Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It sounds like you might have an older android phone. If you're a fan of holding onto the same device for long periods of time, I recommend looking into an iPhone SE. You tend to get way more longevity out of it.

That said, a 5 year old smart phone that's no longer receive OS or security updates really shouldn't be your daily carry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DC Murderverse posted:

Go big, get a room at the Poly, spend every day at a park and end every night at Trader Sam’s I did that literally right before the pandemic and it was incredible.

This guy gets it, more suggestions like that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The best part about Sam's solo is you will not see much wait and can always find a way to make friends with just 1.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VorpalBunny posted:

I can't even get the Amazon app anymore, I tried to open it a few days ago and it said something like "this app is no longer supported on this phone" and shut down.

I just think replacing a perfectly good smartphone for a few apps is nuts. I need the high end smartphone equivalent of a jitterbug.

If you're smartphone poor, you need to be aware of what companies try to support their phone for a substantial time, and which only support you for a year and change and then forget about you.

Five years ago, that was Apple. Apple is only dropping off the iPhone 6S from 2015 from getting new features with the iOS update coming in a few weeks, and the 6S will likely still get critical vulnerability patches for a few years. In very recent times, Samsung and Google's Pixel line have offered 3 years of new OSes and two years beyond that of security fixes to that last OS. Apple still tries to support phones until their specs are a burdensome nuisance.

If you're looking for a phone right now, $200ish range would be the 2nd generation iPhone SE used. Maybe throw $50 at getting the battery replaced.

Motorola and any other Android brand outside Galaxy/Pixel aren't worth considering, and even the Pixels aren't unless they're the current $400+ models (although they often go on sale, I got mine for $150 with trading in an iPhone 7 from five years ago.) Whether it's because of component vendors not keeping up their drivers or craven profit-seeking, those guys will give you about one major upgrade mid lifecycle and then decide you haven't done anything for them lately and should just consume more product.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 27, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

couldcareless posted:

It sounds like you might have an older android phone. If you're a fan of holding onto the same device for long periods of time, I recommend looking into an iPhone SE. You tend to get way more longevity out of it.

That said, a 5 year old smart phone that's no longer receive OS or security updates really shouldn't be your daily carry
Yeah, if multiple apps have told you "hey we're not supporting this any more", that is not a trend that's gonna slow down. Time to take the hint and upgrade -- doesn't have to be this year's latest and greatest, but Amazon and Disney aren't doing that to be jerks, y'know? There's something crucial your phone needs to do, likely for security purposes, and it can't.

If you're absolutely insistent on not getting a new phone, though, you could grab a MagicBand? At least that'll get you in the gates.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, if multiple apps have told you "hey we're not supporting this any more", that is not a trend that's gonna slow down. Time to take the hint and upgrade -- doesn't have to be this year's latest and greatest, but Amazon and Disney aren't doing that to be jerks, y'know? There's something crucial your phone needs to do, likely for security purposes, and it can't.

If you're absolutely insistent on not getting a new phone, though, you could grab a MagicBand? At least that'll get you in the gates.

No, I understand. The writing is on the wall, I just am fundamentally resistant to the idea that I have to buy a several hundred dollar device when this one is functioning just fine. The screens keep getting bigger, they don't fit in my pants pockets any more, and the device deals just aren't there like they used to. I am a grumpy old cheapskate.

But it still sucks that in order to function in the parks you HAVE to have a smartphone. And a fully recently upgraded one at that. And a portable battery, because you need to use that sucker all day. For us old (and older) folks it really complicates something that seems so simple. Just give me a physical magic key, please! I even asked multiple castmembers at multiple gates and parks, and in city hall, but they just don't print passes for passholders. Why does it have to be so hard?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

couldcareless posted:

The best part about Sam's solo is you will not see much wait and can always find a way to make friends with just 1.

I’m not super social so I just sat on the patio and honestly I kinda like that better, especially when the musician is out and the temperature is comfortable. But if you are social inside Sam’s is the place to be.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My dad had the same iPhone 5 for years. He only upgraded last year to a new phone because ATT was dropping support for the cell network it had and wouldn't work anymore. Before that happened he would call me and complain that critical apps (like his bank) just stopped working.

What I'm asking is: Are you my 72 year old dad?

I got him an iPhone SE (2nd Gen) for like $50 after ATT deals.

