Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Sad news!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

Sad news!!

Oh bummer.

I can see why they did it though.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

logikv9 posted:

Sad news!!

Yikes! I just got done watching Deep Six v. HUGE in the Golden Bolt tourney. Likewise, I can see why this was done, but it's a bummer anyway. Godspeed, you glass cannon. :patriot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

logikv9 posted:

Sad news!!

Can create their own competition with Blendo

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Blendo was 'too dangerous to compete' because it was entered into a competition that had no ceiling on the box lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sucks that they denied Deep 6 from entering this year. Although maybe understandable to not want a bottom tier bot that does thousands in damage to the box.

It is a good sign though if they are actually accepting on declining applications though, it's getting pretty late in the year since there's supposed to be at least 8 weeks notice before a filming date, and there's currently nothing. Doubt they want to film Battlebots between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sucks that they denied Deep 6 from entering this year. Although maybe understandable to not want a bottom tier bot that does thousands in damage to the box.

I don't know how much they're able to repair the floor between fights too. I can't recall seeing someone hit a huge gash, so they must be able to patch those up, but the state of the floor in bounty hunters is real bad and loving with all the low-ground bots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1561669516014280706

Pre-show, I'll predict Bloodsport advances to finals and loses to Skorpios.

Pretty weak field for this one, but should be some even matches.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

I'll predict that the finals is Bloodsport v Lucky and the winner will be determined by which bot has the least mechanical issues from the previous 2 fights. Skorpios will be really hard to beat.

Cinderella longshot prediction: Blade V3.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Dill pretty much as expected. lol at demolishing the minibot right at the buzzer.

I thought Blacksmith/Deadlift would be closer than that, but Blacksmith did some good work. Really good driving.

Maybe should have just recapped this Lucky-Switchback fight.

Hell of a fight with Blade and Kraken. Felt like we finally saw a bit of what all the hype was about with Blade going into the big tourney.

I'm surprised the Kraken team doesn't want to keep going with the design. It seems like they kept getting better and better, but not really at the same pace as the rest of the field.

Orby continues to have poo poo just jar loose inside Blade like nearly every other fight. Delivers 1 or 2 big hits, then shuts down.

Switchback-Blacksmih was all about driving. Rookie driver vs. Al Kindle and Switchback got rocked even though they probably had the better weapon.

Wooooooooo boy, the finals was a slobberknocker. Don't envy the judges there.

I just don't think Bloodsport has the resilience to beat Skorpios. It spins up very slowly, can only deliver one hit at a time where the most successful spinners are able to push through the first hit and keep shredding. Skorpios is basically Blacksmith but much better, and Blacksmith almost beat Bloodsport. Skorpios are great drivers on top of that.

Oh, Skorpios' weapon is hosed up. I think they're still on track to win though. Bloodsport will get the damage but lose control and aggro. The plan to take out Bloodsport is pretty simple just stay on top of them and Skorpios did that.

On the scoring:
It's always down to how that damage category gets scored. Skorpios pushed Bloodsport around the whole fight, but the only real damage in the fight was Bloodsport bending their weapon (it was already hosed up before that too). Does Bloodsport deserve 5-0 points for doing the only damage in the fight?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1561669516014280706

Pretty weak field for this one, but should be some even matches.

they really just stuck them all together huh

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Orby continues to have poo poo just jar loose inside Blade like nearly every other fight. Delivers 1 or 2 big hits, then shuts down.

Spoilering a flaw with one of the bots in the 2nd round... The only thing that seems to have actually broken on Blade in that fight, is it's body work and it got highcentered on itself. They also just had some bad luck in the main season with going against Skorpios and then having their blade break immediately against Lucky.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Spoilering a flaw with one of the bots in the 2nd round... The only thing that seems to have actually broken on Blade in that fight, is it's body work and it got highcentered on itself. They also just had some bad luck in the main season with going against Skorpios and then having their blade break immediately against Lucky.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that was hard to tell. That's very unlucky.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Big Dill pretty much as expected. lol at demolishing the minibot right at the buzzer.

I thought Blacksmith/Deadlift would be closer than that, but Blacksmith did some good work. Really good driving.

Maybe should have just recapped this Lucky-Switchback fight.

Hell of a fight with Blade and Kraken. Felt like we finally saw a bit of what all the hype was about with Blade going into the big tourney.

I'm surprised the Kraken team doesn't want to keep going with the design. It seems like they kept getting better and better, but not really at the same pace as the rest of the field.

