion posted:

I think the process involves having like a trust acct i spent 10 mins looking into it yrs ago and all i remember is when i realized how annoying itd be to setup i just decided nah

Theres a (semi)local cpa here who gives out predatory refund loans and then has client refunds directed to their account, sketchy af if u ask me

It's literally a subplot in Better Call Saul.

CPA ethics rules specifically and explicitly forbid it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It would be a real boon to my clients if I could, but I totally understand why you're not supposed to do it. My situation and client base is unique (living abroad in a country with lovely postal system, many don't have US accounts or good mailing addresses).

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got a new job as an assistant controller in a construction company, small one. I received a non-disclosure agreement that includes a non-compete. It says I can't work for a competitor for 6 months, only 3 if I'm fired. If I agree to sign, would that bar me from working in any company or would I be fine as long as they don't compete with my current employer? Does it even matter since its a construction company and I'm an accountant. I live in New York.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

I got a new job as an assistant controller in a construction company, small one. I received a non-disclosure agreement that includes a non-compete. It says I can't work for a competitor for 6 months, only 3 if I'm fired. If I agree to sign, would that bar me from working in any company or would I be fine as long as they don't compete with my current employer? Does it even matter since its a construction company and I'm an accountant. I live in New York.

They most likely only mean a competitor of theirs. They don’t want you going to another construction company and giving out leads on jobs they’re going to do or deals they’ve cut with vendors and poo poo that would allow other companies to undercut them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

They most likely only mean a competitor of theirs. They don’t want you going to another construction company and giving out leads on jobs they’re going to do or deals they’ve cut with vendors and poo poo that would allow other companies to undercut them.

Yeah, I guess it just means if I want to keep this job I can't go to a construction company in the future.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Covok posted:

Yeah, I guess it just means if I want to keep this job I can't go to a construction company in the future.

Might be worth running it by a labor law attorney in your state; see how enforceable the thing actually is. Entirely possible it's not, so signing it would mean nothing.

Alternatively, you said it's a pretty small outfit; if you find out you love construction, maybe the next step would be to work for a firm that offers relo :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shrug. It is what it is. I can't exactly drop the job now. I'll have someone look at it before I sign it. If it's bad, I'll see what I can do. And to think I was so happy to be in a job without one of these after I left my old job and its nonsolicitation. Why is this poo poo so common in accounting?

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 27, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Covok posted:

Shrug. It is what it is. I can't exactly drop the job now. I'll have someone look at it before I sign it. If it's bad, I'll see what I can do. And to think I was so happy to be in a job without one of these after I left my old job and its nonsolicitation. Why is this poo poo so common in accounting?

If you want to leave and go to a competitor just do it.

Just don’t tell them where you went. Non-competes are quite often unenforceable and are typically just meant to try to scare employees, to get what the employer wants.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It's common everywhere dude.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Yeah, I work in real estate/construction as well and my employment contract includes a two year non compete. But the fine print basically says I won't steal any clients/buyers/sellers from the company.

So if I leave and start my own business that's fine, long as I'm not copping direct relationships from my previous employ. Not uncommon.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'm in real estate (management side) and I've never heard anyone signing a noncompete. Do accountants really deal with pricing in smaller construction companies?

Harry fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Harry posted:

I'm in real estate (management side) and I've never heard anyone signing a noncompete. Do accountants really deal with pricing in smaller construction companies?

From one of my old co-workers who landed at a construction company, absolutely. They're heavily involved in pricing, job P&Ls, and understand the company's strategy. At least by me, construction companies tend to be local in focus and therefore all of their real competition is local, so the business does want to protect that.

In contrast, when I worked for a specialized manufacturing company, I did not have a noncompete but I did have an agreement regarding confidential information. They weren't worried that I'd quit and work for another local manufacturing company, but they absolutely did not want me to move to another state and work for their competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Trying not to lose hope or get frustrated by the lack of people giving me a job. I'm just stuck with this and trying to finish up school. Gods I hate how they all keep saying "doesn't work with your school schedule."