It's too bad Disneyland doesn't offer physical media, though. At WDW you can still get a card and of course a magic band if you want that. I've got my pass on my Apple Watch now and I can just tap it like a Magic Band. Very cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I hate smartphones in general, in part because I know I'm the kind of person who gets sucked into screens and stays there, but also because few other people have that level of self awareness. The last time I was in a Disney park with friends I spent a depressing amount of time having to literally cover people's screens to get them to stop refreshing Google news or checking the wait times on rides. Their kids qualified for the free pass in Paris, we just walked in the exit to get on any ride!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Disneyland still has physical paper tickets

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zero One posted:

My dad had the same iPhone 5 for years. He only upgraded last year to a new phone because ATT was dropping support for the cell network it had and wouldn't work anymore. Before that happened he would call me and complain that critical apps (like his bank) just stopped working.

What I'm asking is: Are you my 72 year old dad?

It feels like it sometimes, yeah. The only apps I have on this phone are a game to kill time, Facebook because I am an old person, Target and my email. Everything else is stuff I cannot delete.

Anya posted:

Disneyland still has physical paper tickets

Disneyland does not give physical paper tickets for Magic Keys. They are only available through the app.

I have been told they would honor admission with a screenshot of my Magic Key. I haven't had to try that yet, but I know they don't offer any discounts with my screenshot. So far, I have visited the parks with my husband and his newer smartphone and our phoneless kids.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

VorpalBunny posted:

No, I understand. The writing is on the wall, I just am fundamentally resistant to the idea that I have to buy a several hundred dollar device when this one is functioning just fine. The screens keep getting bigger, they don't fit in my pants pockets any more, and the device deals just aren't there like they used to. I am a grumpy old cheapskate.

But it still sucks that in order to function in the parks you HAVE to have a smartphone. And a fully recently upgraded one at that. And a portable battery, because you need to use that sucker all day. For us old (and older) folks it really complicates something that seems so simple. Just give me a physical magic key, please! I even asked multiple castmembers at multiple gates and parks, and in city hall, but they just don't print passes for passholders. Why does it have to be so hard?
Okay, so, first off, your phone is not functioning just fine. Falling out of support is a major red flag. You've got security vulnerabilities now, and when -- not if -- more are discovered, you won't get the patches that fix them. And you've been told this already, but -- you do not need a fully recently upgraded cellphone. You need a cellphone that's still supported by its manufacturer. You can get an iPhone SE or an older model for quite cheap or free; I strongly suggest you go have a chat with your wireless carrier, because they doubtlessly have deals they're willing to cut you on older models. (Which can be quite small!) Also, you really need to go to Apple. Based on the tone of your complaints, you are the absolute last dude in the world who should be messing around with Android, let alone whatever cheapo manufacturer you've currently got. You don't need the flexibility or the new features faster, what you need are long-term support and the It Just Works aesthetic.

And regarding a physical pass -- what you're asking for is the hard way. You want them to use printers they don't have to make you a pass to be read by scanners they don't have in a system they don't use. The way they do it now is the easy way. They're running everything through your phone because basically all of society at this point assumes you've got a smartphone and are carrying it around all day anyway.

Also, for what it's worth, you can get a physical pass at the main ticket booth, but it'll cost you $20 per ticket. It's highly likely you could get a working phone for free.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This pass without phone thing, isn’t that the point of magic bands?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This pass without phone thing, isn’t that the point of magic bands?

Magic Band can get you in to the park, and can get you food if you're staying on property.

But it can't manage Genie+ and ILLs and can't mobile order food.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I don't want to hear a man talking about phones being too big for pants pockets. I have an iPhone 13 and if it can fit in the tiny and few pants pockets clothing manufacturers allow women's clothing to have, it'll fit in men's pants pockets. No excuses.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Braksgirl posted:

I don't want to hear a man talking about phones being too big for pants pockets. I have an iPhone 13 and if it can fit in the tiny and few pants pockets clothing manufacturers allow women's clothing to have, it'll fit in men's pants pockets. No excuses.

— Crab Bucket Gal :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VorpalBunny posted:

It feels like it sometimes, yeah. The only apps I have on this phone are a game to kill time, Facebook because I am an old person, Target and my email. Everything else is stuff I cannot delete.

Go to Best Buy and look up the Samsung Galaxy A53. It's a good value (probably available at no out-of-the-door cost with payments that will take less time than the useful life of the phone) and Samsung is giving all devices made from 2019 onward four years of security updates so phones from the past few years are worth keeping longer than phones from five years ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Counter point gently caress the man do what you want

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Go to Best Buy and look up the Samsung Galaxy A53. It's a good value (probably available at no out-of-the-door cost with payments that will take less time than the useful life of the phone) and Samsung is giving all devices made from 2019 onward four years of security updates so phones from the past few years are worth keeping longer than phones from five years ago.