Switchback-Blacksmih was all about driving. Rookie driver vs. Al Kindle and Switchback got rocked even though they probably had the better weapon.

Wooooooooo boy, the finals was a slobberknocker. Don't envy the judges there.

I just don't think Bloodsport has the resilience to beat Skorpios. It spins up very slowly, can only deliver one hit at a time where the most successful spinners are able to push through the first hit and keep shredding. Skorpios is basically Blacksmith but much better, and Blacksmith almost beat Bloodsport. Skorpios are great drivers on top of that.

Oh, Skorpios' weapon is hosed up. I think they're still on track to win though. Bloodsport will get the damage but lose control and aggro. The plan to take out Bloodsport is pretty simple just stay on top of them and Skorpios did that.

On the scoring:
It's always down to how that damage category gets scored. Skorpios pushed Bloodsport around the whole fight, but the only real damage in the fight was Bloodsport bending their weapon (it was already hosed up before that too). Does Bloodsport deserve 5-0 points for doing the only damage in the fight?

On the damage comment here's the current criteria:

Some general notes (haven't watched the fight yet, spoilering just to be safe)

The current damage criteria was written to make it much easier to know what a damage score should be, both for the judges and for the teams. This is also meant to solidify that a 5-0 on damage, with damage as the highest point category, should be a challenge to achieve. People will argue both sides of this, but the objective criteria actively helps non-KE bots in the sense that if they are able to survive a KE weaponed opponent with all their bits still working they're at worst losing damage 3-2, where in the past you would have people argue the fight should be a 3-2, 4-1, and a 5-0 all in the same comment chain for a vast array of reasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeNCR posted:

On the damage comment here's the current criteria:

Some general notes (haven't watched the fight yet, spoilering just to be safe)

The current damage criteria was written to make it much easier to know what a damage score should be, both for the judges and for the teams. This is also meant to solidify that a 5-0 on damage, with damage as the highest point category, should be a challenge to achieve. People will argue both sides of this, but the objective criteria actively helps non-KE bots in the sense that if they are able to survive a KE weaponed opponent with all their bits still working they're at worst losing damage 3-2, where in the past you would have people argue the fight should be a 3-2, 4-1, and a 5-0 all in the same comment chain for a vast array of reasons.

Oh yeah, those rules are a lot clearer than I thought they were, and the decision in question makes complete sense in light of that.

Bloodsport gets "significant" instead of "massive" damage points and loses on getting completely stomped in control and aggression

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Big Dill lol

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Faruq with the Pickle Rick joke.

Also: Faruq with the IMDB joke. Absolutely legendary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blacksmith was one hell of a late bloomer but it's in a surprisingly good place, now? Historically I count them out. And it's very cool to see Blade getting a chance to shine a little, since the main season was so underwhelming.

But the big news here is Kraken's final match. It's disappointing since, along with maybe Quantum, it was one of the most effective grabby control bots and very reliable systems to match plus a fun style gimmick. Hopefully they iterate in a control bot and maybe pop up with test designs in NHRL.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
So disappointed in Blade, they just had nothing but bad luck the whole time and only had chance to show off how good they obviously can be. They only lost because Bloodsport hit the back of their wedge and bent it downwards. Shame they're retiring Kraken, it always looked like the most fragile thing ever but it always kept going and going no matter how hard it got hit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty cool of these teams to retire bots that aren't working and start fresh. I'm sure Kraken and Duck could have just kept going to Battlebots. The fans like them so the committee would never have rejected them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

RIP Kraken, you were cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

i was more getting the sense that bloodsport were either intentionally throttling back their weapon so that they wouldn't take recoil if they were rammed into the wall, or they were experiencing some electronics issue. they can spin up really fast and stay spun up. its how they beat skorpios back in season 5

frankly some of it is the stupid shelf removing a lot of bloodsport's ability to maneuver. rewatching the season 5 fight they can consistently out maneuver skorpios and keep the weapon engaged. also on rewatching i can hear the bloodsport team telling eachother to 'let the weapon cool' so i guess the motor must run especially hot and they're afraid of losing it in a fight

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wasn't surprised by any of the matches. Some were pretty close calls though. Nothing like some of the other episodes at how crazy things can get.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP Kraken, you were cool

It needed to be retired a few seasons ago.Happy it existed, Happy it’s gone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With how badly damaged it ended it makes sense to retire it

I feel like unless they loosen or restrict the rules it's going to be Hydras or vertical spinners as optimal and nothing else, and I don't think Hydra can really take that on exclusively

Bring back weight brackets and allow interference with other bots imo

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Weight brackets are good for the sport, but bad for the show.

