Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

This is exactly what this is, wasn't there a person who claimed to be a Rockefeller who ended up murdering someone too?

Much like Trump, she's a con-artist, not a spy. The only "Russia connection" is that she is literally the child of Ukrainian immigrants.

You should should supply Canada with this evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

socialsecurity posted:

You should should supply Canada with this evidence.

The spy angle seems to something the media is running with based on the evidence of her being Ukrainian, which as we know is essentially Russia.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FishBulbia posted:

The spy angle seems to something the media is running with based on the evidence of her being Ukrainian, which as we know is essentially Russia.

I think it's more the fact that she was living a fake identity while cultivating relationships with members of the former administration, myself

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

FishBulbia posted:

It would have been USSR anyway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eric Cantonese posted:

This might be a better question for another thread, but I've always wondered how much the recent influx of people into Arizona has changed the landscape since the pandemic. If you're moving from California to Arizona, are you just slightly less GOP-inclined? Are you really that likely to be left-leaning?

If it is anything like the migration into Texas the people moving from CA are disproportionately rather conservative. People don't move to another state without a drat good reason and "I'm tired of Commiefornia!" is that reason for a lot of folks on the right.

It's a bit of a joke here in Texas how the worst "rah rah Texas! Come and take it! Wooo freedom!" assholes are almost always recent transplants who moved thinking they'd be in conservative utopia.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

If it is anything like the migration into Texas the people moving from CA are disproportionately rather conservative. People don't move to another state without a drat good reason and "I'm tired of Commiefornia!" is that reason for a lot of folks on the right.

It's a bit of a joke here in Texas how the worst "rah rah Texas! Come and take it! Wooo freedom!" assholes are almost always recent transplants who moved thinking they'd be in conservative utopia.

As a Californian, this is consistent with my observations about people moving to Texas. With the notable exception of people moving to Austin, where I've seen a bunch of priced out kids looking for a cool place that is cheaper.

Arizona also gets retirees in addition to conservatives. Florida too.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 27, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The DOJ is drafting an anti-trust suit against Apple and could launch it in the next few months. They will likely wait until after the appeal of the Epic Games lawsuit against Apple is finished to file the suit.

The DOJ is also investigating whether to launch an anti-trust suit against Amazon for both its Amazon.com business and the Amazon Web Services division.

The DOJ is seeking:

- To break up the App store in order to stop Apple from punishing competitors to its in-house Apps.

- Requiring the company to spinoff its "business services" divisions; including Apple Pay, Apple TV+, Apple Music, and its in-app payment system.

- To prove that Apple uses its market dominance to unfairly harm smaller tech companies.

- To force Apple to open up its devices to repair and modification by users.

- To force Apple to allow third-party Apps that use its hardware (such as tracking apps) to operate without restrictions.

- To force Apple to allow third-party Apps access to location data and other data on the phone that they need to operate and compete against Apple's in-house apps.

- To force Apple to either allow the installation of other operating systems on its phones or stop ios from preventing users from installing apps on their iphones that don't go through the App store.

- To require Apple to allow payment through third-party payment processors or apps.

https://twitter.com/joshua_sisco/status/1563213380407611392

quote:

Justice Department lawyers are in the early stages of drafting a potential antitrust complaint against Apple, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter — a sign that a long-running investigation may be nearing a decision point and a suit could be coming soon.

Various groups of prosecutors inside DOJ are assembling the pieces for a potential lawsuit, the individual said, adding that the department’s antitrust division hopes to file suit by the end of the year.

Still, the Justice Department has made no decisions whether or when to sue Apple, the world’s most valuable public company, cautioned that person and one other familiar with the probe — and it’s still possible no case will be filed. Both were granted anonymity to discuss a confidential investigation.

The suit would be the latest major legal problem besetting the country’s biggest tech companies two years after federal regulators and multiple states filed antitrust cases against Google and Facebook. And it would be the DOJ’s first antitrust suit against one of the tech titans during President Joe Biden’s administration.

The Justice Department has been investigating Apple since 2019 over allegations that it abused its market power to stifle smaller tech companies, including app developers and competing hardware makers. As the investigation has progressed, a suit has become increasingly likely, but the move to drafting sections of the suit is a significant step forward in the process.