Ok, I did some googling and my phone (LG K20 V) came out in 2016, and it was a budget phone even then. I accept my new reality, and shudder to think how I am going to pay for all these phones when my kids start needing them.

Back on topic, today at Disneyland the music that plays between DLR and DCA suddenly switched from classic Disney tunes to...mariachi music? I caught about 90 seconds of it on video, it was blown out and distorted over the speakers, and by the time we came back through the area it was back to classic Disney. It would be fun to find out what that was all about, how would the feed get messed up like that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

almost as good as drunk guy climbing mexico

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, I did some googling and my phone (LG K20 V) came out in 2016, and it was a budget phone even then. I accept my new reality,

If you're upgrading a phone every two years because of security, you're buying the wrong phones. You might want to hit up the cell phone subforum. There's threads for android and iOS devices. People in there can give you some recommendations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, I did some googling and my phone (LG K20 V) came out in 2016, and it was a budget phone even then. I accept my new reality, and shudder to think how I am going to pay for all these phones when my kids start needing them.

You can usually find an A-series Samsung phone that is low/no cost for both new lines and 2 year upgrades and they're pretty good phones. When we got my kid's first cell phone last year they were running some really good deals and she ended up with a much better phone than both of us (LG V60) for no cost.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Scruff McGruff posted:

You can usually find an A-series Samsung phone that is low/no cost for both new lines and 2 year upgrades and they're pretty good phones. When we got my kid's first cell phone last year they were running some really good deals and she ended up with a much better phone than both of us (LG V60) for no cost.
I brought an A-10 to the parks back in March and apart from not being able to do the signal scanning for Galaxy's Edge (and continuing my trend of "Android devices don't like QR codes for some reason" :negative:) it was fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VorpalBunny posted:

I accept my new reality, and shudder to think how I am going to pay for all these phones when my kids start needing them.

The model I suggested gets monthly updates and will not need to be replaced until March 2026. Even people in the IYG phone threads typically avoid phones that need to be replaced after only two years.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 29, 2022

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

This is right next to Ron Jon's. which is just off frame to the right. He could just be testing the merchandise. :shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Nice!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Nice!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nice!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hey, travel agent friends who are familiar with Universal. If I can't find availability at a hotel for my travel dates does that mean it is 100% booked with no chance to get a room, or is there hope? I had a great deal for Aventura for my dates, I checked back the next day and it was gone and now the only thing is Cabana Bay (which I love) for more than twice the price. Incredibly frustrated.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It’s probably booked but you can try calling the hotel directly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Good news: Evian is back at the food and wine festival
Better news: it’s literally the same price as gross-rear end overpriced Aquafina
Worst news: it’s only at the France booth which always has stupid-long lines

Will that stop me? gently caress no, Aquafina sucks poo poo

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Just bring a reusable water bottle

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

For the castmembers in this group, what are the precautions for costumed characters in weather like this in SoCal? Just work for very short periods of time? Are there any fans or vents or anything in those suits? Has a Mickey ever fainted from the heat?

We cancelled our reservations for Disneyland on Monday. I can't imagine it being any fun in weather like this. Even if we were to somehow keep cool, I figure everyone around us would be cranky.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lol that’s normal for like 9 months here in FL, but add 100% humidity to make it all the worse.

They work 30 mins on, 30 mins off generally, for both costumed and non costumes characters.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anaheim's humidity level is currently at 31%. My god I would kill for that.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Anti-Bunny posted:

Just bring a reusable water bottle

You can also just go up to any place with a soda fountain and ask for a cup of ice water and boom, free ice water.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
No fans or vents or anything.

In FL at least, there are at least 2 levels of heat procedures. I can’t remember exactly the temps but pretend it’s like, 80 and 90. Each level hit shortens their set by like five minutes or so.

For instance, Donald in Mexico will have two performers scheduled doing thirty minute sets each from Labor Day to Memorial Day or so. If it’s unusually hot, they may only do 25 or 20 minute sets which leads to those awkward times when Donald’s gone. During summer, they’ll have three performers by default so they’ll automatically do the shorter sets.

If it’s an indoor location obviously the heat outside doesn’t matter and they’ll tend to do longer sets, like 45 minutes. This only applies to costumed performers of course, face characters don’t get any shortened sets due to heat.

Of course, there’s always that one manager that refuses to call heat contingencies until he has performers passing out on him….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

VorpalBunny posted:

Has a Mickey ever fainted from the heat?
I'm going to Sesame Place in San Diego tomorrow and I hope I don't have to watch any muppets die

would not want to be an elmo on parade in this weather