Maybe kid me's attention span was lacking, but following the old Comedy Central series sucked when they kept switching from middleweight to heavyweight to featherweight.

I just wanted to see if Biohazard could get its revenge. Get that Wacky Compass out of my face (Wacky Compass was actually good and fun)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

With how badly damaged it ended it makes sense to retire it

I feel like unless they loosen or restrict the rules it's going to be Hydras or vertical spinners as optimal and nothing else, and I don't think Hydra can really take that on exclusively

Battlebots won't get to this point for 1 simple reason. They won't approve 100 Biteforce clones to compete. People will keep bringing fun bots. It would be nice if they added an extra weight bracket and maybe made it a thing for Discovery+ and got more money out the show.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cheaper offseason with lightweight bots, do a travelling show

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's not a TV show, but there are tons of small robot fights throughout the year. Most upload some/all their fights to YouTube and a few even make it easy to find those channels

https://www.robotcombatevents.com/

Plus you can go see them live if they're nearby or you feel like traveling.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Great Beer posted:

It's not a TV show, but there are tons of small robot fights throughout the year. Most upload some/all their fights to YouTube and a few even make it easy to find those channels

https://www.robotcombatevents.com/

Plus you can go see them live if they're nearby or you feel like traveling.

Thanks for the link! I'm seriously considering a road trip from Maine to a NHRL event and the December championships sound like a really good time based on the description on their site. It would be a Christmas present for me my daughter.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The NHRL events do seem pretty well run and the live streams they do are really great. I pretty much always post a link a few days before their events. Lots of Battlebots participants there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Cheaper offseason with lightweight bots, do a travelling show

:hmmyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The NHRL events do seem pretty well run and the live streams they do are really great. I pretty much always post a link a few days before their events. Lots of Battlebots participants there.

I just wish they had a higher production presentation, but that takes a lot of time and money.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tunicate posted:

I just wish they had a higher production presentation, but that takes a lot of time and money.

It's quite honestly been pretty drat good in the recent events, especially for what is really a live feed. Outside of maybe televised sporting events, I'm not sure anything else that does a great job of production! They have a banner with the robots fighting and the time left in the fight. And usually get some good replays of the key moments of fights.

They have 5 boxes now, so until towards the end of the day, it's pretty much just nonstop robot fights and commentary from 2 of the 4 commentators they usually have now. They could do better with the presentation of the remote judging but they've been working on it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Otteration posted:

It needed to be retired a few seasons ago.Happy it existed, Happy it’s gone.

it needs a way better front, something with sloped angles to better deflect hits from spinners. the hard sides gave blade a ton to catch onto and rip apart.

the tongue also feels too narrow, too difficult to get under poo poo and stay underneath poo poo.

i think you can run a decent crusher/grabber and have it do well but it needs a total rethink for the current forks + vert spinner meta

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh jay posted:

Weight brackets are good for the sport, but bad for the show.

Maybe kid me's attention span was lacking, but following the old Comedy Central series sucked when they kept switching from middleweight to heavyweight to featherweight.

I just wanted to see if Biohazard could get its revenge. Get that Wacky Compass out of my face (Wacky Compass was actually good and fun)

it didn't help that CC never ever showed the actual full bracket so you had no idea who was gonna fight who until around the quarterfinals. also they'd skip fights constantly (even once you hit the 'tv rounds')

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The CC show got a lot of people interested but it was a mess and didn't really seem to know its audience (or participants).

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I'm getting caught up with the current tournament and just finished the third episode. Here's a hot take: I super, super do not like Glitch. I'm looking forward to them toddling around the box before Tombstone knocks the poo poo out of them. Glitch just not have enough maneuverability or reliability of movement to stand up to anyone in the main tournament. They did a good job against Rotator, but that feels like a fluke, and something they'll be unlikely to be able to do against a field full of drivers as good as Victor Soto.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Ok. I just watched Kraken v. Blade and here's another hot take for you:

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

I'm getting caught up with the current tournament and just finished the third episode. Here's a hot take: I super, super do not like Glitch. I'm looking forward to them toddling around the box before Tombstone knocks the poo poo out of them. Glitch just not have enough maneuverability or reliability of movement to stand up to anyone in the main tournament. They did a good job against Rotator, but that feels like a fluke, and something they'll be unlikely to be able to do against a field full of drivers as good as Victor Soto.

:allears:

I'm eagerly awaiting your update to this post.