DOJ declined to comment. Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Apple investigation is one of a series of efforts by Congress, DOJ and the Federal Trade Commission to rein in the mammoth tech companies that have come to dominate the global internet, social media and online advertising. The FTC is also pursuing an antitrust investigation of Amazon involving both its retail and cloud computing businesses.

The Apple case is particularly significant because it would open a second, massive battle with the tech industry at DOJ. The Justice Department is already litigating a case against Google over its search business and is preparing a second lawsuit over its advertising operations. While DOJ could still decide not to sue, the deliberations about how to frame a complaint make a case more likely.

Any case is going to be a hard fight for DOJ, and with a market cap of $2.73 trillion, Apple has near endless resources to defend itself. It has already shown a willingness to litigate to protect its lucrative App Store, going to trial against Fortnite maker Epic Games last year.

To date, much of the attention on a potential Justice Department case against Apple has focused on its App Store, the only way for users to download applications on iPhones and iPads. But the case DOJ is now considering extends well beyond the Apple-controlled payment system and the high commissions that have drawn the ire of software developers for years, according to the individuals.

Prosecutors are also homing in on whether and how Apple’s control over its physical devices harms competitors beyond app developers. DOJ is focused heavily on public complaints leveled by Tile, a maker of devices and technology used to find lost items, according to three people with knowledge of the government’s work. All were granted anonymity to discuss confidential meetings.

Tile’s tracking devices compete against Apple’s AirTags.

Tile has been public about its complaints, testifying in congressional hearings that Apple has made it more difficult for the company’s devices to access needed location data, and restricted access to key hardware components in its phones.

DOJ lawyers in San Francisco are leading the probe, and have been reaching out in recent weeks to companies that partner with Tile to enable the company’s location tracking technology in their devices, according to the three people. In those meetings, the three people said, department officials have made clear that both Apple’s App Store and mobile phone operating systems at large are under scrutiny. Tile declined to comment.

Complaints around Apple’s App Store have been percolating for years, and are focused on the company’s policies prohibiting outside payments for in-app purchases and rules barring iPhone users from circumventing the store to download software on the devices. That’s in contrast to devices running Google’s Android operating system, which generally allow users to install apps from rival sources. Google, however, is also facing antitrust scrutiny in the U.S. and Europe over its app store.

Epic Games went to trial against Apple last year over the App Store restrictions on its Fortnite video game, largely losing its case but attracting the interest of DOJ prosecutors who attended every day of the three-week legal showdown.

The federal judge in the Epic case ruled that Apple is not a monopolist but said the company has unfairly restricted access to its phones and must allow third-party payment systems. Both sides are appealing, and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has scheduled a hearing for late October.

The timing of a potential DOJ case against the company is almost certain to be dictated at least in part by the Epic case. Justice Department officials will likely want to wait for the outcome of the appeal to help decide how to frame a possible lawsuit. In her ruling, the trial judge expressly said that while Epic did not prove its case, it’s possible that another plaintiff could.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you're moving from California you're probably doing it to save money on property. Moving cross-state is a huge loving pain in the rear end and there are plenty of weird little enclaves to be found in California where you can be conservative.

Morons in other states are taught to hate Californians

(A) because they've never left their bumpkinville towns to know poo poo about anything

(B) they think that Californians are responsible for the housing crisis

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOJ is drafting an anti-trust suit against Apple and could launch it in the next few months. They will likely wait until after the appeal of the Epic Games lawsuit against Apple is finished to file the suit.

The DOJ is also investigating whether to launch an anti-trust suit against Amazon for both its Amazon.com business and the Amazon Web Services division.

The DOJ is seeking:

- To break up the App store in order to stop Apple from punishing competitors to its in-house Apps.

- Requiring the company to spinoff its "business services" divisions; including Apple Pay, Apple TV+, Apple Music, and its in-app payment system.

- To prove that Apple uses its market dominance to unfairly harm smaller tech companies.

- To force Apple to allow third-party Apps that use its hardware (such as tracking apps) to operate without restrictions.

- To force Apple to allow third-party Apps access to location data and other data on the phone that they need to operate and compete against Apple's in-house apps.

- To force Apple to either allow the installation of other operating systems on its phones or stop ios from preventing users from installing apps on their iphones that don't go through the App store.

- To require Apple to allow payment through third-party payment processors or apps.

https://twitter.com/joshua_sisco/status/1563213380407611392

Facebook/Meta specifically has really wanted the Apple privacy data unlocked, so congrats to their ability to continue as a viable business.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about making apple drop its special connector and use USB-C?

I read somewhere that the EU is doing that, we might finally get the one true ruler that rules them all.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOJ is seeking:

This would mostly destroy Apple's ability to keep its devices secure. It's obvious how Apple's position in the market is open to abuse, but I'm skeptical that a slow-rolling supply-chain attack on the security of the iOS/iPadOS platform is ultimately a win for consumers.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judgy Fucker posted:

So was he capable of being more active earlier but just chose not to for purely electoral reasons?

My current favourite theory

https://mobile.twitter.com/lolennui/status/1562819525732892674

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

I'm amazed to find out anything that Black Hammer does or gets involved in, especially after their colorado commune land grift poo poo, but will be triply interested in anything that gets dished about their connection to, apparently, Gavin McInnes being blacksited spontaneously during a liveshow

Personally just really hanging out to see Gavin McInnes thrown in jail. There are millions of worse people who are far more deserving of jail time, but in terms of being just personally annoying I hope he gets sent to Guantanamo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Personally just really hanging out to see Gavin McInnes thrown in jail. There are millions of worse people who are far more deserving of jail time, but in terms of being just personally annoying I hope he gets sent to Guantanamo

Why would you inflict that on the people in Guantanamo? What did they do to you to deserve that?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Why would you inflict that on the people in Guantanamo? What did they do to you to deserve that?

Well if everyone does their jobs correctly he would only be inflicted on the Americans there, who absolutely deserve it!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

some plague rats posted:

I still can only recommend hanging out also to see what happens with black hammer and how it relates to the proud boys and gavin

Mostly because everything that's been happening with black hammer, especially with their spontaneous transition to "defense of traditional values from woke leftists oh and also we chained homeless people up to rape" absolutely Jim Jones level cult batshittery that I can hardly do justice trying to describe

And now gavin is tied in with all that

And I don't want to miss anything

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tagesschau posted:

This would mostly destroy Apple's ability to keep its devices secure. It's obvious how Apple's position in the market is open to abuse, but I'm skeptical that a slow-rolling supply-chain attack on the security of the iOS/iPadOS platform is ultimately a win for consumers.

Oh this is easy. There *is* no win for consumers under capitalism.

Give away privacy at the expense of cheaper flagships? Android.
Have more privacy at the expense of buying into a more expensive ecosystem? Apple.

There is no ideal candidate for the consumer.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Apple‘s app review process is entirely subjective, one can have an app that meets every single rule to the letter and still have it rejected.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Yup

"A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So, does that mean Arizona is growing more conservative or less? Maricopa County's voting patterns have changed, but what explains the nutcases taking over the Arizona GOP?

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/06/1116005117/kansas-arizona-abortion-maricopa-county-voters

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Eric Cantonese posted:

So, does that mean Arizona is growing more conservative or less? Maricopa County's voting patterns have changed, but what explains the nutcases taking over the Arizona GOP?

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/06/1116005117/kansas-arizona-abortion-maricopa-county-voters

The GOP is radicalizing everywhere. Some of it is Trump letting them know just what is possible and acceptable and that they don't have to pretend anymore.

Some of it might have also been former Republicans who were less-crazy (but still lovely) leaving the party, calling themselves independent, but still mostly voting Republican. (Its why self-identified Independents have been trending conservative)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If you're moving from California you're probably doing it to save money on property. Moving cross-state is a huge loving pain in the rear end and there are plenty of weird little enclaves to be found in California where you can be conservative.

Is there a good source of advice anywhere on moving between states? Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of "do I want to live the rest of my life in a state where I probably won't be able to get married within a few years", but since I have no particular preferences on which of the blue states in the Union I'd like to live in, it's hard to even know where to begin or what would be feasible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
R-voting 'Independents' has been a thing forever. Something like the Shy Tory effect. It's entirely a branding issue for them.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

some plague rats posted:

about that

https://twitter.com/daithaigilbert/status/1563183763432935424

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

BonoMan posted:

Oh this is easy. There *is* no win for consumers under capitalism.

The last two words are superfluous. Capitalism is wholly irrelevant to the trust relationships involved here.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

They couldn't even let me have this, could they.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a good source of advice anywhere on moving between states? Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of "do I want to live the rest of my life in a state where I probably won't be able to get married within a few years", but since I have no particular preferences on which of the blue states in the Union I'd like to live in, it's hard to even know where to begin or what would be feasible.

Get a remote work job, if possible. Otherwise, search for jobs in the area you want to move to.

Get an insured mover. If the moving price is too good to be true, it is, and you'll wait weeks longer to get your poo poo back than promised and a lot of the delicate stuff will be broken.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

Us News and World Report has their rankings. That is a place to start. From there, you would have to look at your career options compared to the local cost of living. (Enjoy paying the 14th amendment premium.) If you are price sensitive at at all, it looks like you are limited to Maine, Vermont, and New Mexico. "Best Places" Has a bunch of rankings. You can then compare them to the Ballotpedia Blue/Red map. Continue doing research, then give up and look for job postings in Brattleboro, Vermont Only other advice is, cross Wisconsin off your list.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Drawing a distinction between the PPP “loans”, which were basically payouts specifically to keep people employed and businesses afloat in an unprecedented crisis, and student loan debt forgiveness, is actually a coherent argument isn’t it?

gently caress these people, I know they’re never acting in good faith, and education should be free anyway, but am I missing anything about the technicalities of the argument?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's no technicality, it's just a gotcha. "You just said loans should never be forgiven, but you accepted it when we forgave your PPP loans! Gotcha!" Just a way of calling them hypocrites.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I just don’t think it’s as good a gotcha as it seems, because they are pretty different things. But eh, whatever, nuance is dead so take what we can get I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also how most of those PPP loans were naked grift and just pocketed money meant to pay employees and such.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Yeah I just don’t think it’s as good a gotcha as it seems, because they are pretty different things. But eh, whatever, nuance is dead so take what we can get I guess.

It's not an argument about nuance, it's an argument about ideology. Since everything Biden does is bad, now forgiving any kind of loan no matter the nuance is bad. Except when it's their loans.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If it takes more than words to explain the difference than it does the “gotcha” then the public will ignore it.

Plus it keeps “you took PPP” in the discourse which sounds like “you took pee pee” and that makes me giggle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drawing a distinction between the PPP “loans”, which were basically payouts specifically to keep people employed and businesses afloat in an unprecedented crisis, and student loan debt forgiveness, is actually a coherent argument isn’t it?

gently caress these people, I know they’re never acting in good faith, and education should be free anyway, but am I missing anything about the technicalities of the argument?

There's a systemic reason it's considered acceptable for our system to just hand out free money to corporations and rich elites but somehow it is not acceptable to hand out money to those in direct personal need.

This is pointing out not just personal, but systemic, hypocrisy. It's not just a "gotcha", it is a substantive, systemic critique of American capitalism. We know this because it isn't just one hypocrite, it's all of them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No, it wouldn't hold up in a debate club argument and yes if you start looking for cross tabs on the argument it's not 1:1.

That also doesn't matter in the level of poo poo flinging "OTHER TEAM BAD DO BAD THINGS BE NOT GOOD" discourse Fox has been spouting for decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given debate club has been dominated by fascists for decades last I checked that probably shouldn't be anyone's standard for anything.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tagesschau posted:

The last two words are superfluous. Capitalism is wholly irrelevant to the trust relationships involved here.

Right that was my point? Unless I’m misunderstanding.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

BonoMan posted:

Right that was my point? Unless I’m misunderstanding.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it being a losing proposition for the end user. You could say "under communism" or "in a world where Nickelback exists" and the statement would be equally true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tagesschau posted:

Capitalism has nothing to do with it being a losing proposition for the end user. You could say "under communism" or "in a world where Nickelback exists" and the statement would be equally true.

My point was precisely that capitalism is independent of anything being "good" OR bad for the consumer.

edit: Basically when I said “under capitalism” I mean “when discussing capitalism.” Not that capitalism is a ruling policy like democracy or socialism.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 27, 2022